PDA

View Full Version : Cooking

Atomik
29-10--2005, 11:18 AM
Do you enjoy cooking veggie food, or do you see it as a chore? What about veggie ready meals? Are they something you use a lot? Are you a junk food veggie or a healthy veggie or somewhere in the middle?

Personally, I love cooking. I really, really enjoy it. Working full time though, it's a bit of a chore when I'm tired, and that's the only time I really tend to use ready meals - although to be honest, I'm more likely to get an Indian takeaway.

Do you reckon being single makes a difference? I always found being in a relationship makes me more likely to cook. When there's two of you, there's a bit more motivation to eat properly. And sharing the chores helps.

I appear to have used the word 'chore' three times (four now!). I think I'm addicted to it.

the dj
29-10--2005, 11:39 AM
I prefer cooking when others will share my efforts.

Especially when I have gone to the effort to make something totally fresh and GI friendly.

But no one tends to eat mine! Ain't because it's bad - it's because they're always already catered for.

zig zag
29-10--2005, 12:01 PM
I used to hate cooking but when I became veggie I had to put in a bit of effort otherwise I would be living off of junk. So I've grown to like it now. I'm still not very skilled but the few dishes I can do seem to be very appreciated.

I have to follow a recipe a lot of the time otherwise I become a bit flustered which irks me a bit. I wish I could be more sort of off-the-cuff and spontanious....you know just throw in what ever's around and come up with something good. But I guess as I get more experienced I'll be able to do that.

Atomik
29-10--2005, 12:09 PM
I learned to use recipes just as guidelines quite early on, but it took me a good few years before I learned to cook with just what was to hand.

Earth Fairy
29-10--2005, 03:26 PM
I do enjoy it now, a couple of years ago I didn't have a clue, but since I met and moved in with my husband I've learnt to cook from scratch instead of using ready meals. I do find that I get a bit stuck when I want to cook something new, and a lot of recipes involve Tofu which I really don't like- it reminds me too much of egg. Saying that however, I got an excellent Veggie cookbook from Woolworths for 1.99, better than any other I've seen!

Whirler
29-10--2005, 06:02 PM
I used to watch and help my mum cook when I was a wee lass and my dad cooked sometimes too. Infact, special occasions were usually marked by food so I suppose it was a major part of my consciousness at an early age. I remember in the infant school writing the old 'what did I do at the weekend' bit on a Monday and always mentioning my roast dinner (LOVED roasties with loadsa veg n gravy) so it was fairly natural to start cooking properly when I became capable.

I was quite lazy when I left home and would eat things like pasta, tinned tomatoes and cheese, stir-fry and ratatouille. But the older I've got, the happier within myself I am, the more I want to cook properly. If I was single now I really don't know if I'd bother so much - there's a responsibility almost when you're with a partner, and before my man became a cripple (:() we took it in turns to cook. I'm also a better cook since my confidence has improved (true Dok?)

I think it's really sad how life now depends so much on convenience foods - I understand why but I things it's bad in so many ways. Plus they usually taste like shite! I do like a nice mexican bean burger tho'........

Atomik
29-10--2005, 06:06 PM
I do like a nice mexican bean burger tho'........
I'd heard you were quite partial to a juicy veggie sausage :whistle:

Whirler
29-10--2005, 06:30 PM
I'd heard you were quite partial to a juicy veggie sausage :whistle:*passed Dok the soap* - that's for your MOUTH by the way......:harhar:

Atomik
29-10--2005, 06:32 PM
:loveu:

Northern Princess
29-10--2005, 06:34 PM
I'd heard you were quite partial to a juicy veggie sausage :whistle:

Hmmm... how come he's only heard?? so he doesn't know for a fact then!! ;)

Atomik
29-10--2005, 06:35 PM
Hmmm... how come he's only heard?? so he doesn't know for a fact then!! ;)It was the sound of sexual moaning :harhar:

Northern Princess
29-10--2005, 06:38 PM
LOL Good answer :carrot:

Whirler
29-10--2005, 06:43 PM
LOL Good answer :carrot:God I hate him!!!!! :mad: :D

Dready Warrior
29-10--2005, 07:09 PM
What about veggie ready meals? Are they something you use a lot? Are you a junk food veggie or a healthy veggie or somewhere in the middle?

somewhere in the middle i'd say, i buy ready made beanburgers etc and cook raw veg or do salad/pasta/rice to go with them. also usually have pizza once a week. also buy a lot of ready made sauces rather than make my own.

Personally, I love cooking. I really, really enjoy it. Working full time though, it's a bit of a chore when I'm tired, and that's the only time I really tend to use ready meals - although to be honest, I'm more likely to get an Indian takeaway.

i'm not a great fan of cooking but i think it's often because i have little time. on a sunday when i'm at home all day and cook a nice meal from scratch i do often enjoy it. it is definatly a chore after a hard days work, when i get in at 6pm and am knackered the last thing i want to do is cook. anything that can just be put in the oven for a while is good then pizza etc. yummy indian takeaway i treated myself to veg korma last night it was gorgeous!

Do you reckon being single makes a difference? I always found being in a relationship makes me more likely to cook. When there's two of you, there's a bit more motivation to eat properly. And sharing the chores helps.

although i am single i have my son, i want him to eat well and so motivate myself to cook when i'm not really in the mood to. if i was on my own i'd probably be a takeaway junkie i'm afraid :o my ideal man would love cooking and i would quite happily wash-up afterwards!

Atomik
29-10--2005, 07:18 PM
also buy a lot of ready made sauces rather than make my own.Ready-made sauces have improved a lot over the years. It's good that you can now get ones without any artificial crap in them.

yummy indian takeaway i treated myself to veg korma last night it was gorgeous!We live just around the corner from an Indian. Nothing worse than coming home at night, trying to find the enthusiasm to cook, and then catching a whiff of curry! One of the things I really miss about Liverpool is the choice of takeaways and the fact they were so damn cheap. Probably on average about a third less than comparable places in Somerset.

if i was on my own i'd probably be a takeaway junkie i'm afraid :o Me too. Although when I was last single, I was also skint. So I lived on toast :cry:

my ideal man would love cooking and i would quite happily wash-up afterwards!Having an injured ankle at the mo, my girlfriend is doing all the cooking and washing up. Despite the guilt, I have to admit, it's a bit alright :badger:

Dready Warrior
29-10--2005, 09:37 PM
We live just around the corner from an Indian. Nothing worse than coming home at night, trying to find the enthusiasm to cook, and then catching a whiff of curry!

yes and me and last night they asked me what i was up to as they don't see me much anymore (friday night was always curry night up until my huge tax bill crisis last sept) when i said i couldn't afford to come in every week anymore they said they'de look after me and knocked a quid off (not much i know but hey pretty unusual these days!)... thinking of going in later saying i have no money and am starving hehehe

PeacePiper
06-11--2005, 04:45 PM
Do you enjoy cooking veggie food, or do you see it as a chore? What about veggie ready meals? Are they something you use a lot? Are you a junk food veggie or a healthy veggie or somewhere in the middle?

Rather lazy at the moment, but I do like cooking. I'm hanging out to build my yurt at the moment then I'll be free from other people and what they're eating I should be able to learn a few good meals then instead of the nearly instant repetitive vege-meals I'm using at the mo

Dapablo
06-11--2005, 06:31 PM
Raised to help feed 4 younger siblings at school lunchtime.

I love food and cooking. My first act upon entering my current relationship was to kick my lady out of the kitchen. Over time the roles have turned more traditional, but I still enjoy cooking.

Cooking vegetarian for 1 child plus sometimes me, can be a nuisance, especially when they want to be fussy as well as vegetarian. I haven't used a book for years, open the cupboard and chuck in whatever's there.

I do buy vege sausages and burgers just to make mealtimes a little less complicated, don't buy any tin foil food though.