PDA

View Full Version : Be honest

Claerie
28-10--2005, 01:21 AM
I've been veggie for erm, 15 years... and vegan for 1 year

Have you ever strayed off your chosen diet?

This ain't a "who is the best vegan/ veggie" thread here...just be honest... no judgements :)

Most of us were omni's for years before making a conscious decsision to change our diet.. it's not a bad thing to like the taste of meat or dairy... it's the way we're brought up for the main part

It's great that so many people have chosen to take meat and / or dairy out of their diet...even if it's just cutting down

Many people don't crave meat or dairy, but many do... I know I find it hard sometimes and I have very strong views on animal rights

What are your weak points, and how do you overcome them for the sake of your ethics? Forget what you should do if you were perfect! How do you personally be the best you can... respecting animals wise?

Thanks Cxx

Joel
28-10--2005, 01:38 AM
i've been vegi for around 7 years now

and i've strayed once last year, but i was hiddeously drunk, so i guess thats the excuse

im kinda glad that i did it tho, because it really reminded me how i didnt like the taste of meat.

zig zag
28-10--2005, 05:19 AM
I've been vegetarian for nearly 11 years now and I can honestly say I've never strayed once when it comes to meat. I haven't missed it at all.

But I have been known to look longingly at prawns, mostly in the first few years I went veggie. But nowdays just the smell of seafood alone turns my stomach a bit.

Atomik
28-10--2005, 10:37 AM
I've never strayed once since the day I wnet veggie 17 years ago. I'd love to think that was the result of my incredible will power and dedication, but really I'm just lucky coz I've never had any cravings!

uma
28-10--2005, 11:00 AM
I became vege when i was 3 so almost 18 years ago, i did however still eat fish as i was growing up-theres some choices parents won't let you make at that age!- but cut that out when i was about 14. I remember being in about primary 3 and having a food day in class, there was some garlic sausage that smelled so good and i had a tiny taste of it when no one was looking-i felt guilty for weeks afterwards.......:plod::
I became vegan about 3-4 months ago.
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

Atomik
28-10--2005, 12:30 PM
I became vege when i was 3 so almost 18 years ago, i did however still eat fishThen you weren't a vegetarian. You were a pescatarian. :flame:

Chegzy
28-10--2005, 01:18 PM

This ain't a "who is the best vegan/ veggie" thread here...just be honest... no judgements :)

Most of us were omni's for years before making a conscious decsision to change our diet.. it's not a bad thing to like the taste of meat or dairy... it's the way we're brought up for the main part

It's great that so many people have chosen to take meat and / or dairy out of their diet...even if it's just cutting down

Many people don't crave meat or dairy, but many do... I know I find it hard sometimes and I have very strong views on animal rights

What are your weak points, and how do you overcome them for the sake of your ethics? Forget what you should do if you were perfect! How do you personally be the best you can... respecting animals wise?

Thanks Cxx
Ive only been veggie for about a year and a half, although i was for about 4 years when i was younger but also had an eating disorder so was force fed to get my protien up and when youre that young you dont have a choice.
MY weak pint is still the evil donna kebab on a thursday night after college, havnt had one in ages but i sometimes would reeeeeeally like one, so i remind myself of the poor animal spinning on the stick (pointless telling myself how bad it is for me, thats why i want it)
In the past year ive had a few slip ups when going out for meals etc but tis a lot easier if you pre choose where youre goung to eat so that way you know theres a veggie choice.
Its much easier for me now and i dont want meat its just something you have to get used to.
For me its not just the killing the animal or the shitty life its had, ive got to the pint where i think that eating somethings flesh is disgusting.

stardust
28-10--2005, 04:10 PM
i went veggie when i was 14, (12 years) and i have strayed once.

as a teenager i had glandular fever really badly, and at 16 i dropped to 4 and a half stone (through illness, not eating disorder). my mum nagged me for long anough that i needed to eat meat to be well that i gave in coz i was willing to do anything to not feel ill. i went out and got some completely free range meat that had the freedom food mark on it. i ate a steak and kidney pie and a few bites of chicken before i decided i'd rather be ill than feel as guilty as i did when i was eating that food.

aside from that i've not purpously strayed, though a mate gave me a spring roll a few years ago. she'd asked for a veggie one, but there'd been a mix up and i only discovered it when i pulled a piece of pork out of my mouth. i didn't feel guilty about that though coz it was a genuine accident.

peace and love
stardust
xxx

random_spontaneosity
28-10--2005, 06:23 PM
ive been veggie for about 3 years. i once ate some tuna but that was coz mum made a tuna pasta bake and its so lovely and her and my sister werent going to eat it all and were going to chuck it out, so i ate it. oh and the first christmas after i went veggie i ate a sausage roll, you know one of those really nice little ones that you cook in the oven and puff up kiknda and are just heavenly. one of them, buti felt so sick and guilty after that i havent touched meat since... im too scared of makingmy self sick, stupid i know, but id have to introduce it slowly back into my diet if i went back.

and nowim weening myself off of dairy. kinda. im drinkingless milk,eating less eggs, trying to cut down my cheese intake but thats goingto be the hardest. i broiught some more soya milk the other day, gona give it another go, its different to the last lot i had. i dont eat much buttter, only on toasties, but mum gave me one of the brush things we have lying around in the kitchen so i might use oil instead, then again youneed cheese for toasties,... woah

Atomik
28-10--2005, 07:19 PM
i ate a sausage roll, you know one of those really nice little ones that you cook in the oven and puff up kiknda and are just heavenly. You tried the Linda McCartney ones? They're fuckin' gorgeous, god rest her soul :badger:

showmet
28-10--2005, 08:35 PM
You tried the Linda McCartney ones? They're fuckin' gorgeous, god rest her soul :badger:

Yep, you took the words right out of my ... keyboard.

She couldn't sing for toffee, bless, but she tastes rather nice. Frankly I'm amazed they've managed to string her remains out for so long ... surely we're onto toenails and gristle by now?:wiggle:

Earth Fairy
28-10--2005, 08:38 PM
Yeah I became Veggie when I was 11 then strayed when I was about 21. I'll never do it again though!

Atomik
28-10--2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah I became Veggie when I was 11 then strayed when I was about 21. I'll never do it again though!What made you stray?

TREASON
28-10--2005, 08:49 PM
then again youneed cheese for toasties,... woah

try cheezly melting vegan cheese, most vegan cheese is rancid horible stuff, but this new stuff is pretty good, honest. and it makes mean cheese toastys. deffo worth a try.

Northern Princess
28-10--2005, 10:01 PM
I have to admit that tho I class myself as a vegetarian (16years), I actually only don't eat meat (fish is meat) I have over the years ate jelly and jelly sweets etc all of which contain pork or beef gelatine, I am now no longer eating anything with Gelatine in but I find this the hardest thing to give up, Vegetarian sweets (cola bottles) are so expensive compared to gelatine ones :vomit:

ps I hate Linda MaCartneys food, its just like meat and I hate Meat

Atomik
28-10--2005, 11:00 PM
ps I hate Linda MaCartneys food, its just like meat and I hate MeatDoesn't taste anything like meat, imho.

Dready Warrior
28-10--2005, 11:20 PM
been veggi for exactly a year on tuesday (was veggi for a while when a teen) ate fish twice since but fish was my real love food wise. i dont really crave it though, not liked i craved a smoke when i gave up!

just read this http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/oceans/supermarkets/recipe_for_disaster.cfm and although i knew some of this info it has brought home to me how serious this issue is. i buy my son fish so it seems it's off to M+S from now on!

Northern Princess
29-10--2005, 08:18 AM
Doesn't taste anything like meat, imho.

Its pretending to be meat, had the texture of meat, tho it might have changed, its about 12 years since I ate anything of hers. I just remember going to a friends and they gave me a Linda McCartney lasagne, I could hardly eat it, looked too much like meat for me, never again.

Atomik
29-10--2005, 10:37 AM
Its pretending to be meat, had the texture of meat, tho it might have changed, its about 12 years since I ate anything of hers. I just remember going to a friends and they gave me a Linda McCartney lasagne, I could hardly eat it, looked too much like meat for me, never again.It may well be pretending to be meat and look vaguely like meat, but the taste and texture is nothing like meat. Honestly, if you think it's that similar, it must be a long time since you ate meat. Meat is chewy and fatty and gristly.... nothing like the soft, melty texture of TVP (which is all the Linda Mac stuff is based on really). And anyway, even if it did taste like meat..... so what? I'm opposed to eating meat ethically, not on the grounds of taste.

Whirler
29-10--2005, 11:08 AM
its about 12 years since I ate anything of hers. I think it's improved a lot over the years and worth a try if you just want fast food, but like Dok says, it's not meat.

My slip up was 10 years ago, (mentioned somewhere else in the V forum)I was working very very early in the morning without breakfast and was serving up full-on meat breakies, I was so hungry that I had a bacon sandwich, it was disgusting! Well, I had 2 bites I couldn't finish it, it was so chewy and salty and just altogether grim. At least I know I'll never do that again!

My other meat incident was not long after I moved to Glastonbury. I'd been working in a veggie cafe and got to know all these people who were regulars, they invited me to a party and when I arrived there was a huge spread of food, so I started to have a munch, took a couple of bites out ot the nice looking veggie hotdogs and then spotted a plate of ham. I realised that I was eating a meat hotdog. Bloody great. I'd just assumed that everyone was veggie! How naive of me.........

Atomik
29-10--2005, 11:34 AM
I was so hungry that I had a bacon sandwich, it was disgusting!That's actually quite a good example of how the 'fake meat' products really have little in common with the thing they're trying to imitate. The look and smell of real bacon I find pretty disgusting, and I have no desire to eat it. But fake bacon products I really enjoy. I mean maybe it's because I know it's just flavoured soya, but I don't think there's really any similarity.

Earth Fairy
29-10--2005, 11:50 AM
What made you stray?

Because I hadn't really learnt how to cook and I was getting annoyed about the lack of veggie ready meals! How bad is that. Anyway I hated eating meat and the experience made me realise I needed to get off my behind and learn how to cook for myself!

Atomik
29-10--2005, 11:54 AM
Anyway I hated eating meat and the experience made me realise I needed to get off my behind and learn how to cook for myself!I guess I was pretty lucky. When I went veggie, there were hardly any veggie ready meals available (Linda McCartney was still a distant dream!) so I learned to cook for myself pretty quickly. And now that you can get loads of veggie ready meals, I enjoy cooking too much to use 'em! :wall:

Earth Fairy
29-10--2005, 12:11 PM
I guess I was pretty lucky. When I went veggie, there were hardly any veggie ready meals available (Linda McCartney was still a distant dream!) so I learned to cook for myself pretty quickly. And now that you can get loads of veggie ready meals, I enjoy cooking too much to use 'em! :wall:

Yeah I love cooking new, and Linda McCartney stuff is loaded with fat so I try and avoid it! (but the Sausage rolls are great!)

Atomik
29-10--2005, 12:15 PM
Y'know, I think I feel a new thread coming on! :grin:

Northern Princess
29-10--2005, 06:38 PM
Well I don't like the taste of meat, have never had a bacon sandwich in my life and the thought of eating one is totally alien to me, as I said before its just the gelatine in products that has gotten me over the years but I am trying. In italy recently I bought a loaf of packaged sliced bread, to make butties on the beach, to discover it had animal fat in it :barf:

Whirler
29-10--2005, 06:49 PM
What a bizarre thing to find animal fat in!

When I first went veggie I used to read labels religously, I'm a pro at label scanning! It helps loads that these days most company's label their stuff as veggie, but if I'm dubious I'll still check. Weirdly, I like reading labels........:scared:

stardust
01-11--2005, 10:16 AM
i was happily munching my way through a choc chip cookie earlier this year, then started reading the label out of boredom.

i discovered the cookie had fish oil in it and stopped eating it.

does anyone else think chocolate and fish is a weird combination??

peace and love
stardust
xxx

Atomik
01-11--2005, 10:17 AM
I've seen animal ingredients in some pretty strange things, but that's about as fucked up as it gets. :vomit:

Flibbertigibbet
01-11--2005, 10:54 PM
apparently there is fish oil in orange fanta drink yuk

anyway to original question i have been veggie for about 28 years and lived a vegan lifestyle for the past 4 and have never eaten anything I should not have deliberately and if i did unitentionally I am not aware of it ....I dont mind vegan or veggie products that taste like meat as I love the taste of meat any way and even tho I am vegan i wish I could stroll around Asda or such like and eat all those meat things......I love the taste of meat but not the fact I am eating a once living thing.....

Firinne
01-11--2005, 11:32 PM
I've only been veggie a few months, slipped up on a visit to my favourite Chinese in London when I was very drunk after a bit of an upsetting weekend and ordered duck a few weeks back... felt terrible afterwards and not touched meat since, doubt I will again either.

Milo
01-11--2005, 11:58 PM
Fifth generation vegetarian, me and nearly a vegan, (which is probably just as annoying a thing to say to real vegans as it is for veggies when animal-eaters say that they're nearly veggie. If so, sorry).

Atomik
02-11--2005, 10:23 AM
Fifth generation vegetarian, me and nearly a vegan, (which is probably just as annoying a thing to say to real vegans as it is for veggies when animal-eaters say that they're nearly veggie. If so, sorry).Don't see why it should be. I don't mind ominvores saying they're 'nearly vegetarian' if it's something they're aiming for. It's when they eat fish and claim to be vegetarian that it bugs me :wall:

Anusha
02-11--2005, 10:34 AM
:vomit:

ps I hate Linda MaCartneys food, its just like meat and I hate Meat

I'm with you on this one.... Linda MaCartney stuff is ok if youre a meat eater and want to go veggie.... but it sure looks like meat to me...as for taste and texture?....i cant really comment on that...i was so young when my parents let me go veggie that i dont remember what it tastes like.... it wasnt a concious decision....

I did once go to dinner at a friends and she prepared a great veggie dish... i was so ill an hour after eating... stomach cramps and nausea... she had used meat juices in the sauce thinking it would make it tastier and i wouldnt know... seems my stomach did..!!!

Anusha
02-11--2005, 10:44 AM
Don't see why it should be. I don't mind ominvores saying they're 'nearly vegetarian' if it's something they're aiming for. It's when they eat fish and claim to be vegetarian that it bugs me :wall:

I'll go along with that.... how can anyone think fish isnt meat?

and dont you ever think it strange when you go into a cafe for something to eat and at the counter ask what veggie food they have and they hit you with fish or eggs.?? they must get some really odd veggies eating there... and once when i was starving at a bootsale and asked for a bean burger they just moved the cooked meat burgers out of the way and griddled it in the same fat.!!! they were actualy annoyed after they had cooked it and i said thanks but no thanks...

Atomik
02-11--2005, 10:45 AM
and dont you ever think it strange when you go into a cafe for something to eat and at the counter ask what veggie food they have and they hit you with fish or eggs.??Ummm..... eggs were considered veggie, last time I checked?

Anusha
02-11--2005, 01:25 PM
Ummm..... eggs were considered veggie, last time I checked?

they are?..... oops...well maybe its just the thought of what they are and where they fall out from that turns my stomach....

Atomik
02-11--2005, 01:27 PM
Semolina turns my stomach. Doesn't mean it's not veggie :harhar:

Anusha
02-11--2005, 01:34 PM
Semolina turns my stomach. Doesn't mean it's not veggie :harhar:

ooh yep...semolina is gross.... hang on...you being sarcastic again....:rolleyes: :whack: :whistle:

stormypagan
02-11--2005, 04:23 PM
Never knowingly eaten meat since being veggie but have been caught out on the very odd occassion by dairy products from when something that was vegan goes back to being veggie, and that happens a lot ( I mean ingrediants changing not me being caught out). Mistakes happen and I won't feel bad about them as they are honest mistakes!! But I do feel bad about a few years ago when I was having a sort of break down, and didn't care to much about anything (as is the nature of depression sometimes when you don't care about yourself let alone anything else), I tried a bit of cheese and a chocolate sweet again but I didn't like them, as they were tooooo rich and I yes felt awful about it, so it was enough for me to realise I am happy where I am at being vegan :) even if I was a depressed one at the time.

Claerie
02-11--2005, 11:40 PM
apparently there is fish oil in orange fanta drink yuk

nooo... really?? *disgusted and horrorred look*... eek I've drunk that shit, like a few months ago :eek:

Please tell me this is a joke I'm too tired to get :puppydog:

stormypagan
02-11--2005, 11:45 PM
Apparently it is true, well so they say on the vegan forum about animal derived products in certain drinks. I try to go by the Vegan Cruelty free shopper but even the products in there are forever changing!! Just do what you can do is all you can do!! I am sure we probably unknowingly eat/drink stuff that isn't truely vegan all the time, as I don't believe all ingredients is truely declared, although it is getting better about possibly having dairy etc in certain products written on packaging.

Milo
16-11--2005, 10:50 PM
fish oil in orange fanta drink yuk nooo... really?? *disgusted and horrorred look*... eek I've drunk that shit, like a few months ago

And it's made by Coca Cola who are a completely badass company anyway.... http://http://www.caja.org/campaigns/coke/index.htm

TREASON
19-11--2005, 11:41 AM
I've only been veggie a few months, slipped up on a visit to my favourite Chinese in London when I was very drunk after a bit of an upsetting weekend and ordered duck a few weeks back... felt terrible afterwards and not touched meat since, doubt I will again either.

there is soo many wicked all u can eat vegan chineses in london. i dunno what soya they use but its the best ive had, mock duck n all sorts, and its sooo tasty. no shit, even the biggest meat head would enjoy it.
i went to one in soho, cant wait to go to one again.

TREASON
19-11--2005, 11:43 AM
anyone ever seen garners free range pickled eggs in supermarkets???
check out the back of the label, says its sutible for vegans.

errr its a fucking egg!!!

Atomik
19-11--2005, 11:47 AM
nooo... really?? *disgusted and horrorred look*... eek I've drunk that shit, like a few months ago :eek: http://www.vegetarian-gourmet.com/fishy_fanta.html

TREASON
19-11--2005, 11:52 AM
fish has been in them drinks for yrs
its summin to do with the preservative or summin

Atomik
19-11--2005, 12:05 PM
fish has been in them drinks for yrs
its summin to do with the preservative or summin*shrug*

I don't drink that shit anyway.

TREASON
19-11--2005, 12:06 PM
narsty stuff, melts ya teeth.
i watched a mark thomas video once about coca cola, there fucking evil man, i didnt have a clue up untill them the sort of shit theyve actually done.
bad bad company.

Dapablo
21-11--2005, 01:42 PM
All Corporations are "bad", it is almost a legal obligation.

TREASON
21-11--2005, 05:41 PM
yeah i know, but i didnt realise how fucked up coke actually are, they aint opposed to a bit of murder. among loads of other shit too.

Exedous
21-11--2005, 11:34 PM

Thanks Cxx

Im using honey right now, to get rid of my cold. Part from that, since becoming *~VEGAN~* iv not strayed, {part from the honey} that is.

Ghost

dreadyfairy
26-11--2005, 05:34 PM
Iv been vegy since i was 9 but had a slip up when i was 17 and extremely drunk......i took a bite of a bacon sandwhich ahhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!ooo oo the shame and it wasnt even worth it!Oh and yeh i am funny about meat tastin vegy stuff its all a bit strange!

muchio magic x

Chegzy
29-11--2005, 02:57 PM
I think the reason they try and make the alternatives taste like meat is to show meat eaters that they dont have to eat dead animals to enjoy the lifestyle and eat the food thet theyre accustomed to, I think most alternatives like quorn are actually aimed at meat eaters rather than long term veggies

Flibbertigibbet
29-11--2005, 08:30 PM
i have to agree and disagree all in one go.....i think fake meat is all about marketing!

ecomamma
29-11--2005, 09:26 PM
Been vego for 20 years & not slipped up! :angel:
Vegan on & off since I was 13.....im not a vegan altho I dont drink milk, rarely do cream etc.. I eat the odd egg altho I hadnt for 4 years......i do the cheese thing more than I ever used too even tho sometimes I go without dairy for months!

i think if i was living in the bush I would eat meat, not sure I could do the killing tho...then again Ive never had to feed a starving child...

Fish oil in Fanta....ohhh i never knew that.....ive only ever tasted it once & spat it out :barf: those fishatarians really piss me off too...i know it shouldnt but it triggers a nerve!!! I dont see how they cant see fishes as living animals...its bizzare.....i know people love to say there a vegie these days....but do you remember when people looked at you & said
'your a what' in disbelief! i used to feel so :o cause back then we were rare & branded weirdos....:rolleyes:

Milo
13-01--2006, 02:51 AM
i have to agree and disagree all in one go.....i think fake meat is all about marketing!

But in a good cause, for once!

Exedous
13-01--2006, 04:00 AM
Yup, when i ate a tiger.....!!

Ghost

Lozi
13-01--2006, 04:44 AM
Did you really?
I'm shocked at fanta! eek. I don't drink fizzy drinks anyway, bad for ya teeth and hard to guzzle down in one go. I don't like bacon anymore, meat is being increasingly vile for me.