THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 207 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you eat for your dinner [veggie/vegan]

Just had a vegan cottage pie..made the saucy bit with onion, garlic, tinned tomato, textured vegetable protein, pinto beans, thyme, black pepper, chilli sauce, soya sauce, balsamic vinegar. I added some soya milk and salt to the mashed potato that went on top which made it taste like I'd added butter! horray I served it with Carrots, sugar snap peas and baby corn. Twas lovely...I might experiment with making the mashed potato taste cheesy next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibdabs
    I might experiment with making the mashed potato taste cheesy next time.
    Hey Dibdabs, to make the mash taste a bit cheesy, try adding yeast flakes. Im not a fan of cheese myself, but I've been told they can be quite cheesy Sounds lovely

Quote Originally Posted by BGG_Owen
    Hey Dibdabs, to make the mash taste a bit cheesy, try adding yeast flakes. Im not a fan of cheese myself, but I've been told they can be quite cheesy Sounds lovely
    awesome ..Yeah, I've heard that yeast flakes can add a cheesy taste..but have never tried adding them to anything. Will give them a go

xx

I was just cooking myself a lentil and quinoa dahl to have for lunch tomorrow and I burnt it!

Will make another attempt tomorrow.

This thread was a brilliant idea!..makes me think about and get excited about what I'm going to cook next.

I was just cooking myself a lentil and quinoa dahl to have for lunch tomorrow and I burnt it!

Will make another attempt tomorrow.
    ooh, always wondered about quinoa. Tried it twice, first time was really quite terrible, think didnt cook it correctly and the second was pretty nice. Any tips on using it?

Also, on the yeast flakes front....i like putting weird things on toast/sandwiches and tried just marge, pepper and yeast flakes on toast Was pretty nice, apparently a bit like eggy bread a friend told me. I add to many things when you'd usually use cheese.

ooh, always wondered about quinoa. Tried it twice, first time was really quite terrible, think didnt cook it correctly and the second was pretty nice. Any tips on using it?
    I often use quinoa randomly in all sorts of things to attempt to boost my nutrition intake. Tis good in pasta sauces... Tis lovely to have along side lentils in the tomatoey bit of a Lasagne...makes a nice texture. Tis good in soups too. Or to have with stir fry or curry.. Sometimes I fry it a bit before I boil it..changes the flavour a bit. then use double the quantity of liquid as there is quinoa and bubble for 10-15....till it tastes right and most of the liquid has been absorbed..
    I've never used it in dahl before..but was reading over Earth Whirler's anaemia thread and it looks like I should be getting a lot more whole grains than I am getting..and so I figured if I made a lentil and quinoa dahl and had it with brown rice then it'd be a damn good start to getting more whole grains into my diet...hehe maybe I'm being a bit OTT .

Also, on the yeast flakes front....i like putting weird things on toast/sandwiches and tried just marge, pepper and yeast flakes on toast Was pretty nice, apparently a bit like eggy bread a friend told me. I add to many things when you'd usually use cheese.
    hehe amazing. Am looking forward to a whole new world of cheesy taste sensations once I buy some yeast flakes

The other thing I've been meaning to buy and attempt to do something with is seaweed...
    Last edited by Dibdabs; 09-12--2006 at 10:31 PM.

looks like I should be getting a lot more whole grains than I am getting..and so I figured if I made a lentil and quinoa dahl and had it with brown rice then it'd be a damn good start to getting more whole grains into my diet...hehe maybe I'm being a bit OTT .

The other thing I've been meaning to buy and attempt to do something with is seaweed...
    Yeah I dont think many people get enough of these. I really like the old mexican fave of black beans and rice with a bit of salad, provides the perfect nutritionally balanced meal or so Im told, as i dont really pay much attention to what I eat All i know is I love my veggies, grains, veggie protein alternatives!

I;ve never used seaweed either. Had a few times at restaurants. Wouldnt have the foggiest idea as to where to start though. Dont see it much in recipe books. Maybe try looking in some oriental cookbooks...

Oh and back on topic

I made another thai soup dish this eve and was even better than the first one I did. I bought some thai basil and kafir lime leaves in a jar from waitrose and that spurred me on to try again. And low and behold it was incredibly delicious. Much more 'thai' this time, in that the flavours were quite subtle and delicate. Really surprised at the complete differences between all the different basil's. Thai is almost anaeseed, french smells like pesto and italian is like the archetypal flavour you'd expect from any basil plant.

Man, food is so amazing, always gives me a buzz discovering new things.

Huge thanks Earthwhirler for creating this thread

Woohoo! Attempt 2 at dahl was a huge success as sunday lunch for everyone.
    Made it with onions, garlic, madras curry paste, green lentils, carrots, apple and creamed coconut. Served with brown rice and a rocket and corriander salad. yum yum scrummy yum

...maybe I'll attempt making some vegan pastry tomorrow...just because I never have...
    Last edited by Dibdabs; 10-12--2006 at 03:57 PM.

I made roast dinner (bit of a ritual for me every sunday). But last tuesday I watched Heston Blumentals cookery program and he was trying to do the perfect roast....Needless to say, most of what he did looked great, but the process was long and tedious to say the least! So i just stuck with my tried and tested, but the one thing I did do on his recommendation was to leave adding the herbs (rosemary n sage this time) to the potatoes n roasted veggies until 10 mins from the end. As, if you add them at the beginning the herbs get burnt/cooked way to much and so none of the flavour gets trransferred, but if done towards the end, it works wonders

Man, parsnips are good this time of year

Tonight I made:

Normal & sweet potatoe wedges (nice n crisp with cajun spices), purple sprouting brocolli and some new quorn wild mushroom n white wine sauce pastry things that had nice enough sauce bit, but the rest was pretty horrid. But wedges and broc were lovely!

I had a boiled egg
    Back in Black .

Egg and chips for me - wrong! but so good
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it...

I made another thai soup dish this eve and was even better than the first one I did. I bought some thai basil and kafir lime leaves in a jar from waitrose and that spurred me on to try again. And low and behold it was incredibly delicious. Much more 'thai' this time, in that the flavours were quite subtle and delicate. Really surprised at the complete differences between all the different basil's. Thai is almost anaeseed, french smells like pesto and italian is like the archetypal flavour you'd expect from any basil plant.
    Owen, please can I kidnap you so that you can cook me lovely meals all the time?!

Quote Originally Posted by ms-violet
    Owen, please can I kidnap you so that you can cook me lovely meals all the time?!
    Haha, well I'd be lieing if i said you were first person to say that to me....But I'll tell yah what, I'll add your name to the list of kidnappers! Other people have asked to keep my locked up in their cupboards, so theres competition
    The following users think this post is groovy: wabbey

cracking a chat Flibbertigibbet's Avatar
    I made tarka dhal and rice but added leeks....oh and 'cos I don't coem in here too often I make my cottage pe with lentils rather than textured soya stuff.....very yum
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today

Quote Originally Posted by Flibbertigibbet
    I make my cottage pe with lentils rather than textured soya stuff.....very yum
    I agree! Stu's the shepherd's/cottage (difference?) pie maker around here and he alternates but the lentils are very yummy!!!

I was extremely lazy this evening...Had oven chips, salad with good dose of olives and sweet mediteranean peppers thrown in and some fried Nutolene. Was well tasty and very simple

One of my friends who's a student nurse (the only people left in my halls are nurses and international students now ) came round and we cooked an awesome veggie dinner together:

-vegetable things (no idea what they were, just loads of veg all pushed into a funny shape and put in the grill)
    -carrot and potato mash
    -peas
    -grilled tomatoes
    -veggie gravy

and for pudding an apple pie

yum yum yum ... and the company was nice too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a one pun wonder
    broccoli surprise
    Last edited by capn; 20-12--2006 at 09:44 PM.

Forget your name
    i had potatoe, leek, tomatoe and cream cheese bake.......
    god bless uni for forcing me to create dishes!
    Here comes the sun... :wiggle:

Had really easy tea tonight...oven chips, veggie garlic kiev and lots of salad. Very simple and was rather satisfying.

metaphorical glue willowphoenix's Avatar
    I had celery soup, it was homemade, my kids love it.
    Come see my art!www.paintingsilove.com/artist/carolinecutting

hi for dinner today i had golden grahams and a hand full of pretzels
    lol
    ive stuffed in so much fruit today you wouldent believe it
    voted nicest member..........thats what they think

Like the renegade master magicmonkey's Avatar
    I've just made a pearl barley risotto and then hollowed out an aubergine and stuffed it all inside, whacked it back in the oven for 10 minutes and eaten it, tasted damned good
    Peace and fucking, believe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.