THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 135 of 135 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 131 132 133 134 135
Results 3,217 to 3,236 of 3236

Thread: What's everyone reading now?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by likahamadoolihan
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Michael Moorcock has been one of my favourite writers since me was a yoof .

Recently finished reading Eight Finger Eddie - My Relative Rise to Obscurity.
    An autobiographical memoir , in which Eddie ( Yertward Mazamanian, 1924 - 2010 ) tells his lifestory,
    An American hippy of Armenian descent, who lived in Goa from the mid 60's and is credited with popularising it as a hippy destination. He used to feed the visiting people's and is the guy who started Anjuna flea market. His story covers his childhood years and then his teens and playing bass in jazz bands and then living off immoral earnings and then onto Nepal and Goa
    It's a pretty good read, hard to put down .

Wiki here -

Website -

Eight Finger Eddie - My Relative Rise to Obscurity . Free pdf file and other downloads here -

I remember reading some good obituaries about him in a. couple of papers when he died , there's also some good clips of him as an old guy in Goa and other related Goa tribe people's on youtube.
    Well groovy, now this all looks like essential reading dude - thanks for the links, will really enjoy, I can tell from your post xxx
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

A Soooo Fascinating And Wisdom Teaching Journey ...I Am Finding This Great Wisdom Teaching Book...In Fact It Is Not Just A Book ..It Be A True Learning Journey Full Of Wisdoms And Uniqueness That Opens Up Your Mind And Takes You To Another Level Of Understanding.

I Be Half Way Through And Am Already Addicted To The Powerful Wisdoms/ Thinking Within It And It Holds And Shares
    )....So Great
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, verticalis48

Loved This Follow Along Book ...His First I Soaked All In Like A Sponge And This One That Followed Was Even More Sponging To My Bouncie Brainzz...

I Love The Debates And Disputes And Tongue Wagging That This Book Has Caused And Still Causes As Many Do Not Agree With His Thinkings And Findings ...

It Is A Journey Of Mind Body And Spirit Wisdoms ..It Both Excites And Awakens New Beginnings And New Wisdoms That Will Blow You Away ... Its A True Journey Of Enlightenment Of Beginnings Of Time Of Times And Will Have You Both Doubting And Thinking And Debating That Many Of Your Teached And Learned Thoughts Before You May Have Believed About First Origins And Beginnings Of Time Of Times And Race And Other Wordly Beings And Ancient Texts Writings Language Etc Etc And Dates Of First Lifes Etc ...

It Truly Makes You Come Alive And Awaken With Its Powerfulness....And Hours Of Great Talk And Debate When You Gather...I Am Truly Lovinzzx This More Than A Books ...Wisdoms And Enlighting And Learning ...It Truly Fascinates Me And Excited Me Truly
    )
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, oldkeith

Yep...I Do "Read Books" And Not Just "Bounce" hahahaha

In Fact I Lovezzzz Books And There Teachings And Wisdoms And Books Make Me Feel Alive As It Sends Wave After Waves Of Wisdoms Teachings Through Me ..
    I Eat Up Learning/Teachings/Wisdoms Etc Books And Take Them Into My Mind Body Heart And Spirit ...As Books To Me Are Just Not "Books" They Be Windows To Your Mind And Come Alive Within You
    ))
    And I Luvzzzz To Snuggle Up With A Good Book Feast As I Have A Constant Hunger For Wisdoms And Teachings Which Only Can Make Me Feel Full When I Read As I Absorb And Take In And Touch And Feel "Every Single Word" That My Eyes See And My Mind Takes In As I Feed My Hunger
    )

Off the beaten track .... Maxal's Avatar
    The Powwow Highway - David Seals.

Wow, these last few additions are amazing. They all interconnect in ways. If I remember right, Michael Moorcock used to visit Mervyn Peake. I haven't read Cock for ages I should get some more. Mervyn Peake for me is King of fantasy - the (whole) trilogy is beautiful. I can't lie, for the first tens of pages I wondered what I was getting into, then all of a sudden by magic I was wandering around those stony vaults, but it wasn't just the setting (Steerpike climbing up those high towers), it was the characters - the twins!!! I saw the BBC version of it, but I can't even remember it, they tried to turn it into a quirky / odd piece and it simply wasn't quirky in that way. On the other hand the dramatisation of Mr Pye, also by Peake (but doesn't have the prose of Gormy) with Derek Jacobi was beautifully done. Even though Peake is 'fantasy', it needs to be handled very carefully.

It has to be the book for Gormenghast. Peake is an excellent writer (and artist), he must have been a wonderful person. Verty, I couldn't do anything with that Pilgrim's site - and what is the Graham UKH thing? I haven't read Neil Gaiman yet. Are all of his books good? I have American Gods, but haven't yet got round to it.

I'm like Alf M about audio, I get distracted by a spider dipping into a crack in the wall, and like the spider - I'm gone.

Alf M - Have you read the whole Mieville trilogy? I read Perdido when it first came out. I was halfway through it, and I left it on the bus (!!!). I couldn't believe it. I was so distressed, it was a hardback and I get attached to my books (especially halfway through), I went to the bus station, they told me to try the Lost and Found at the bus station, which was way up the hill on a windey road. I got there, a HUGE high-roofed chasm of a dark station. I felt totally lost in this station, but then when I went to the Lost and Found they smilingly handed me my book! I couldn't believe it. This is in London. I like the story because of the title of the book Perdido Station which means lost station. I had a banal adventure that had a strange link with the book I was lost in.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Perdido. I guess I too need to reread it because I have forgotten it all and now want to read the other two. (King Rat by Mieville was also very good, easier to read than Perdido and just as exciting).
    The following users think this post is groovy: verticalis48

I've just got my copy of Perdido down. In it is the Lost and Found form I had to fill in to get my book. I've also got a Christmas card from Les Edwards in this book - he did the cover illustration for that first edition. (My job was doing book covers, so I knew Les, he did a few artworks which I used for some horror titles).

Mieville is very well read. He listed some of his favourite books, one is Death to the Pigs by Benjamin Péret, a classic surrealist. I do happen to have it, but am daunted by its severity. Then totally at the other end of the spectrum he lists The Borribles, which I have read. It's classed as a children's book, but don't let that put you off. I don't think it would be unpublishable as a children's book now - it is anti-police so quite brave. I'm not anti-police by the way, but think you do need to appreciate both sides and you have to be wary for the potential of police corruption. So, The Borribles is an important book and deserves to be much wider read - and with adult supervision!

Other great fantasy: Dune, Jonathan Carroll, Clive Barker (especially Weaveworld and Imajica), Christopher Priest, Heinlein (I love his rambling style and the way he goes on tangents when characters ramble on polemically). Heinein is easily readable and it's fun to be in a rocket with him. Jules Verne of course. Samuel Delany, said with caution - he has written some sexually weird stuff, but he may be one of the bravest and most skilled writers ever, what he is doing with his skill is open to debate, but those debates seem confined to universities and small book shops. His mastery of the English language is unparalleled. He has done easier SF and won the top SF awards, Nova is a good example of this solid SF. Then for his more challenging, literary work, Dhalgren is a good place to start. Dhalgren is one of my favourite books - it is certainly my favourite modern book. The first five pages are a bit difficult, cobwebby, like walking through a swamp, but then you emerge into the city of Dhalgren and things get more defined. I think the poetic vaguery of the first pages is a good intro, but I think that retrospectively. Once you are in Dhalgren, be prepared for the totally unexpected. You have to be sexually open in order to appreciate this book, this isn't for shrinking violets. But the real joy of reading Delany (and particularly Dhalgren), is his descriptive prose. Everything is described, the ground beneath foot, the air breathed, the buildings, everything. I don't know how he does it - he makes it all fascinating. Like walking into a warehouse for the first time and wanting to explore, you are there. There are some bits where he goes to a family's home and has dinner and some whipped cream is described on a jello desert, it's so odd. This family by the way is put there as contrast - I suppose they are the ordinary ones. Then all the other groups: Hell's Angels types etc are more experimental. And why is this SF? William Gibson and many others have this book as their favourite - it's worth persevering with if you want to enter a New World.

Originally Posted by Maxal
    I've just got my copy of Perdido down. In it is the Lost and Found form I had to fill in to get my book. I've also got a Christmas card from Les Edwards in this book - he did the cover illustration for that first edition. (My job was doing book covers, so I knew Les, he did a few artworks which I used for some horror titles).

Mieville is very well read. He listed some of his favourite books, one is Death to the Pigs by Benjamin Péret, a classic surrealist. I do happen to have it, but am daunted by its severity. Then totally at the other end of the spectrum he lists The Borribles, which I have read. It's classed as a children's book, but don't let that put you off. I don't think it would be unpublishable as a children's book now - it is anti-police so quite brave. I'm not anti-police by the way, but think you do need to appreciate both sides and you have to be wary for the potential of police corruption. So, The Borribles is an important book and deserves to be much wider read - and with adult supervision!

Other great fantasy: Dune, Jonathan Carroll, Clive Barker (especially Weaveworld and Imajica), Christopher Priest, Heinlein (I love his rambling style and the way he goes on tangents when characters ramble on polemically). Heinein is easily readable and it's fun to be in a rocket with him. Jules Verne of course. Samuel Delany, said with caution - he has written some sexually weird stuff, but he may be one of the bravest and most skilled writers ever, what he is doing with his skill is open to debate, but those debates seem confined to universities and small book shops. His mastery of the English language is unparalleled. He has done easier SF and won the top SF awards, Nova is a good example of this solid SF. Then for his more challenging, literary work, Dhalgren is a good place to start. Dhalgren is one of my favourite books - it is certainly my favourite modern book. The first five pages are a bit difficult, cobwebby, like walking through a swamp, but then you emerge into the city of Dhalgren and things get more defined. I think the poetic vaguery of the first pages is a good intro, but I think that retrospectively. Once you are in Dhalgren, be prepared for the totally unexpected. You have to be sexually open in order to appreciate this book, this isn't for shrinking violets. But the real joy of reading Delany (and particularly Dhalgren), is his descriptive prose. Everything is described, the ground beneath foot, the air breathed, the buildings, everything. I don't know how he does it - he makes it all fascinating. Like walking into a warehouse for the first time and wanting to explore, you are there. There are some bits where he goes to a family's home and has dinner and some whipped cream is described on a jello desert, it's so odd. This family by the way is put there as contrast - I suppose they are the ordinary ones. Then all the other groups: Hell's Angels types etc are more experimental. And why is this SF? William Gibson and many others have this book as their favourite - it's worth persevering with if you want to enter a New World.
    Groovy groovy groovy, yeah William Gibson cool.....will check the other stuff out too - wow, gots loads of readin materials for winter now xxx

And as a final comment, I want to re-mention Roadside Picnic, that I mentioned above.

I wouldn't say this is an easy read (but it's not too difficult). If anybody knows the film Solaris by Rakovsky then they may know this book? Tarkovsky also directed Stalker, which is based on Roadside Picnic. This is Russian SF. It's not a thrilling SF tale in the vein of Heinlein. It's about an area of Russia where some aliens had happened to land a while ago, they left various detritus behind and then dissapeared - no explanation, and it is left for the ordinary people to conjecture what all this stuff is for. The focus is very much on the ordinary, rather than the extraordinary. These are Russians struggling to make a living, oppressed, tired of the system, and more passionate about living a free life. This ordinary life is see from the stalker's perspective - people who scrounge a living from seeking the alien artefacts and selling them on the black market, meanwhile guessing what they are for and pondering over the meaning of life.

At points I was riveted and then at other points I was wondering what it was all leading to, I wondered if the book even could lead to anything worth reading. The book does deliver. And in a very human and spiritual way. It's an unusual book, won't appeal to all, but very rewarding for some. I'll always remember it and I am looking forward to watching the film.
    The following users think this post is groovy: verticalis48

Submission - Michel Houellebcq
    Just downloaded it. Apparently it's a well written , deep, dark, grim and funny piece of political satire .
    Amazon description -
    As the 2022 French Presidential election looms, two candidates emerge as favourites: Marine Le Pen of the Front National, and the charismatic Muhammed Ben Abbes of the growing Muslim Fraternity. Forming a controversial alliance with the political left to block the Front National’s alarming ascendency, Ben Abbes sweeps to power, and overnight the country is transformed. This proves to be the death knell of French secularism, as Islamic law comes into force: women are veiled, polygamy is encouraged and, for our narrator François – misanthropic, middle-aged and alienated – life is set on a new course.

Wikipedia entry about Submission

The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Likahama. I like the photo. [I don't get your profile - are you joking?] [Asking probably defeats the whole purpose!]

I have read Atomised by Houellebecq, which is what made him famous. It's a very good book. He has some very interesting ideas (I wonder if he is a nasty piece of work). Apparently he lives in Ireland now.

They were going to have an interview with him at the ICA. I would have loved to have seen that - in an interview you can see much better what somebody truly believes. It's funny how much you can hide behind words, or how words can misrepresent. I was told by somebody working at the ICA that the interview didn't proceed because he is so volatile.

Hanneke is another interesting one. Funny Games, the original version, is a harrowing film. I saw this at the ICA as part of a weekend debate on censorship. Hanneke was there with other people (including James Ferman, a past BBFC film censor . . .) I remember one person walked out of Funny Games. It was shown in an uncut version that was never released. I was really interested to see how Hanneke presented himself as a person. For me it justified his films. With some films, they can be so extreme, you don't know whether the director is taking the piss or not. (Lar von Trier is like that for me.) Hanneke comes across as a thinker, he is also compassionate, friendly, imaginative etc. He is a great film director.

Back to Houellebecq. There was a film made of Atomised and a film made of the book before Atomised (Cow?). Atomised is much better as a book. From memory, the first film was more arty and I think it got a good sense of the anomie which Houellebecq is concerned with.

Thanks for reminding me of him, I should re-read him.

Would you read anything by this man?

My mistake: The first book was titled Whatever (threre is a picture of a cow on the cover). The film is called Extension du domaine de la lutte, which means "broadening of the battlefield".

Evening Maxai , glad you like my photo , profile - joking , how very dare you.

I haven't read any of his other works , but I am enjoying Submission , I like his dark humour and his style of writing .
    I don't know if he's a nasty piece of work , certainly a narcissist ,with a bleak ( maybe realistic ) outlook on life and the future of civilisation .

Thank you for the heads up on Hanneke and the films based on Houellebecq's books.
    Houellebecqs quite a looker isn't he . I think that the Charlie Hebdo cover of him was pretty spot on.

I know! The question itself was offensive, shit, but I had to ask, and please accept my apology. I can be really stupid sometimes - and your profile is machine-gun stark! Anyway, sigh of relief.

I have now ordered Submission. But I think when I read him next I will read the Possibility of an Island book. At the end of Atomised there is a twenty page bit that goes SF and it is very good. The photo I picked because it's funny, there are more flattering photos of him. And nasty piece of work is probably extreme, you sum him up well. He can come across as sort of gentle on video, but I think there are a host of other things lurking beneath, maybe entangled with bitterness which has been said by many. And as I said, from the discussion I had at the ICA, he is fiery and difficult to the point that the professionals rarely publicly interview him.

Here is one:

Also, this specifically about Submission. I haven't yet watched it:

Originally Posted by Maxal
    I know! The question itself was offensive, shit, but I had to ask, and please accept my apology. I can be really stupid sometimes - and your profile is machine-gun stark! Anyway, sigh of relief.

I have now ordered Submission. But I think when I read him next I will read the Possibility of an Island book. At the end of Atomised there is a twenty page bit that goes SF and it is very good. The photo I picked because it's funny, there are more flattering photos of him. And nasty piece of work is probably extreme, you sum him up well. He can come across as sort of gentle on video, but I think there are a host of other things lurking beneath, maybe entangled with bitterness which has been said by many. And as I said, from the discussion I had at the ICA, he is fiery and difficult to the point that the professionals rarely publicly interview him.

Here is one:

Absolutely no need for an apology Maxai and no offence taken and no stupidity on your part , let's face it I set myself up forr such scenarios of misinterpretiation
    Thank you for posting those interviews, obviously a complex and intelligent character

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Anything with Pharmacokinetics in it to get me through a tutorial next Tuesday.....

Originally Posted by Daisysmum
    Anything with Pharmacokinetics in it to get me through a tutorial next Tuesday.....
    Very best of luck Daisysmum
    may your powers of recall be excellent ! xxx

A spot of bother by Mark Haddon...easy read but enjoyable..