PDA

View Full Version : Festival Greenbelt

Zim
31-08--2006, 02:23 AM
My word it was fun.

The spinning, the music, the people....... Oh my!

I've already sent you both a PM but Sunflower and Elliott, thankyou soo much for being there and putting up with me :D

as promised i have started dreading my hair and have put a green wrap around my first dread to remember this year :D

Pictures later.....

sunflower
31-08--2006, 11:27 PM
hay any time we dident have to put up with you we merly corrupted you
thanks for the big penice on the roof of my tent and the lovely moment when you went arse over tit and skided across the soggy mud.

Elliott
01-09--2006, 01:35 AM
man i must get a video of you playing those bgsy malone songs on your guitar!!!

sunflower
01-09--2006, 12:06 PM
yer i thought the its a riffer song full blast in the middle of the stwerds camping area was ace but so bad
elliott your version of damen rice and cannonball was assome

Atomik
01-09--2006, 12:35 PM
Isn't it a bit full of christians? :scared:

Coyote
01-09--2006, 12:39 PM
Isn't it a bit full of christians? :scared:

My thoughts as well! We're folks THAT wasted they didnt notice all the evangelicals and hand-raising?!:eek: :whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbelt_festival

Elliott
01-09--2006, 01:37 PM
thats why we went for our own party offsite where we could have fires. they were so anal about fires. they tried to tell me that nee nore was an illegal vehicle and had to be removed from site. then i said she wasnt and i have all the paper work to prove it. then he said he didnt care and that someone was coming to tow her off site so i siad id move her and he wouldnt let me move her and thrashed his fire van up behind nee nore so i was blocked in. turns out it was all lies and he was just being really mean and was completly unnessisary. he really had me quite worried as if id over looked somthing and i strated to beieve id done something wrong too. it was really quite unfair and i felt really humilliated having a official looking down at me giving me a grilling infront of all these people and having nee nore surrounded by 3 fire vans.

but i made a compliant. apparently they kicked him offsite but im not sure if thats true of not. they tried to reasure me that it was nothing to do with what greenbelt was about but to be honest it really did look like a zombie movie there. our offsite doo was much nicer and much more relaxed. if id have stayed on that site a moment longer id have gone insane. i met a few nice people there but they were few and far between.

i had two guys approach me and feed me the same old lines i used to get at church. they might as well have been robots.

i did hear one really nice thing that has stuck with me thought. one girl i met had just come back from india and was telling me all about it. about all thie different meditations and treasures of the culture there and i have to say. i really really want to go. she'd really been filled with the beauty of the place and you could see it in her eyes and passion of life. we spoke about how the so called festival was full of zombies but then she said how it was the root of her spirituality... i never really looked at it in that way. it was the first place i found any kind of spirituality and its also the root of mine. and is a part of me weither i like it or not ;) i do wonder how things would be if id have never been involved in the church and been free to find my own way. but i cant deny my christian background as it has played the core role in my spiritual journey

maybe i should post that in the spirituality and religion bit

Zim
01-09--2006, 07:47 PM
that fireman was a vindictive bored aroogant twunt!

Yeah the christans can be a bit wierd, but they tend not to talk to you unless you start talking to them (especially if your walking around with somone in a Marilyn Manson shirt :harhar:).

The reasons i go are that its one of the only times in the year i get to mean melyn and other people. Also it was one of the only festies i knew of (at the time) that wasnt as intense and dangerous as reading, glasto etc

sunflower
01-09--2006, 08:10 PM
being on the stwearding side i no wot jobs worth up startsfire crew can be am glad the one in qustion was botted of site.
and the trouble with green belt is its full of bible bashers.
na its a good festie genrouly the poeple are friendly and ready for a convo theres a few that can be tricky i had a guy cume face to face with me over a dispute but he soon ran away when i pulled out my maglight
and youl be surprised how many pagons attend we now even have a goths cerman

Zim
01-09--2006, 08:17 PM
yeah the goth worship and the ska mass is always worth a visit, even if your not into the whole religeous mumbo jumbo

Elliott
01-09--2006, 11:51 PM
see all that i missede out on cause i had to work in that crappy stall thats full of water logged mud/sludge and falling to bits and up for sale

melyn
04-09--2006, 12:36 PM
I've already sent you both a PM but Sunflower and Elliott, thankyou soo much for being there and putting up with me :D

as promised i have started dreading my hair and have put a green wrap around my first dread to remember this year :D

Pictures later.....
Ahem, what about me ... I have to put up with you every bloody year :wall:

Good to hear you started your dreads though

Paul
05-09--2006, 06:14 PM
I went to greenbelt about 20 years ago ... the main thing I noticed (apart from the evangelism) was the way people seemed to cordon off their tents with miles and miles of string ... was very odd.

Do they still do that there?

Atomik
05-09--2006, 06:15 PM
I went to greenbelt about 20 years ago ... the main thing I noticed (apart from the evangelism) was the way people seemed to be cordoning off their tents with miles and miles of string ... was very odd.

Do they still do that there?Only if they have daughters and see ya coming! :harhar:

Zim
05-09--2006, 08:07 PM
now its yellow and black cordon tape (which all the kids rip within the first few hours of thier construction).

i belive they are there to create some kind of roadway or somthing.

Paul
05-09--2006, 09:19 PM
Nah, when I want it was string ... and loads of people seemed to have their own supply and marked their own territory out using pegs that they hammered into the ground .. It was like attending an event full of scout leaders.

sunflower
05-09--2006, 10:56 PM
oh yer no its much more laid back now had a big shape up bak in the nintys
but the yellow and black tapes there fore fire routs has to be for health and safty unfortunatly the pc medderlers change something every year next year theres a push to have the hole site no smokeing

arlia
06-09--2006, 05:32 PM
hey zim, you still got my wrap from last year!
that night we all stayed up at the tiny tea tent, and i foundn it on the ground! :-)

awwww gaaaawwwsh i missed you guYS!
:-(

sunflower
06-09--2006, 06:25 PM
hay a nother greenbelt fezbeen next year well have a commun i tills thi

melyn
06-09--2006, 11:58 PM
hey zim, you still got my wrap from last year!
that night we all stayed up at the tiny tea tent, and i foundn it on the ground! :-)

awwww gaaaawwwsh i missed you guYS!
:-(

I was curious actually ... why wern't you there this year? :(

velvet
07-09--2006, 07:19 AM
Went to a Christian festival here in my country twice when I had sort of a christian boyfriend. The vibe was much more nicer than at another festy I've been.. you could leave stuff lieing around without it being stolen and the mood was realy friendly overall. The music varied from praise to doommetal and there was a really nice ska band so that was pretty ok.. just the whole christianthing itself made me iffy cause I'm soooo not Christian. Especially the little bookstores there were made me borderline violent sometimes.. I love hanging out in bookstores but NOT when I'm surrounded by books telling me Harry Potter is plain evil (but justifying LOTR at the same time).. grr...

So.. was a nice experience but doubt that I'll ever go to a Christian orientated festival again.

Good to hear you have a good time.. apart from the firetruck things

arlia
07-09--2006, 07:31 AM
I was curious actually ... why wern't you there this year? :(

ran out of holiday coz im going to africa in 1 month just over.
first stop is entebbe. uganda, then to lake nubagabo ( my dad used to go there as a kid) then to kampala to visit my little orphan kids from watoto village - then namirembe where my dad grew up, then a place called jinja my dad says it has the most gorgeous art deco buildings there, then were off to some little islands. mostly hanging out near lake victoria.......

thats all in one week, then we fly out to malwi, spend some time in llogwe, then head down to blanta to go to our friends wedding, at some point wel go to lake malawi and eat some chambo and visit cape meclear.

shame i couldnt have done GB this year too, i woulda give you a big ol smooch on your forhead
:heart: :heart:

i did miss seing you all!
i have a great picture of us pretensing to be trees where jaz got his hair all pinkified, then i bit your arm!!!!
HAHAH
will haveto show you those pics.......my best one is zim drinking cider out of his boot!!!

melyn
07-09--2006, 10:38 AM
ran out of holiday coz im going to africa in 1 month just over.
first stop is entebbe. uganda, then to lake nubagabo ( my dad used to go there as a kid) then to kampala to visit my little orphan kids from watoto village - then namirembe where my dad grew up, then a place called jinja my dad says it has the most gorgeous art deco buildings there, then were off to some little islands. mostly hanging out near lake victoria.......

thats all in one week, then we fly out to malwi, spend some time in llogwe, then head down to blanta to go to our friends wedding, at some point wel go to lake malawi and eat some chambo and visit cape meclear.

shame i couldnt have done GB this year too, i woulda give you a big ol smooch on your forhead
:heart: :heart:

i did miss seing you all!
i have a great picture of us pretensing to be trees where jaz got his hair all pinkified, then i bit your arm!!!!
HAHAH
will haveto show you those pics.......my best one is zim drinking cider out of his boot!!!
:madlol: I remember that, that was a great festie, so much fun. I'm gonna have to see the pics sometime.

I suppose from the sounds of things you've got a good excuse for not being there, guess i'll hang up me shackles and let you off :D I hope you have a great time in Africa, what you doing before then? Keep in touch, as I wanna hear all about it, would love to go to Africa someday. xxx

arlia
07-09--2006, 04:45 PM
tell ay what give me your adress and il send you a bead for one of your sexy dreads!
:-)
before then just boring work!
grrr

melyn
07-09--2006, 07:14 PM
That would be so nice, thankyou :hug:, will pm you my adress now.

Work is very dull, am trying to avoid it at the mo, but could really do with some cash.

arlia
07-09--2006, 07:16 PM
awww bless you!
i wrok at a post office boooooorrrinnnnng!!!
but my etsy site is doing ok
www.arliaflower.etsy.com (http://www.arliaflower.etsy.com)

*hugs*

Elliott
07-09--2006, 09:48 PM
ok ive just had a moment of clarity. i feel ive been a bit narrow minded about the whole greenbelt experience. whith my time there i felt i wasnt quite as open minded as i could have been. my frustration with not being able to light fires onsite and also with the 'zombie' metaphor i used to describe the festival was narrow minded and very shallow of me.

i do feel that the way the festival is, is just another state of being. i persieved things in the wrong wayand let my oppinions run away with me.

i do think that had i been a bit more open minded that the festival would have been a whole different experience and i would have loved every part of the festival for what it was. there was a lot going on and i missed it because i was too caught up in how i was feeling at the time i forgot that there was other things to be experienced through the way greenbelt was.

i dont have any regrets about this because ive learnt from this but if im ever at green belt again i know ill have a fantastic time.

there are many treasures to be found in christianity. its not all bad. :insane:

if i end up at greenbelt again i have no doubt in my mind that ill have the time of my life just like everywhere else ive been.

i do have my dissagreements with the church but thats my own personal journey.

i look forward to any time i come in contact with anyone from greenbelt and wish anyone that goes a wonderfull time :)

all the love i can give

Elliott x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

sunflower
08-09--2006, 12:55 AM
well elliott im hopeing you well get there for next year.
i take it thats you first year ?? ok ive been going ten years and its only in the last 4/5 years that ive realy started to love it. my niggles befor was dident have a communaty of friends that id meet up with every year i was trying to take in the xtian side of things and geting wound up with it coz i dont belive in a margoraty of it and a hole list of things that i could do at over festies that i was unable to do at g b.
ok basicly im just sayen come next year was and is realy grate to meet up with you plus were would we be with out your gutare to keep us lvely and happy

Elliott
08-09--2006, 05:07 PM
well elliott im hopeing you well get there for next year.
i take it thats you first year ?? ok ive been going ten years and its only in the last 4/5 years that ive realy started to love it. my niggles befor was dident have a communaty of friends that id meet up with every year i was trying to take in the xtian side of things and geting wound up with it coz i dont belive in a margoraty of it and a hole list of things that i could do at over festies that i was unable to do at g b.
ok basicly im just sayen come next year was and is realy grate to meet up with you plus were would we be with out your gutare to keep us lvely and happy

hehehe cheers bud!

actually its my 4th year at gb :p ive also worked on the doodah stall. one year i got absolutly covered in doodah stickers from head to foot. i got attacked by this big group of girls with shiny stickers egged on by my work collegues then loads of other people started to join in. they were all over me. hahaha. that was a good year:p

dunksplace
09-09--2006, 04:42 AM
it's a night shift and just doing random greenbelt searches to see what's around and about , i just spoted this a name sunflower i reconise , if you been stewarding ten years then ya started when i did, funky site love and hugs dunk:hippy:

sunflower
09-09--2006, 01:56 PM
it's a night shift and just doing random greenbelt searches to see what's around and about , i just spoted this a name sunflower i reconise , if you been stewarding ten years then ya started when i did, funky site love and hugs dunk:hippy:

dunk are you a stweard at g b ive been stwearding for 9 years my first year was 1981 i was 6 weeks old started stwearding at dean 98 i think and 99 to presont been at cheltonham sunflower is the name im known by both here and out side if im right im thinking we no each over well but ill see when this is relpyed to ?????

Zim
16-09--2006, 10:01 AM
hehehe cheers bud!

actually its my 4th year at gb :p ive also worked on the doodah stall. one year i got absolutly covered in doodah stickers from head to foot. i got attacked by this big group of girls with shiny stickers egged on by my work collegues then loads of other people started to join in. they were all over me. hahaha. that was a good year:p

i seem to recall a sticker covered fellow surrounded by girls.

i was scared and jealous so i didnt talk to you