PDA

View Full Version : World News *-OH SHIT-* US warns N Korea off missile test

Exedous
19-06--2006, 10:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5096470.stm

Senior US officials have urged North Korea to abandon any "provocative" plan to test-launch a long-range missile.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said any launch would be viewed by the US as a "very serious matter".
And the US ambassador to the UN, John Bolton, said he was consulting members of the UN Security Council.
North Korea has observed a self-imposed moratorium on missile launches since 1999, but is reported to have fuelled a new model capable of reaching Alaska.

The Taepodong-2 is believed to have a range of up to 6,000km (3,700 miles).

Speaking at a news conference in Washington, Ms Rice expressed stern US opposition to any possible launch.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif I can assure everyone that it will be taken with utmost seriousness http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Condoleezza Rice
"It http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifwould be a very serious matter, and indeed a provocative act should North Korea decide to launch that missile," she said.
"We will obviously consult [with allies] on next steps, but I can assure everyone that it will be taken with utmost seriousness."

She stressed that North Korea had repeatedly agreed not to test-launch any new missiles, both independently and in the context of six-nation talks on its nuclear programme.

Oh shit...this could all go sooo horribly wrong...maybe its just me, but im scared....:( :eek: :eek: :(

:patch:

Zim
19-06--2006, 10:27 PM
why the hell should one country be allowed a nuclear programe yet refuse to let another enjoy the same "luxury"?!?!

It makes no sense whataoever

Milo
19-06--2006, 10:28 PM
I'm not scared, partly because being scared doesn't do me any good. Perhaps I'm just not scared enough? There are some issues which cause me to take some action and some which for a while make me worry about my complacency. This is one of the latter, I'm afraid.

scarlett
19-06--2006, 10:29 PM
cue many weeks of macho military posturing:rolleyes:

Exedous
19-06--2006, 10:41 PM
cue many weeks of macho military posturing:rolleyes: Im not so scared by North Korea...its the US im scared of...i agree scarletdee...there will be alot of macho military posturing...especially from the US...its another chace for them to ge thier teeth into another country...maybe start another war......

Skye
20-06--2006, 10:13 AM
Im not so scared by North Korea...its the US im scared of...i agree scarletdee...there will be alot of macho military posturing...especially from the US...its another chace for them to ge thier teeth into another country...maybe start another war......

Exactly.

Aunty Al
20-06--2006, 10:53 AM
I've kinda been waiting for this to happen. North Korea have been posturing about their nukes for a while and I think US was just waiting for the right time to say/do something. With George W believing he's God's policeman or some such crap, its hard to hope that he's not going to do something. And if the US get involved in another war, I don't think its terribly unlikely that poodle Blair will commit us too.

LdyNimue
26-06--2006, 08:53 PM
I live in the States, their are many of us here who are Not proud of the current regime we call the U.S. Government. It's treatment of the world at home and more so abroad is deplorable. Your not alone.:frust:

matthew
29-06--2006, 05:28 PM
why the hell should one country be allowed a nuclear programe yet refuse to let another enjoy the same "luxury"?!?!

It makes no sense whataoever

Under the NPT countries are supposed to be de-commisioning there stock piles. I think i am right in saying the UK has reduced its buy 70% [weapons that is- though don't quote me..i know it is quite a high figure] in the last 20 years or so!!.

http://www.nda.gov.uk/Home_(1).aspx?

North Korea are not re-useing there stocks.. they are creating MORE... a point about Trident some organisations seem happy to make out is that we are creating MORE. Not true..we may get a new system..not 'new' nuclear warheads.

The NPT says that certain countries have the ''luxury'' .. Countries signed up with that knowledge..and for 40+ years have been 'happy'. If not they can leave the NPT.

Guess a country that is not part of the NPT ?.

http://www.una.org.uk/election/electionnpt.html

It is quite ironic how people are more scared of America than North Korea.. something i find ironic anyway. Everybody will pick up on the [i have to say] bold statements of the US... THEN IGNORE every aspect of the diplomacy that goes on. By the time anything comes to fruition.. Bush will be gone.. and then it will fall onto another. I guess then if war is avoided the new president will be the saviour of the year. Ignoreing the previous efforts..

You'r a cynical bunch of lefties i tell you :harhar:

Dapablo
29-06--2006, 09:41 PM
It did used to be as simple as ban the bomb, now it feels like if we've got em everyone should be able to have em.

I'm still with Ban the Bomb. :)

matthew
29-06--2006, 10:09 PM
It did used to be as simple as ban the bomb, now it feels like if we've got em everyone should be able to have em.

I'm still with Ban the Bomb. :)

If you stick with the notion of ''ban the bomb'' that is legitimate. I can not see any issues with that.

When you add the smorgesboard of other thoughts, then it gets ridiculous. ''I don't like nuclear'' fine...don't add insult to injury by claiming ''western powers'' are evil and corrupted etc etc etc. Keep the accusations simple and almost quaint.. ''I don't like nuclear'' . Simple really. :whistle:

Dapablo
29-06--2006, 10:55 PM
We should all be telling the Koreans "No" really, rather than complaining about the States doing it for us. :)

schizomorph
01-07--2006, 03:55 PM
I think the US are not capable of launching any more attacks to countries on their own. They can bark all they want but I don't think they can bite.

They lose popularity by the day and countries wordwide are preparing to protect themselves from the US (eg. Venezuela).

I'm glad that counties start to see the US as a threat but I don't think this is going to end peacefully:rolleyes:

TheSoupdragon
02-07--2006, 06:09 PM
I think i am right in saying the UK has reduced its buy 70% [weapons that is- though don't quote me..i know it is quite a high figure] in the last 20 years or so!!.

I think you'll find the decision to reduce our nukes was entirely economic. Each vanguard submarine used to have 192 independently targeted city busting nukes on board - which was felt to be slightly more than we would ever really want to use at once.

koolaid
03-07--2006, 01:34 PM
Surely not even the US would be stupid enough to start a war with North Korea.....

Would they???

Lunar Seed
03-07--2006, 04:26 PM
i wouldn't worry about it.

The Korean missile obviously doesn't work, or they would have fired it by now, and we already know that the U.S. anti-missile missiles don't work.

It is just more fearmongering, imho.

TheSoupdragon
03-07--2006, 10:21 PM
Boys and their phallic toys................

schizomorph
04-07--2006, 01:14 PM
Boys and their phallic toys................

Lol:happydanc

matthew
04-07--2006, 07:21 PM
I think you'll find the decision to reduce our nukes was entirely economic. Each vanguard submarine used to have 192 independently targeted city busting nukes on board - which was felt to be slightly more than we would ever really want to use at once.

More than likely.. as our footprint of nuclear arsenal is so low.. it hardly makes a difference anyway. What we do is insignicant.. I guess it is mostly like our enviromental strategy.. purely for show and to 'show the world' a direction to head into.

They are all within a pool of nuclear weapons anyway.. Even though we may have reduced our quota..they are still out there.