PDA

View Full Version : World News Afghanistan

Dapablo
13-09--2006, 11:59 PM
Not much about this being said but one thing seemed slightly surreal whilst watching the news tonight.

Are we fighting the same people that we were, only a few years ago, cheering making a mess of a Russian invasion ?

Figures for the size of the russian forces to compare would be interesting.

Golaf
14-09--2006, 08:04 AM
its like a big game of chess and we are merely pawns in the game

Atomik
14-09--2006, 10:35 AM
Britain and the US appeal to NATO members for more troops...

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2006/09/14/bell1.jpg

Stealste
18-09--2006, 08:20 AM
Lol, that's a good cartoon... Aptly fits my feelings about the situation :S

But yeah, i'd never thought of the fact that they'd managed to resist the Russians, yet we are seeming to struggle even finding the Taliban, let alone beating them. I've heard they've actually reclaimed parts of Afghanistan? It seems a little rediculous... The U.S. and Coalition forces make a mess of things down there, then rely on NATO to sort it all out. Clever.

sensamelia
18-09--2006, 09:41 AM
i just found this site with some good reading scroll down past the links to suggested books on afghanistan
http://www.aopnews.com/today.html

matthew
18-09--2006, 04:31 PM
Britain and the US appeal to NATO members for more troops...

Steve Bell is insulting.

Atomik
18-09--2006, 04:32 PM
Steve Bell is insulting.I know! It's great, innit? :D

matthew
18-09--2006, 04:37 PM
I know! It's great, innit? :D

I used to think he was 'apt' and 'on the mark'.. but over the last year he [imho] just descends into being insulting. I like the chap who takes his place when Steve is 'on holiday'. To be honest ..i've grown tired of 'satirical' humour though.. so attempts at it like that, just offend me.

Atomik
18-09--2006, 04:40 PM
I think the world needs offensive comedians. Better than having sacred cows.

matthew
18-09--2006, 04:46 PM
I think the world needs offensive comedians. Better than having sacred cows.

It would be nice if he toned his offensiveness down a notch or two.. meh i suppose if i wanted a more positive spin on this type of issue.. i'd be reading the Sun. :o