PDA

View Full Version : World News South Africa

Pages : [1] 2

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:12 PM
Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFN8WDEe6BE
(keep in mind that SA belonged to the Zulu people and then England and all the other countries started wars to ownership....our generation today in SA are fighting the wars started back then..the whites were awful to the blacks and now they (who had heard stories from their mothers and grandparents) are taking revenge (do you blame some of them for feeling the way they do?!..i dont but to take revenge is wrong! Wars are wrong! They want leadership of the country and have had it now for a good 12 years...and the county is being destroyed, through ignorance and crime!

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:17 PM
Who is "they"?

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:18 PM
hey you lived there right? Do you speak Afrikaans? It's sooo close to Dutch, really fun to hear it being spoken or see it written :)

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:21 PM
Who is "they"? the black people....
(Just for the record, im not rasist..one of my best friends in SA is black and i adore her!!!she has a grand daughter who is my fairies age and we send her little dresses and girly things... we visit her everytime were in beautiful SA..shes a darling and i wish i can adopt her to live a better life here (i asked about adopting her but her family do ant her with them)with us:(her mother is so very young and cant look after her although her and her granny live in a little shed on the property where the granny works...

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:23 PM
hey you lived there right? Do you speak Afrikaans? It's sooo close to Dutch, really fun to hear it being spoken or see it written :)
'ja my pa was Afrikaans maar ek het engels gepraat...' did you understand that?...by the way the funny song on the 'finally found it' thread is all afrikaans people speaking elkshing thats why it sounds like that...us english speaking aouth afrikans sound more like new zealanders/ australians...im always stopped and asked if in from NZ or Australia..;)

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:24 PM
the black people....
(Just for the record, im not rasist..)But hun... referring to people of a particular skin colour as though they can all be grouped together under one label is racist.

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:25 PM
But hun... referring to people of a particular skin colour as though they can all be grouped together under one label is racist. hun, you will need to live in SA to understand it...Its SO different here...i dont even see colour...In SA it IS a black and white war wether we like it or not...unfortunately...and i personally hate it...how can i be rasist when ive helped so many black children? my parents are right at this moment supplying medication to the AIDS sufferes... through their friends who can get into the villages safelty without being shot for their skin colour

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:27 PM
'ja my pa was Afrikaans maar ek het engels gepraat...' did you understand that?...by the way the funny song on the 'finally found it' thread is all afrikaans people speaking elkshing thats why it sounds like that...us english speaking aouth afrikans sound more like new zealanders/ australians...im always stopped and asked if in from NZ or Australia..;)

I don't know any southafricans personally but yeah what I heard from it it does sound a bit like that.. hehe.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:28 PM
hun, you will need to live in SA to understand it...Its SO different here...i dont even see colour...Well ya talking about a group of people as though they're all the same. Now you're telling me I can't possibly understand it without living there.... .don't sound great, does it? If you were just talking about the ANC or something in your first post, then I'd get it. But it's always "the blacks". Why can't it be "the ANC" have run SA into the ground? Or "those people with a particular agenda"? Like it or not, grouping all black people together is racist. It's the dictionary definition! To prejudge.

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:28 PM
hun, you will need to live in SA to understand it...Its SO different here...i dont even see colour...In SA it IS a black and white war wether we like it or not...unfortunately...

and as being Dutch I apologise for what my ancestors did overthere ;)

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:30 PM
and as being Dutch I apologise for what my ancestors did overthere ;) dont be silly...;):)

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:33 PM
dont be silly...;):)

hehe but I know what you mean with the black/white thing tho.. it doesn't influence one on one contacts but it stays a bit us & them on some level if you deal with things like immigration, war, equality etc. At least that's what I felt when I was hanging out with West Africans refugees a lot last year..

And what I know from SA it's a real hardknock world there racially speaking.

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:34 PM
Well ya talking about a group of people as though they're all the same. Now you're telling me I can't possibly understand it without living there.... .don't sound great, does it? If you were just talking about the ANC or something in your first post, then I'd get it. But it's always "the blacks". Why can't it be "the ANC" have run SA into the ground? Or "those people with a particular agenda"? Like it or not, grouping all black people together is racist. It's the dictionary definition! To prejudge. (appologies)I should have said ANC although there are so many other groups formed as the ANC havent 'fixed' things a lot of people fromt the ANC have now formed their own groups...:whistle:

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:35 PM
Well ya talking about a group of people as though they're all the same. Now you're telling me I can't possibly understand it without living there.... .don't sound great, does it? If you were just talking about the ANC or something in your first post, then I'd get it. But it's always "the blacks". Why can't it be "the ANC" have run SA into the ground? Or "those people with a particular agenda"? Like it or not, grouping all black people together is racist. It's the dictionary definition! To prejudge.

thing is that the blacks in SA (the majority probably) are just as racists as the whites.. it's a perpetuum mobile or however that is spelled.. it's not pretty and not morally ok but damn hard to break through. And at this point it's the white people who have to put high fences round their houses as not to get robbed and killed.. so human instinct just kicks in and starts thinking in the 'ingroup' and 'outgroup' concepts.

Not saying it's right.. just saying it's very hard to break through

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:37 PM
hehe but I know what you mean with the black/white thing tho.. it doesn't influence one on one contacts but it stays a bit us & them on some level if you deal with things like immigration, war, equality etc. At least that's what I felt when I was hanging out with West Africans refugees a lot last year..

And what I know from SA it's a real hardknock world there racially speaking.
yes, like i said, id love to have brought my little friend over here to live with us here sharing a bedroom with my fairy.:(I could spoil her rotten..all the things she never imagined she could have and do and the safety..oh the safety would make her blossom and grow and make her well.

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:38 PM
yes, like i said, id love to have brought my little friend over here to live with us here sharing a bedroom with my fairy.:(I could spoil her rotten..all the things she never imagined she could have and do and the safety..oh the safety would make her blossom and grow and make her well.

yeah just wants to make you stand in the middle of the country and scream "all shut up and get along now!!!" doesn't it? The kids grow up with so much prejudice and hatred.. meh... it's those generations that should at least experience what it's like to live in a peacefull environment.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:39 PM
thing is that the blacks in SA (the majority probably) are just as racists as the whites..What, all of them? Even making that assumption about an entire ethnic group is racist!

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:39 PM
thing is that the blacks in SA (the majority probably) are just as racists as the whites.. it's a perpetuum mobile or however that is spelled.. it's not pretty and not morally ok but damn hard to break through. And at this point it's the white people who have to put high fences round their houses as not to get robbed and killed.. so human instinct just kicks in and starts thinking in the 'ingroup' and 'outgroup' concepts.

Not saying it's right.. just saying it's very hard to break through
VERY hard!..not just high fences , those get cut down/burned...electric fences..guard dogs are useless..they get killed...meat with broken glass in it gets thrown over the wall or they get sprayed in the face with insect repelent ..the chemicals kill them slowly.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:41 PM
(appologies)I should have said ANC although there are so many other groups formed as the ANC havent 'fixed' things a lot of people fromt the ANC have now formed their own groups...:whistle:That would be much better. Might be an idea to remember that not all people of a particular skin colour are the same.

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:43 PM
What, all of them? Even making that assumption about an entire ethnic group is racist!

I'm willing to make the bet that 9 out of 10 black people in SA refer to white people as 'them' and that 9 out of 10 white people refer to black people as 'them'... that's not me being racist.. that's me trying to point out how bad the situation there is.

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:44 PM
What, all of them? Even making that assumption about an entire ethnic group is racist!
Right,lets go back to the beginning.. lets say the Zulus and Xhosas versus the British/Dutch/French/Germans (well thats where i came from..those 4..still trying to trace ansesters way back..) Now is that rasist? im not using color here...

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:45 PM
Right,lets go back to the beginning.. lets say the Zulus and Xhosas versus the British/Dutch/French/Germans (well thats where i came from..those 4..still trying to trace ansesters way back..) Now is that rasist? im not using color here...

so all the black german people and all the white zulu people...... *grin*

but yeah.. let's get back on topic :)

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:46 PM
I'm willing to make the bet that 9 out of 10 black people in SA refer to white people as 'them' and that 9 out of 10 white people refer to black people as 'them'... that's not me being racist.. that's me trying to point out how bad the situation there is. agreed...how do you know so much...experienced it first hand?

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:48 PM
That would be much better. Might be an idea to remember that not all people of a particular skin colour are the same. they definatelly are not the same...l adore my friends over there..they arent like us (white cockaroaches they call us:D)

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:49 PM
I'm willing to make the bet that 9 out of 10 black people in SA refer to white people as 'them' and that 9 out of 10 white people refer to black people as 'them'... that's not me being racist.. that's me trying to point out how bad the situation there is.And that would be racist on the part of black people too. Grouping a whole people together on the basis of their skin colour is racist.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:50 PM
Right,lets go back to the beginning.. lets say the Zulus and Xhosas versus the British/Dutch/French/Germans (well thats where i came from..those 4..still trying to trace ansesters way back..) Now is that rasist? im not using color here...Huh? What are you actually asking?

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:50 PM
so all the black german people and all the white zulu people...... *grin*

but yeah.. let's get back on topic :) well no not quite...thats a different lot of people ...

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:51 PM
agreed...how do you know so much...experienced it first hand?

I live in a very black community at the moment.. but more importantly, my boyfriend is from Surinam which is a former slave country and people there are far less policitally correct.. they always refer to their own religious group or ethnicity (depending on topic of conversation) as 'us' and the rest as 'them'... if you are all touchy about it and go "ooh that's racist" then they just laugh.. hehe.. think the whole 'being concerned' with being racist thing when it comes to speech is very much a white thing.

My boyfriend is half chinese half indonesian btw.. so not black. But the Chinese community is very very racist.. even if you have a drop of none-chinese in you you're not considered a part of 'them'. My boyfriend looks very Chinese though so we still get the priviledge treatment in Chinese restaurants *grin*..

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:51 PM
And that would be racist on the part of black people too. Grouping a whole people together on the basis of their skin colour is racist.

eh yup.. that's what I've been trying to say all along sweety :)

Atomik
03-09--2006, 05:53 PM
eh yup.. that's what I've been trying to say all along sweety :)Well if you'd actually said it, I'd have agreed with ya. :harhar:

velvet
03-09--2006, 05:55 PM
Well if you'd actually said it, I'd have agreed with ya. :harhar:

You jump into defense mode too easily before trying to think if I could be making an actual point that you could find yourself agreeing with :harhar:

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:55 PM
Huh? What are you actually asking? well instead of using color im using the ancestoral (spelling) roots where all this began...am i making sence ?? I tell you what....why dont you go to SA spend a good month there and come back and tell me what you thought of it all...your honest opinion because unless youve lived you you just dont know ...its so hard to explain and its a sad situation and i wish i could make it all go away as its my home land and i miss it terribly, my family, the sun and warmth, the smell of smoke in the air, the african songs in the villages that we go through to get to the Drakensberg Mountains, the crickets in the grass at night, the wildlife, my friends...:(

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 05:59 PM
At least that's what I felt when I was hanging out with West Africans refugees a lot last year..

Where was this? and why?

Atomik
03-09--2006, 06:00 PM
You jump into defense mode too easily before trying to think if I could be making an actual point that you could find yourself agreeing with :harhar:Nah. I still disagee with your original point and the way you made it and the assumptions that it seems to represent. :D

Atomik
03-09--2006, 06:01 PM
well instead of using color im using the ancestoral (spelling) roots where all this began...It doesn't matter whether it's about race, colour or religion. As soon as you stick any group of people under a label and talk about them as though they're all the same, it's prejudice.

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 06:06 PM
It doesn't matter whether it's about race, colour or religion. As soon as you stick any group of people under a label and talk about them as though they're all the same, it's prejudice.

Thanks...i learned something today:harhar:

velvet
03-09--2006, 06:12 PM
Where was this? and why?
here in Amsterdam.. I tried doing some volunteerwork at a project of a Southafrican priest (Dubée).. but he turned out to be corrupt as hell and only use the young black guys to get money off. He took pictures of them and told people they had aids so he got more funding.. but the guys never saw anything from that money, plus they obviously didn't like being 'used' like that. I got befriended with one of the guys there.. he couldn't read so I tried to learn him to read English. He was illegal in the country, got arrested and shipped back to Sierra Leone.. I still have his file here.

Hang out with friends of his during the time he was in jail here while waiting for his forced return.. During that time I spend quite some time in their (cockroach infested) room, watching Nigerian movies (couldn't get used to those!!) and passing the joint. We tried to help one of the guys by letting him use our address so he could get back into the system again but he ended up being a complete asshole and even threatening me (had to call the police).

Eventually I cut ties with the complete group after that one guy threatend me.. just didn't feel safe anymore around them and had the feeling they were using me anyway. One guy didn't have a driverslicense for instance and wanted me to put his car on my name cause he needed it for his illegal cabbusiness.. I refused and after that he gave me the cold shoulder.

Meh.

I dunno.. the guy who got transported back was really friendly (although really clingy eventually but I think that just was because he was scared)..

Dibdabs
03-09--2006, 06:17 PM
I found that the seperation between poor zulu people and rich white people in south africa was very in your face. When I was in Nongoma (Quazulu natal) I was stared at, shouted "prostitute" and "whore" at because I was white. I was grabbed and held up against a wall by a zulu policeman and told that I must marry him and that if I didn't I was obviously a racist. The zulu children were shocked to see a white person in a black area and they swarmed around me touching my skin because it was white. A lot of the zulu kids I talked to had had it drummed into them there whole lives that if they were naughty the white man will come and get them. I also spent time in some of the richer white parts of durban where all the houses had very tall fences around and buttons inside the houses which they could press at anytime resulting in policemen turing up and shooting down anyone who appeared to be tresspassing. I know it sounds racist to say "the black people" and "the white people".. but when you see it it is hard to describe it as anything else.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 06:25 PM
I know it sounds racist to say "the black people" and "the white people".. but when you see it it is hard to describe it as anything else.Yeah, I totally get that. But if we don't start talking about it as something else, we're just contributing towards the perpetuation of racial division.

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 06:28 PM
I found that the seperation between poor zulu people and rich white people in south africa was very in your face. When I was in Nongoma (Quazulu natal) I was stared at, shouted "prostitute" and "whore" at because I was white. I was grabbed and held up against a wall by a zulu policeman and told that I must marry him and that if I didn't I was obviously a racist. The zulu children were shocked to see a white person in a black area and they swarmed around me touching my skin because it was white. A lot of the zulu kids I talked to had had it drummed into them there whole lives that if they were naughty the white man will come and get them. I also spent time in some of the richer white parts of durban where all the houses had very tall fences around and buttons inside the houses which they could press at anytime resulting in policemen turing up and shooting down anyone who appeared to be tresspassing. I know it sounds racist to say "the black people" and "the white people".. but when you see it it is hard to describe it as anything else.

Like i said you really have to expeirence it to understand it..its such a shame! AAAh so youve been to Durban..beautiful beaches hey?! I spent a lot of my life there...glad youre okay..my friends car was jumped on by 4 zulu men at a traffic light..she pulled off to get them off but was shot and killed...left behind a little boy of 5..no dad..very sad..there are millions of stories and everyone has one to tell..or a few!Weve just lost that many friends that we decided to move out to at least try to protect our children.And sleeping with a gun under a pillow is no laughing matter..especially when theres a crawling baby sleeping in your bed who wakes up earlier than you, and youve moved off the pillow slightly...

velvet
03-09--2006, 06:31 PM
...that if they were naughty the white man will come and get them.

that sounds very similar to a folktale from Sierra Leone were kids were warned not to play near the river because there is a white lady with very long golden hair living there who will lure you in and take you down forever.

Probably just a tale to avoid having kids play at a river that is dangerous cause of currents etc but they did use the 'white scary person' for it. The Sierra Leone guy I knew sometimes asked me if I was luring him in cause I was white, have long blonde hair and was friendly to him.. he thought there must be a catch for me talking to him. *sigh*

Hard to break the circle.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 06:33 PM
Y'know, all this talk of having to go there to understand... I've known white south africans who talk about black people like they're the shit on their shoe. I'm not really sure that's the kinda understanding I want.

Dibdabs
03-09--2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I totally get that. But if we don't start talking about it as something else, we're just contributing towards the perpetuation of racial division.

Yeah perhaps thats true. I just cant figure out another way to describe it?? could you suggest a way?

Atomik
03-09--2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah perhaps thats true. I just cant figure out another way to describe it?? could you suggest a way?There's nothing wrong with referring to people as black or white. The problem only arises when we say "black people think like this" or "white people think like this". All ya need to do is qualify it with "some" or "a lot of" or "most poor".... just to make sure that we're not classing an entire people together because of their skin.

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 06:37 PM
Y'know, all this talk of having to go there to understand... I've known white south africans who talk about black people like they're the shit on their shoe. I'm not really sure that's the kinda understanding I want. Everyone has an opinion but its not always right...black people are very VERY special people and its the wars within a county that seperate things and mess things up!!!!I beleive each person, no matter what they look like or sound like is equal...and need to be treated with respect. (This is me saying all of this without going into a religion:))

Atomik
03-09--2006, 06:39 PM
Everyone has an opinion but its not always right...black people are very VERY special people and its the wars within a county that seperate things and mess things up!!!!I beleive each person, no matter what they look like or sound like is equal...and need to be treated with respect. (This is me saying all of this without going into a religion:))And the greatest respect you can give 'em is to treat 'em as individuals and not "blacks" or "whites".

velvet
03-09--2006, 06:40 PM
Y'know, all this talk of having to go there to understand... I've known white south africans who talk about black people like they're the shit on their shoe. I'm not really sure that's the kinda understanding I want.

's not what's meant here. It's just very easy to say 'no no you should see black and whites as the same, without prejudice' when you had so many experiences that'll make you think twice about the whole situation. I haven't lived in South Africa but I've seen a few documentaries about it and hey.. we Dutchies 'invented' Apartheid.. :harhar:

But seriously.. I thought EXACTLY the way you did untill I started living in a black neighbourhood with a non-native boyfriend and having out with African immigrants. It changes you. Not in the terms that I've become prejudice, but that I've become far less politically correct about words (for the simple reason that really no one cares about it or gets offended by it here) and that I did have some bad experiences with certain groups of people. I'm well aware that my negative experiences are due to the fact that I'm a young 'rich' girl and they were young guy 'poor' guys with a wartrauma and not much of a future here.. but because they all happend to be black it does make you a bit more cautious. I still feel it's more culturaly related though. Same with the corrupt SA priest I was referring to.. the guys weren't shocked about that.. they said "that's normal in Africa, black people are like that".. go figure.. black people saying that corruption is normal in their native land and amongst black people!

Again.. in an ideal world we should all be the same and treated as such.. but we're not and it's damn hard to break that circle.

Bee Sew Glad
03-09--2006, 06:41 PM
And the greatest respect you can give 'em is to treat 'em as individuals and not "blacks" or "whites". ...:thumbup: thats right .... :)

Atomik
03-09--2006, 06:51 PM
's not what's meant here. It's just very easy to say 'no no you should see black and whites as the same, without prejudice' when you had so many experiences that'll make you think twice about the whole situation.Sure. But that just means that you're being prejudiced! If you prejudge people based on the colour of their skin.

But seriously.. I thought EXACTLY the way you did untill I started living in a black neighbourhood with a non-native boyfriend and having out with African immigrants. It changes you.I grew up in one of the most multi-racial parts of Britain. I'm not unaware of the issues. ;)

Not in the terms that I've become prejudice, but that I've become far less politically correct about wordsI don't believe in being "politically correct", but I do believe our use of language affects how we see things and can reinforce negative ideas. It can also reveal our prejudices, sometimes when we don't even know we have them.

Again.. in an ideal world we should all be the same and treated as such.. but we're not and it's damn hard to break that circle.Quite. But we have to start somewhere, eh? :D

velvet
03-09--2006, 06:54 PM
I don't believe in being "politically correct", but I do believe our use of language affects how we see things and can reinforce negative ideas. It can also reveal our prejudices, sometimes when we don't even know we have them.

Just wondering.. when you're talking to black people and they refer to blacks as 'us' and whites as 'them'.. do you confront them about it as well?

Coyote
03-09--2006, 07:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with referring to people as black or white. The problem only arises when we say "black people think like this" or "white people think like this". All ya need to do is qualify it with "some" or "a lot of" or "most poor".... just to make sure that we're not classing an entire people together because of their skin.

Except if what it means is "most black people tend to think like this" but folks leave the words out because that goes without saying, unless you take folks utterly literally....

Atomik
03-09--2006, 07:09 PM
Except if what it means is "most black people tend to think like this" but folks leave the words out because that goes without saying, unless you take folks utterly literally....When you're talking about a country where racism and prejudice are endemic and where the black people have been the victims of segregation and apartheid, I think it's kinda reasonable to expect folks to be fairly specific about what they mean.

Dibdabs
03-09--2006, 07:10 PM
Like i said you really have to expeirence it to understand it..its such a shame! AAAh so youve been to Durban..beautiful beaches hey?! I spent a lot of my life there...glad youre okay..my friends car was jumped on by 4 zulu men at a traffic light..she pulled off to get them off but was shot and killed...left behind a little boy of 5..no dad..very sad..there are millions of stories and everyone has one to tell..or a few!Weve just lost that many friends that we decided to move out to at least try to protect our children.And sleeping with a gun under a pillow is no laughing matter..especially when theres a crawling baby sleeping in your bed who wakes up earlier than you, and youve moved off the pillow slightly...

Yeah south africa is both one of the most beautiful and most fucked up placed I've ever been. My grandma and grandad live in a rural black part of south africa.. She has a house there and a little closed off area with a big electric gate..In the area there are several zulu families living there..she has supported these families through providing them with jobs and paying for childrens education. Whilst she was away the area was broken into and the zulu children were raped by zulu men. Its not always a case of a preportion of blacks against whites..or a preportion of whites against blacks. There are a lot of terrified and very messed up people in south africa

velvet
03-09--2006, 07:11 PM
When you're talking about a country where racism and prejudice are endemic and where the black people have been the victims of segregation and apartheid, I think it's kinda reasonable to expect folks to be fairly specific about what they mean.

point is.. there are black leaders now.. whites have to defend themselves, are being dragged out of their cars, killed in their houses.. can't keep blaming things on Apartheid..

Coyote
03-09--2006, 07:13 PM
When you're talking about a country where racism and prejudice are endemic and where the black people have been the victims of segregation and apartheid, I think it's kinda reasonable to expect folks to be fairly specific about what they mean.
Not really; thats unifiying folks together and expecting them all to be racist instead of treating them as individuals....if the essence behind what is bad about racism is grouping folks together rather than treating them as individual persons then assuming racist intent from one country member, because racism is endemic in their country, is drawing on the same bad essence.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 07:14 PM
point is.. there are black leaders now.. whites have to defend themselves, are being dragged out of their cars, killed in their houses.. can't keep blaming things on Apartheid..Except that I didn't. You're the one who seems to be insisting on turning this into a "them and us" debate. I didn't say white people were evil or black people were saints... I said you can't generalise. I didn't say apartheid puts black people beyond criticism... I said it's a good reason to expect people to be fairly specific about what they're talking about.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 07:20 PM
Not really; thats unifiying folks together and expecting them all to be racist instead of treating them as individualsNo it's not. It's expecting them to be clear about what they mean when discussing a volatile and emotive subject.

....if the essence behind what is bad about racism is grouping folks together rather than treating them as individual persons then assuming racist intent from one country member, because racism is endemic in their country, is drawing on the same bad essence.Not at all. If I was making assumptions, I wouldn't be having a discussion.

Atomik
03-09--2006, 07:31 PM
Just wondering.. when you're talking to black people and they refer to blacks as 'us' and whites as 'them'.. do you confront them about it as well?Yes, if a black person was to make such a generalisation on this board, I would pull them up in exactly the same way. Racism sucks, wherever it comes from.

Dapablo
03-09--2006, 10:53 PM
Zipp e dee doo dah, Zipp e dee ay

I also get uncomfortable with the dutch refering to "Them blacks", there are very recent examples of peoples of that extraction behaving in an abhorrent manner to peoples of dark skin. I would imagine any residents or their kin would be very respectful in the way the talk peoples they've abused for the last few hundred years.

Most fair minded peoples in the UK would not use the term "Blacks" in such an offhand way.

So things are going a bit awry for the previous ruling class, surprise, surprise.

Apparently Newquay can look a bit like South Africa in the summer time, check it out.

velvet
04-09--2006, 01:07 AM
I also get uncomfortable with the dutch refering to "Them blacks"

Excuse me?