PDA

View Full Version : Festival sunrise summer solstice celibration 2007

shorny
02-10--2006, 01:45 PM
Tickets on sale today, first 500 only 60 squids, got mine only 8 months to go heh heh.

Narrowboat Sion
02-10--2006, 01:50 PM
Maybe I'm being lazy, but is there a website you can give us a link to? Thanks me heartie!

Atomik
02-10--2006, 01:57 PM
Wouldn't take a risk, seeing as last thing I heard they were £40k in debt and loads of people still hadn't been paid from this summer. A cynical person might suspect they were selling tickets just to cover their debts. I'd like to be proved wrong though. :D

Sthenno
02-10--2006, 02:05 PM
Well, they’ll have to either honour the tickets or provide a refund, so there’s no much risk involved, except the possibility of disappointment.

Atomik
02-10--2006, 02:07 PM
Well, they’ll have to either honour the tickets or provide a refund......... unless they declare themselves bankrupt.

Sthenno
02-10--2006, 02:26 PM
True. I hope not though, I’d really like to go to this. My friends went this year and had an amazing time.

Atomik
02-10--2006, 02:32 PM
True. I hope not though, Iíd really like to go to this. My friends went this year and had an amazing time.I hope it goes ahead as as well, but they've cost themselves a lot of goodwill after the last event.

Sthenno
02-10--2006, 02:34 PM
I hope it goes ahead as as well, but they've cost themselves a lot of goodwill after the last event.

Mind if I enquire as to why? I only ask because I was tempted to go for the Ďearly birdí offer, but donít want to if thereís a situation Iím unaware of.

Atomik
02-10--2006, 02:37 PM
Mind if I enquire as to why? I only ask because I was tempted to go for the Ďearly birdí offer, but donít want to if thereís a situation Iím unaware of.A lot of staff went upaid. Bands were turned away because they couldn't be paid. Punters were disappointed coz the bands they'd paid to see weren't playing. The organisation was generally atrocious.

Having said that, it was still an enjoyable festie, and if they don't pull a fast one, then there's a chance they'll learn their lesson and avoid pissing people off this time. Although on the negative side, if their cafe is anything to go by that was at Workhouse festival.......

Sthenno
02-10--2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I did wonder looking at last year’s how they were going to break even charging such low prices for a festival so long. Let’s hope it’s all sorted out for this year, anyway!

melyn
02-10--2006, 03:27 PM
True. I hope not though, Iíd really like to go to this. My friends went this year and had an amazing time.

You could always try and get in as crew, I hear they didn't have enough last year :whistle:

Atomik
02-10--2006, 03:31 PM
You could always try and get in as crew, I hear they didn't have enough last year :whistle::madlol:

sensamelia
02-10--2006, 04:07 PM
we were tempted to get the early bird tickets give me something to work towards with the aggy an all that but having heard wot a few mates have been saying we decided against it and id be very careful if i were you lot

Sthenno
02-10--2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I think I'll just wait and see how it pans out. To be fair, I don't have any objection to paying full price for an event that long anway.

PlutoPete
02-10--2006, 06:50 PM
i find it even more worrying after seeing their website, they want people to invest in them!
http://www.familygathering.co.uk/index.html
i had a wicked time last year so i hope it works out but I'll wait and see

Atomik
02-10--2006, 09:46 PM
i find it even more worrying after seeing their website, they want people to invest in them!
http://www.familygathering.co.uk/index.html
i had a wicked time last year so i hope it works out but I'll wait and seeI can't believe they're trying to seel programs for last summer's event. :eek:

spacekitty
02-10--2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah me too, was gonna get my tickets then read a few things, may wait a whilst

roll on existence anyways :)

Sarah
03-10--2006, 10:02 AM
You could always try and get in as crew, I hear they didn't have enough last year :whistle: :lol:

CosmoNaughty
03-10--2006, 03:26 PM
Last years sunrise celebration was a great event but it was a bit of a fuck up. But everyone who attended had a fantastic time, atmosphere wise it was the nearest to the free festivals of old I'd enountered for a long time.

starcatkel
03-10--2006, 03:30 PM
we loved it! :D

Little Mouse
03-10--2006, 05:39 PM
Sounds great, the plan 4next year for me and a few others (incl BGG_Owen) is 2get a van or summat between us and go touring the festys working as crew ... we worked at bestival this year and had a pretty gd time so if people recommend sunrise we might add that 2the list :D

stardust
03-10--2006, 07:49 PM
A lot of staff went upaid. Bands were turned away because they couldn't be paid. Punters were disappointed coz the bands they'd paid to see weren't playing.

not entirely true. bands weren't turned away, the were warned there was a posibility they wouldn't be paid and those who were in it for the love of the fans and the festies turned up anyway but some of the bands that were more into the money pulled out incase they weren't getting paid.

staff are still getting paid slowly and there pretty much on the verge of being out the shit. i got an email recently but i can't remember what most of it says. they're getting shareholders etc in i believe so should be more financial security next year.

The organisation was generally atrocious.

no argument there!!

Having said that, it was still an enjoyable festie, and if they don't pull a fast one, then there's a chance they'll learn their lesson and avoid pissing people off this time. Although on the negative side, if their cafe is anything to go by that was at Workhouse festival.......

i enjoyed it loads and would recomend it. i was there for about a month and loved it. i met so many amazing people that for me it was totally worth it. having said that, i am still on the waiting to be paid list, but would probably go again anyway and just be in the mindset that if i get paid it will be nice but not really to bothered.

Atomik
03-10--2006, 08:42 PM
not entirely true. bands weren't turned away, the were warned there was a posibility they wouldn't be paid and those who were in it for the love of the fans and the festies turned up anyway but some of the bands that were more into the money pulled out incase they weren't getting paid.Same difference. And I don't think that's a particularly fare comment, to be honest. Bands have to make a living like the rest of us. I can totally understand why they'd be pissed off and not play if a bunch of hippy fuckwits had let 'em down.

staff are still getting paid slowly and there pretty much on the verge of being out the shit. i got an email recently but i can't remember what most of it says. they're getting shareholders etc in i believe so should be more financial security next year.It'd be nice to be certain that they were on track for next year. The festival has a lot of potential if they learn their lessons properly.

Confuscari
03-10--2006, 08:45 PM
Same difference. And I don't think that's a particularly fare comment, to be honest. Bands have to make a living like the rest of us. I can totally understand why they'd be pissed off and not play if a bunch of hippy fuckwits had let 'em down.

Its still £80 in terms of free entry...

I paid my money. All my mates blagged it in as crew and got to see eat static in the crew bar, wheras i saw a crap 15minute set on the mainstage. I think the crew situation is the main one that needs addressing.

:whistle:

Atomik
03-10--2006, 08:52 PM
Its still £80 in terms of free entry...Doesn't exactly pay the mortgage, does it? They ain't got day jobs to go back to, remember. This is what they do for a living. I just don't get why people seem to resent musicians making money!

stardust
03-10--2006, 08:59 PM
yeah ok, i was a bit harsh. mostly i was just impressed by the attitudes of some of the bands i saw who definately knew they weren't getting paid but wanted to play anyway.

Confuscari
03-10--2006, 09:11 PM
Doesn't exactly pay the mortgage, does it? They ain't got day jobs to go back to, remember. This is what they do for a living. I just don't get why people seem to resent musicians making money!

They did SAVE money though. You make it sound worse than it is. You COULD say, whatever happened to the love of the music?

x x x x

Atomik
03-10--2006, 09:15 PM
They did SAVE money though.They didn't save money. They weren't on holiday - they were working. They arrived at their place of work to be told they weren't playing.

You make it sound worse than it is. You COULD say, whatever happened to the love of the music?I love music too. Can I afford to give up my job and make music for the love of it? Can I fuck. If bands didn't make any money, they couldn't afford to live. And you wouldn't have most of the money that you love.

Confuscari
03-10--2006, 10:43 PM
They didn't save money. They weren't on holiday - they were working. They arrived at their place of work to be told they weren't playing.

I love music too. Can I afford to give up my job and make music for the love of it? Can I fuck. If bands didn't make any money, they couldn't afford to live. And you wouldn't have most of the money that you love.
I don't think its that black and white...

Yeah but if a band decides to try and make a living entirely out of music, then that isn't the festivals fault - personally i would rather get in for free and play a 45minute set and some publicity and new fans than get in for free and have to work 3+ 6hour shifts....

Maybe i'm biased because all the people in bands i knew that played just went to the festival and had a wicked time getting pissed and enjoying what was a really fun festival and didn't seem to care too much about the money... they were on holiday... though saying that some of them are still moody and waiting to be paid. Swings and roundabouts innit....

Atomik
03-10--2006, 10:49 PM
I don't think its that black and white...Of course it isn't. Doesn't mean you should expect band to play for free though.

Yeah but if a band decides to try and make a living entirely out of music, then that isn't the festivals fault - personally i would rather get in for free and play a 45minute set and some publicity and new fans than get in for free and have to work 3+ 6hour shifts....But you're talking about bands who potentially have crew to pay, fuel costs to meet, food costs, lost revenue from other events they could've played.... I mean it'd be different if we were talking about some unforseen disaster here, but we're talking about a bunch of fuckwit hippies who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Why should bands pay for their mistakes? And more importantly, why should bands send out the message that it doesn't matter whether they're paid or not, coz they'll play anyway? Plenty of bands I wanted to see pulled out of Sunrise, and I blame the cunts that 'organised' it, not the musicians who have a living to make.

Confuscari
03-10--2006, 11:06 PM
Of course it isn't. Doesn't mean you should expect band to play for free though.

I don't blame the musicians - and i don't "expect" it at all!

I'm merely pointing out that its not the end of the world. Though selling tickets before you have paid last years artists does take the piss a little.

Cari x

Atomik
03-10--2006, 11:09 PM
I don't blame the musicians - and i don't "expect" it at all!Never said ya did. I'm talking generally, not personally.

I'm merely pointing out that its not the end of the world.Never said it was. Simply saying why I don't think people should complain if bands chose not to play. :D

Confuscari
04-10--2006, 10:44 AM
Never said it was. Simply saying why I don't think people should complain if bands chose not to play. :D

Oh! Right! Shit. Nah, i wouldnt complain at all, its completely understandable!

x x x x x

Atomik
04-10--2006, 10:45 AM
Oh! Right! Shit. Nah, i wouldnt complain at all, its completely understandable!

x x x x x:hug:

:D

CosmoNaughty
04-10--2006, 05:26 PM
They're selling last years programmes !!! hardly anything at that festival happened when it was down in the programme.

I'm suprised that it's on for so long again. as a lot of the problems I think were caused by the thing being on for a week.

There were something like 5,000 people at last years festival and only 3,000 had paid. But as far as I saw it there weren't loads of fence jumpers in a Glastonbury style in fact the security was very tight. a lot of these extra people were people like me who could be loosly termed as crew. I was playing some chill out music in the ID Spiral area and was told from the word go that there was no money in it for me. But I was there because festivals are what I'm about and it did look like it was going to be a cool event, it doesn't take many musician/dj's (+ 1 guest *) to become a good chunk of that 2,000 extra folk over the course of a week.
* incidently I was ripped off by the meat head yokels on the door for my guest pass.