PDA

View Full Version : Vegan tarka dahl

AnnieAnne
04-11--2006, 07:07 PM
Ashima Khanom's tarka dahl recipe.

Ingredients:

A generous pinch of mix marsala (spices)
5 dried red chillies
500g packet red lentils
1 small onion
bunch of fresh coriander (if you're buying this from an 'Asian' grocery shop, 1 bunch is enough, if you're buying from a supermarket, you probably need 2 bunches 'cos they're smaller)
Quite a lot of oil for frying
water.

Method:

put the lentils in a large pan and add cold water to about 2cm above the lentils. Throughout the cooking process, keep an eye on the water level, you may need to top it up.
put the pan on the heat and heat to boiling point then reduce to a simmer. Stir every now and then to stop it burning on the bottom. Meanwhile.....
chop the ends off the corriander stems and discard. Chop the coriander (leaves and stems) at about 2 cm intervals.
Put the chopped coriander into the pan with the lentils and stir.
put some oil into a small frying pan and and fry the mix marsala until the seeds start popping and jumping. Pour the seeds and the oil into the lentil pan and stir.
Chop an onion. Refill the frying pan with oil. Heat the oil. Fry the onion until it begins to go clear (but not brown). put the onion and oil into the pan with the lentils and stuff and stir.
refill the frying pan with oil. Open the windows and put the extractor fan on. heat the oil and fry the chillis until they go black all over. This makes lots of smoke and will probably make you cough and your eyes water but it's worth it for the taste, trust me. Put the chillis and oil into the pan with the lentils and everything else. stir.
Reduce the heat a bit and cook on a low heat for as long as you are prepared to wait. The lentils should turn into a uniform paste. The longer you leave it, the better it tastes.
serve with basmati rice. Don't eat the fried chillis - take 'em out.

Jule9
04-11--2006, 09:07 PM
Good one AnnieAnne,

I like Tarka Dhal - it's a little 'otter:o (Sorry - couldn't keep that to meself)

BGG_Owen
04-11--2006, 09:41 PM
Wicked, love dahl. Always love adding new recipes to my repetoir. thanks :D

AnnieAnne
05-11--2006, 06:55 PM
Good one AnnieAnne,

I like Tarka Dhal - it's a little 'otter:o (Sorry - couldn't keep that to meself)
It is, isn't it? Friends used to have a band called "Tarka Dahl and the Otters"!:D

scarlett
05-11--2006, 07:45 PM
Good one AnnieAnne,

lol..saved me from saying it;)

Flibbertigibbet
08-11--2006, 08:03 PM
Tarka Dhal always uses garlic otherwise it is just dhal ...anyway this is best recipe I have found http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/recipes/tarka-dhal.html

AnnieAnne
09-11--2006, 07:47 PM
Tarka Dhal always uses garlic otherwise it is just dhal
Is it? OK, I may have misnamed it then. It's still a good receipe. I'll ask Ashima what kind of daal it is when I next see her.