PDA

View Full Version : Funniest things people say

Flibbertigibbet
08-10--2005, 02:38 PM
What funny or odd things have people said to you when you tell them you are veg*an ?

Mine is when people say "you dont look like a vegan" :insane:

Atomik
08-10--2005, 02:56 PM
"Aren't vegetarians meant to be skinny?" :badmood:

Flibbertigibbet
08-10--2005, 03:00 PM
I think thats what they mean when they ask me..:rolleyes:

Also people in all seriousness say "what on earth do you eat " as if they cant believe there is anything but lettuce ..

Atomik
08-10--2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that's a regular one. "Ummmm.... everything except meat?"

voodoo_moth
08-10--2005, 03:36 PM
The most random one i heard straight of the bat was:

"Is it true you guys taste better down there ;) than meat eaters?"- or something along those lines.

He's a friend who's very flirty and charming and said it with that wink.

apart from that it's the usual. what do you eat and the look of horror and "but why??" *blah* *blah* *blah*

Atomik
08-10--2005, 03:43 PM
"Is it true you guys taste better down there ;) than meat eaters?"- or something along those lines. Apparently that is true, but having never gone down on a meat-eater, I can't say for certain. :angel:

stormypagan
08-10--2005, 04:13 PM
Apart from "what do you eat .. Lettuce??" the other one I hate is "but don't vegetables feel pain too" .... ahhhhhhh!!! <runs screaming from the room wielding an axe> hehe!!

Claerie
11-10--2005, 06:29 PM
I think thats what they mean when they ask me..:rolleyes:

Also people in all seriousness say "what on earth do you eat " as if they cant believe there is anything but lettuce ..

i get that one and they also tell me I'll make myself ill:frust:

Kat
11-10--2005, 06:37 PM
how do you survive is pretty common...:rolleyes:
and...but dont you just crave it?!?
and no i dont:broc:

Atomik
11-10--2005, 06:39 PM
and...but dont you just crave it?!?
and no i dont:broc:I hate that myth that veggies crave meat. I never missed it once in 17 yrs.

Claerie
11-10--2005, 06:44 PM
The classic: "Bet you still have the odd bacon sandwich don't you? Come on admit it!"

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Atomik
11-10--2005, 06:45 PM
The classic: "Bet you still have the odd bacon sandwich don't you? Come on admit it!"

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:Yeah, the bacon one's weird. Some veggies do seem to crave it though, but the smell of it makes me gag. :vomit:

matthew
11-10--2005, 06:53 PM
Going out for meals with friends.. they ask me 'what do you want ?, heard the chickens nice'.. even though i declared i am a vegeterian the previous week and have done [had too] because even after ohh i think 10 years.. they still believe i am going to 'crack'..

Atomik
11-10--2005, 06:56 PM
This is where having a bad attitude helps. Don't think anyone would venture down that route with me :reddevil:

matthew
11-10--2005, 07:32 PM
It is because of my bad attitude they do it..just to piss me off... i guess i should have learned to 'chill out' by now.. Nope, they get me every time grrrrr

Atomik
11-10--2005, 07:39 PM
In which case, you're clearly not responding with sufficient violence :wink3:

matthew
11-10--2005, 07:48 PM
In which case, you're clearly not responding with sufficient violence :wink3:

I just don't have the energy or strengh Dok'..you know, being a vegeterian and all... *collapses with the effort of typing more than my name*

uma
12-10--2005, 12:57 PM
All of the above and more! Since i'm now following a celieac diet(wheat and gluten free) too and am vegan people are very very confused as to what i eat and where i get my protein etc from. But i have never felt healthier! I have the best possible diet now-thanks to my wonderful organic vege box which i get delivered once a week. Given i have lost a bit of weight but nothing too drastic. Its sometimes difficult to eat out but other than that when people ask me what i eat, i just invite then round for a meal sometime and then they can experience the wonderful food for themselves:wiggle: Sorted!
In Dharma
Uma gyen
x x x

Whirler
12-10--2005, 01:40 PM
It's been a long time since I've received any negative response towards my diet, infact, I'd say I've had the opposite reaction from people, people are genuinely interested in my reasons and are always keen to say how much they like veggie food! The most memorable thing that's ever been said to me (repeatedly) was by my grandmother who kept asking "what's wrong with you!" She really couldn't understand why I didn't want to eat meat or fish, everytime I saw her she'd ask if I was still on that stupid diet. Silly person.

random_spontaneosity
13-10--2005, 01:43 PM
i really dont like it when people,and i must say its only guys,call what im eating rabbit food. some lettuce in a cheese sandwich... 'why you eating rabbit food?'

the other day i got an almost out of date salad cheap for my lunch when i did some shospping and im sitting there eating it and the person who came with me was like 'how can you eat that? i never eat that, i used to give it to my rabbit, thats all its good for' grr. its not just rabbit food. catapillars and stuff eat it too

Lozi
22-10--2005, 05:22 AM
im not vegan but i have a friend who is, and she tried to order bread or something in pizza hut.... in wembley i think...and the waiter person said something stupid like "we have milk"....

damntheirlies
05-06--2006, 02:55 PM
The most recent I've heard is:

"You just can't differentiate between humans and animals".

Terrific.

starpoi
05-06--2006, 06:08 PM
I am intolerant to wheat, corn, milk, egg white, yeast, sesame, bananas, oranges, citrus fruit, mushrooms, grapes, kiwi and caffiene. I also can't eat any refined sugar, aspartame, artificial food colourings and preservatives. I have been veggie for a while and when i found out i was intolerant to milk and eggs i decided i might as well go all the way and be vegan.

This means that I get the 'What the hell do you eat?" question all the time!

I'm so hungry!

Atomik
05-06--2006, 06:15 PM
This means that I get the 'What the hell do you eat?" question all the time!Chips. :reddevil:

Atomik
05-06--2006, 06:16 PM
The most recent I've heard is:

"You just can't differentiate between humans and animals".

Terrific.:clap:

Priceless.

Owl Knees
10-06--2006, 11:58 PM
I was at a party and I told this woman I was vegetarian and she said "Do vegetarian's eat chicken? If you do you can have this chicken leg".

kaosK
11-06--2006, 01:35 AM
i always get at work"shame your veg i bet u woulds realy like this sreak it realnice"

no its not for one it once belonged to something alive and it has blood driping from it ....no thanks

Milo
11-06--2006, 12:18 PM
What really, really, really annoys me (for some reason), is,

"What can you eat?"

and

"Oh, you can't eat that then, can you........."

My non-facetious polite answer,

"I can eat whatever I want to eat", occasionally backed up with,

"It's not an illness, it's not a religion.........".

Really it's as close to a religion as I get, but that takes more explanation than I can generally be bothered to provide.

sensamelia
11-06--2006, 12:42 PM
cant say ive ever had a negative response to my diet
all my family are meat eaters .....all the kids
so its doubly hard as there is always meat cooking
my hubby prepares all the meat
i try to sneak in veggie alternatives and as a rule they dont notice

i must say though i do enjoy the smell of ste cooking sausages.......now is that the smell of ste or the sausages....um:whistle:

Whirler
11-06--2006, 12:47 PM
"Oh, you can't eat that then, can you........."I had this the other day from my family (2 of them have actually had various stages of veg'ism in their lives)We'd got an Indian takeaway and were given some free chicken of some sort, so my mum says 'you can't eat it ha ha' to which I replied 'yes I can eat it if I want but I chose not to' and mentally emptied her food over her head!

I think she was just being playful but people don't really think about what they're saying half the time, it's obvious what they really think when they use terms like 'can't'.

Flibbertigibbet
12-06--2006, 02:22 PM
Oh yes and people who slaver and slobber and pretended to drool whilst....chopping on some meat and then say "oh you dont know what you are missing" :eek:

on my msn under my name it says vegan by coice not by chance

Atomik
12-06--2006, 02:26 PM
Oh yes and people who slaver and slobber and pretended to drool whilst....chopping on some meat and then say "oh you dont know what you are missing" :eek:

on my msn under my name it says vegan by coice not by chanceCrazy, isn't it? It's like somebody raping a woman in front of you and saying "You should join in! You don't know what you're missing out on!". Yeah, if I put indulging my physical sensations before my sense of morality, then I'm sure I'd find rape very appealing. :rolleyes:

I don't mind people not agreeing with my lifestyle, but it pisses me off when they can't respect it - and I'm not shy about saying so!

Miserablemik
12-06--2006, 05:58 PM
I'm not too sure as on omnivore I should post here:o, but I'm surprised non of you has heard the old chestnut "Oh....Hitler :hitler: was a vegetarian, so what do you think of that etc etc etc". In fact Hitler was'nt a veggie (He had a personal sausage cook) and to be honest I cannot see what difference it would make to the subject if he was......
Oh and BTW, I live on a farm that rears its own stock organically and free range, tho I suspect I still deserve a slap!! :whack:

Whirler
12-06--2006, 07:12 PM
I'm surprised non of you has heard the old chestnut "Oh....Hitler :hitler: was a vegetarian, so what do you think of that etc etc etc". In fact Hitler was'nt a veggie (He had a personal sausage cook) and to be honest I cannot see what difference it would make to the subject if he was......Yeah, that one does come up quite a lot - even on these forums!!! It's like some people feel threatened by the moral inferiority complex that they have so by stating the Hitler thang they're vindicating their own moral choice.

Or summink. :wiggle:

Starling
17-06--2006, 01:26 PM
I always get into arguments with certain friends of mine. Apparantly by not eating animals, but eating plants, it's discrimination! "why are animals more important than plants?" "If you don't eat animals then you shouldn't eat plants!". Those ones really make me foam at the mouth :mad: Apart from the fact that what they said is bullshit, they seem to forget that they don't give a shit about either!

weecab
18-06--2006, 11:27 AM
My all time favourite is "yeah, but you can make an exception, just this once".

No!!!:mad:

Oh and "bet you've come home pissed and sneaked a burger"

again, No!!:mad:

What is it? The big 'N' or the wee 'o', you don't understand!!

PeacePiper
18-06--2006, 09:36 PM
I always get into arguments with certain friends of mine. Apparantly by not eating animals, but eating plants, it's discrimination! "why are animals more important than plants?" "If you don't eat animals then you shouldn't eat plants!". Those ones really make me foam at the mouth :mad: Apart from the fact that what they said is bullshit, they seem to forget that they don't give a shit about either!

The problem with this is that I somewhat agree :o if I followed my principles fully, I'd have to be fruitarian :eek: not quite sure I'm capable of that yet

leapinglepus
18-06--2006, 10:26 PM
I was trying to find something to eat in a school canteen. It wwas turkey twizzlers or fish in batter. I asked the cook if there was anything veggie and she said "yes, fish". I said thats not veggie its fish but she insisted it wasn;t meat! Well, i've never seen a vegatable that had a central nervous system and eyes!

I think I had some lumpy mash and spaghetti hoops.

jenni
18-06--2006, 10:35 PM
me: sorry, no cake for me, im a vegan....
confuzzled yet adorable elderly lady: there isn't any meat in it dear....
me: yeah...um...i gathered that, but erm....vegans dont eat eggs....
lady: ....
me: ....
lady: you know the chickens dont die to make the eggs?
me: umm....yeah....that's....umm....not the point though....
lady: are vegans the people that only eat rotting fruit?
me: erm....nope....i think i would have noticed if i was one of them....
me: smiles weakly
lady: shuffles away....

that was an amusing day....:insane:

Starling
19-06--2006, 11:39 AM
me: sorry, no cake for me, im a vegan....
confuzzled yet adorable elderly lady: there isn't any meat in it dear....
me: yeah...um...i gathered that, but erm....vegans dont eat eggs....
lady: you know the chickens dont die to make the eggs?
me: umm....yeah....that's....umm....not the point though....
lady: are vegans the people that only eat rotting fruit?
me: erm....nope....i think i would have noticed if i was one of them....
me: smiles weakly
lady: shuffles away....

that was an amusing day....:insane:

Hehe! So funny, but hardly anyone that isn't vegan knows what one is, and why they are one. Most people can barely grasp the idea of a vegetarian not eating fish. I have to admit that when i was younger i was one of those people who'd say "but chickens don't die when they lay eggs!".... at least i had age as an excuse (i was like 10 or something) :rolleyes: