PDA

View Full Version : Festival festival security

capn
03-10--2006, 08:54 AM
does anyone know what security are allowed to do with someone they've caught gatecrashing a festival?
do they prosecute, or hand over to police, or what?

PlutoPete
03-10--2006, 09:35 AM
they usually try to extract some entrance money. Failing that they eject you

Sthenno
03-10--2006, 10:15 AM
Depends which fest. Sometimes at Glastonbury they’ll arrest you to make an example of you. They won’t actually prosecute but you might get banged up for a night.

sunflower
03-10--2006, 01:34 PM
some arrest some walk you of site.
if ive ever had to evict a gate crasher thay genouraly get frog marched of site and told to stay away with a raidio message sent to all gates/enrances with a description of sied gate crasher

Sthenno
03-10--2006, 02:32 PM
Why…. Which festie are you breaking into?
:reddevil:

Exedous
03-10--2006, 03:01 PM
I dont like or TRUST site security.

Ever heard of "Rock Steady" security. *shudder*

stardust
03-10--2006, 07:54 PM
so long as gatecrashing is all you're doing you'll just get your description radioed round the site and get ejected.

if you're thieving/dealing/molesting young girls etc you would probably not want to bump into a security guard in a dark corner on your own!!

sunflower
03-10--2006, 11:42 PM
if you're thieving/dealing/molesting young girls etc you would probably not want to bump into a security guard in a dark corner on your own!![/quote]

very true as a 11 year standind festival secerty steward i wouldent stand for that ok a bit of weed to poeple old anuff to no better pass the eye but not thieveng or molasting

allan
06-10--2006, 12:00 PM
security firms to watch out for are.....................

TKO security
and..........
SHADDOW security

a good security firm is celtic warriors MCC

Bullit
07-10--2006, 07:34 PM
yeah dont try anything when STEWERT security are about either, or they might do what they did to my sister.. push her to the ground, give her massive bruising then chase her for a few miles until she had the courage to knock on someones door and ask to be let in..

sunflower
07-10--2006, 08:14 PM
these hired securaty firms i dont faver there no there for the festival forsa there hired monkeys.
did anyone have run ins with the secarity team at bgg ?? i tell ya wot a load of power hungerys

Mr Iceman
31-10--2006, 09:21 PM
When i had my motorbike i used to go to the main bike fest in kent. this is run by the hells angels and so is security, even the police stay away

Beserker
10-12--2006, 04:08 PM
I think if said 'crasher' really has no money then let them in for free cos evicting them would be very mean and selfish considering that all of these paying Festivals evolved from the struggle of Free Festival goers anyway!Any other course of action would just be 'Bad Karma Man!'

Chazz
10-12--2006, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't work in general...

I've been impressed by the solution of having ordinary festival attendees/workers providing most of the security, with some professionals on site to deal with the more akward situations, but of course under the watchful eyes of the organisers.

jenni
10-12--2006, 05:13 PM
I dont agree events should have paid security firms, pay the people & have a head steward you can trust, these firms can be totally shit...they dont know the scene or have the understanding of festivals at all...blaggers you make work (in the shit pits):reddevil: simple...:D

Oooops! (ive jenni staying) it's ECOMAMMA! time to log out...

ecomamma
10-12--2006, 05:16 PM
:rolleyes:

scothippy
10-12--2006, 06:06 PM
Dont like bouncers or security people...just dont like them.....if i ever see a hells angel, im gonna try and persuade them to let hippies in and stuff and try get them to be ...nice.
Talk to them....rocker to rocker...they wouldnt harm a tiny wee 4ft 7 scots girl would they. I'll just tell them im 7 or something.......

Chazz
10-12--2006, 06:19 PM
The Rocket Festival had festival goers for 90% of the security, but I can understand the appeal of having a small team of professional security people because if you get 4 or 5 hyped up villains on sulphate doing pilfering or robbery with violence, suddenly a good trained team can seem very appealing.

Mainly these guys were discreet and kept out of site & were even discreetly dressed.

What is a drag is if you've got uniformed security wandering around trying to look tough & 'responsible' (in charge sic)

sunflower
10-12--2006, 08:06 PM
i have 2 sides to me when im stweareding the im nice and fluffy festavil goer hows in charge just coz thay like to be and the hard side i save this for the deserved and yes i do like to use my mag light

phil
11-12--2006, 11:24 AM
Some little student lad confiscated some skunk off me (small amount for personal use) whilst backed up by security at glastonbury. I jst said well i hope i see you on your own over the weekend young man! he went white. Some of them are alright but as usual if you give a certain type of person a radio and a yellow jacket and back up they turn into an instant twat. Probably first time in their life that they got to act tough. Apparantly they are majastrated for the weekend to give them powers of arrest, drug confiscation etc. But i'm not sure about that.

Nightingale
13-12--2006, 10:29 PM
I've haven't been to ANY festivals since the free festivals circuit stopped as CANT AFFORD IT, so isn't security really just a disentive to stop people like me trying to get in for nothing? I hate the way festival organisers have been forced to put all these barriers up, to discriminate and stop people of all classes getting together, free festivals were much better as everyone learned you had to take responsibility for yourself and work together to make things work, I always felt safe at free festivals without any security,
Taking responsibility for your actions and dealing with unforeseen situations is something everyone can learn, given the chance.

joss
13-12--2006, 10:47 PM
Dont like bouncers or security people...just dont like them.....if i ever see a hells angel, im gonna try and persuade them to let hippies in and stuff and try get them to be ...nice.
Talk to them....rocker to rocker...they wouldnt harm a tiny wee 4ft 7 scots girl would they. I'll just tell them im 7 or something.......
would you like the storysI know about the Hells Angels ?
You can try to be nice to them if you want good luck and R.I.P :waves:

Anusha
13-12--2006, 10:50 PM
would you like the storysI know about the Hells Angels ?
You can try to be nice to them if you want good luck and R.I.P :waves:

being the ex wife of an HA i have a few stories too.... but as security theyre usualy pretty good... and they can be nice guys...they do loads of charity stuff under the name of the Big Red Machine :)

Nightingale
13-12--2006, 10:56 PM
I had Hells Angles come to a squat party once they were really friendly, we all took shrooms and sat around giggling they showed us how to make a lampshade out of a beer tin, well improved the ambiance.

joss
13-12--2006, 11:01 PM
being the ex wife of an HA i have a few stories too.... but as security theyre usualy pretty good... and they can be nice guys...they do loads of charity stuff under the name of the Big Red Machine :)
I've done engineering work for them and i worked with some they where ok
But I was at Storming the castle rally when they got heavy
People where getting beat up for looking at them and one was set on fire aswell as a local farm but know one saw how did it
Also a bike gang I've come across how are run by the H A set fire to a friend of mine as they thought a chopper rider should not ride Horses ?
I personly stoped being in gangs when i left school

Nightingale
13-12--2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah people in groups can get out of hand and reason goes out the window, I'm an individualist/anarchist so think people should work together without losing the prepecity for rational and individual thorght and action, I think festival security get to wrapped up in looking and acting hard, s' no ones the boss of me so I've given up going to organised events and as theres no free ones tend not to get out much!:o

Anusha
13-12--2006, 11:13 PM
I've done engineering work for them and i worked with some they where ok
But I was at Storming the castle rally when they got heavy
People where getting beat up for looking at them and one was set on fire aswell as a local farm but know one saw how did it
Also a bike gang I've come across how are run by the H A set fire to a friend of mine as they thought a chopper rider should not ride Horses ?
I personly stoped being in gangs when i left school

i agree theres a dark side to the HA and you dont want to cross them... i also agree that its the gang mentality thats a problem...when my ex got a call and started getting 'tooled up' i just used to think how pathetic it was and the day i looked at him and said a sarcastic 'dib dib dob dob' i thought he was going to kill me :eek:

joss
13-12--2006, 11:14 PM
i agree theres a dark side to the HA and you dont want to cross them... i also agree that its the gang mentality thats a problem...when my ex got a call and started getting 'tooled up' i just used to think how pathetic it was and the day i looked at him and said a sarcastic 'dib dib dob dob' i thought he was going to kill me :eek:
I think there best left alown

Anusha
13-12--2006, 11:15 PM
I think there best left alown

thats why i left him...;)

stuoolong
14-12--2006, 10:12 AM
As an organiser it's really hard to get security right. You don't want meatheads because no one likes them and you don't want fluffy hippies because they are more than often no good at dealing with security incidents. If there's a security incidfent going on that you're struggling to deal with, you're not too sure about calling the cops either, unless you're not planning to use the site again.

capn
14-12--2006, 10:45 AM
you're not too sure about calling the cops either, unless you're not planning to use the site again.
what do u mean?

stuoolong
14-12--2006, 11:29 PM
When I was doing festival organising (small event - up to 3000 hippies :hippy:) we had a tentative relationship with the cops. They were very happy with us in general - they came on site daily, during the daytime, and saw happy smiling faces - but like at any event of that size, there was trouble, and occasionally, trouble of the sort where having the cops around would have been helpful. For example, local kids starting fights with punters, people stealing cars and driving them round the site at high speeds in the dark, etc. Fortunately, our security were able to deal with those things, and others. We neglected to mention some of these things when the police came round to visit the next day.

Ringing the cops to deal with an emergency instantly changes the relationship between them and the organisers - they see the event as somewhere they have to do some work, somewhere there might be a public security/safety risk. If, as an event organiser, you have to call the cops out to deal with problems on your site that you can't deal with yourself, they will happily do the work, but are far more likely to raise objections to the event going ahead next year.

So every time there's a difficult situation, you have to weigh all this up. Can the security we have/the organisers deal with it properly? Or do we have to call in outside help and risk the future of the event?

Of course, at a larger event, where there are police on site all the time, it's a bit different, but it's still important to have security that can sort things out, for this reason and for others. If you get into a fight, for example, at a festival, would you rather get questioned by festival security and welfare, or by the cops and taken down the station?

capn
15-12--2006, 10:45 AM
thanks, stuoolong for your reply, do u know what powers festival-security can have? ie can they arrest, detain, use force, expell etc?

Sthenno
15-12--2006, 12:30 PM
When the ‘riots’ (a few stupid little emo kids who thought it was funny to set fire to things) kicked off at Download this year I saw a load of Hell’s Angels walking around putting out fires and just generally putting people in their place. I think they were ashamed at such a disgrace to the name of riot…

mooka
15-12--2006, 05:05 PM
man, when i was at glade this year we were camped right up against the gates (got there late......) and the security, not sure who they were, but rode around and around the site all day in their 4x4s lookiing for gate crashers..... not so subbtle

one night i get woken up in my tent by a maglight in my face and people pushing in my tent cuz someone had jumped over near by n they were lookin' for them.....

they did apologise though.

whatever, i suppose you need security for the mentioned rif raf who'd wanna get in just to steal/ pick fights or whatever, but frankly i hate having security visibly round the site, and loads of gates, kinda ruins the "free" atmosphere dunnit

stuoolong
15-12--2006, 07:13 PM
thanks, stuoolong for your reply, do u know what powers festival-security can have? ie can they arrest, detain, use force, expell etc?

Well that will depend on the event organisers and what they have asked the security to do. If you are holding a legal event on a site that you have hired or own, then technically they can do anything that you would be allowed to do to prevent trouble in your own house. So if someone is being violent, for example, I'm sure it would be acceptable for them to be restrained and the police called if that's what was required, though more peaceful solutions are always better. Legally, these things rely on the level of training of the security as well - to restrain someone they really ought to have a C&R certificate.

Using force...I would strongly suspect that they shouldn't use any force other than in self defence, or defence of the public at large. If someone had a knife, say, and was threatening to stab their mate, I don't think it would be unreasonable for security to beat them a little to immobilise them, if normal restraints were impossible.

If they are doing their job right, it's finding the solution that causes the least harm. The best ways to do this always involve negotiation and persuasion rather than physical force. For example, if someone is being a pain on site, you might weigh up whether to ask them to leave...but then you might decide that they will cause even more hassle in that situation.

whatever, i suppose you need security for the mentioned rif raf who'd wanna get in just to steal/ pick fights or whatever, but frankly i hate having security visibly round the site, and loads of gates, kinda ruins the "free" atmosphere dunnit

Glade is hardly free though, and as a big commercial festival (I imagine their budget is around the million pounds mark), especially one aimed at hippies who tend to be a bit short of cash, making sure enough people pay up is vital. Also, at an event that's already sold out, safety comes into it too - if the site has reached it's capacity with 9000 people or whatever, and another 5000 blag in or hop the fence, there could be massive overcrowding, not to mention mud issues!
I agree though that the large visible presence of fences and security is a bit offputting. I go to Big Green regularly and it's creeping in there more and more - 4x4s patrolling round all the time, more and more fences, etc. The only solution to this is smaller events that don't cost loads - they tend to be friendlier as well!

Exedous
15-12--2006, 07:35 PM
if you're thieving/dealing/molesting young girls etc you would probably not want to bump into a security guard in a dark corner on your own!!

I dont know, the security would proberly join you....shady lot!!

urban_ninja
04-03--2007, 01:40 PM
as anyone who was at leeds 2005 will remember, things can turn pretty nasty quickly- people burning telegraph poles, tents and the security went WAY over the top hitting random people with those plastic sheild things and batons isn't nice... and my tent got trampled :(