PDA

View Full Version : soya butter and cheese

wednesday
20-07--2006, 10:33 PM
can anyone help. i am trying to go vegan, i went to ASDA yesterday (i know, im sorry, but it is the only supermarket around here that sells a wide variety of food and is cheap enough for this student to afford!) anyway, i managed to get soya milk but i was struggling to find soya butter and cheese, so i want to ask any fellow vegans, if siya butter and cheese exists (im pretty sure soya cheese is available as i bought some years ago, but a big supermarket like ASDA didn't have any. any ideas where else i could get it, that isn't extortionally priced?:)

also is quorn suitable for vegans?

Starling
20-07--2006, 10:47 PM
You should be able to find a margarine called PURE in ASDA, and other supermarkets. I get the sunflower one (yellow tub), but you should also be able to find the organic one (blue) and soya one (green).

I've never seen vegan cheese in a supermarket. I've bought it from health food shops in the past, such as Holland and Barrett. I don't like it though!

Quorn isn't suitable for vegans as it contains egg. But there are lots of other fake meats out there. In ASDA, look out for Linda McCartney's range. Alot of her stuff is vegan..... i really like the country slices and pies!....mmmm. And you can get ASDAs own brand veggie mince. :)

wednesday
20-07--2006, 11:20 PM
thankyou for the info, i didn't know asda did their own range of soya butter, will have to look out for that

starpoi
21-07--2006, 12:06 AM
You can get vegan cheese in some Sainsburys.
Asda is generally crap but have a look in the free from section, they have vegan parmesan which is ok. They seem to scatter the soya and other milk substitutes around the store in the free-from section, the UHT milk section and the refridgerated section. Its rather frustrating!

Flibbertigibbet
21-07--2006, 10:11 AM
thankyou for the info, i didn't know asda did their own range of soya butter, will have to look out for that

It is not their own range Pure is in most supermarkets ......also I find Asda soya milk the best one as it does not curdle like some do :D

dragonz
21-07--2006, 10:58 AM
tesco has soya cheese (even the small tesco where I live) but it is truely horrible :vomit:

Starling
21-07--2006, 01:41 PM
It is not their own range Pure is in most supermarkets ......also I find Asda soya milk the best one as it does not curdle like some do :D

Yeh, Pure isn't ASDA's own brand.

I've found that ASDA's organic soya milk doesn't separate, but the one in the red carton (Granose??) does! I've never considered buying the refridgerated ones... wonder what they're like for separating?

Morrison's own brand soya milk never separates, and neither does Co-op's organic.... that one (stripey brown/blue carton) is the best i've found so far.. but a tad expensive! I think Co-ops Soleil soya milk is ok too.

wednesday
21-07--2006, 07:38 PM
thankyou for all the information. i bought the asda own brand soya milk (blue carton, and it does taste beter than the branded stuff and i find it doesn't curdle in tea, which is cool! :)

Lychgate
22-07--2006, 09:51 PM
Vitalite is vegan as far as I know, although it is a margerine. Quite what the difference is I don't know...

s0ck
22-07--2006, 10:09 PM
Lidls do soya mil now and choclate soya milkshake which is divine.

ooh linda maccartney is began? i didnt know , hooray more choice. i was thinking baout giving up.

Starling
22-07--2006, 10:38 PM
ooh linda maccartney is began? i didnt know , hooray more choice. i was thinking baout giving up.

Yep, not everything obviously (cos she does lasagnes and other obvious cheese containing things), but most of her other stuff is... pies, sausages, etc.

I like ASDAs nut cutlets too.... from what i remember, they're vegan.

starpoi
22-07--2006, 10:40 PM
I like ASDAs nut cutlets too.... from what i remember, they're vegan.
They are delicious!! I love them. With a slice of vegan morzorella and a slice of tomato in a bread roll , heaven!

Whirler
23-07--2006, 10:07 PM
Wow, I never knew supermarkets were stocking soy cheese!!! Really, you're better off buying the vegan cheese in a wholefood shop, simply for more variety. I'm not vegan, but I have bought the Redwoods cheese and I kind of got addicted! Ultimately, it's not and never will be cheese so don't expect it to taste like it! There's a variety of vegan margerine around too but watch out for hydrogenated oil (quite rare in vegan marge)

Regarding Linda Mac, I was told by a vegan this year that the products aren't vegan due to some of the flavourings (although it's not listed). I've just had a quick look and can't find anything after 2005 where someone on another forum has said they were going vegan again. I've also just found 3 articles dating from April that claim that Heinz were in negotiation over a takeover by Nestle!! Again, I haven't found anything further but I haven't looked very hard.......

As for poor students, weren't you considering spending 80 getting your hair dreaded Wednesday?!? :eek:

:harhar:

s0ck
23-07--2006, 10:28 PM
Do not eat an entire packet off, truefree vegan bourbon buiscuits:vomit: . thier very sickly.

Starling
24-07--2006, 07:15 PM
Regarding Linda Mac, I was told by a vegan this year that the products aren't vegan due to some of the flavourings (although it's not listed). I've just had a quick look and can't find anything after 2005 where someone on another forum has said they were going vegan again.

Crap! Oh well, good thing i'm not actually vegan. The main things aren't there, so they'll do for me!

s0ck, i think an entire packet of any biscuit would be very sickly! You do know that most bourbon brands are vegan anyways though?

Coyote
24-07--2006, 07:17 PM
Soya Cheese!!!

"I cant believe its not rubber"

:D

dopedanny
24-07--2006, 09:56 PM
Soya Cheese!!!

"I cant believe its not rubber"

:D
I can't believe its not greasy chalk :vomit:

Best vegan cheese i found was a DIY one from the uncheese cookbook - monteray jack i think. dead nice with some olives or jalapenos mixed in with it. mmm...

You can order vegan fake-meat/cheese straight from redwoods - cheaper than hfs, but i usually wind up with thai 'fish' cake withdrawal symptoms while i wait for delivery

starpoi
26-07--2006, 01:42 AM
I got some tofutti cream cheese today after eventually finding a health food shop that sells it.
I think its yummy, especially on clearsprings rice cakes mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.triano.f2s.com/tr/chilled-crm-04.php

Starling
26-07--2006, 01:49 AM
I got some tofutti cream cheese today after eventually finding a health food shop that sells it.
I think its yummy, especially on clearsprings rice cakes mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.triano.f2s.com/tr/chilled-crm-04.php

I don't like Tofutti Creamy Smooth :vomit: I've tried it twice, the plain and the herb. It's like that wall filler stuff. I've heard good things about Better Than Cream Cheese... not sure if it's really just the same stuff, but with a different name, but i can't find it anyways. I do like Tofutti's sour cream though... that tastes a lot like normal sour cream! But i never know what to make with that.