PDA

View Full Version : Soya Milk

Whirler
09-10--2005, 01:01 PM
Anyone drink soy or rice or any other kind of non-dairy milk here??

Personally I think rice milk is far nicer tasting than say cows milk..I'm a fan of soya milk here but it's got to be the right kind 'cos some of it can taste shit! I like rice milk too and would like to try other stuff like almond milk. I'm not vegan but I really just don't like cow's milk, if I do have it, it's gotta be organic. Had some lovely sheep's milk icecream at BD's!

Sarah
10-10--2005, 10:20 AM
I bought some Alpro chocolate soya milk when I did the shopping on Saturday. Everyone here drinks alot of milk (we go through six pints a day) and I know it doesn't do mine nor charlie's or si's dodgy chests any good expecially in the winter but we all need the calcium. So I got the alpro stuff and everyone loves the taste so we are gonna swap over to soya chocolate milk drinks and possibly ditch the dairy milk for good. My question was though.. what is a good tasting non dairy milk that doesn't do dodgy things in cups of tea and coffee?

I was vegan about 10 years ago for a while and used soya milk but it aways used to seperate out in the brew. :barf:

Any tips ? Also something that isn't gonna be a shock to the taste buds for the house and delicious on cereal and as a drink on its own too? I personally love goats milk and charlie likes goats milk because I put him on that when he was 6 months old to get him over nasty infant eczema.. but other people don't really like the taste of it in drinks?

stormypagan
10-10--2005, 12:13 PM
Most soya milks separate in coffee but never has in tea with me unless it is off.

Secret to stopping it separate in coffee is to use a metal tea spoon to conduct heat away from the drink as you pour it in, and add until it stops curdling. I ofen put the milk in with the coffee first and mix them together, then add the water. It is the heat that makes it curdle and moreso in coffee coz it is thicker than tea. I have it to a T now, although I don't drink coffee, or very rarely. It hadn't been an issue 'till I met stonesy who loves coffee. Though he is veggie, he drinks soya milk so we have had to become expert coffee makers with soya!! Trust me I am a vegan doctor hehehe :0)

Soya milk is much improved since when I first beacme vegan over 17 yrs ago. They add vitamins and calcuim which helps our daily intake, and I think has improved the taste no end. Non sweetened with no calcuim is still pretty rank to drink. Provamel and Tescos own (at only 69p) are cool. Plamil has more of an acquired taste but is full of good stuff, and great for children as the properties of it are equivalent to breast milk and not cow's milk which is often to rich for our stomachs.

Good luck with the non dairy quest, it will help your congestion too :0)

Whirler
11-10--2005, 05:35 PM
I agree with Stormy (becoming a bit of a habit that is!) I've never had curdles in tea and don't drink coffee. I like the taste of provamel (sweetened) although I do find it leaves your mouth a bit dry after tea. And of course calcium gets addes to provamel too.

stormypagan
11-10--2005, 09:38 PM
I agree with Stormy (becoming a bit of a habit that is!) .

Yo soul sista hehehe :mrgreen:

Dapablo
11-10--2005, 09:45 PM
Soya milk curdles with boiling water, tea has cooled while brewing, you then add the milk. Instant Coffee is made fresh from a boiling kettle, still nigh on boiling when you add the milk.

Atomik
12-10--2005, 11:23 AM
I moved this soya milk conversation into a new thread coz it was dead interesting :thumbup:

uma
12-10--2005, 11:48 AM
I used to drink soya milk too and was a fan, but i heard some info from a friend that disturbed me. Apparently soya milk is one of the biggest causes of deforestisation at the moment in the east. Now this is mostly due-i think-down to farmers farming soya for their cattle, but the new high demand for soya products has to have made a difference. Also apparently for women, soya can cause infertility if it has not been heated to a high enough temperature, something to do with parts of the proteins being broken down, and can also be a canceragenic.
did a wee search and came up with this, which i think covers a lot of the info health wise- http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4055716,00.htm (http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4055716,00.htm)

I switched to rice milk, which i adore, and i have the rice dream in which they add calcium-no evil chemicals just calcium carbonate. I know that theres only so much you can do for the environment and you have to stop somewhere, but i just feel that we should make our decisions based on all the facts we can gather. Im not saying soya is evil, just think this info needs to be more widespread:)

In Dharma,
Uma gyen
x x x

Sarah
12-10--2005, 01:14 PM
That's an interesting article thanks Uma :)

Kat
12-10--2005, 02:55 PM
strange fact:- Tesco value soya milk is organic...

Soya milk is actually fairly easy to make and tastes loads better then the bought stuff... Its also a lot cheaper..just takes a while to make it as you have to let the beans soak..

Whirler
12-10--2005, 03:34 PM
Soya milk is actually fairly easy to make and tastes loads better then the bought stuff... Its also a lot cheaper..just takes a while to make it as you have to let the beans soak..Cool, when are you moving in? Soya milk on Kat tap - I like it!!! :D

random_spontaneosity
12-10--2005, 04:01 PM
i had some alpro soya stuff a few months ago and chucked most of it away it was too disgusting. i onlygotit outof curiosity. but id rather have got the chocolate one but they stopped selling it in the supermarket so had to get normal stuff.

the little chocolate desserts are really nice though

i dont plan on going vegan anytime soon so hey

Whirler
12-10--2005, 04:05 PM
i had some alpro soya stuff a few months ago and chucked most of it away it was too disgusting. Was that the fresh one? I started buying that when it first came out but they replaced the apple juice with sugar which really pissed me off and I went off the flavour. Bastards. :whack:

stormypagan
12-10--2005, 06:46 PM
Also apparently soya beans have a high concentration of aluminium in them, so altzhiemers could be an issue?? anyone else know about this??

Flibbertigibbet
12-10--2005, 08:15 PM
http://www.sustainweb.org/publications/downloads/ff_soya.pdf
Here is some more info on soya, also calcium does not have to come from dairy but is in soya milk, tofu,figs, parsely, green leafy veggies broccoli etc...

As bad as soya may be and as dodgy as Asda is their soya milk does not curdle in coffee......put coffee in first then milk then pout on NOT boiling water.......
As for the link between Alzheimers and aluminum i think any benefits outway the negatives.....I have never heard of soemone really suffering memory difficulties from eating from aluminum pans ..........I found this :-

Soy may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease, especially in postmenopausal women, say researchers.

The discovery follows research suggesting that soy also helps reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. A three-year animal study shows that chemicals found in soy, called phytoestrogens, appear to reduce the number of protein changes in the brain that are associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Claerie
12-10--2005, 09:34 PM
Non sweetened with no calcuim is still pretty rank to drink. Provamel and Tescos own (at only 69p) are cool.

Asda for all it's sins do a mean Organic Unsweatened for 69p:mrgreen:

stormypagan
13-10--2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.sustainweb.org/publications/downloads/ff_soya.pdf
Here is some more info on soya, also calcium does not have to come from dairy but is in soya milk, tofu,figs, parsely, green leafy veggies broccoli etc...

As bad as soya may be and as dodgy as Asda is their soya milk does not curdle in coffee......put coffee in first then milk then pout on NOT boiling water.......
As for the link between Alzheimers and aluminum i think any benefits outway the negatives.....I have never heard of soemone really suffering memory difficulties from eating from aluminum pans ..........I found this :-

Soy may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease, especially in postmenopausal women, say researchers.

The discovery follows research suggesting that soy also helps reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. A three-year animal study shows that chemicals found in soy, called phytoestrogens, appear to reduce the number of protein changes in the brain that are associated with Alzheimer's disease.

You can also get calcuim from seeds and nuts such as sesame seeds.

As for the benefits I believe the pros also out wiegh the cons, and I would rather drink soya milk anyday compared to dairy milk.

The reasons why I don't drink milk .... I posted this on another forum, and have slightly adapted it to put it here...

"Cows suffer to give us the milk that so many people think is natural. Firstly, she is (often by force) kept pregnant constantly so that her milk yield is high. Then she very often suffers from a condition called Mastitus, when her udders are so huge they drag along the ground, or dirty milking equipment cross contaminates. When she is milked, it means not only puss but blood is whisked into the milk after the greedy farmer has stolen it from the cow. Then the consumer gets to drink all of it :0/

Mastitus is a very painful condition!!! As a breast feeding mother I can sympathise some what to being a cow, but when I was feeding my child I had a choice. I had to express a lot of milk due to my son being colicy, and I suffered a week of cracked nipples and pain but I was determined to carry on, and fed him until he didnt want it when he was 15 months old. The cow doesn't get a choice and suffers year in year out to produce milk, then gets slaughtered before her natural life time is up, a nice thank you for her milk for so many years. And neither does her calf get to benefit, as instead he/she is sold for meat, while it's mother is continually abused.

This is enough for me to say no more dairy. As has already been pointed out you can get calcuim from green leafy veggies, peas, lentils and other pulses, sesame seeds, nuts etc... You don't need milk. The calcuim in dairy is far to rich for humans anyway, therefore causing alsorts of problems especially in children with lactose intolerance. Just think where does the cow get her milk from, that is so very rich in calcium?? The green leafy grass she eats ....

We are conned into eating dairy to get our calcium. I read some research a few years ago about pregnant mothers, who are encouraged to up their intake of dairy to get calcium for their growing feotuses. We have all seen the leaflets for pregnant mothers. Then when the children of dairy consuming mothers were born, that their lungs are just coated with mucus and hence that is why they have to have their airways sucked out. My vegan son had the clearest cry when he was a baby, not all gurggerly/snotty like some babies. That research really made sense to me. It is a myth that you have to eat dairy to be healthy!!"

Flibbertigibbet
13-10--2005, 07:59 PM
Exactly many of the reasons I do not drink cows milk :vomit:

PeacePiper
13-10--2005, 09:08 PM
Argh! You're making me vegan Stormy

All you say makes sense, but nothing compares to cows milk. I generally try to drink organic milk but your arguments still apply... :frust:

How about if I get another goat and some chickens? Does goats milk have any of the same health problems?

I got me some thinkin to do

stormypagan
14-10--2005, 04:42 PM
It is all food for though PP :0)

If I can help educate those who don't know about the hidden crimes of animal abuse I will but ultimately it is your choice, and your choice alone :)

magic tea
27-10--2005, 01:06 AM
I know I'm not a regular round these parts anymore, but I thought I'd peek my head in and link you to here...

http://www.notmilk.com/

As with a lot of websites/information in general, you have to take it with a pinch of salt because the creators are always going to have their own agenda, but there are some really interesting things in there.

Atomik
27-10--2005, 09:22 AM
I know I'm not a regular round these parts anymoreBut you remain a legend for the power of your spelling and grammar! :broc:

TREASON
27-10--2005, 09:47 AM
what is a good tasting non dairy milk that doesn't do dodgy things in cups of tea and coffee?

I was vegan about 10 years ago for a while and used soya milk but it aways used to seperate out in the brew. :barf:

Any tips ? Also something that isn't gonna be a shock to the taste buds for the house and delicious on cereal and as a drink on its own too?

hmm i think im a bit late on this thread, a good milk for cereal is so good breakfast milk, its slightly vanilla flavour. ive only had it once but i remember it was quite good like that, ive got some in my fridge at the moment though, i dont really drink tea or coffee, nor soya milk, when i do drink milk its usually chocolate soya. my mates always moaning that the coffee and tea at mine is caffine free, so i brought the strongest coffee i could the otherday for him, espresso its called, im gonna try it with the vanilla milk now, so ill let you know how it is. as for the milk goin manky, your not supposed to use boiling water in coffee anyway, just hot.
anyway, ill report back after my drink, tell u if it was good or not.

TREASON
27-10--2005, 10:21 AM
yep, its niiice

the dj
27-10--2005, 10:33 AM
hmm i think im a bit late on this thread, a good milk for cereal is so good breakfast milk, its slightly vanilla flavour. ive only had it once but i remember it was quite good like that, ive got some in my fridge at the moment though, i dont really drink tea or coffee, nor soya milk, when i do drink milk its usually chocolate soya. my mates always moaning that the coffee and tea at mine is caffine free, so i brought the strongest coffee i could the otherday for him, espresso its called, im gonna try it with the vanilla milk now, so ill let you know how it is. as for the milk goin manky, your not supposed to use boiling water in coffee anyway, just hot.
anyway, ill report back after my drink, tell u if it was good or not.

I was always told Espresso was supposed to be a small blob of milkless goo at the bttom of the mug!

the dj
27-10--2005, 10:38 AM
I'm a fan of soya milk here but it's got to be the right kind 'cos some of it can taste shit! I like rice milk too and would like to try other stuff like almond milk. I'm not vegan but I really just don't like cow's milk, if I do have it, it's gotta be organic. Had some lovely sheep's milk icecream at BD's!

Was that from the Welsh icecream stall? That's where my icecream came from at BDs, next to the small top where DIP played the first night!

Whirler
29-10--2005, 09:44 AM
Was that from the Welsh icecream stall? That's where my icecream came from at BDs, next to the small top where DIP played the first night!There was an icecream stall?!?! :eek: No it was a little van that travelled around - I think it was Dorset icecream, could be wrong tho'.

Opal
12-07--2006, 09:39 AM
In my house hold we have switched to Soya Milk and I love the taste :)

wiggy
12-07--2006, 10:54 AM
I dont mind soya (not vegan or veg) but buy it sometimes - the only thing I hate is the cartons it comes in here - them horrible things you can recycle or do anything with!!!!

starcatkel
12-07--2006, 12:38 PM
i stopped drinking cows milk about a year and half ago...reason was it just gunked me up inside and errrr yukkkkkkkkkkkkkk...wasnt good ....
so i went onto soya and had been on that till 4 months ago..when i switched to rice milk because even soya milk was too thick and didnt sit well in my tummy
so im on rice milk now and been doing very well on it - quite thin in consistancy but thats cool as i like it like that! yaye :D
xxx

stormypagan
12-07--2006, 02:58 PM
I dont mind soya (not vegan or veg) but buy it sometimes - the only thing I hate is the cartons it comes in here - them horrible things you can recycle or do anything with!!!!

I agree wiggy :mad: So we burn them on our fire when possible, although this isn't ideal I would rather not fill up land fill with them specially as we seem to get through about 25 cartons a month with our lot <gulp> that is a lot of cartons.

Although. apparently I was told recently that the tetra packs can now be recycled ...there is a website about it and I think Warrior Gaia has it ...must get it off her!!

Coyote
12-07--2006, 04:44 PM
Soya Milk! :vomit:

One of the girls I houseshared with in uni (2 guys, 5 girls :D ) only drank soya milk and it was foul! Tastes like runny flour-and-water glue :(

Now Rice Milk is a whole other kettle of gerbils! Yummy! Espech the vanilla flavoured; which makes a great alternative "cream" :)

stormypagan
12-07--2006, 05:07 PM
Depends which one you drink though...with added calcium and sweetened with apple juice is the best but just non sweetened and no calcium is tasteless and reminds me of the taste of chewed up paper.

wiggy
12-07--2006, 05:17 PM
So does that mean that non of the cartons are re-usuasble? Either in the home or in industy's?
Thats really really bad, I thought it was just our shops not near you as well, thats really not good. You would have thought because the demand is higher they would use something else - interesting

Coyote
12-07--2006, 05:27 PM
Depends which one you drink though...with added calcium and sweetened with apple juice is the best but just non sweetened and no calcium is tasteless and reminds me of the taste of chewed up paper.

Ah, housemates was the "pure" :vomit: version; your description is pretty accurate!

I may be tempted to try the sweetend version (as I have VERY little milk, as it just leaves me feeling cloggy and enervated). :)

stormypagan
12-07--2006, 07:03 PM
Ah, housemates was the "pure" :vomit: version; your description is pretty accurate!

I may be tempted to try the sweetend version (as I have VERY little milk, as it just leaves me feeling cloggy and enervated). :)

Have the calcuim added one to as it is much more creamy and tasty :) I can drink that as it is and really like it!!

Coyote
12-07--2006, 07:05 PM
Have the calcuim added one to as it is much more creamy and tasty :) I can drink that as it is and really like it!!

*looks nervous*

Oookay but if it taste yuk I'm blaming you :D

stormypagan
12-07--2006, 07:06 PM
So does that mean that non of the cartons are re-usuasble? Either in the home or in industy's?
Thats really really bad, I thought it was just our shops not near you as well, thats really not good. You would have thought because the demand is higher they would use something else - interesting

Well apart from the tetrapak cartons Wiggy... I found this .... http://www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk/06.htm

stormypagan
12-07--2006, 07:06 PM
*looks nervous*

Oookay but if it taste yuk I'm blaming you :D

Wah wah wah !!!! :D

Starling
13-07--2006, 12:05 AM
I never liked cows milk on its own anyways, only in tea/coffee, and in my cereal, but i'd pick out the cereal unless it went all chocolatey like with coco pops! :D So it's not like i'm ever gona drink soya milk on it's own. I've been using it for over a year now, and prefer the unsweetened, as it gives the effect of cows milk in hot drinks and cereal. I find the sweetened stuff tastes funny in hot drinks. Morrisons own brand never separates in hot drinks, and i don't wait until it's cooled or anything. Alpro does, and a few others.

Today i just realised that Morrisons sell Rice Dream and oat milk, so i thought i'd give the Rice Dream a go, as i know what soya is doing to the environment.

stormypagan
13-07--2006, 09:23 AM
Today i just realised that Morrisons sell Rice Dream and oat milk, so i thought i'd give the Rice Dream a go, as i know what soya is doing to the environment.

Rice dream is nice and as you say soya as a cash crop is doing harm to the environment (GM, deforestation etc...) ... but then so is any cash crop, and if it isn't a cash crop now and becomes a popular alternative.... it soon becomes a cash crop... Sadly you can't win unless you grow and make your own!!

sweet666
13-07--2006, 05:17 PM
strange fact:- Tesco value soya milk is organic...

Soya milk is actually fairly easy to make and tastes loads better then the bought stuff... Its also a lot cheaper..just takes a while to make it as you have to let the beans soak..

Tesco value soya milk is actually my favourite. I'm trying to drink/eat a lot more soya products because it's supposed to be good for women at the menopause. In countries like Japan where soya in the form of tofu, miso etc is a basic part of the diet they have far fewer menopausal symptoms.

Starling
19-07--2006, 03:52 PM
and if it isn't a cash crop now and becomes a popular alternative.... it soon becomes a cash crop... Sadly you can't win unless you grow and make your own!!

Yeh i know, there never seems to be a perfect solution... unless like you say you grow and make your own..... but no doubt there are problems with that too!

Anyways, i haven't given up on the soya milk yet. I tried the rice milk, it was ok in cereal (tasted sweeter than my unsweetened soya milk?), but in tea/coffee... :eek: It's too watery, barely makes a difference! Might try the oat next.

Whirler
19-07--2006, 05:25 PM
I tried the rice milk, it was ok in cereal (tasted sweeter than my unsweetened soya milk?)Rice milk is naturally very sweet....nothing to worry about!

stormypagan
19-07--2006, 10:32 PM
Yeh i know, there never seems to be a perfect solution... unless like you say you grow and make your own..... but no doubt there are problems with that too!

Anyways, i haven't given up on the soya milk yet. I tried the rice milk, it was ok in cereal (tasted sweeter than my unsweetened soya milk?), but in tea/coffee... :eek: It's too watery, barely makes a difference! Might try the oat next.

Almond milk is nice .... but a tad expensive :) and a while since I have seen it for sale so not sure if it's still availiable but I am sure it will be :0)

Opal
25-07--2006, 06:18 PM
Yummy, I just had some sliced apples topped with Alpro Soya Low Fat Yogurt Mmmmmmm :D :p

~Edit~

I am not a vegan, I am a veggie but I dont drink Cow milk because I just dont like the taste and I much prefere Soya Milk because its healthier, low fat and has benefits for woman as they grow older.....plus since I found out ordinary yogurts contain gelatine, I am going to stick with buying Soya Yogurts.

Whirler
25-07--2006, 06:52 PM
Hey Sweetpea, not all yoghurt has gelatine in - Yeo Valley organic yoghurts are scrummy and veggie. I think it's a lot of the more 'fashionable' types that have gelatine in.

Opal
25-07--2006, 07:01 PM
Hey Sweetpea, not all yoghurt has gelatine in - Yeo Valley organic yoghurts are scrummy and veggie. I think it's a lot of the more 'fashionable' types that have gelatine in.

Oh I see, I already made the mistake by having a Muiller Light a couple of weeks ago and I didn't even know about gelatine :(..but I will try some of these Yeo Valley Organic ones. Thankyou :D

Starling
26-07--2006, 12:56 AM
Rice milk is naturally very sweet....nothing to worry about!

Yeh, i really liked it in cereal, just no good in hot drinks!

Starling
26-07--2006, 12:57 AM
Almond milk is nice .... but a tad expensive :) and a while since I have seen it for sale so not sure if it's still availiable but I am sure it will be :0)

I'd like to try that, may have a look round! I think my health food shop may sell it.