PDA

View Full Version : New Ideas

uma
04-11--2005, 12:38 PM
Inspired by the thread on vege cheese i thought id make a thread where we can put on ideas that we have tried and tested to stop those cravings for a dairy or meat product....

Last night I was craving tuna pasta for some reason, so instead i made pasta, egg-free mayonaise, organic sweetcorn and peppers all mixed together yum! Really hit the spot too:D (back on eating pasta again for a month till i get more blood tests done for celiac...:( )

Another good one for if you are craving cheese is stuffed vine leaves-don't ask me why but they satisfy my cravings!

So, whats your quick fix for that craving that you just need to satisfy??

In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

random_spontaneosity
04-11--2005, 01:17 PM
haha,fun stuff.

i havent found any yet... just keep eating the bloody cheese.

for meat and stuff... well i dont get cravings anymore. the whole reason i gave it up was because i felt so bad and sick eating it that it just makes me feel kinda ill and bad glancing sideways at the meat isle in tesco.

and i guess coz i havent eaten tuna for ages, and becuae i always have nice food around anyway, i knowi dont need to eat it so i dont crave it.

but yes, cheese is my downfall...

ive even started on the ol' soya milk properlynow, getting the fresh stuff coz for some odd reason it tastes better than the other stuff i got... im so proud of myself. i hit one target really early on... i bet a go back and forth between the two for a while... i have 2pints of cowsmilk in the fridge as well as the soya milk.... hehe. just incase i didnt like the soya milk or i ran out or something. and i had soya milk hot choc lastnight and it was really nice. so i dont think i'll be craving milk much... unless i want to drink it straight. which reminds me i must get some milkshake today when i manage to get my arse into town... infact im going now... bye

Whirler
04-11--2005, 01:47 PM
With some cravings, it's not necessarily the food that you need but what it consists, for example, cheese is very salty. We learn behaviour patterns and associations with food, so generally I think once you un-learn those things the desire will be less. But when their is a craving, look at the flavour and try to work out some kind of alternative that's similar. Dunno, just my quick thought. :rolleyes:

Earth Fairy
04-11--2005, 03:27 PM
I agree with earth whirler- I get cravings for KFC when I'm hungover- but I'm sure it's the salt I crave as I usually have something really salty and Junk foodish instead and that normally takes the craving away.

Atomik
04-11--2005, 05:36 PM
I don't get cravings for meat at all and never have done :angel:

I feel like a cheat...... :puppydog:

uma
04-11--2005, 05:53 PM
With some cravings, it's not necessarily the food that you need but what it consists, for example, cheese is very salty. We learn behaviour patterns and associations with food, so generally I think once you un-learn those things the desire will be less. But when their is a craving, look at the flavour and try to work out some kind of alternative that's similar. Dunno, just my quick thought. :rolleyes:

um...sam this is the reason i started this thread......:whistle:

In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

Whirler
04-11--2005, 06:36 PM
um...sam this is the reason i started this thread......:whistle:

In Dharma,
Uma
x x xErm, that's not what you said tho'. You said what do you use as substitutes, what I'm saying is that if you look further into your craving rather than taking it at face value you may find that it's something different that you want. You've described what you've craved and what you've used as a substitute, but you haven't explained why and how you came to that conclusion. Silly Noby :tease:

uma
04-11--2005, 06:41 PM
You're right, I just assumed everyone was intellegent enough to come to that conclusion themselves:whistle: ..........:long:

In Dharma,
Uma
x x x

Atomik
04-11--2005, 06:55 PM
You're right, I just assumed everyone was intellegent enough:doh!:

stormypagan
04-11--2005, 08:19 PM
I know this isn't directly to do with being veggie/vegan but I have recently had a small craving/thirst for a sip of beer and usually I don't like beer very much!! So I have had a swig of Stonesy's recently (but just a swig as I really don't like the idea of drink and pregnancy for me personally) just to satisfy my craving .. so wierd to me as I have never really liked alchohol that much .... thinking hormones!!

I don't crave dairy or meat but I do crave a good vegan curry every so on!! Often folk have said to me in the past but what if you are pregnant and crave meat!! I just answer if I did I would still not eat it!! My will power is strong hehehe!!

Flibbertigibbet
04-11--2005, 10:46 PM
Cauliflower cheese......but I make a vegan version then my craving dies as I feel satisfied :cool:

magic tea
10-01--2006, 01:39 AM
I get cravings for bacon sandwiches occasionally.

Two solutions to this one:

- think about bacon. Craving gone. Hah.
- HP sauce sandwich! It's the HP I want! Ho yuss! Thinking about it, I'm not even sure if I've checked the bottle to make sure it's not got bits of aminul in it...

Atomik
10-01--2006, 08:25 AM
There's alway fake bacon. :whistle:

Boy Anachronism
10-01--2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah, but it's shite.

Firinne
10-01--2006, 01:39 PM
I've found broccoli a good substitute for red meat cravings, so whenever I crave one of the dishes I used to eat with beef I substitute broccoli. Our local chinese makes black pepper broccoli for me, when I really want comfort food it hits the spot every time :)

magic tea
10-01--2006, 06:57 PM
There's alway fake bacon. :whistle:

Only if you like eating cardboard. :whistle:

Atomik
10-01--2006, 07:09 PM
Nah. You gotta indulge properly. White bread, lashings of butter, lots of facon. Slobber.

Whirler
10-01--2006, 07:16 PM
I don't understand what people have against fake bacon - you're obviously all eating the wrong brand!!! In fact, I cooked some with a fry-up for my heavily carnivorous brother at xmas and he actually like it! So ner :harhar:

Sunny
10-01--2006, 07:51 PM
I get cravings for red pepper... and settle it with red pepper :D.
I don't think i really get that many cravings, but i've found that if ever i've felt the need for chocolate, either a lot of delicious fruit served up with good presentation (i dunno, i just think that makes it feel more luxurious) does the trick, or a green and blacks hot cocoa with rice milk. I know green and blacks hot cocoa is milk free, but i'm not sure i agree with the shinanigans of green and blacks at the moment.

Love,
Sunny
xxx

Paul
10-01--2006, 08:57 PM
smokin' bacon pringles are totally vegan and they rock.

I get cravings for meat pies. I live next door to a pie 'n' mash shop and the smell drives me crazy sometimes.

Flibbertigibbet
10-01--2006, 09:43 PM
Yep pringles are good for vegan cravigns but I live a vegan lifestyle and so cant eat pringles as they are made by proctor and gamble......is all about how far do we go.............for me I go all the way......personally i loved meat and fish and woudl love to eat it now if there was no nasties attached but personally I dont do so and have not for almost 30 years

Sarah
10-01--2006, 09:49 PM
green and blacks hot cocoa with rice milk thankyouuuuuuuuu xxxxx charlie loves hot chocolate and its good to know that that brand is milk free :thumbup: *hugs*

love n sunshine
Sarah xxx

Paul
10-01--2006, 10:02 PM
cant eat pringles as they are made by proctor and gambleNow I never knew that

stormypagan
12-01--2006, 07:35 PM
You would be suprised at how much food/products are made by dodgy companies, or at least companies that test on animals or seen as a no no in the animal rights world, etc.. They seem to buy up smaller firms, as is the way to stop competiton, and slap their name on it!! NESTLE is another, although that is more of about pushing their powdered milks on the third world causing unknown infant deaths due to contaminated water used to make the formula up!!!!

Exedous
12-01--2006, 08:30 PM
Cravings...Hmmm, i usually have a cold shower, then sit on my hands :lol:

I dont get many cravings now, alchahol is a bummer, tho ive found a few vegan beers and ciders...

Ghost

Whirler
12-01--2006, 09:12 PM
I dont get many cravings now, alchahol is a bummer, tho ive found a few vegan beers and ciders...

GhostThere are lots of vegan wines you can buy now and I'm pretty sure the Vegan Society have a list of vegan friendly alcohol.

stormypagan
13-01--2006, 04:54 PM
Or you could get a copy of the cruelty free shopper as that has all vegan beers, ales, wines etc... and as far as I know all spirits are vegan!!

Failing that make your own vegan wine :D we do but I never get to see any of it as Stonesy has it all!! Still I am not a big drinker as it does nothing for me personally!

Flibbertigibbet
13-01--2006, 07:38 PM
Hardys red wine is vegan so are many as labelled in the co op , strongbow cider is vegan as are many largers....

Paul
13-01--2006, 07:39 PM
Or you could get a copy of the cruelty free shopper as that has all vegan beers, ales, wines etc... and as far as I know all spirits are vegan!!

Failing that make your own vegan wine :D we do but I never get to see any of it as Stonesy has it all!! Still I am not a big drinker as it does nothing for me personally!
But is it printed on tree free paper? :whistle:

stormypagan
13-01--2006, 08:20 PM
Hardys red wine is vegan so are many as labelled in the co op , strongbow cider is vegan as are many largers....

Yeah the co-op is brilliant for that and other products ... shame they put so much of the veg in plastic trays though!!

As for tree free paper on the Animal free shopper then no and I cant even see a recycled paper sign :(