PDA

View Full Version : Festival Free Festival!!! This weekend!!!

monkey monkey
08-05--2006, 03:16 PM
Hello.

I heard a story the other day. It was about a shepherd who lived on the top of a mountain. He had tended the sheep all his life, as had his father, and his father before him. If not for the brief moments that he had spent with his parents and random travellers, he would have not met another man.

The travellers which passed were usually on some kind of spiritual journey or quest. Some looked troubled and weary, while ohers looked calm and tranquil. They were offered board & lodging and, in return, they helped out the shepherd in his work, though there wasn't a great deal to do, the peace and calm treated them well. So well, in fact, that some of them found their peace on the mountaintop, and needed to continue on their quest no longer, as they had found within them that which they were looking for.

The sheep which were herded were not bred for meat, but for their wool which was soft and bright; much more so than the flocks grazing in the fields below, or in the farms beyond. One of the reasons for this was their diet. It is true that the sheep ate much grass, but at some point in the year, when the trees were ripe with fruit, the shepherd would take 1 sheep and hold her above his head so that she could eat an apple. When it was finished, he would put the her down and hold another to the tree. This he would do until all the sheep were fed.

One day, another traveller came along and saw the shepherd feeding the fruit to his flock. He sat watching for a few minutes, then an hour, then a few hours. The shepherd had only managed to feed less than half the flock in a whole day. Traveller walked over to the shepherd and greeted him.

They shook hands and, then traveller said:

"Why don't you just pick the apples from the tree and give them to the sheep? It would be far more efficient, and give you time to do other things."

The shepherd looked puzzled, he turned to the traveller and said:

"What's time to a sheep?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The moral of this tale is that for something to flourish and be all that it can be, though there are definite things which must be done, time limits should not be attached to it. Time is a man-made concept, it has no bearing on the true reality of things, so anything which has set time limits to it, is not part of true reality.

This being the case, there is an opportunity for you all to take a break from this reality, and step sideways into a land of dreams and music.

The Come Together festival is on the 13th & 14th May. That's this Saturday & Sunday in Henley-on-Thames. The website is here: http://www.come-together.org.uk/ (http://www.come-together.org.uk/)

It will be a beautiful weekend.

Dexter's Friends will be playing an hour's worth of Sunshine Dub in the Bar on Sunday at 3.45pm.

Don't miss it, the Summer starts here...

Dexter's Friends
Sunday, 14th May
The Bar
The Come Together Festival
3:45pm - 4:45pm

***peace&dub***

stardust
08-05--2006, 04:46 PM
i went there last year. tis a lovely little festival.

the only thing i would say though is that if you're planning on taking a big vehicle, park it somewhere outside of town and walk/bus in. i had an absoloute nightmare trying to park anywhere last time, and that was in a rather small car!!!

sensamelia
11-05--2006, 04:55 PM
why are they always to far away....sobs:(

Whirler
15-05--2006, 09:04 AM
Didn't go to the festi but enjoyed the story! :D

monkey monkey
15-05--2006, 03:36 PM
Didn't go to the festi but enjoyed the story! :D

Thank you. :)

It was a lovely weekend, a bit of trouble on Saturday night, when hordes of youngsters overflowing on cheap cider descended on the site, but all in all a remarkable event, specacularly run by people putting in hours and hours of hard work for no financial reward.

There were several different stages - Main Stage, 'Acoustic' Stage, Dub Tent (respect to Jah Lion), and the Bar, plus open mic areas and outdoor theatrical performances.

There were spaces for art & craft, as well as workshops, ranging from dancing to didging. Being friends with many who helped organise and run various parts of the weekend, I could see first hand the effort which they all went to to make it the resounding success it was. I am in awe of their skills.

For those who aren't aware of it, it was started 5 years ago in a Rugby club, and since then it has grown and grown, and is now 2 full days, in a beautiful location off the River Thames.

It brings in a wide variety of local musical acts, both signed and unsigned. It is free entrance and all who work, whether it be stewarding or performing, give their time for nothing.

I think it is important to support events like this, as it is open to a real cross of the population, and with many of the larger music based festivals being run by corporations such as Mean Fiddler (the name says it all), we need to do all we can to keep the music alive.

If you hear of a local event near you, please go!! Let YOUR community know that you support it - the more that it is realised how appreciated these things are, the more funding will be available for artistic events. Some may be small with not much support, but that is why we need to be there, to give them ours.

I hope you can all come to Henley next year, but in the meantime, find out what's going on on your doorstep, and when you invite me, write me a story, too. Maybe I'll turn up...

peace.

Dapablo
15-05--2006, 04:06 PM
Nice to hear you enjoyed.

Local is all I get down this neck of the woods, and bless em for it. :)