THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Recommended Reading for Pregnancy and Birth

Recommended Reading for Pregnancy and Birth

This is a thread for recommendations of books for other mothers- and fathers-to-be to read. Please only include books you've actually read (or are currently reading), and give a breif summary of why you're recommending them. If you can, include both the title and author's name.

My first three suggestions are:

"Your Vegetarian Pregnancy" by Dr. Holly Roberts.

I know this isn't an issue for everyone, but if you are veggie, vegan, or limit your consumption of meat, this might be of interest to you. It does include a month by month summary of what happens to you and the baby as the pregnancy progresses, but for me, what was most useful was the section on nutrition, for each essential nutrient comparing a 'typical' vegetarian diet with a 'typical' meat eating one, and saying whether it was more common in a veggie diet, about the same as a meat eater's, or less common. It also gives suggstions of foods that contain nutrients you may otherwise be lacking, and suggests ways to counter the concerns/fears/nags of other people who may feel a veggie diet is unsuitable for a pregnant woman. The one downside is that it is American, so quite a lot of the references to the anti-natal medical care refer to what happens in the USA.

"The Best Friends' Guide to Pregnancy, Or Everything Your Doctor Won't Tell You" by Vicki Iovine.

This is quite light-hearted in places, and definately sets out to be a 'no shit' account of what happens. It doesn't aim to give you the medical facts, but focusses more on how you feel and to some extent how you look. Again it's American, but in the UK edition, the vocabualry has been altered (so it talks about 'dummies' and 'nappies', not 'pacifiers' and 'diapers'), and there are at least some acknowledgements that the UK medical system is different.

The third book is one that Chris recommends:
    "Fatherhood - The Truth" by Marcus Berkmann.

Asked why he was recommending it, he said "it's quite funny!". He also said it's quite 'bloke-ish' at times (don't know whether that's a good thing or not!), and is one of the few he's come across aimed specifically at men. He found it quite reassuring to read that fathers to be can be left feeling a bit redundant at times, but that this is nothing to worry about.
    Love is not all wine and roses, sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese.

Redhead Rollercoaster Enigma_rising's Avatar
    Birthing from within- Pam England and Rob Horowitz.

It's an amazing book for preparing emotionally for becoming a mother, even if you have already had children, its brilliant. there a huge section on making birth art, which can be really healing and exciting, and a lot of stuff on how to cope with labour, what to expect mentally not just physically. it also includes stuff on maintaining your relationship with your partner through the huge changes you experience in having a child, which many books leave simply to 'make time for eachother' this is far more realistic and practical. As a doula i'd like every woman to read this book. theres a section on pain management techniques which i'm not too sure on, but may be brilliant for some women, it has a really caring and honest vibe, and doesnt preach at you too much, lol.
    Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

Redhead Rollercoaster Enigma_rising's Avatar
    lol, i know the guy who wrote fatherhood the truth, i have a signed copy, it is funny, but can be a bit odd at times, might be great for men but i found it a little bit 'wey hey the lads' for my taste. but then im a woman, lol and i supose men do need lighthearted pregnancy bumph at times too. its a good read but dont take it too seriosly.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

Divine Light princesstigermouse's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    by Deepak Chopra.

This one is best to read right from when you're baby is still a glint in your eye, so to speak, as it's written to guide you from the planning stages of hoping for a child right through to bonding with your newborn. It's not a book of practical facts about fetal development and so on, it's about your emotional and spiritual journey, and how to do best by yourself, each other, and your growing baby.

It has some useful info regarding nutrition and exercise as well, but mostly I see it as a guided healing journey.

Also available as an audiobook.
    Last edited by princesstigermouse; 13-04--2008 at 03:16 PM.
    xx spring xx

spiritual midwifery by ina may gaskin
    Love alot,Trust a few
    but always paddle your own canoe.

Thread on Ina May Gaskin (with more info about her books)
    Love is not all wine and roses, sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese.

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Love Ina May
    me mum's got my copy at moment
    Ina May's book helped me massively when I read it and am looking forward to reading it again after Mum's finished it

Birthing from Within is also proving great help for me but maybe not for everyone - i reckon good book for creative sensitive people with previous birth trauma's to deal with or first time mum's wanting to undo societal and familial conditioning about birth.

Lee's got

Tis a good book for first time dad's especially but first time parent's in general cos of the humorous (like a car manual) way it's set out, got loads of excellent advice and tips and I think I will use it for reference further on in the pregnancy and when bubs comes
    Tis dinky little book n all so a good changing bag reference book
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

Can highly recommend the April 2008 issue of Prima Baby & Pregnancy.

It has some fantastic articles on Birthing positions and C-sections in particular

Also Hypno Birthing has some fantastic information about what a hypnotic state actually is and loads n loads of stuff about breathing.. i can't wait to use some of the techniques when I am birthing
    I think it would especially make sense to anyone who is familiar with hands on healing work as the stuff about breathing is stuff you already know but maybe wouldn't necessarily remember to do at the time

Heavenly Creature
    Bestfeeding by Mary Renfrw, Suzanne Arms, Chloe Fisher

not cheap but I learnt loads from it and use it as reference book

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    --- Posting to reopen the thread ---