THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Human Nature and Conspiracy Theories.

Tuning In

Human Nature and Conspiracy Theories.

I guess this is the right place because it's more to do with why people believe conspiracy theories, than discussion about an individual theory.

Most people believe conspiracy theories and at the same time criticize all religion and call it utter rubbish. Though there isn't much more proof for some conspiracy theories than there is for religion.

I think for people it's easier to think that humans aren't naturally capable of "evil" and are in fact influenced by lizards or who ever else into being evil, than it is to except that human nature contains good and evil.

Also if people think that humans are manipulated into being evil by outside sources it gives them hope that humanity could unite to over throw these evil oppressors, and that from then on human nature would only ever be naturally good and pure.

If people except human nature is naturally capable of good and evil then they have to accept humans always will be, and always have been this way. Then that will remove in there mind the chance of saving humanity and bringing it in to a golden age of all love and kindness and zero negativity.

It seems in this way conspiracy theories are very similar to religion in that they act as a crutch to fend off the bad aspects of the world and human nature. Another similarity is the belief that with out the negative influence of "evil" be it from the "devil" or "lizards" then human nature would be good and pure.

We all know humans are capable of good and bad. We have always been this way, and always will be. Society's change, but people don't. You get different configurations of people with certain aspects of their nature spread out differently in other societies, and with certain personality types more prevalent in other societies. Though human nature is still the same as it was in any other society, even post society and agriculture human nature was the same.

I think people also prefer the slight comfort of believing that they live in a well-ordered world in which someone has a grand plan. Despite the evils of those that supposedly control us, I suspect that deep down, people find this preferable to believing that human society is essentially a chaotic mess.

Tuning In

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Atomik
    I think people also prefer the slight comfort of believing that they live in a well-ordered world in which someone has a grand plan.
    Another similarity to religion. I wonder if conspiracy theories have become popular because they fill the "religion" section of human nature which has been left grasping for something since western religion started going downhill.

Conspiracy theories exist because people make conspiracies, and have done throughout history.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Does being class A guarantee that they are the best drugs? - Ali Gee

Originally Posted by PlutoPete
    Conspiracy theories exist because people make conspiracies, and have done throughout history.
    People have also had sex throughout history. However, when I see two people talking, I don't assume that they're about to have sex.

People have also had sex throughout history. However, when I see two people talking, I don't assume that they're about to have sex.
    if you see two people talking, do you assume they're conspiring about something then

if you see two people talking, do you assume they're conspiring about something then
    Conspiracy theorists tend to assume conspiracy in preference to far simpler and more likely explanations - hence the analogy.

I think on some level it is a void being filled. People want something to believe in and we're not frightened of the church like we used to be (at least not in this country) so it's almost like a desire to have authority being used above our heads as a means to control and manipulate - maybe it's a natural shift from the Christianity buried deep in our psyches.

I also think that it's a desire for drama. To some how embellish life no matter if it's with a negative view about life and the powers that be.

I dunno. What does a conspiracy theorist think on the matter? Other than it's 'cos there are conspiracies

Conspiracy theories offer both mystery and order in an age increasingly where everything is categorised and classified. They also arise in situations of distrust of authorities; such as in europe and the US post-WWII.

If you can find them, check out:
    Alasdair Spark's “Possibility Thinking” and “Conspiracy Thinking and Conspiracy Studying” in Clio’s Psyche December 2000.
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

Conspiracy theories are made up and believed because people cant take the truth- it hurts

Originally Posted by reggaegotsoul
    Conspiracy theories are made up and believed because people cant take the truth- it hurts
    only because when conspiracies are proved they become scandals and cease being theories. I'm not saying every theory is true, but conspiracies have been happening throughout history and will continue to happen as long as mankind is capable of lying

only because when conspiracies are proved they become scandals and cease being theories. I'm not saying every theory is true, but conspiracies have been happening throughout history and will continue to happen as long as mankind is capable of lying
    True to a point. But then the problem with those theories labelled "conspiracy theories" is that the alleged conspiracies are too complex/implausible/unlikely to be the actual explanation for the event in question.

And what is a "conspiracy" anyway? A secret plan? Well governments and corporations conspire all the time by that definition. So clearly the term "conspiracy theory" is intended to apply to something a little more exotic. It suggests something beyond the act of simply "conspiring" - which is why the term generally refers to the more bizarre and implausible theories for world events. So it's really a little misleading to argue that the reality of conspiracies accounts for a belief in "conspiracy theories", since they're two quite dissimilar things.

True to a point. But then the problem with those theories labelled "conspiracy theories" is that the alleged conspiracies are too complex/implausible/unlikely to be the actual explanation for the event in question.

And what is a "conspiracy" anyway? A secret plan? Well governments and corporations conspire all the time by that definition. So clearly the term "conspiracy theory" is intended to apply to something a little more exotic. It suggests something beyond the act of simply "conspiring" - which is why the term generally refers to the more bizarre and implausible theories for world events. So it's really a little misleading to argue that the reality of conspiracies accounts for a belief in "conspiracy theories", since they're two quite dissimilar things.
    Can't agree with that one, as, when a conspiracy is revealed, one has to start questioning other things, therefore when you find out conspiracy exists it makes it a lot easier to believe there may be other conspiracies.
    Kiss My Aura Dora.

But do you also assume that they're not about to have sex?
    Kiss My Aura Dora.

Originally Posted by matty
    Can't agree with that one, as, when a conspiracy is revealed, one has to start questioning other things, therefore when you find out conspiracy exists it makes it a lot easier to believe there may be other conspiracies.
    Again, it depends how you define a "conspiracy". The theories that are currently labelled "conspiracy theories" are far more implausible and unlikely and on a far grander scale than any conspiracy that's been "revealed" in the past.

The catch is, history teaches us that govt's are about as trustworthy as a rottweiller in a room full of cats
    so it is actually sensible to expect the worst of them. The difficulty with CTs is that they tend to use this to apply whatever pet fiction they fancy.....which of course makes a mess for anyone bringing out any REAL reports of govt dodgyness (beyond the obviousness of lying dossiers that are ignored by the voting public
    ).
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

Originally Posted by Coyote
    The catch is, history teaches us that govt's are about as trustworthy as a rottweiller in a room full of cats
    so it is actually sensible to expect the worst of them. The difficulty with CTs is that they tend to use this to apply whatever pet fiction they fancy.....which of course makes a mess for anyone bringing out any REAL reports of govt dodgyness (beyond the obviousness of lying dossiers that are ignored by the voting public
    ).
    Indeed. Expect the worst, but don't expect the ridiculous.

Indeed. Expect the worst, but don't expect the ridiculous.
    Catch is, there is often a thin line between those two...

The biggest problem with CTs that I have found is that, in preference to people doing something about a terrible system as stands, they choose to craft a fantasy or far fetched story and do little beyond post on t'internet about it - I wonder if they are a symptom of insanity brought about by a belief they are powerless to affect the real, so they twist it to an unreal level then rail against it whilst having an excuse for not acting ("its the invisible illuminati").

Athena
    People lie. Every day.

It's ridiculous to think that Governments do not lie!

Originally Posted by Coyote
    Catch is, there is often a thin line between those two...
    I really don't think there is.

The biggest problem with CTs that I have found is that, in preference to people doing something about a terrible system as stands, they choose to craft a fantasy or far fetched story and do little beyond post on t'internet about it - I wonder if they are a symptom of insanity brought about by a belief they are powerless to affect the real, so they twist it to an unreal level then rail against it whilst having an excuse for not acting ("its the invisible illuminati").
    Yup. I think it also encourages sloppy thinking. Hmm. Or perhaps it just demonstrates it. One or t'other. It's like.... you have people who are so incapable of thinking for themselves, that they believe everything the government/society/the media tells them. Then they discover conspiracy theories, and start believing anything a conspiracy theorist tells them. And apparently, this represents free thinking! Rather than look rationally at the evidence and think the problem through, they start with an immediate bias towards the conspiracy theory, assume it's true, and look for evidence to support it, discounting anything that doesn't.

Originally Posted by Naeni
    People lie. Every day.

It's ridiculous to think that Governments do not lie!
    Who said that governments don't lie?

Who said that governments don't lie?
    Govts dont lie?!

Pass it on; Govts dont lie

Again, it depends how you define a "conspiracy". The theories that are currently labelled "conspiracy theories" are far more implausible and unlikely and on a far grander scale than any conspiracy that's been "revealed" in the past.
    But I remember a time when there were those who said that global warming was a rumour spread by c.t's. I tend to believe the worst until I see evidence to the contrary. I try to believe in the best in people but when it comes down to large organisations and governments, it always come down to money.
    Kiss My Aura Dora.

Originally Posted by matty
    But I remember a time when there were those who said that global warming was a rumour spread by c.t's.
    Not me.

I tend to believe the worst until I see evidence to the contrary.
    Well that's a mistake. You should believe the conclusion that the evidence leads you to. Anything else is an assumption and not based on fact.