PDA

View Full Version : Vegans:how do you get your protein?

uma
01-11--2005, 11:48 AM
I became vegan this year and im struggling with getting enough protein in my diet. I eat tofu and seeds and nuts but not everyday. Mostly i eat veg and little carbohydrate. I have been following a gluten-free diet recently too as i suspect i may be celiac, which reduces my intake of fats and carbs a lot. I just wondered how everyone else made up for proteins and irons, and well everything in their diets so that it is balanced. Since my partner is a GP he worries about this, and id just like some more ideas.:)
In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

Atomik
01-11--2005, 12:02 PM
http://www.veganhealth.org/

:google:

stormypagan
01-11--2005, 04:17 PM
Pulses, Pulses and more Pulses, especially soya :0)

There is more protein in a tin of baked beans than a lump of meat apparently.

If anything I think as a vegan I have loads of protein.

Carbohydrates are important to aid the absorption of protein into the body.

Good luck with getting yours :0)

Flibbertigibbet
01-11--2005, 10:49 PM
Protein is foud amognst other thigns in
tofu, rice beans, wholegrains, pulses, aoya milk tahini, homous beansprouts potatoes

Milo
02-11--2005, 12:01 AM
And they're all yummy.

(Hi, Flibberty).

Dancing
02-11--2005, 01:11 AM
Protein
I wrote this list B4 I read other’s replies to you:

:Beans, pulses
nuts
Tofu
Soya milk
Vegan “cheese” made from soya

Other foods have certain amount too e,g. brown rice

I remember reading that the average (omnivore) American eats far too much protein.

You can have too much of a good thing

Why don’t you have seeds, nuts every day?
I make sure I have a protein at the main meal of the day.

As for iron, dried apricots have loads, for example.
Vit C in the same meal aids absorption, so have a glass orange juice with dinner for example.

Green leafy veg are also v good: Vit A

I eat all organic fruit and veg, e.g. iceberg lettuce and avocado available from Tesco, broccoli, celery and cauliflower from Waitrose or Tesco, spuds from ASDA or Tesco, carrots and mushrooms from ASDA, oranges, etc.
(I know it’d be good to support smaller shops, but I do my best and cannot at the moment fit in the journeys.)

Lots of books, leaflets e.g. from Vegan Society, that you can refer to.
Don’t worry too much.

But I do not know much about gluten free. Why does that reduce your fats intake? - does it have to?

(PS. GPs never used to be trained in dietician stuff – are they now?)

Sarah
02-11--2005, 09:19 AM
Uma when you have the test for coeliac - if it comes back negative but you are still struggling with wheat products.. try Spelt flour mate. I had the test for coeliac about 4 years ago and it came back negative but I have an intollerance to too much gluten and I cannot tollerate bran at all. Gutting because I love brown breads and bran-heavy foods. Cannot eat them though because have a gut reaction similar to a coeliac eating gluten - I have a cousin who is coeliac. Spelt flour is wonderful though - it is a really old fashioned wheat variety that doesn't have the same effects on the gut as modern day wheats. I'd recommend to anyone with a wheat intollerance :)

Flibbertigibbet
03-11--2005, 01:22 PM
And they're all yummy.

(Hi, Flibberty).

Hiya :D