PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian cheese

Atomik
23-10--2005, 10:23 PM
How strict are people about vegetarian cheese when they're eating out? Is it something you check? Is it important to you? I used to be quite religious about this sort of thing, but I've found my standards slipping when outside the home. I'm still fanatical about food I purchase for the house though.

Boy Anachronism
24-10--2005, 02:22 AM
I thought it was really rare for cheese to be made with animal renet nowadays anyway? Short of getting a list of ingredients before each meal, and then checking the ingredients of each ingredient, you can't really be so picky.
When I eat out, if it don't say meat on the menu, then that's good enough for me.

Dancing
24-10--2005, 03:32 AM
re Veggie cheese:

It’s still made of milk, so even if the rennet is not from a calf’s stomach, you have taken the milk that mother made for that calf, and that calf’s been sent off the market / slaughter house.
Sorry to be heavy, just facts

plus the yes-very-common-veggie rennet cheese , the rennet was developed from a GM source chymosin, so if you wants to avoid GM , avoid it.
U could try Scheese, or Cheezly, vegan alternatives – prob. not so good tasting but sweet to the soul

PS I heard some pizza places are doin’ vegan “cheese” now?
Dancing 24.10.05

Whirler
24-10--2005, 10:28 AM
re Veggie cheese:

It’s still made of milk, so even if the rennet is not from a calf’s stomach, you have taken the milk that mother made for that calf, and that calf’s been sent off the market / slaughter house.
Sorry to be heavy, just facts

The point you're making is irrelevant to this thread. It's obviously for vegetarians who eat cheese and the majority of veggies understand the issues involved in dairy farming. By all means start a new post regarding the dairy industry but please leave this thread on topic. :)

Whirler
24-10--2005, 10:31 AM
I thought it was really rare for cheese to be made with animal renet nowadays anyway? Aye, 'tis true, although I think some foreign cheeses may still use animal rennet or not make it clear if they do/don't. Parmesan uses animal rennet although Sainsbury's supply a vegetarian 'Italian' cheese identical to p'san. Doubt we'll ever see it in non-veggie restaurants though.

random_spontaneosity
24-10--2005, 02:22 PM
Aye, 'tis true, although I think some foreign cheeses may still use animal rennet or not make it clear if they do/don't. Parmesan uses animal rennet although Sainsbury's supply a vegetarian 'Italian' cheese identical to p'san. Doubt we'll ever see it in non-veggie restaurants though.

edams a definate not veggie one, so much so that they make veggie edam as well!!! damn confusing in the shop and they taste the same... hmm

but i dont check when im out whether cheese is orisnt. ifitsays something like edam, i wont ahve it. but generally its cheese, i eat it.

im picky about whati get for home though.

Atomik
24-10--2005, 02:39 PM
Apparently most standard hard cheeses produced in the UK are now veggie, even if they don't say so. If you're really strict, still best to check.

zig zag
24-10--2005, 03:36 PM
Sainsbury's supply a vegetarian 'Italian' cheese identical to p'san. Doubt we'll ever see it in non-veggie restaurants though.

Awww...I'm so jealous! :p I've searched high and low for veggie parmesan in Australia to no avail.

I usually try to avoid eating anything with cheese in when I'm out but if I'm eating with other people sometimes I have to let things slide a bit, depending whats on the menu.

Chegzy
24-10--2005, 04:36 PM
Ive found a lot of cheese does contain animal rennet, especially if its cheap stuff or if you get it from a delicatessen
I would think that most restaurants would use cheap cheese and more than likely have animal rennett in which is why i try to avoid it

nothing to do with cheese but has anyone noticed that some restaurants try to sell fish as a vegetarian alternative?

Atomik
24-10--2005, 04:56 PM
nothing to do with cheese but has anyone noticed that some restaurants try to sell fish as a vegetarian alternative?Yeah, I think it's Somerfield who also include fish as veggie, so you've gotta really check their products even if they have a veggie label on (tuna sarnies are veggie according to them!).

Whirler
24-10--2005, 10:42 PM
has anyone noticed that some restaurants try to sell fish as a vegetarian alternative?Yep. It puts me straight off them, if a food establishment is that ignorant - they're not getting my money!

Atomik
24-10--2005, 10:52 PM
http://www.ukhippy.com/gallery/files/3/fish.jpg

Claerie
25-10--2005, 12:26 AM
The point you're making is irrelevant to this thread. It's obviously for vegetarians who eat cheese and the majority of veggies understand the issues involved in dairy farming. By all means start a new post regarding the dairy industry but please leave this thread on topic. :)

I'm not sure that the majority of veggies do realise the issues involved in dairy farming, but ok, this isn't quite the thread for it :)

random_spontaneosity
25-10--2005, 02:32 PM
re Veggie cheese:

plus the yes-very-common-veggie rennet cheese , the rennet was developed from a GM source chymosin, so if you wants to avoid GM , avoid it.
U could try Scheese, or Cheezly, vegan alternatives – prob. not so good tasting but sweet to the soul

PS I heard some pizza places are doin’ vegan “cheese” now?
Dancing 24.10.05

i got some cheese from iceland today. i hate cheese from iceland coz its tasteless and crap but im out of cheese. anyway... it says on there, i quote, typing fromthe cheeese packet...

"the cheese used in this product is made with vegetarian chymosin which is produced using gene technology. no genetically modified material is present in the finished product"

now, does gene technology scream GM at you?

to me- kinda, kinda not. coz it could just be that they developed this stuff without genetically modifying anything, but on the other hand gene technology means that they're modifying genes to get what they want.

im gona eat it anyway, i need my cheese. but again, i dont like shoipping in iceland. they dont sell organic milk.

probably shouldnt have posted this....

showmet
25-10--2005, 02:38 PM
it says on there, i quote, typing fromthe cheeese packet...

I'm more impressed that the cheese packet comes with its own keyboard:eek: Gotta get me to Iceland pronto:wave:

Dancing
27-10--2005, 02:13 AM
“It shouts out GM” because it _ is_ developed using GM.
And not a lot of veggies know that, because the developers have done it since 1984 or thereabouts very quietly, and that is another reason I’m glad I no longer eat it.
“They” say no GM is in the final product, but the same sorts of people say that there is nothing detectable in homoeopathic medicine, yet I know from own experience the effect homeopathy has.
Anyway, if you want to avoid GM, eat organic cheese (it uses Mucor Miehei as a non-GM but veggie rennet) or avoid cheese.

And as for veggies all knowing the cruelty & death to calves, no, I never knew it for about 8 yrs eating veggie, until I looked into it.

random_spontaneosity
27-10--2005, 01:28 PM
organic... theres a better plan. itsjust more money... why!!!!

Claerie
27-10--2005, 11:58 PM
And as for veggies all knowing the cruelty & death to calves, no, I never knew it for about 8 yrs eating veggie, until I looked into it.

ditto... you feel like you're doing the best you can by being veggie, til your eye's get opened... I still love cheese as a taste thing, but I physically cant bring myself to eat it after I've seen the background to those sanitised little plastic packages sold in supermarkets. :(

Atomik
28-10--2005, 12:24 AM
Guys..... I'm not being funny, but this is a veggie and vegan forum. Veggies will mention cheese from time to time, and I don't wanna see every thread where cheese is mentioned turned into a discussion on the ethics of dairy. If you want to discuss the ethics of dairy, by all means start a thread on it.

Claerie
28-10--2005, 12:33 AM
Guys..... I'm not being funny, but this is a veggie and vegan forum. Veggies will mention cheese from time to time, and I don't wanna see every thread where cheese is mentioned turned into a discussion on the ethics of dairy. If you want to discuss the ethics of dairy, by all means start a thread on it.

No discussion needed, I was agreeing that Cheese tastes good, but i personally cant eat it anymore and giving my reasons why.

No-one's starting a debate or argument, we're just exchanging ideas, I'd hate to see vegan's contributions to threads edited just because they choose to not eat dairy anymore :(

There's a difference between a brief ponder on shared ethics... and a whole discussion on ethics..

I always preffered Brie myself ;)

Atomik
28-10--2005, 12:37 AM
Nobody's suggesting vegan's can't contribute to this forum. But the thread's about how strict veggies are when eating out - not about the ethics of cheese. Bringing up the ethics of dairy on a thread like this is, imho, seriously derailing the topic. I certainly feel as though the original question I was asking has been completely lost. I have nothing against veganism, and think it's a sensible progression from vegetarianism. I applaud anyone who makes that step and support them 100%. But this isn't the thread for discussing those issues.

showmet
28-10--2005, 12:52 PM
Nobody's suggesting vegan's can't contribute

This whole messageboard has become infected with the Grocer's Apostrophe Syndrome (Carrot's 25p)... it's everywhere ... my eyes, my eyes:wall: :(

:topic::doh!::ban:

Atomik
28-10--2005, 01:02 PM
Whoops. That was a typo. I know how to use my apostrophe's!!! :insane: