Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Human Nature and Conspiracy Theories.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by elfqueenofrohan
    let's say your right ok, hyperthetically, and that all these people who believe in this stuff are talking crap and are dismissing 'truth' in favour of what they want to believe. (although, i've heard conspiracy theorists say exactly the same about people who don't believe them lol)
    Why on earth would they do that?
    Many, many reasons, lots of which have already been listed in this thread. But y'know, it's often quite simple. Reality is often dull, and conspiracy theories are just more interesting. Like good fiction. Once people have got sucked in, they want to believe them. But you might as well ask why would apparently rational, intelligent people believe that the world was made in six days and six nights, during which time God laid down false fossils to confuse future scientists.

Like.. if it's religion I can understand people fooling themselves (if it's not true anyway) as it's a reassurance and all that jazz, but why would someone want to believe something which doesn't actually make any difference to anything in their life unless there's good reason behind it ?
    But it does provide reassurance. It provides reassurance that the world can be explained, and apparently random events are all part of some plan, and that there is order behind the chaos. And it gives people a sense of self-worth and self-importance if they know something that other people don't. It's personal validation. It fills a void in people's lives.

but if there is an idea, and yet people are questioning it and saying hang on, but i think this isn't true because of this that and the other - why would they do that? unless there was something behind it. i can't see the reasoning apart from wanting to share the truth!!!!!!!
    See above. People have all kinds of reasons for wanting to believe bullshit.

does that make sense or am i talking bullshit again?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    It makes sense. I understand your confusion. But here's a closing thought for you.... all the conspiracies that our governments and The Powers That Be allegedly manage to execute... huge conspiracies spanning continents and involving large numbers of people, planting evidence, manipulating the media, concealing the truth.... and they couldn't even arrange to "find" some weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? They couldn't even manage to plant a couple of pounds of enriched uranium? Or a barrel or two of mustard gas? Gimme a break.

Originally Posted by Coyote
    What do CTs discuss?

They propose that the problems of the world are down to the illuminati, the space aliens, the shapechanging lizards, the shadow government, the Harrp array or whoever....rather than taking resposibility for the simple fact that everyday millions choose greed over modesty, grudges over tollerance, 'purity' over mixture and force over gentleness.

They distract from the truth; embracing glamour in preference.
    I think I just heard clippety clopping again.

Originally Posted by Atomik
    I think I just heard clippety clopping again.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

It makes sense. I understand your confusion. But here's a closing thought for you.... all the conspiracies that our governments and The Powers That Be allegedly manage to execute... huge conspiracies spanning continents and involving large numbers of people, planting evidence, manipulating the media, concealing the truth.... and they couldn't even arrange to "find" some weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? They couldn't even manage to plant a couple of pounds of enriched uranium? Or a barrel or two of mustard gas? Gimme a break.

But if I asked, there'd be a reason why they couldn't have done that. They have an answer to everything... actually, now I think about it, when people have an answer to everything, it seems to suggest they hold less facts than the people who don't...

it's all a bit mystifying. i think i would be more inclined to believe you but that's because you're more sane (seemingly) than they are. i'll bear in mind you could be wrong and they could be right tho. there's still so many disputed 'facts' after-all.
    we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

I hadn't looked at it like that.

Thank you.

Ya welcome

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

But if I asked, there'd be a reason why they couldn't have done that. They have an answer to everything... actually, now I think about it, when people have an answer to everything, it seems to suggest they hold less facts than the people who don't...
    Sounds to me a lot like church

it's all a bit mystifying. i think i would be more inclined to believe you but that's because you're more sane (seemingly) than they are. i'll bear in mind you could be wrong and they could be right tho. there's still so many disputed 'facts' after-all.
    Don't believe anyone. Consider all the facts and reach your own conclusion. And don't trust facts that are handed to you - look for your own. But most importantly, use common sense. Think about the logistics behind (for example) planting explosives in the WTC, faking the Pentagon impact, disposing of the other flight, yadda yadda yadda... and weigh it against the benefits of what was to be gained. Then ask yourself if that gain could have been achieved through simpler means. Common sense always supplies the answers. Now if someone was to suggest that we knew in advance that 9/11 was going to happen, and chose to turn a blind eye.... that's far more plausible.

But most importantly, use common sense.

I think for some people conspiracy is a form of escapism as they can not deal with things going on in their life, so they prefer a fantasy world based around conspiracy, as a way of explaining things. Not saying all conspiracy theories are absolutely untrue, I think rationality and looking at all the evidence is important before deciding whether or not to believe in any conspiracy theory.