PDA

View Full Version : World News China and america?!

Hairbear
13-05--2006, 12:24 AM
Is it just me or are china and america going to become the next two world powers? I mean america have so much infulence nowerdays in the world...its getting a bit crazy, and well China they are begining to catch up with the world and because of its size will probably over take.

Im not sure whats going on anymore:( i got confused after world war two, but the point is that what would happen is China and America are the two world powers and they start a war(hypatheticly speaking that is) then what? wh owould we side with? and whats with that?

I dont know this was just a random thought in the middle of the night, just wanted peoples inputs to it is all:hippy:

Hairbear

_chris_
15-05--2006, 04:47 PM
quite simply, they wouldnt war

much like the USSR and the states, it most likely wouldnt happen.

Elfriend
15-05--2006, 06:12 PM
America is already trying to prevent China from aquiring more power - whole point of why they want to invade Iran. Iran and China just happened to have signed a huge oil and gas deal at around the same time america decided Iran needed sorting out.

crap muppet
15-05--2006, 08:22 PM
America is on the run from China now. Thankfully China has enough military might to tell them to fuck off (Nukes are bad and they both know it but they only work as a deterrent if everybody doesn't have them - which applies whether you are going to use them or not which I'd hope neither side would..... although in all honesty I see China as being the most sensible in that area believe it or not!!!).

phil
16-05--2006, 09:56 AM
china seems far worse environmentaly and has a worse human rights record than the states but doesnt seem to get as much negative press for some reason. I've often wondered why.

Elfriend
16-05--2006, 12:06 PM
china seems far worse environmentaly and has a worse human rights record than the states but doesnt seem to get as much negative press for some reason. I've often wondered why.

it's because China is considered more "backward" than America. We expect it from China and take it as a matter of course but we're shocked when America puts a foot out of line 'cos they're so much more "civilised"

Roach
16-05--2006, 12:09 PM
America is already a superpower

gaz or jazz
16-05--2006, 02:56 PM
perhaps its got something to do with it being such a closed society its only just opening up,in a small way ,now.

gaz or jazz
16-05--2006, 02:58 PM
its a good job that china does not have great oil reserves,to my limited knowledge anyway,they have nuclear capability and a appalling human rights record....which were the reasons george w invaded iraq wasn't it.
must be next stop on world tour.

Golaf
16-05--2006, 04:03 PM
id like to see both of them disappear

crap muppet
16-05--2006, 07:44 PM
appalling human rights record....

When America was at a similar stage in its industrialisation it wasn't any better on that front.

Thankfully readily available technologies (Some good some bad ie nuclear) speed up the process of industrialisation significantly - look at the speed some Asian countries industrialised in the early-mid 20th century. they are now looking at the environmental impact of what they are doing and trying to improve.

Hopefully this will mean at least to some extent the massive environmental impact will reduce quickly if nothing else....

TheSoupdragon
18-05--2006, 07:41 PM
I bet not many Victorian Generals get quote on this board, but one General Garnet Wolseley predicted 150 years ago that China and America would be the next world powers. Not a bad prediction given that at the time a quater of the globe was British and most of the rest French.

Sir Garnet though is still best remembered for having the piss taken out of him by Gilbert and Sulivan in The Pirates of Penzance (he was the original Very Model of a Modern Major General).

Sorry for an obsure posting - I'll stop now.

Hairbear
18-05--2006, 10:16 PM
well iwaas impressed by that last comment :) its okay you can keep doing it...

Either way, i know America is a world power, but its just im sure one of them is going to get a little to out of their leage and do something they wil later regret. I think its a matter of who does what and when, although im not so great on the todays world, im much more of a history person myself.

I think that in the next 50 or so years, there will be another way (not that its a good thing)

TheSoupdragon
19-05--2006, 07:09 AM
China is a real mixed bag at the moment though.

It's repressive and the labour conditions are abysmal, the Three Gorges Dam is an environmental disaster and then there's Tibet...

But it isn't really a military power. Sure it has nnukes, but not many, and it's armed forces are only really comparable to India and Japan - both smaller countries. Even the rep[ression is a bit patchy, there's a Chinese Greenpeace and they've just opened their prisons up to human rights inspectors.

Very difficult to predict the future but I think a simplistic US=good China=bad is long way off the mark.

Kat
04-07--2006, 04:41 PM
Tomorrow morning i fly to China.. Will report back stories of what its like when i get home :)