Wow...

anyone else want to join in?

Atomik
22-09--2005, 11:00 AM
Veggie and proud :D

Zonk
22-09--2005, 11:49 AM
Veggie and proud :D

I'm a veggie that relapses occasionally.

I wonder if there's a 12 step programme for that.....:confused:

Atomik
22-09--2005, 11:50 AM
I'm a veggie that relapses occasionally.Or a meat-eater who doesn't eat much meat..... :p

Zonk
22-09--2005, 11:53 AM
Or a meat-eater who doesn't eat much meat..... :p

:(

Now I know I'll never touch flesh again!

Thanks Doc!:D

Jaz
22-09--2005, 12:08 PM
heehee i'm veggie apart from all those little fishies that keep finding their way to my mouth...

Dapablo
22-09--2005, 12:30 PM
Used to be till I met my lady, she can't/won't eat rice or pasta, and cooking became a real pain in the proverbial. My 10 year old has become vegetarian, keep thinking I may join her.

Atomik
22-09--2005, 12:34 PM
I've been lucky in that all the ladies in my past have been veggie. I really don't think I could get intimate with a meat-eater. I certainly couldn't go back to eating meat after 17 years.

Dandy
22-09--2005, 12:41 PM
I haven't have a relationship with a meater since i have become a veggie, not atleast anything long term.. i just find them some how.. not on purpose it just happens. Its easier, but then again i never thought about how it woudl be to be with a meat-eater. Man i guess i will get used to it if it happens. I don't think i mind to much as long as they respect what i feel! Hehehe, people don't mind usually either!

Veggienism is cool, i'm looking forward to making my own meat-free dinners at uni, my sister baught me a student vegetarian cook book - i am capable to make my own but, hey this is cool and has all sorts of things i'd never normally think to cook... its even got hang over cures! Wow!

Uni uni wooo woo!

Atomik
22-09--2005, 12:51 PM
I haven't have a relationship with a meater since i have become a veggie, not atleast anything long term.. i just find them some how.. not on purpose it just happens. Yeah, same here. I've never actively sought out veggies, just seems to happen that way. But then I guess you're more likely to connect with someone if you have shared interests and priorities.

The problem with dating meat eaters would be stuff like if they wanted to cook meat in your house, or snog you after eating a burger. Also, I think of all the times I've had to search around for somewhere decent to eat, and if your partner is veggie, they understand that. But if they ate meat, the pressure would be there to settle for any old shit veggie option. And then it's also nice to share the excitement of discovering good veggie food etc. Hmmm. Don't reckon I could date a meat eater.

Dandy
22-09--2005, 12:56 PM
Yeeah actually your right, whenever i'm out with a bunch of meat-eaters (sounds like we hate 'em don't it), its really difficult to get them to accept i don't want to go to someone were the only thing on the menu is, " pittiful deep fat fried veggie-burger and naff chips" .. they think thats good enough and whilst i can deal with it for a while, it is nice to have a bit of an option.. and most places people want to go don't have that option and it sucks. They don't seem to understand why i'd actually like something any better! Ah well, i suppose i'm glad i got my self-cater halls, theres no worries about what i will eat because i can cook for myself! Although i may come across some inconsiderate house mates unfortunatly!

Alasdair
22-09--2005, 01:06 PM
Still not sure if I. Or rather, if we (my girlfriend and I) could ever go veggie. We're going to have a veggie wek soon to see. Think what I'll miss most will be lardons in salad and the possibility of a decent chinese take-away.

Atomik
22-09--2005, 01:08 PM
That's actually how I started. 17yrs ago I decided to go veggie for a week and see what it was like. Never looked back.

Alasdair
22-09--2005, 01:13 PM
I'll let you know how it turns out then. :p

Atomik
22-09--2005, 01:16 PM
Good luck! The cute little animals need your help :D

The Original Laney
22-09--2005, 02:54 PM
I eat fish.. so I'm a fake vegge..

Boy Anachronism
22-09--2005, 04:12 PM
I've ate meat about once or twice in the past year...when very very drunk. Felt really guilty afterwards though. I'm sick of the crap veggie meals when you eat out though, and I'm sick of none of my local supermarkets selling quorn (I don't care what anybody says, I like meat substitutes.)

Dandy
22-09--2005, 04:14 PM
I think some of the meaty subs aren't so bad, i don't mind them in the slightest can make making dinner more simple some nights. I like Lynda MaCartney sausages.. yum yum!

Whirler
22-09--2005, 05:58 PM
Wow...

anyone else want to join in?
Oui! Oui! Veggie for 16 years and proud.......I think for me it's the most important issue in my life yet it's so much a part of my life that I forget that people still eat meat!

I don't get that whole anti-meat substitute thing, the bottom line is; you're not eating meat! Flavourings and texture doesn't mean shit, infact, most of the time meat dishes are flavoured with herbs and sauces anyway so what's the problem?

I used to really like quorn but now it disturbs me, in a gm kinda way.......love Linda Mac sausages though! I'm trying to move away from processed foods so I don't eat too much in the way of meat alternatives and such like, but for the occasional treat - why not? Dok makes a mean veggie burger.....

random_spontaneosity
22-09--2005, 06:49 PM
i was gona be a pain and post a thread saying 'im a vegetarian and i want to make the second thread' but i tore myself away.

im veggie. been veggie for sometime, cant remember how long. coz it all happened so fast...

i gave up red meat. then about a year later my mum got angry and said 'im bored of eating chicken, either you start eating properly or become vegetarian' so i went veggie, coz i didnt want to eat red meat again...

it was quite funny coz even though id gone veggie some of my friends parents too a while to warm to it so i had to eat some meat for about a month or 2 coz my mates mum kept forgetting!! and im too nice to say no when she'd cooked it all!!

Kat
22-09--2005, 09:23 PM
Im a Veggie... and I've never really eaten meat.. My body just cant seem to stand it...Used to spit it out when given it as a toddler...
I dont really know too much what meat tastes like now but I would never take it up again.. mainly for environmental reasons.. eating meat is so costly to the environment!!

Im thinkin gof going Vegan though.. but slowly.. Does anyone have any advice? what to eat to stay healthy?

Whirler
22-09--2005, 09:46 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to make the jump from veggie to vegan especially with the amount of alternatives on the market. Obviously there are the milk alternatives:soya,rice etc and apparently some of the new cheeses are really nice.

You will be lacking in the B vitamins though as animal products have the majority. For example, B12 is from bacteria so cheese is quite a biggy in that department. Your best bet is to have fortified foods like marmite or brewers yeast which have other b vits. added.

This is basically what you need to be eating (sorry for the obvious!):
Shit loads of fresh fruit,
shit loads of fresh/lightly cooked veg,
nuts & seeds,
pulses
sprouts, sprouts, sprouts! (as in sprouted seeds not brussels although they're good too!)
Bean Curd (contains iron hurray!)

A really good way to get all ya amino acids each day is to have a mixture of seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, sesame,linseed,hempseed etc and to crush them up. 1-2 teaspoons a day is enough, chuck 'em in smoothies, cereals etc. I have an addiction currently to rice cakes with tahini, pumpkin seeds and alfalfa sprouts.

Check out the Vegan Society website (http://www.vegansociety.com), I always find it much more helpful than the Vegetarian Soc's site for nutrition and such.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Dandy
22-09--2005, 10:22 PM
spinch is good to plenty of iron.. you'll miss out from not eating meats! i know this... luckily i like spinch... another important thing like earth whirler said is... NUTS... you need it believe me.. cheese is a good sorce of protien also.. yum.. love that cheese.. beans are good too.. altho they make you fart lots.. hhehehehe.. vegimatiariaanism rocks

Whirler
23-09--2005, 05:03 PM
Actually - spinach is not the best source of iron, although it contains lots it also contains something else which blocks absorbtion or something to that effect, I'll try and find out soon and let ya know

:cool:

Jaz
23-09--2005, 05:44 PM
Hmmm. Don't reckon I could date a meat eater.

haha i read that as "don't reckon i could eat a date meter..."

i agree though... veggienism is the way forward

TREASON
27-09--2005, 02:33 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to make the jump from veggie to vegan especially with the amount of alternatives on the market. Obviously there are the milk alternatives:soya,rice etc and apparently some of the new cheeses are really nice.

You will be lacking in the B vitamins though as animal products have the majority. For example, B12 is from bacteria so cheese is quite a biggy in that department. Your best bet is to have fortified foods like marmite or brewers yeast which have other b vits. added.

nuts & seeds,
pulses
sprouts, sprouts, sprouts! (as in sprouted seeds not brussels although they're good too!)

A really good way to get all ya amino acids each day is to have a mixture of seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, sesame,linseed,hempseed etc and to crush them up. 1-2 teaspoons a day is enough, chuck 'em in smoothies, cereals etc. I have an addiction currently to rice cakes with tahini, pumpkin seeds and alfalfa sprouts.

Check out the Vegan Society website (http://www.vegansociety.com), I always find it much more helpful than the Vegetarian Soc's site for nutrition and such.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

they does make been vegan sound slightly grim though.
i had a greasy vegan bacon sausage fried tomato and mushroom sarnie for breakfast, was loverly.

TREASON
27-09--2005, 02:41 PM
just read your other post earth whirler sayin that you need to eat that kind of stuff to stay healthy.
if you can eat what u want though, theres loads of junk to eat, and alot of the processed crap does have the additives you need in them.
as for b12 alpro soya milk has got that in, not sure about other brands though as im a alpro chocolate milk junkie.

Firinne
27-09--2005, 02:58 PM
I'm veggie too, I quite like the meat subs ... they're really handy for quick and easy meals when you're in a rush or when you're cooking for meateaters that don't like a lot of vegetables. We're pretty lucky for veggie food down here, we have a really nice veggie curry house and a Chinese that delivers veggie duck (soya) and pancakes ... I was well pleased when I found those, still holding out for a decent cheap veggie pub meal tho!

Whirler
27-09--2005, 03:10 PM
just read your other post earth whirler sayin that you need to eat that kind of stuff to stay healthy.
if you can eat what u want though, theres loads of junk to eat, and alot of the processed crap does have the additives you need in them. I guess you mean vitamins? Yes some processed food does retain its nutrients however, purely because of the processing a lot of the good stuff is removed and it's harder for the body to digest.

as for b12 alpro soya milk has got that in, not sure about other brands though as im a alpro chocolate milk junkie. Sure, which is why I said that the best bet is to have fortified food. A lot of veg*n products will be fortified with other nutrients like the soya milk which also has others such as calcium and vitamins.

I feel that you may have misunderstood me,Treason. I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't eat 'junk' foods I was simply providing a list of what we need to keep our health at it's optimum level. I'll happily eat a veggie burger 'n chips :mrgreen:

Atomik
27-09--2005, 03:11 PM
I'll happily eat a veggie burger 'n chips :mrgreen:
Make that a double please! :love:

Whirler
27-09--2005, 03:15 PM
We're pretty lucky for veggie food down here, we have a really nice veggie curry house and a Chinese that delivers veggie duck (soya) and pancakes ... I was well pleased when I found those, still holding out for a decent cheap veggie pub meal tho!

Yummy! Living in Glastonbury you'd think we'd have a lot of veggie choice. Most of the veggie places are either closed at night or shit! However, curry houses are always good :mrgreen: and our chinese clocked onto the veggie demand and do a lot of bean curd dishes and cook them properly! The woman who runs it says her brother is a Buddhist and he went vegan at the age of 4 so she has a good understanding of the diet.

Still can't get a decent pub meal locally and especially can't get a Sunday Lunch! Why do people think veggies don't eat roast potatoes?!?:mad: I love Brighton for that.....:)

Whirler
27-09--2005, 03:16 PM
Make that a double please! :love:
Maybe tomorrow if ya lucky :piggy:

Firinne
27-09--2005, 03:22 PM
Yummy! Living in Glastonbury you'd think we'd have a lot of veggie choice. Most of the veggie places are either closed at night or shit! However, curry houses are always good :mrgreen: and our chinese clocked onto the veggie demand and do a lot of bean curd dishes and cook them properly! The woman who runs it says her brother is a Buddhist and he went vegan at the age of 4 so she has a good understanding of the diet.

Still can't get a decent pub meal locally and especially can't get a Sunday Lunch! Why do people think veggies don't eat roast potatoes?!?:mad: I love Brighton for that.....:)

Ooohh, I shall have to beg you for advice on where to eat next time we head up to Glastonbury .. we're way overdue a visit at the mo and I wasn't veggie last time we went so I'm not clued up at all and I reckon I'll need a bit more than a cheese sarnie to set me up for a night on the tiles @ the Backpackers!!

TREASON
27-09--2005, 04:05 PM
yeah sorry, i probably did misunderstand i only scan read it, i wasnt picking at anything you said by the way.
just speaking for myself here but typical vegan food isnt very appealing to me, nut roasts and seeds n pulses etc, id find it hard to be vegan if that was all i could eat, was just pointing out you can eat junky fattenin stuff if ya vegan. its not like you have to give up extra cheese pizzas and live on twigs instead.

Atomik
27-09--2005, 04:15 PM
yeah sorry, i probably did misunderstand i only scan read it, i wasnt picking at anything you said by the way.
just speaking for myself here but typical vegan food isnt very appealing to me, nut roasts and seeds n pulses etc, id find it hard to be vegan if that was all i could eat, was just pointing out you can eat junky fattenin stuff if ya vegan. its not like you have to give up extra cheese pizzas and live on twigs instead.Yeah, it annoys me a bit sometimes when people go on about veggie/vegan diets like they're all pulses, sprouts and muesli. I mean while I enjoy healthy veggie eating, this kinda talk can really put people off if they want nice, fatty alternatives to their meat diet. Mind you, I do still enjoy eating crap food as well as healthy. Can't beat a veggie fry-up for breakfast.

Whirler
27-09--2005, 06:23 PM
just speaking for myself here but typical vegan food isnt very appealing to me, nut roasts and seeds n pulses etc, id find it hard to be vegan if that was all i could eat, was just pointing out you can eat junky fattenin stuff if ya vegan. its not like you have to give up extra cheese pizzas and live on twigs instead.
No worries! I just didn't want to be coming accross as one of those types of veggies!!! :whistle::D

bobmarley
29-09--2005, 11:31 PM
Been veggie for two years, and don't even think about it any more, it's sooooo easy! I love some meat alternatives like quorn mince and quorn burgers and Linda's snossages :cool: , but i don't like the ones that try to be like bacon or chicken or sumthing :vomit:

Claerie
29-09--2005, 11:43 PM
For example, B12 is from bacteria so cheese is quite a biggy in that department. Your best bet is to have fortified foods like marmite or brewers yeast which have other b vits. added.

just-to-add

one-of-the-reasons-we-lack-B12-is-that-our-food-isn't-organic.

If-you-eat-fresh-organic-veg-grown-in-cobalt-rich-soil-you'll-have-little-problem-getting-the-amount-you-need.

But-getting-this-type-of-veg-is-difficult-these-days:(

The-good-news-is-that-your-body-stores-B12-very-effectively:)

tulip
30-09--2005, 07:15 AM
nuts & seeds,
pulses

A silly and a not-so-silly question here:

Scuse me being a foreigner here, but what's Bean Curd?

What kind of advice would you give to someone like me who is terribly allergic to most fruit and veg and can only eat them lightly or not so lightly cooked? Almost anything fresh is out of the question for me when it comes to fruit, I can only eat organic bananas if I'm lucky... Berries seem to be alright tho... :sob: Help?! Pweeeease...? I really really want to eat healthy but I don't know what to do... Everything I WANT to eat (fresh stuff) is a potential suicide for me...

~lovetulip.

Whirler
30-09--2005, 10:57 AM
A silly and a not-so-silly question here:

Scuse me being a foreigner here, but what's Bean Curd?

What kind of advice would you give to someone like me who is terribly allergic to most fruit and veg and can only eat them lightly or not so lightly cooked? Almost anything fresh is out of the question for me when it comes to fruit, I can only eat organic bananas if I'm lucky... Berries seem to be alright tho... :sob: Help?! Pweeeease...? I really really want to eat healthy but I don't know what to do... Everything I WANT to eat (fresh stuff) is a potential suicide for me...

~lovetulip.Blimey love that sucks! Firstly bean curd is Tofu (http://www.annecollins.com/diet_foods/bean-curd-soybean.htm) click on the link for more info!

As for the fruit n veg, what affect does it have on you? Do you know why this happens? Berries are very good and obviously bananas when you can. Can you eat dried fruit? Whole grains are very good and contain vitamins e.g wholegrain rice has lots of b-vitamins and quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is considered a super-grain.

I don't know what other advice I can offer for now - I'll see if I can find out some more a bit later........

stormypagan
30-09--2005, 11:17 AM
Im thinkin gof going Vegan though.. but slowly.. Does anyone have any advice? what to eat to stay healthy?

Hi kat :0)

The most important thing to have as a vegan is B12 as this is something that vegans don't get very easily, apart from fortified foods like yeast extract and some soya milks. You can also get it from sea weed, and there is an argument that root vegetables take it from the soil, so eat root veggies.

Diet for anyone is about food combinations too, not just vegans. For example if you have iron enriched foods you need to have a source of vitamin C to help the absorption of iron into your body. But don't then guzzle loads of tea as the tannins in it depleats iron. Then you need Vitamin D, which again can be derived from fortified foods, and sun light, to absorb calcuim from foods like seseme seed, nuts, pulses, leafy green veggies etc.. While caffine prohibits it!!

I have been vegan for 17 years, and my son who is nearly 7 from the day he was concieved. I am on my second pregnancy as a vegan (well 3rd actually), and our health hasn't suffered yet but then I know enough not to let that happen. When I first became vegan there was little on the market and most things were made from scratch, now there is alsorts of yummy goodies. I am pasting some links for you below, to help you on your way.

I am vegan for animal rights reasons but yes health has also become a huge issue in recent years. Especialy after all these scares with meat/dairy products - e coli, BSE blah blah!! My ethics keep me vegan and my anger about animal abuse fuels my choice!!

I believe the best way is to use all your veggie food up and restock with all vegan, and just go for it rather than take a period of time. That's what I did, I lapsed once on a chocolate bar a few days later ( and I am not going to kick myself over that one) but then after that, there was no looking back :0)

Here are some links for you .....

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/vegan-nutrition.html

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/

At the end of the day it is your choice but good luck and let us know how you are doing :0)

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

tulip
02-10--2005, 04:20 PM
Blimey love that sucks! Firstly bean curd is Tofu (http://www.annecollins.com/diet_foods/bean-curd-soybean.htm) click on the link for more info!

As for the fruit n veg, what affect does it have on you? Do you know why this happens? Berries are very good and obviously bananas when you can. Can you eat dried fruit? Whole grains are very good and contain vitamins e.g wholegrain rice has lots of b-vitamins and quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is considered a super-grain.

I don't know what other advice I can offer for now - I'll see if I can find out some more a bit later........

Haa tofu, I shoulda guessed... Oh well.

The fruit and veg, well, it makes my mouth and lips and throat itch like h*ll, also causing some swelling in my throat, thus making it very difficult to breathe. I have no idea why this happens, I've just gradually gotten allergic reactions from virtually everything. I've always been allergic to something, veggies, fruit, nuts, dogs, cats... always had hay fever and the like... I was waiting for it to get easier with age but it's just getting worse all the time. I blame pollution, and all the crap they use on non-organic stuff nowadays AND the chemicals used in soaps, cleaners and all.

Dried fruit is ok with me, I'd just much rather eat fresh fruit. I guess there isn't much choice there tho. I try to eat a lot of whole grains, I'm glad that we've got the best bread in the world here in Finland (ie. lovely soft and healthy ryebread!) :p Didn't know the vitamin b thing about wholegrain rice, will use that instead of the stuff I've got in the cupboard now. Thanks for the info luv! If you find something about allergies and vegetarianism, lemme know!

~lovetulip.

beautiful_day
06-10--2005, 09:57 AM
heehee i'm veggie apart from all those little fishies that keep finding their way to my mouth...

Hahaha same here! pisceterian its called apparantly!? though it aint in the dictionary! believe me i have a job boring enough to allow me time to check these things ;)

well im piscetarian until i drink several pints and then i dont seem to care what crap i ram down my throat :s

Im sure Kristen will testify that alcohol and trying to stick to a diet doesnt work ;)

beautiful_day
06-10--2005, 10:09 AM
Diet for anyone is about food combinations too, not just vegans. For example if you have iron enriched foods you need to have a source of vitamin C to help the absorption of iron into your body. But don't then guzzle loads of tea as the tannins in it depleats iron. Then you need Vitamin D, which again can be derived from fortified foods, and sun light, to absorb calcuim from foods like seseme seed, nuts, pulses, leafy green veggies etc.. While caffine prohibits it!!

Also vitamins A and E are fat soluable so need fat in order for your body to metabolise them fully....extra virgin olive oil added to your salads is a good way of doing this :) or fish or meat too i guess!

The olive oil thing is probably why the Italians live stupidly long and the mediterannean diet is one of the healthiest!

Whirler
08-10--2005, 01:25 PM
The olive oil thing is probably why the Italians live stupidly long and the mediterannean diet is one of the healthiest!Olive oil and garlic. :D

Atomik
08-10--2005, 01:27 PM
Olive oil and garlic. :DAnd lots and lots of sex :reddevil:

Whirler
08-10--2005, 01:27 PM
And lots and lots of sex :reddevil:Reckon we'll be living 'til a ripe old age, eh?! :D

beautiful_day
11-10--2005, 03:11 PM
:vomit: :topic: :gives: :gar:

lol...

Hey if what you say is true then i guess me and Xiola will be living a fair few years too :p

anyone else on the mediterranean diet?;) :wink3:

Atomik
11-10--2005, 04:22 PM
I use olive oil 99% of the time and my first, golden rule of cooking is "there's no such thing as too much garlic" :D