THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 131 of 134 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,144 of 3200

Thread: What's everyone reading now?

The Caliphs And Their Non Muslim Subjects- a critical study of the covenant of Umar by A. S . Tritton

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Something maybe a little more light than that- I have just finished the novel " Harlequin " by bernard cornwell following the english king and knights with the welsh bowmen trying to capture large parts of the north of france in the fourteenth century. very well researched,a good story and from what I can gather,historically correct. very enjoyable story
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: likahamadoolihan

That is a fantastic novel IC , read it a few months ago. He's a bloody good writer , everything I 've read of his has been very enjoyable and hard to put down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

Indeed he is a good writer. what I forgot to mention was that I have just finished reading this for the second time,which is a rare thing for me.
    The book that I read just before it was " sword of the templars " by paul cristopher which was a sort of divinci code type read,but also following history from the same period when the templars had wealth and power going into the fourteenth century. it was also a hard one to put down.
    I love history around that period,and a good bit of historical fact and a damn good yarn will keep me out of mischief for a couple of days

The Maths Handbook
    PⒶUL

Second time I had read it too.
    A goodishbook , well worth reading that I read some years ago involving the Templars was by Robert Shea , co author of the Illuminatus trilogy called All Things Are Lights . A sort of romance centred around the Cathars and their massacre by the French catholic nobility .
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

I tend to be agreeing with you a lot this evening
    good recommendation
    The following users think this post is groovy: likahamadoolihan

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    I tend to be agreeing with you a lot this evening
    good recommendation

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by likahamadoolihan
    Second time I had read it too.
    A goodishbook , well worth reading that I read some years ago involving the Templars was by Robert Shea , co author of the Illuminatus trilogy called All Things Are Lights . A sort of romance centred around the Cathars and their massacre by the French catholic nobility .
    The Return of the Magi, by Maurice Magre, is much in the same period, and has a section on the Cathars and Albigenses.
    Originally in French, and quite old now, it deals with how in almost all religions the original teachings were perverted by a priesthood ambitious to obtain power and wealth.

Technical sailing books.
    Heavy weather cruising
    Weather at sea
    Emergency first aid
    And the ever so exciting...
    International Regulations For Preventing Collisions At Sea.
    Boring as fuck, but nessercerry knowledge, the last one is particularly good for getting me to sleep. 😬
    The following users think this post is groovy: Jeni Treehugger

Mao - The Unknown Story by Jung Chang and John Halliday
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

lone wolf survivalist.
    "What happened to the Corbetts", Nevil Shute.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    page three of the beano
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, glowingsunsets, Miss_bee, TravellerNick

Marie potter and the campervan of doom. So funny

Ashes of a Black Frost (Book Three of The Iron Elves) by Chris Evans - thoroughly enjoying the whole series.

Before that came - The King's Traitor (The Kingfountain Series Book 3) by Jeff Wheeler - thoroughly enjoying this series too.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

Intimacy by Jean-Paul Sartre
    It's a collection of 5 short stories
    I'm on the last one - an excellent wee book I have to say!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

The Secrets of Doctor Taverner by Dion Fortune. A book of short stories based on supernatural subjects. Each story is based on facts.

Hi all, first post here and thought it would be fitting to be about books.

Just finished "reading" (audible) the epic that is Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I really loved the alternative mythology of the story and didn't want it to end, despite already being 30 hours long!

Just finished The storied life of AJ Fikry. Was a lovely book really enjoyed it.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Extreme survival meat-a guide for safe scavenging, pemmican making, and roadkill. Tamarack Song, isbn 9780989473712.(2015).

Yay!Lightbringer..i bought a copy of women who run with the wolves..boot sale 25p,will let you know how it goes 😊xx

Huey Morgan's Rebel Heroes - Huey Morgan

The renegades of music.

Some useful stuff about the early woman musicians so far .... and the death of Kurt Cobain

I finally finished my Ruth Rendell book. Really enjoyed it. Have 'Glue' by Irvine Welch next. Sure i'll soon get 'stuck in'

I'm about to finish The Art of War, it's been really interesting so far.