THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Pregnancy FAQ - got a query? Check here first

Pregnancy FAQ - got a query? Check here first

This is an attempt to collate the combined wisdom of the women (and some men) of UK Hippy with regard to preganancy and birth. Some of the posts are from people who are qualified as midwives and doulas. Others are from people who know what it's like because they have been through the experiences themselves, usually as parents. Still others are from other members who have something helpful to say.

As some of the same themes keep coming up, I've put links to them all together in one place. Plus, there's a wealth of useful information here, some of which gets missed 'cos it's not on the front page.

DISCLAIMER: This thread is for offering advice and sharing experiences only and is not intended as an alternative to proper, professional antenatal care.

Threads about conception

How can I increase my chances of getting pregnant?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My friend's just found she's unexpectedly pregnant. How can I support her? / I've just found that I'm unexpectedly pregnant. what should I do?

What are the early signs of pregnancy?

Threads about sex

Is it safe to have sex/masturbate when you're pregnant?

Since I've got pregnant, I can't orgasm - is that normal?

I want to have sex all the time - is that normal?

What are good positions for sex when you have a bump?

I want to have sex, but it's uncomfortable/painful - why?
    Feeling small:

Sore around the vagina:

Threads about health and the discomforts of pregnancy

How can I deal with morning sickness?

I have indigestion - what can I do?

I am consitpated - what can I do?

some discussion in this thread, particularly related to being a veggie:

I have diarrhoea - is this normal? What can I do?

The baby's in an uncomfortable position - what can I do?
    The baby's high up:

The baby's low down and might be engaged:
    =27066

The baby's kicks are really painful - is this OK?

I feel tired/run down all the time - what can I do?

How can I make my stretchmarks more comfortable?

My stretchmarks have become very itchy and/or are developing wheals - what is going on?

I have scars on my abdomen from previous surgery - what can I do to make them more comfortable as my tummy expands?

What can you tell me about Braxton-Hicks contractions/practice contractions?

I keep having nosebleeds - should I be worried?

I have hayfever/allergies - what can I take?

How can I treat myself for a cough/cold?

How can I treat myself for a bad bruise?

I think I may have thrush - should I be concerned?

I have cystitis / a urinary tract infection - what can I do?

It's painful when I walk - why?

Using reiki to help:

I feel breathless all the time - is this normal?

I seem to have a lot of vaginal discharge - is this ok?

My pee has turned green! What's happening?

I am not putting on weight / I've lost weight - should I be worried?

I am getting cramp in my legs - what will help?

What do all these abbreviations in my antenatal notes mean?

Threads about the experience of pregnancy

Why is my bump smaller when I get up in the morning?

Why is my bump bigger on one side than the other?

At what point should I expect to feel the baby kicking?

I am a vegetarian/vegan - is there anything special I need to know?

Do you have any recommendations about what I wear while I'm pregnant?

What should/shouldn't I eat while I'm pregnant?
    Eating lots:

Unpasturised dairy:

I have a bicornate uterus - do you have any experiences to share?

What do pregnant women look like?
    At 19 weeks:

At 6 months:

At 8 months:

At various stages:

What do babies look like in the womb? (scan pictures)
    At 12 weeks:

at various stages:

My bump's making a clicking sound - what's going on?

My boobs are lumpy/my boobs are leaking - why?

What sort of music does the baby enjoy?

Folk knowledge - how can I predict the sex of my baby?

Cravings and the sex of the baby:

Threads about how we feel

Is Birth Art helpful?

Help! I get very angry and I am nasty to the people I love. What's going on?

I am struggling with work now I'm pregnant / my employers are being unsympathetic now I'm pregnant - do you have any advice?

I don't like/am concerned about my midwife/doctor/medical professional/the way I've been treated at hospital - what can I do?
    I saw my midwife and now I feel scared:

I've noticed a reduction in my baby's movements and having spoken to my midwife, now I feel worried:

I can't explain what it feels like - does anyone else feel like this?

I have food cravings - what can I do?

links to the sex of the baby:

Everything tastes odd - is this normal?

I am worried about how I'll cope financially when I have the baby - can you reassure me?

Entitlement to maternity allowance:

How can I deal with other people's expectations about me being pregnant, when they are different to my own?

Mainly about whether digeridoos can damage the baby's hearing:

What has surprised you about being pregnant?

Dealing with loss associated with pregnancy

Threads about concerns for the baby

I'm worried because the person I share my bed with has night terrors. How can I keep my baby safe?

At my scan they said the baby has a cyst on its brain - what does this mean? Should I be worried?

Is pot safe in pregnancy?

Which herbs are safe in pregnancy, and which should I avoid?

Is it safe to use henna while I'm pregnant?

I may have been exposed to chickenpox - should I be worried?

My pelvis is creaking! What's happening?

I am (going) overdue - should I worry?

It's early in my pregnancy and I am having spotting - should I be worried?

Threads about preparing for the birth

How can I prepare my perineum for giving birth?/How can I avoid/minimise tearing?

When is my EDD (estimated due date)?/What does "full term" mean?
    "Full term":

I don't want to give birth in a hospital. Do I have any other options?
    Home birth:

Dicussion of freebirth/unassisted birth in these threads:

(n.b. may not be legal in this country).

I want to write a birth plan - do you have any suggestions?
    Birth Plan for home birth:

Birth Plan for hospital birth (including vaginal delivery, emergency caesarian and planned caesarian):

Birth plan for birth in a midwife lead unit:

What should I take to hospital with me?

My baby's breach/lateral - what can I do?

Optimal foetal positioning:

Threads about giving birth

What is giving birth actually like?
    Lots of stories on this thread:

Experience of a waterbirth:

With lots of photos (fairly graphic):

Help! I'm worried about contractions - reassure me.

What are my options for pain management during the delivery?

Reiki:

TENS machines:
    Use of a TENS machine if you have a tattoo:

Drug treatments:
    Spinal blocks and epidurals with a lower back tattoo:

What should I do/what do I need to know if my baby is born prematurely?

Do you have any advice for labour?

Advice for Dads/birth partners:

I may need to be induced. What can you tell me?

I am having a planned (elective) caesarian. What can you tell me?

Afterwards
    What happens to the umbilical cord?

How will my body be different after I've had my baby?

When will my period come back?

What about if I have a tear/episiotomy?

Are there any feebies I can get?

I am worried about breast feeding. What can you tell me?

Last edited by AnnieAnne; 03-12--2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Love is not all wine and roses, sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese.

Ok, I reckon I've just about finished fiddling about with this.

Post your comments here or send me a pm

Wow AnnieAnne well done! You've done an amazing job putting all this together

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Absolutely brilliant honey
    only thing is there is no link for about c-sections...is that cos we not got a thread yet? loads of love Sarah xxxx
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

Divine Light princesstigermouse's Avatar
    Amazing!!!
    xx spring xx

Originally Posted by Sarah
    Absolutely brilliant honey
    only thing is there is no link for about c-sections...is that cos we not got a thread yet? loads of love Sarah xxxx
    That's right, we haven't..... but I think there might be some coming up, 'cos at the moment I look as though I might be heading that way. I think there is some info kind of burried in a few of the threads that are largely about something else, but I haven't got round to finding it yet.

EDIT: there are a couple of other questions that don't have threads either, I might take them out, as it's confusing to have them there.

ooooh get your head down little morris dancing babby!!!

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    --- Posting to reopen the thread ---

This is a brilliant resource!! just been reading through some of these old threads from when we had the uk hippy baby boom
    some excellent discussions and lots of great information and advice
    If I get time I'll try and hook some more threads out for bookmarking... I dunno if anyone ever uses these links but they are really worth looking through

My man love you willows epona_greenleaf's Avatar
    Having had four c sections I can give a personal view on it, if anyone has any questions.
    Willows girl love him so much :)
    "I object to violence, because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does it permanent." GHANDI

Redhead Rollercoaster Enigma_rising's Avatar
    What a fantastic idea, only just found the thread, thank you so much for putting all this together, i'll certainly be coming back to it as a resource
    Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

that would be fantastic Taz!!
    i'll stick up a few blogs i've done as links too
    xxxx