THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cake Recipe Thread

ooo nice thread!! i dont think i got anything to add, most things i make go wrong so i stick to a same weight everything plain sponge with jam n icing yum yum.

if anyone could recommend a simple yummy cake or anything else involving apples that would be great as we have a whole fridge full of apples and we cant eat them fast enough. ooo also if anyone has a recipe for like them cookies u buy in the bags in supermarkets that are squidgy with white choc n other yummy scrummy things,they are so yum yum yum!
    Who ever put that picture here is very witty and awesome! :D

ok so it's not my recipe, it's a Hugh Fearnely Wittingstall one..(god i love that man!)
    but these brownies are to die for! plus a really good sneaky way of getting the kiddies to eat veg
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chocolate and Beetroot Brownies

Ingredients

• 250g/10oz good, dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
    • 250g/10oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for greasing
    • 250g/10oz caster sugar
    • 3 free-range eggs
    • 150g self-raising flour (we used wholemeal self-raising)
    • 250g beetroot, boiled until tender, peeled and grated

1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a baking tin of approximately 20 x 30 x 3cm and line the bottom with baking parchment.
    2. Break up the chocolate into pieces, cut the butter into cubes then mix them up a bit in a heatproof bowl. As the oven begins to warm up, put the bowl onto one of the shelves for a few minutes until the chocolate and butter starts to melt. Stir, and put back into the oven for a few more minutes to melt completely.
    3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until combined, then beat in the melted chocolate and butter until smooth. Gently fold in the flour then the beetroot – be careful not to overmix or it will make the brownies tough.
    4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top with a spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes. A knife or skewer pushed into the middle should come out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Don't be tempted to overcook them! Remove the tin from the oven and leave on wire rack to cool before cutting into squares.
    Learning....

omg!!! I've just seen this thread! I'm heaven!!
    addicted to chickpeas

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by fairygirl
    omg!!! I've just seen this thread! I'm heaven!!
    ditto!

I've never cooked beetroot before. Do you boil them whole then, before peeling?

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hannah
    a recipe for like them cookies u buy in the bags in supermarkets that are squidgy with white choc n other yummy scrummy things,they are so yum yum yum!
    No idea where this recipe is from, but it's excellent - it really works!:

American Chocolate Chip Cookies

100g/ 3 1/2 oz rolled oats
    125g/ 4 1/2 oz plain flour
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    50g/ 2 oz bar milk chocolate
    100g / 3 1/2 oz butter at room temperature
    100g / 3 1/2 oz soft dark brown sugar
    100g / 3 1/2 oz caster sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
    115g / 4oz chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 F / Gas mark 5

Measure oats into a food processor or liquidiser. Whiz to a fine powder. Add flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt and whizz to mix. Add grated chocolate (or throw the bar in and whiz again). Pour the dry ingredients into a bowl, while you cream the butter with both sugars. Beat the egg and vanilla together in a cup, and then beat into the creamed butter mixture. Then add chocolate chips, and dry ingredients, mix well. Roll into balls the size of ping-pong balls and place them 5cm apart on a baking tray. Cover the tray with non-stick baking paper, if you have that sort of tray.

Bake for about ten minutes. They should have a golden colour, but still look a little underdone (this is what makes the lovely chewy soft texture). If you like them crisp, keep them in a bit longer. But they won't be as good. Trust me, taken them out sooner rather than later. Eat them while still warm, preferably in bed. Then start over again.

Originally Posted by Sarah
    Weigh 3 medium sized eggs on a set of scales...

If you have balance scales put ya eggs where the weights would usually go and weigh all ingredients to the weight of the eggs.. with an ordinary set of scales, weigh the eggs and then make a note of how much and weigh all other ingredients to the weight.....

That is a fail safe method for gettin correct ingredient quantities btw for any sponge type cake.
    well, everyday is a school day..........i never knew that!
    next time i make a cake i will use that method, and maybe my cakes will come out a bit more spongier, nice one sarah, thanks

im currently making pumpkin pie

if it goes well I shall share the recipe

Originally Posted by arlia
    im currently making pumpkin pie

if it goes well I shall share the recipe
    I love pumpkin pie - always cheated with the Libbys pumpkin in a can (with the recipe on the back) until a couple of years ago when I made one from scratch - yummy!!!! If I were back in the States now, the grocery stores would be full of them in time for Thanksgiving!
    Happiness is seeing your family extend to another generation!

yeah I saw on the internet that you guys ate them for thanksgiving. well I made one big one for the neighbours coming round for dinner tomorrow, and a little taster one for tonite

Im very pleased with it actually, considering I have never made pastry before, and have never made a pie before.

So here goes. I didnt actually measure most things, i just kinda guestimated it

Pumpkin Pie Recipe

Ingredients
    For the pastry: 1 part butter and 1 part lard with 3 parts plain soft wheat flour

For the filling:
    one whole pumpkin
    2 large eggs plus 1 yolk (use the white for another dish)
    muscavado sugar
    ground cinnamon
    grated nutmeg
    ground allspice
    grated fresh ginger
    285 ml double cream

Method
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
    2. put the lard and the butter in a large mixing bowl with double the amount of flour and pinch it till it gets gooey, then add small amounts of water until the contents of the bowl are evenly spread out and becomes dough like, roll the dough and place inside a greased pirex bowl.
    3. To make the filling, steam the pumpkin then place in a coarse sieve and press lightly to extract any excess water
    4. Then lightly whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl.
    5. Place the sugar, spices and the cream in a pan, bring to simmering point, giving it a whisk to mix everything together. Then pour it over the eggs and whisk it again briefly
    6. Now add the pumpkin pure, still whisking to combine everything thoroughly ( I cheated and put my mixture in a belnder )
    7. Then pour the filling into your pastry case and sprincle some cinnamon on it and bake for 35-40 minutes, by which time it will puff up round the edges but still feel slightly wobbly in the centre.

You can use that same pumpkin pie recipe and substitute sweet potatoes for the pumpkin. You just have to drain the potatoes a bit more than the pumpkin because they seem to hold more water. This variation is also loverly (and easier than working with the pumpkin).
    Happiness is seeing your family extend to another generation!

I have just found a recipe for pear cake (also works with apples) and I will give it a go in the next couple of days and deliver my verdict! It has a buttery, sugary topping...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by Shoshana
    I've never cooked beetroot before. Do you boil them whole then, before peeling?
    yes hun i boil whole with sugar in the water the peel should just come away when ready
    voted nicest member..........thats what they think

Pear Cake

So, I finally got round to making the Pear Cake, so here is the recipe:

Apple or Pear Cake

1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    3 eggs
    1 cup oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla essence
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    4 cups raw diced apples or pears

Topping:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 lb butter

Mix all cake ingredients by hand in order shown.
    Pour into a greased pan.
    Bake at 350F (Just under 200C) for 45 minutes.
    Mix the topping ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil for 3 minutes.
    Pour over cake and return to oven for 5 minutes.

I'm just waiting for the completed effort to finish now. It made a really gloopy mixture (lots of oil and moist pears) so it took longer to cook than the stated 45 minutes. I think that is because I put it in a square, high sided pan so it was quite deep. It might work out better in a much shallower, wider pan, even a high sided baking tray.

Fingers crossed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brilliant, thanks Gilly
    I may have to try that after Christmas with apples!

Originally Posted by Owl Knees
    Brilliant, thanks Gilly
    I may have to try that after Christmas with apples!
    I have just tried it and oh my good god!! Its pretty amazing. The topping sets into gooey toffee wonderfulness and the cake has lovely warm pear pieces in it, I'm in cake heaven!!

I think apples will work really well, will give that a go myself at some point. Dice the fruit really chunky, I did little pieces but I think that finding a bit soft warm piece of fruit would be even better!

Chocolate Peanut Fudge

I made some bread made with bananas in (see other thread) which involved evaporated milk. I only needed a little bit and had a big tin, so I have just used the rest to make fudge! Its cooling and setting so, so I will be able to give my verdict later.

Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
    600 g white sugar
    235 ml evaporated milk
    20 g unsweetened cocoa powder
    65 g creamy peanut butter
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a 3 quart saucepan, combine white sugar, evaporated milk, and cocoa. Bring to a hard boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking until it reaches the soft ball stage, 234 degrees F (112 degrees C). 2. Stir in peanut butter until well blended. Pour mixture into a buttered 8x8 inch baking dish. Cool, and cut into pieces.
    From Supercook.com

Well, it seems I didn't heat the sugar hot enough (I need a proper confectionery thermometer, I was making do with a meat probe!) so the fudge didn't set hard, but rather really stiff and gooey, have a look!

It does taste really good though and just melts in the mouth, so I don't mind too much.........

OMG all my cakes taste like cardboard I suck so hard at baking I really wish I could cook my kids would love it.
    does anyone know how to make normal vanilla fudge.
    Or vanilla toffee a recipie that I simply can not get wrong honest I really am shitter than shit I feel so sorry for Mr.Cooksey I think he would love it if I succeeded instead of coming into the loung with sad face clutching a plate of devastated mirrangues and fairy cakes that have risen so much they have all merged into one.
    woe is me
    ..:*"Chasing fire~flys" *:..

Mmmm this banana & date loaf recipe I got last week is really good.. Here we go:

3oz marg
    4oz sugar
    12oz flour (I use 1/2 white, 1/2 wholemeal)
    heaped tsp baking powder
    3 eggs
    3 nanas
    handful of dates (chopped into 2 or 3 bits)
    tsp salt

Method:

cream fat & sugar
    add eggs & beat them in
    fold in the flour baking powder and salt
    mash the nanas & beat them into the mix
    (tip - use a potato masher for the nanas. Works a treat)
    Add the chopped up dates and stir them in

Put into a greased loaf tin and put into a medium oven for around 1 1/4 hrs

Enjoy

MARBLED CHOCOLATE AND VANILLA CAKE.

This is a yummy cake and very easy, i have a fan oven, but have put the time in for a typical oven. As normal I have used butter, you use whatever you would typically use and free range eggs,plus fair trade chocolate and coccoa.

225g butter
    75g caster sugar
    4 medium sized eggs
    225g self rising flour
    5ml vanilla essence
    75g plain chocolate
    15ml milk
    1 tbsp coccoa powder

Turn your oven on to warm 180c/350f/gas 4.
    Line a cake tin.

Cream together the butter and sugar.
    Beat eggs in gradually.
    Fold in the flour, then divide the mixture into two bowls.
    Add vanilla essence to one bowl, only, mix it in.
    Melt the chocolate with the milk and add to the other bowl with the coccoa powder, mix well.
    Place alternative spoonfuls of the vanilla and chocolate mixture into the cake tin, until it is all placed in there.
    Take a spoon or chop stick or skewer, whatever you have to hand really and lightly swirl the two mixtures together, so that they combine but are not mixed
    Bake in the middle of the oven for 3o to 35 minutes, before you open the oven.
    Test with a skewer to see if it is cooked in the middle,you may need a bit more time depending on your own oven.

Noobie

One pan chocolate fudge cake

Here's a recipe I got online ages ago - can't remember where I got it. It's vegan, really delicious and even better, you mix it and bake it in the same dish so very little washing up!

1 cups sugar
    cup cocoa
    1 tsp. bicarb of soda
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp vinegar
    1 cups water
    cup oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    tsp salt

10-12 servings

1. Preheat oven to 400oF/ 200oC/ gas mark 6.
    2. In an ungreased 9 x 13 pan- yes UNgreased, sift all dry ingredients.
    3. Add the liquids and stir just until blended.
    4. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
    5. Frost with your favorite frosting, cake is extremely moist so care must be taken that you don't tear up the top of the cake.

I bake it less time for a chocolate fudge type dessert - warm with cream, or if I want cake I bake it til a skewer comes out clean. Either way it's lovely.

old fashioned bread pudding

8 oz bread (5 - 6 thick slices), preferably brown, crusts on or off
    10 fl oz / 275 ml milk
    2 oz (50g) melted butter
    3 oz (75g) brown sugar
    1 beaten egg
    6 oz dried mixed fruit or just raisins/sultanas
    2 tsps mixed spice
    1 tbsp marmalade or rind n juice of an orange
    some nutmeg for the top

- preheat oven to 180
    - break the bread into small-ish pieces, put in a bowl and pour the milk over, stir well, and leave for about 1/2 hr
    - add everything except the nutmeg, and mix well
    - spread the mixture into a buttered baking dish and sprinkle the nutmeg over the top
    - bake for about 1 1/4 hours
    (- optional topping of more brown sugar once its out the oven)
    - revel in the joy of bread pudding coz its flippin lush

those purist amongst you can argue whether or not cheesecake is technically a cake but either was this is deeelish! and dead easy
    even the lovely miss gingernut managed to recreate it!

WHITE CHOCOLATE AND BERRY CHEESECAKE

YOU NEED:
    70g melted butter
    250g crushed digestives (hobnobs also work)
    600 grams full fat soft cheese (any brand, the cheap one is fine, just NOT low fat!)
    3 medium eggs
    150g caster sugar
    250g frozen berries ~ any! I like raspberries or the summer berries mix but whatever you like really..
    75g grated white chocolate
    few drops vanilla essence (not essential)

FIRSTLY:
    turn oven on to 180 C or about gas mark 6

put berries in a seive over a bowl to defrost

lightly grease a 9 inch, deep, non stick LOOSE BOTTOMED cake tin
    mix together melted butter and crushed biscuits and press into bottom of cake tin

put cream cheese in a bowl and beat in sugar and vanilla with a wooden spoon.

when smooth, beeat eggs in a seperate bowl then add to cheese mixture.

next add grated white chocolate and berries (reserving any juice) and stir gently with a metal spoon to avoid crushing berries too much.

pour mixture onto base and place in oven.

this can take from 45 minutes to an hour to cook so be patient and keep checking it.

the top should be risen and golden and when a sharp knife or skewer is inserted into the middle it should be clean and dry.
    If top cracks do not panic! that is normal.

when done, turn off oven, open door and to cool.

refrigerate in the tin for at least a couple of hours of preferable overnight.

the juice from the berries can be mixed with a bit of icing sugar and spooned over if liked.

make sure you run a sharp knife round the inside of the tin before turning it out

enjoy!

addicted to chickpeas