PDA

View Full Version : veggi/vegan children

Dready Warrior
13-10--2005, 09:33 PM
i was wondering about the veggi/vegan people here with children.... do your kids have the same diet as you?.... if so how will you deal with them wanting to eat meat when they're older if they decide to?

as i was a meat eater for 13 years of lee's life he is still a meat eater. i felt that it was unfair of me to make him change his diet considering he is almost a young man. he doesn't eat meat or fish every day but i do buy and prepare meat and fish for him (he doesn't eat pig meat though due to his jewish faith). he enjoys veggi dishes (although he usually calls it hippy food!).

Whirler
15-10--2005, 07:05 PM
I don't have children but I think about this a lot......I have strict rules regarding meat in my home therefore were I to have children they wouldn't eat meat whilst in the house, but what they eat outside the home would be their choice. Education would be the most important aspect for me, education without bias so they can make an informed choice as they got older. I think I'd find it difficult with a young child who wouldn't be old enough to reach a decision if for example, they had dinner at another child's house and were fed shity factory-farmed meat.

Ultimately I think it's important to allow a child to be an individual even if it means they make choices that you don't like. Education and information that's all you can do, the rest is up to them!

Flibbertigibbet
15-10--2005, 08:17 PM
I am vegan and my son is almost although he does still eat some dairy but he will not drink ribena or lucozade due to being made by procter and gamble and at school or parties if anyone gives out sweets,crisps or cakes he always asks (or now that he is older will read) if it is veggie if not he will leave it. He prefers vegan cheese and vegan pizza but does nto really like soya, almond or any other types of milk but dairy although he doesnt drink it straight ie on cereal etc but in other products. Today in the libary he choose a book about a vegetarian vampire :cool:

Whirler
15-10--2005, 08:54 PM
Today in the libary he choose a book about a vegetarian vampire :cool:LAMO I want to read it!!!! :D

random_spontaneosity
15-10--2005, 10:33 PM
LAMO I want to read it!!!! :D

me too. wow. veggie vampires. dude

Anusha
16-10--2005, 09:55 PM
I've been a veggie all my life and so bringing my daughter up to be a veggie seemed natural... i made a mistake or two along the way with her diet...like i dont ever use salt either and when Hannah was about 10yrs old she suffered salt defficiancy...cured by letting her have a packet of crisps as a treat once a day..doctors orders lol.... she is now a very healthy 19yr old and vegan by choice now....

Its entirely possible to have a very healthy vegetarian diet and so i wonder if forcing a child to eat meat with all it's associated health risks is a wise move...just because the majority of humans are meat eaters.? it doesnt make sense to me. We have to do what we believe is right for our children and let them make their own choices when they are old enough

Dapablo
17-10--2005, 10:40 AM
It's impossible to have an unbiased education, you choose your values and you pass that information on, for the betterment of your offspring.

My children eat both vegetarian and meat meals, this does leave them a choice with what to do about their lifestyle choices. As a matter of fact Shannon has choosen the vegetarian route at the mo, while Fay enjoys some meat.

I have always taught my children that it is wrong to refuse any offered food, they don't always succeed, because that's always been bad mannered to me. I will concur society may have already changed on this issue, and I just find myself old fashioned.

stormypagan
02-11--2005, 04:35 PM
When I was first vegan I didn't think I could bring a child up vegan, as my own diet was a struggle in the early years as such, plus I didn't think I have children anyway. But over the years as I learnt more about nutrition, and when I became preggers with Lewis (he was concieved a vegan) I realised that I could, and did lots of research and spoke to other vegan parents. Also Lewis's dad was a dedicated vegan and for longer than me.

Lewis is a life time vegan and at the moment is happy and proud to be. At school he has packed lunch and they accomodate him wonderfully, for example I give them the vegan ingrediants when they bake etc.. And for childrens parties I ask the mothers what they are having and make the vegan versions. He is always happy with that. And makes a point of asking if things are vegan before he can eat them. He is also at an age that he is learning why we are vegans but done in a way not to upset him.

One day I know he will make his own mind up, as is only natural, but untill then I believe that I have given him the best start in life (IMO) as we all do in the life choices we make for our children. He is a happy healthy intelligent little chap and vaccination free too :0) (after also having an informed choice there). The baby I carry will also be vegan for as long as I can maintain that diet with him/her, like Lewis.

Dready Warrior
02-11--2005, 08:31 PM
stormy, do you find you need a lot of time to make alternatives for lewis for parties?

one thing that has struck me so far looking into a vegan diet is that you either need quite a bit of time to make things from scratch (as with any diet if you are making from scratch) or you have to pay rather more than a lot of other foods. sadly at the moment i usually dont have the time to make any meal totally from scratch except on a sunday.

i am slowly cutting down the meat in lee's diet as i am aiming for a vegan diet myself. once he is 16 i hope to not buy meat at all for him and if he wants it he will have to go and buy it himself. when lee was born i would never have considered a veggie diet for him let alone vegan but now i do believe a vegan diet is the best for the child and the world around him/her.

stormypagan
02-11--2005, 10:52 PM
Good on you Sam, a step at a time and you will succeed I am sure :0)

No, I don't really find it any harder to make food from scratch. When I was first vegan there wasn't much at all for vegans unless made from scratch. Nowadays, I feel spoilt, as there is loads on the market, and fortunately a lot it made by ethical companies too.

As for Lewis's Party I made a veggie/vegan spread for the children. I made sosmix rolls with vegan short crust pastry, vegan chocolate crisipies, an enormous vegan chocolate birhtday cake covered in vegan smarties, cut up cucumber and carrot sticks, cherry toms, Sarnies with vegan cheese, vegan mushroom pate and veggie cheese, vegan cheese and veggie cheese on sticks, some veggie chocolate fingers, vegan jelly and vegan icecream, vegan and veggie crisps etc... It all went down very well!! I loved doing it and one of the mothers commented on what a lot of great food I had made which was nice:D

I think its a mentality thing, you know you have to do it so you do :0) I just made sure Lewis had enough variety and added veggie stuff for the other children, of whom none were veggie as far as I know but they still loved it!!

Milo
04-11--2005, 01:07 PM
"he is learning why we are vegans but done in a way not to upset him."

Expand on that, Stormy?

stormypagan
04-11--2005, 04:59 PM
Hi Milo :0)

Firstly, did you used to be on the Hippy-uk forum?? Just there was a milo on there?? :D

Well, what I mean is that I don't want to frighten him or upset him too much, about what happens to animals, and let him see to much bad in the world at such an early age. I would like him to grow up with hope, compassion and love, and especially as he has only just turned 7. But at the same time I want him to realise why we are vegans. It is a fine line to tread for one so young, so as he grews a little older I will explain things with more detail. But at the moment it is very basic stuff like we don't eat meat because animals are our friends, we wouldn't dream of eating out dogs Star and Smartie as they are our friends and part of our family, and he excepts that as he can relate to that. Also cows milk is for the calf, and by drinking milk we deny the calf, etc... I cant rant on about slaughtering animals eg the way it is done, and egg production with the killing of thousands of male chicks as surplus to requirement blah blah, or the way they produce veal but in time he will know, as he asks more questions. But I want him to have the innocence of childhood for now, as such, with out to much negative stuff!! Hope this makes sense :0) it is the best way I can think to explain stuff.

Milo
07-11--2005, 10:37 AM
* Firstly, did you used to be on the Hippy-uk forum?? Just there was a milo on there??

No, you crazy adoptive(?) Cumbrian, that Milo is a vile imposter (whose website's url just happens to be the same as mine).

I can no longer remember when I found out what about animals being needlessly and horribly killed, not when nor how I told my son about that stuff.

You're obviously a super-caring mum - I just wondered if kids were badly upset, slightly upset?

And I wonder how the hell omnivorous (in)humans tell their kids about it.

PS. Have you a firewood log supplier up there? My man here: http://www.lakelandcoppiceproducts.co.uk/ has flippin' run out, or so it seems, and I've been too lazy to get in enough of my own firewood.

stormypagan
07-11--2005, 10:58 AM
PS. Have you a firewood log supplier up there? My man here: http://www.lakelandcoppiceproducts.co.uk/ has flippin' run out, or so it seems, and I've been too lazy to get in enough of my own firewood.

Stonesy knows one but I am not sure how ethical they are in relation to where they get their wood, it is some one he has used in the last few years before I ventured this way!! but really we should find out before we get anymore. I just looked at your guy, if I had known about him I would have gone there too. We are looking for some at the mo, and havent been out to get any coz we have lack of transport at the mo (the ambulance needs an MOT). If you find anyone let us know and visa versa :) Where abouts in Cumbria are you??

Dapablo
07-11--2005, 11:14 AM
And I wonder how the hell omnivorous (in)humans tell their kids about it.

They don't even know themselves mate.

Loads of kids don't even know what chips or cheese are made from.

Milo
07-11--2005, 05:15 PM
If you find anyone let us know and visa versa :) Where abouts in Cumbria are you??

Yes, and Lancaster, the big city.

Are these the 'specially fick kids?

Hell, you're probably right though. If they see even a fluffy cartoon lamb, do they not connect it to mutton, aka sheep meat?

Because we're (pseudo) vegans, some friends / relatives tend to buy us mugs 'n' such with cartoon (farm) animals on 'em. It makes me mad 'cause it's all part of blurring the difference between the sensient beings and the dead ones on a plate.

stormypagan
07-11--2005, 08:53 PM
If you find anyone let us know and visa versa :) Where abouts in Cumbria are you??

Yes, and Lancaster, the big city.

Are these the 'specially fick kids?

Hell, you're probably right though. If they see even a fluffy cartoon lamb, do they not connect it to mutton, aka sheep meat?

Because we're (pseudo) vegans, some friends / relatives tend to buy us mugs 'n' such with cartoon (farm) animals on 'em. It makes me mad 'cause it's all part of blurring the difference between the sensient beings and the dead ones on a plate.

We are in a village near Penrith :0)

Well, it has all been made easier for society in general to consume meat and not think about the once living breathing animal, as the association to animals has been taken away by the changing of names eg: pigs are pork, cow is beef etc... and then of course we disassociate again with the animal from having had all the preparation done for us (slaughter, gutting etc..) and all we get to see as consumers is the package slab at the end which doesn't resemble the beautiful sentient creature it once was.

Also, I never forget seeing a family with young children, looking at the ducks in the park one day when i was walking my dogs, and saying ahhhhh arn't they sweet blah blah!! and then I overheard the dad say ha ha ha we are going home to have some of that for our dinner soon!! at least he was honest, as often I had seen people do the same cooing over the ducks and their babies, not making those comments, and yet you know they would be going home to eat a conventional sunday lunch after their walk!!

Getting back to children, many children don't like the texture of meat, I was one of those children, and an old next door neighbours child was the same. Both my parents and my old next door neighbour tried desparetly to hide it so that we would eat it. I have heard a lot of parents say their children don't like meat, and they have felt they have had to hide it too.

TREASON
11-11--2005, 07:01 PM
fun to slap! :D