THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sewing machine instructions...

First bit.

My machine is a toyota, so it might be quite similar to yours
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OK this is what my sewing machine looks like:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It has a removable 'bit' that fits in the front

The spool on the left is the bottom bobbin, the silver case it fits in is on the right, and this is the space where it fits

CLose up

Love is not all wine and roses, sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese.

How to wind thread on the bottom bobbin.

You need to look at this part, which is on the top. On my machine you pull up the siver spindles (with red felt circles round them) from the top when you use them. On my mum's machine they're fixed on the back.

On the right hand side of your machine you'll have 2 wheels. Hold the outer wheel still and turn the inner wheel anti-clockwise. this disconnects the needle, you'll need to do it up before you start sewing.

Put your reel of thread on a long spindle. Put an empty bobbin on the short spindle and slide it across to the right

We're going to look at this part next (in the next post, I can only attach 4 photos in 1 go)

Divine Light princesstigermouse's Avatar
    Ah yes, I get the bottom bobbin part! That makes sense!
    xx spring xx

Take the end of the thread round the circular thing and then back round the bobbin. For some reason I think you should do this in a kind of figure 8 configuration, but I don't remember why. Press the foot peddle and it will spin the bobbin, winding thread on to it. When it's full, stop (or it may stop automatically), and cut the thread. Don't forget to do up the dial in the centre of the wheel on the right. EDIT: and slide the short spidle back to the left.

Hold the bobbin case in your left hand with the little protuding bit on the top.

hold the bobbin in your right hand like this with the thread coming towards you

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AnnieAnne; 13-07--2008 at 07:29 AM.

Sorry these close ups aren't so clear.

Put the bobbin in the case. Pull the end of the thread through the little slot:

and under the flat metal plate so that it come out of the long hole on the case.

Open the little 'door' on the front of the bobbin case. This holds the bobbin inside.

Still holding the door, put the bobbin case into the bottom of the machine, with the little sticky out bit at the top. If you get it the right way round it'll fit in perfectly. If it falls out again, you haven't got it in at the right angle. Let go of the little door, and close up the flap at the bottom of the machine. DOn't worry if the end of the thread is sticking out of the flap.

Now the top thread:

YOur reel of thread is probably still on the top of the machine (put it back if it's not). Take the end of the thread across the top of the machine and under this bit. I don't know what it's called. It will have a slot in it, you can just pull it through, you don't need to poke the end through the hole

I couldn't get a clear picture of the next bit, so I'll try to describe it.
    The thread turns through a right angle and goes between 2 metal plates on the top of the machine.

The thread comes down the front of the machine and you pull it up through the slot in this fixed metal thing and so it's under the springy bit of wire

The next step involves the lever that moves up and down and is shaped like this. On my machine, it's very hidden inside, and the only way I could get a picture was to open the part of the machine where the light is. DON'T DO THIS! I only did it to show you what I'm taking about.

The thread goes through the slot and the hole.

Pull the thread through the loop on the front of the machine just above the needle

and behind the little loop right by the top of the needle

Thread the needle EDIT: if the needle is down, so you can't get at the eye, turn the wheel at the right anti-clockwise (top towards you) until you can do it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AnnieAnne; 12-07--2008 at 07:42 PM.

YOu need the foot in the 'up' position now. There will be a lever like this on the back which lifts it. Pull the thread through the slot on the foot.

Hold the end of the thread fairly firmly with your left hand. With your right hand, turn the wheel on the right to make the needle move down. You need to turn anti-clockwise (ie., top towards you). Make the needle go down once and comme back up again, all the time holding the thread in your left hand. when the needle is up, pull on the thread you're holding, and it will pull a loop of thread up from the bottom bobbin. pull on this loop until the end of the thread comes out (sometimes I find it's easier to kind of 'hook' it with a pin or something).

YOu should now have two threads, one from the top and one from the bottom. Each time you start sewing you need to hold on to both of them until you've done one or two stitches

Now, did that all make sense or do I need to clarify any bits

Thank you

I think it makes sense... what I'm gonna do is get Mr Mousey to move the table and machine next to the PC (too heavy for me
    ) so I can look at this while I do it...
    xx spring xx

Ok, so the thread from the bottom doesn't need to be threaded through the needle?

EDIT: duh, it's OK, you don't need to answer that dumb question.

Gonna test it now...
    xx spring xx

So when I am ready to start sewing, should the top thread and bottom thread be linked together or should they be separate, cos what I am doing is ending up with them looped together, so obviously I can't actually put the fabric under the needle to sew...

should I have one thread which is at the bottom and not interacting with the needle, and then the top thread through the needle?
    xx spring xx

No, I can't seem to do it.
    xx spring xx

I have ended up with a tangled mess....

xx spring xx

Sorry, had to go and have dinner.

Right, only the top thread goes through the needle.

The two threads lie seperately, the bottom one under the fabric, the top one only goes through the needle and lies on top. If they end up looped together, you need to untangle them before you start sewing.

The most common cause of me getting a tangle like in your photo is putting the bobbin in the case backwards. You need to do it in the way I described in post 28. Are you left handed, by any chance? for some reason, this seems to be easier for a right handed person to do. Check you've got the bobbin in the right way. Also check you've pushed the case all the way into the machine. Mine sort of makes a 'click' that I feel as much as hear when it's right. The other possibility that springs to mind is are you turning the wheel the right direction when you pick up the bottom thread and when you start sewing?

Having said all that, my machine just does this occaisionally with no obvious cause. Taking the bottom bobbin out, getting rid of all the thread which has tangled itself round the inner workings of the machine and putting it back in again usually fixes whatever is wrong.
    Last edited by AnnieAnne; 12-07--2008 at 10:10 PM.

Thank you

Mr Mousey made me promise not to touch the thing again til tomorrow as I got a bit cross and said words ruder than "bloody"
    but I shall give it another go in the morning!
    xx spring xx

meh this thread now makes my phone number look a bit pathetic lol

well done anne for your photos must have taken ages

is there some way this thread could be made a sticky for referene on how to thread a sewing machine

i'm sure when i get mine out and up and running i'll need this too, and that was an amazing set of instructions.

Have you had another try? if so, how did you get on?

I realised I didn't say in my instructions that you need to put the foot down on the cloth before you start sewing. Don't think it would cause these types of problems but it's another possibility, I suppose.

Hey lady
    I have not tried it yet, but will do when I get back from photos if poor Fibi ever makes it here! I did know to put the foot down before I started sewing so it wasn't that...
    xx spring xx

I untangled the mess but still have no idea what the matter is... and when I start trying to sew, the foot is holding the fabric down really tightly so it doesn't move along like it should
    xx spring xx

Let me have a think about this, 'cos I know I've had problems with the foot gripping the fabric too tightly, but I can't remember what the solution is.... but it might come back to me what I did.

Ok, and when I am used the pedal to get it to sew just now, it wasn't actually sewing... the top thread was going in and out and then just sliding out of the fabric again... and the needle broke. I give up.
    xx spring xx

Originally Posted by AnnieAnne
    Let me have a think about this, 'cos I know I've had problems with the foot gripping the fabric too tightly, but I can't remember what the solution is.... but it might come back to me what I did.
    Thankee
    xx spring xx