PDA

View Full Version : Sterilisation

Sarah
02-11--2005, 05:30 PM
I'm very seriously considering getting sterilised. I don't want another baby of my own and to be perfectly honest, the idea of suddenly finding myself pregnant at the age I am now, fills me with a sense of dread..
If it happened we'd obviously just get on with it but I really cannot be arsed with the whole baby thing again and neither myself or my fella wants another child - we got 3 between us as it is :)
SO I'm gonna go doctors soon and ask to have me tubes tied... but when I spoke to me mum about it and mentioned I was gonna get sterilised she was horribly shocked and said I shouldn't do it.. she couldn't really give me a reason beyond "ooh it would be such a shame" but I am so sure in my mind that this is what I want to do that I am gonna go ahead with my visit to the doctor and get the ball rolling...I am never going to use hormonal contraception again - it makes me ill. I am completley against the idea of the coil - I think its a disgusting and horrible way to stop yaself getting pregnant and know too many of my girlfriends who have had horrible times with a coil. I hate using condoms and don't want to have to rely on rhythm method or use anything else that is intrusive to my body.. don't want any more babies so sterilisation seems like the perfect solution ... stress-free sex :woohoo:

Any of you ladies out there been sterilised ? What should I expect from my GP? How invasive is the proceedure and will the proceedure affect my libido or my periods in anyway?

I've put this under Sex and Sexuality because.. well... its like extreme contraception isn't it :p

Dapablo
02-11--2005, 06:24 PM
You are not to old.

Sorry, but what if ?

Sarah
02-11--2005, 09:01 PM
It's not that I think I am too old mate - its that at the age of almost 32 and having done the baby thing in my mid to late 20's I am actually enjoying being a mother to a 7 year old without having to think about waking the baby or spending hours going cootchie cootchie coo.. I haven't felt broody for over 2 years and really don't want another baby ......what if what ? :confused:

Dready Warrior
02-11--2005, 10:36 PM
i dont really know much about the actual operation but i do know some women have all sorts of problems after. two women i know have had it done, one now has very painful periods that can last a few weeks and the other has had irregular periods and a cancer scare. obviously these could be unrelated but the reason you dont want to use hormones is because it is not natural for your body and so throws it out making you feel out of sorts. being sterilised is not natural either and your body may end up telling you so! as women we should be able to choose contraceptive and choose whether we want more children but we must also ask ourselves what is natural and right for our bodies as well as our minds.

i must admit even though i don't want any more children, will not take any form or hormonal contraceptive and am not keen on condoms i would not have an operation like that out of choice.

i hope you find a way that suits you that makes you happy star, my advice would be get as much information as you can and don't make any hastey decissions. i have heard (not sure if this is true) that the operation for a man to be sterilised is a lot easier and doesn't usually cause any side effects.

Atomik
02-11--2005, 11:34 PM
I've never seen the problem with condoms. They're not ideal, but compared to the alternatives they ain't all that bad at all. Never stopped me from having great sex, that's for sure! :reddevil:

Sarah
03-11--2005, 09:18 AM
i hope you find a way that suits you that makes you happy star, my advice would be get as much information as you can and don't make any hastey decissions. i have heard (not sure if this is true) that the operation for a man to be sterilised is a lot easier and doesn't usually cause any side effects.
Thanks Sam x

Sarah
03-11--2005, 09:19 AM
I've never seen the problem with condoms. They're not ideal, but compared to the alternatives they ain't all that bad at all. Never stopped me from having great sex, that's for sure! :reddevil: Hmmmmm only one thing I can say about Condoms and that is

THRUSH

hate them.

:down:

zig zag
04-11--2005, 09:35 PM
Why not talk to your partner about him having a vasectomy? It's a very simple procedure compared to sterilization for you.

My partner had it done without any complications/side-effects :thumbup:

Renegade-Ego
05-11--2005, 09:52 AM
Another vote for the big V I had it done when I was 28 & have always seen it as the better if the 2 ops. You are in & out in a flash for the vasectomy (no pun intended) but the potential after effects for a woman are countless. You are playing with some huge chemical balences.

My 2p worth.

wiggy
05-11--2005, 02:49 PM
My dad had a vactomy about 20 yrs ago and 18 years ago my mum and dad had a little boy!!!! A vactomy is a easier thing to do have done than having your tubes tied but its not 100 % - but im sure if your bloke had that done and along popped a baby that would be pure fate!!

Sarah
06-11--2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the advice peeps. It's helped me realise that being sterilised would be a really intrusive procedure and would probably mess my hormones up. I've changed me mind now and ain't gonna have it done :)

Thankyou very much for your help

Sarah xxx

Flibbertigibbet
06-11--2005, 06:20 PM
The coil does suit some people tho' :D

Dready Warrior
07-11--2005, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the advice peeps. It's helped me realise that being sterilised would be a really intrusive procedure and would probably mess my hormones up. I've changed me mind now and ain't gonna have it done :)

Thankyou very much for your help

Sarah xxx

i hope you manage to find a contraceptive that works for you both without any nasty side effects. good luck xxx

Perthite
10-11--2005, 02:41 AM
yeah, i was gonna say surely an operation is an intrusive way on preventing pregnancy:rolleyes:

but, my mum got it done and she's had no problems with it so fire away if you want. weigh up options speak with the doc etc (failing that you and the mr toss a coin ;) )

joudicaa
11-11--2005, 12:05 AM
sorry i didn't see this earlier starfly, i was sterilised 5 years ago and it was the best decision i ever made.
after multiple miscarriages and years of trying for a third baby i found out i had a tumour on my ovary so i was going to have an operation, i asked them while i was down there to block the other fallopian tube, which they did.
there are no side effects, you have periods as normal, it does not effect your hormones at all.
i must add though it is only 98% successful, same as the pil, there is a chance you can still get pregnant, which suited me as a pagan, if the great mother wants me to have another child then it's in her hands, if you get my jist.
the operation is less intrusive these days and they do it with key hole surgery, you have two tiny scars less than an inch long, a lot of my friends have had the op, and none of them have regretted it.
i do not have the articularcy to tell you the how liberating this op is to a woman.
good luck anyway.;)

Sarah
11-11--2005, 09:43 AM
sorry i didn't see this earlier starfly, i was sterilised 5 years ago and it was the best decision i ever made.
after multiple miscarriages and years of trying for a third baby i found out i had a tumour on my ovary so i was going to have an operation, i asked them while i was down there to block the other fallopian tube, which they did.
there are no side effects, you have periods as normal, it does not effect your hormones at all.
i must add though it is only 98% successful, same as the pil, there is a chance you can still get pregnant, which suited me as a pagan, if the great mother wants me to have another child then it's in her hands, if you get my jist.
the operation is less intrusive these days and they do it with key hole surgery, you have two tiny scars less than an inch long, a lot of my friends have had the op, and none of them have regretted it.
i do not have the articularcy to tell you the how liberating this op is to a woman.
good luck anyway.;)

thanks joudicaa :D
all this talk of surgery ya know... nothing can be as intrusive as the c-section I had having Charlie and that has helped to know it is done with keyhole surgery these days.
its certainly helped balance out my thoughts now which has swung from yeah its fine to no its not back to well it might be an option to seriously think about again :) thanks mate!
Love n Hugs

Sarah xxx

ecomamma
03-01--2006, 03:51 AM
starfly on not wanting anymore children...thought has crossed my mind altho i couldnt ever really do....a man having had the snip sounds really sexy to me! I cant use/wont use anything other than the cap or rthm or withdraw....not the best i know! its a case of weighing it all up....i was celibate for awhile altho I couldnt go back to that at the moment:whistle: