Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i grow grass indoors?

can i grow grass indoors?

we got a guinea pig today - Pickle - and we're keeping her as an indoor pet til we move into our own place (Mr Fox took a previous guinea from the garden a few years ago) but i'd like her to have fresh grass - for now i'm going to pick it from the garden but if it can be done i'm going to have a little patch for her to graze on indoors...

surely one of you crazy hippies have grown grass indoors?
    not your average girl...

Using the force baby... Perthite's Avatar
    hahaha i was totally going ot go on a mod rant for you asking about growing cannabis, then i realise you really meant garden grass!

i guess its possible, needs sunlight though.
    Everything has changed.

Majorette Gurl The Original Laney's Avatar
    I've seen in some pet shops that you can get grass growing kits for animals
    Queen Geek, Funniest Member, Dippiest Member 2006
    Queen Geek 2008 Laney in a Past Life

lol @ perthite

thanx laney - i'll do some googling...
    not your average girl...

I know some sites with loads of info on growing grass indoors but you'd end up with a very stoned guinea pig :harhar:

Would this help?

tekno thats shit hot! fab invention but it says it only needs cutting once a year - she might troff it all in one sitting!
    not your average girl...

No problem ... can't think why it would take so long to grow... maybe if you got a daylight bulb in your room it would grow faster...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHippy
    I know some sites with loads of info on growing grass indoors but you'd end up with a very stoned guinea pig :harhar:
    not quite the effect i'm looking for!
    not your average girl...

not your average girl...

that is SUCH a cute picture

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

How tame is Ukhippy becoming when grass really does mean grass
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

But we all assumed that it was the other type of grass!
    Love is not all wine and roses, sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by elfqueenofrohan
    that is SUCH a cute picture

Nice salad, but the meat needs cooking longer
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

Comment of the day goes to Coyote! PMSL!

You could grow it outdoors in seed trays and bring one in for her to eat then swap it for another when it starts getting yucky.

Athena
    Am I the only person who immediately thought of grass grass here?

pfffft...

then again i probabaly am the only one typing with a guinea pig on the lap!

Another alternative could be to do what I do...pick some from the garden/park/wherever and drop it in, and also put the piggy on the grass in a pen, and maybe supervise? I find foxes tend to come out at night, so maybe if was only put out for an hour or so in the middle of the day...piggies benefit from being outside, though it is getting a bit too cold now!

I'd also like to take this oppertunity to make my bog standard rant/advice. Guinea pigs should generally be kept with at least one more of their species, so the best thing you can get her is another guinea pig, it won't take much more cleaning or cost and will make your piggy so much happier.

naeni you'tre preaching to the conveted my lovely - experienced pig owner of 10 years!

the woman in the pet shop wouldnt let us buy 2 with the cage we were getting - she wouldnt have it that i have an indoor run for them to spend the majority of the day in and the cage is for sleeping /when i'm out and that i know what i'm doing (i appreciate their checking but in this case they are a bit off)

so we're going to another pet shop tomorrow to find another piggy to live with pickle...i am reliably informed that if they are young i can bond them over a few days (and if not i'm prepeared to let them become neighbours until they are friends)

we were originally going to rehome piggies but the lady we spoke to wasn't happy they wouldnt have a 4x2 cage either so it came to nothing - then Mr P saw Pickle in the petshop where we got the cage and couldnt leave her there...

ETA: Naeni can i see some pics of your piggles?
    not your average girl...

Athena
    Quote Originally Posted by JPumpkin
    naeni you'tre preaching to the conveted my lovely - experienced pig owner of 10 years!

the woman in the pet shop wouldnt let us buy 2 with the cage we were getting - she wouldnt have it that i have an indoor run for them to spend the majority of the day in and the cage is for sleeping /when i'm out and that i know what i'm doing (i appreciate their checking but in this case they are a bit off)

so we're going to another pet shop tomorrow to find another piggy to live with pickle...i am reliably informed that if they are young i can bond them over a few days (and if not i'm prepeared to let them become neighbours until they are friends)

we were originally going to rehome piggies but the lady we spoke to wasn't happy they wouldnt have a 4x2 cage either so it came to nothing - then Mr P saw Pickle in the petshop where we got the cage and couldnt leave her there...

ETA: Naeni can i see some pics of your piggles?
    have you heard of C&C cages? they're very good an easy to make, worth a google.

young girly piggies will 90% bond in about 5 minutes

What an odd pet shop! Surely following that they wouldn't have sold you any at all?

My gallery is FULL to the brim of piggy pictures

I only have one left now, Mr Steve, and he mauls other piggies, so I've made an exception and promised to give him extra attention!

Happy PIgging!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieAnne
    But we all assumed that it was the other type of grass!
    was the only reason i originally clicked on the thread.

i haven't! i'll do some research and i'm so glad to hear that about young girly piggies...i cant wait to get Pickle a playmate tomorrow...

it was weird at the pet shop - she would only let us take 1 with the size of cage we bought as she said it was ok (in her opinion) spacewise for 1 and 1 only...i'm happy they will have enough space - the run is 4' by 3'

i'm going to make a picnic for Mini P new Missy Pig and Pickle to have down the garden if the weather is nice in a couple of days
    not your average girl...

Naeni we found a friend for Pickle today - after visiting a few shops we found Pumpkin (i know but she's pumpkin coloured and it sounds good with Pickle) we introduced them on neutral territory and they're now in the cage eating and generally being pigs...hopefully it was as easy as that...

i'm keeping a close eye on them but are there any noises/behaviour i should watch out for which might forewarn of trouble? my research on coupling seems to have a hole in it as far as thats concerned...
    not your average girl...

Athena
    Quote Originally Posted by JPumpkin
    Naeni we found a friend for Pickle today - after visiting a few shops we found Pumpkin (i know but she's pumpkin coloured and it sounds good with Pickle) we introduced them on neutral territory and they're now in the cage eating and generally being pigs...hopefully it was as easy as that...

i'm keeping a close eye on them but are there any noises/behaviour i should watch out for which might forewarn of trouble? my research on coupling seems to have a hole in it as far as thats concerned...
    girls are pretty fine if they're getting on now then there should be no problem. I've never had to seporate girls and I've had a good fair few come in and out of my barn..at one point I had about 15 girls all in one pen, no problems, Now and again they will bicker, just a little nip like "go away!" and then they forget about it 5 seconds later!

It's the males that have problems, they seem to either love or hate each other, wheras the girls are a lot more easy going and generally get on with anybody!

Sometimes males APPEAR to get on when they are munching happily but after a few hours it all turns sour....theres a very rare possibility that this will happen, but its minute. Just keep an eye on them that's all.

As a rule of thumb I generally use "it's okay as long as there is no blood"

The first time I put two pairs of girls together there wa sa bit of a boxing match going on so I withdrew them, but the second time I left them to it after I realised they weren't doing each other any harm...just mental harm! Just establishing who was boss by threats really. They were all great friends after that!

As for warning signs...chattering teeth means "i vant to keeel you piggeh!" as it's a threat that they're a bigger and better piggy, but sometimes it is just a threat, like the same as a person going "oh fuck off!" and the other backs away, but if you witness this its best to keep watch for alittle while, as this can lead to fights. A low rumbling sound is a mean sound, but again, piggies in happy reltionships do this now and again to assert their dominance, but if these two things are happening a lot then keep an eye out. They can also puff all their hair up to appear larger and more threatening!

If they're fighting, try not to seporate with your barehands *looks at scarred hands!* as it hurts like hell! SHouting "OI!!!!" tends to frighten them apart, or use a newspaper to try and seporate them!

But you probbaly won't need to know all that, as theres a 99% chnace they will be best friends forever!

I should write a book

thanx lovely i feel i might be referencing the NaeniPigcyclopaedia some more over the next few days

Pickle is definitely asserting herself - there's been a bit of argy bargy all instigated by her - first there's 'conversation' which gets louder in volume then she makes herself look big and chases Pumpkin a small distance - Pumpkin seems happy to be dominated - i thought it might be this way as Pickle is older - the shops estimated Pumpkin as 12 weeks and Pickle as 15 weeks - it's looking positive as when i stick my great mit in there they both run to the same house and Pickle will allow Pumpkin to be in the bed with her...
    not your average girl...