THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Cake Recipe Thread

This is a firm family favourite and takes only a few minutes to prepare and even less to consume, afterwards. They are so easy to make and there's not much washing-up afterwards...which in my view, is always a bonus
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fruit and nut slice

Ingredients

1 x 285g block of original tofu
    6oz melted margarine
    2 eggs
    8oz soft brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp salt
    8oz self-raising flour
    8oz dried fruit
    4oz chopped walnuts
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Method

1. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a blender (or mash up in a bowl if you don't possess a blender) to form a smooth(ish) batter

2. Fold in the flour, fruit and nuts until mixed.

3. Put mixture in a greased swiss roll tin and cook in a pre-heated oven 190C/375F/Gas 5 for approx 30 minutes. Five mins before the end of cooking sprinkle with a little sugar and return to the oven.

4. When cold cut into oblong slices...18-20 piece if you're stingy or 12 if you want a decent sized slice

5. Consume. They are very nutritious and have an amazing texture.
    Signatures smell!

Originally Posted by Nutty Jo
    glowingsunsets asked me for this recipe so I thought I'd share......

It's good for using up bananas that have over-ripened.

Banana ginger parkin

Ingredients

7oz plain flour
    2tsp bicarbonate of soda
    2 tsp ground ginger
    5oz medium oatmeal (I put porridge oats in the blender
    )
    4 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
    3oz margarine
    5oz golden syrup (or honey, if preferred)
    1 egg (beaten)
    3 ripe bananas (mashed)

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Grease & line a 7" x 11" baking tin.

2. Sift together the flour, bicarb & ginger and stir in the oatmeal. melt the sugar, margarine & syrup in a saucepan over a low heat, then stir into the flour mixture. beat in the egg and mashed bananas.

3. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for approx 50 minutes-1 hour until firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out and cut into squares.

4. Dust with icing sugar or if you're feeling creative make some glace icing and spoon over the top in a haphazard fashion.

5. Scoff with wild abandon (but they can be kept in a sealed container for up to 2 months
    .... yeh right, you'd need some self-control as they smell like syrup sponge pudding when they're baking!!
    )
    My boys loved them

I just made a big load of this to take to the gathering tomorrow, and some tiffin, just the pakoras to go now!
    addicted to chickpeas

This gluten-free lemon drizzle cake uses mashed potato in the recipe, which sounds interesting.....

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Ingredients
    • 200g butter , softened
    • 200g golden caster sugar
    • 4 eggs
    • 175g ground almonds (to make it nut free see below)
    • 250g mashed potatoes
    • zest 3 lemons
    • 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (Supercook does one)
    For the drizzle

• 4 tbsp granulated sugar
    • juice 1 lemon
    Method

1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
    2. Butter and line a deep, 20cm round cake tin.
    3. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating after each addition.
    4. Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder.
    5. Tip into the tin, level the top, then bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
    6. Turn out onto a wire rack after 10 mins cooling.
    7. Mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice together, then spoon over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
    8. Let the cake cool completely before slicing. (and scoffing
      )

Cheers, Rambo, for the recipe
    Signatures smell!

Rumble goes my belly

Can't wait to try some of these recipes!!!

i pinched it from river cottage.....

yummy pear and almond cake

Ingredients

• 150g unsalted butter, softened
    • 125g caster sugar
    • 2 medium eggs
    • 75g wholemeal self raising flour
    • 75g ground almonds
    • A good pinch of cinnamon

For the caramelised pears:

• 3 pears (reasonably firm, but not rock hard)
    • 25g unsalted butter
    • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
    Directions

1. Preheat oven to 170°C/gas 3. Grease a 20cm-diameter springform cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.

2. Peel, core and quarter the pears.

3. Melt the 25g butter in a frying pan big enough to take all the pear pieces, over a medium high heat. When it’s bubbling, add the sugar and stir gently until it has dissolved into the butter. Add the pears and cook gently, turning once or twice, until they have softened and are starting to colour – 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

4. In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with the caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in one egg at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour with each to stop the mix curdling.

5. Combine the remaining flour, the ground almonds and the cinnamon, and fold into the mixture. Scrape into the prepared tin. Arrange the pears on top and pour on any buttery juices left in the pan.

6. Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

7. Stand the cake in its tin on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes, then release the tin.
    Learning....

Yule Loaf

as i am house-bound today, i made this so it should be nice & ready for my solstice supper

14g Fresh Yeast or 2 tsp Dried Yeast
    500ml Luke Warm Water
    450g Strong White Flour
    Pinch of salt
    225g Castor Sugar
    225g Butter
    340g Currants
    110g Mixed Candied Peel
    2 Eggs, beaten
    2 Tsp Grated Nutmeg

Method: Sift flour and salt into a large, warmed mixing bowl. Either dissolve the fresh yeast onto the warm water or sprinkle the dried yeast onto the water first dissolving 1tsp of sugar in the water. The dried yeast has to be left for a few minutes to froth up. Add the yeast and water to the flour and stir. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to stand in a warm place for 1 hour. Cream the butter and sugar together and add this together with the peel, eggs, currants and nutmeg to the flour and yeast mixture. Stir very thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a well-greased 2lb loaf tin. Cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place until risen to the top of the tin. Bake for about 2 hours at 180 degrees Centigrade. The loaf should be golden in colour and firm to the touch. Cool and keep for about 2 weeks before using.
    * Go tell the sun * Go tell the rain * Something inbetween *
    * Is happening these days *

Sarah's digustingly disgusting chocolate cake in process...Made for No1 son's 21st birthday...

Cooked...

part of the great feast

for sarah!!
    xxx
    :waves: happy face? hope so, like them!!

mmmm disgustingly disgusting choc cake sounds and looks divine!

Originally Posted by seven
    mmmm disgustingly disgusting choc cake sounds and looks divine!
    try it.. you know you want to..

there's hardly any left.. it was truly gorgeous.. it seemed like a lot of cocoa, as I used five eggs, but it was worth it.. totally YUMMMMMMM!!
    :waves: happy face? hope so, like them!!

nice cake Claire. If I tried cooking with a laptop in the vicinity, I think it would end in tears!
    inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness

Cupcake recipe

8oz margarine
    8oz caster sugar
    4 lg eggs
    8oz plain flour (i used GF flour)
    2tsp baking powder (I used GF bp)
    icing or buttercream and sprinkles

Put all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk for 2 mins with an electric handmixer, or slightly longer by hand. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if the mix is too thick. Spoon into muffin cases but only half fill as they rise well. Bake for approx 20-25 mins at gas 4 until risen and slightly brown. Cool, ice, sprinkle then eat, eat eat!!!!
    Makes approx 18-20 cakes. You can halve the recipe if you want less cakes....but that would be madness, in my view!!!
    Signatures smell!

Originally Posted by 'twas me
    Cupcake recipe

8oz margarine
    8oz caster sugar
    4 lg eggs
    8oz plain flour (i used GF flour)
    2tsp baking powder (I used GF bp)
    icing or buttercream and sprinkles

Put all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk for 2 mins with an electric handmixer, or slightly longer by hand. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if the mix is too thick. Spoon into muffin cases but only half fill as they rise well. Bake for approx 20-25 mins at gas 4 until risen and slightly brown. Cool, ice, sprinkle then eat, eat eat!!!!
    Makes approx 18-20 cakes. You can halve the recipe if you want less cakes....but that would be madness, in my view!!!
    These are they....made them yesterday for my birthday, and they are so nom nom

Signatures smell!

i made a lemon and poppyseed cake if anyone wants the recipe? yummmmmmm!!
    Learning....

Originally Posted by Nutty Jo
    This gluten-free lemon drizzle cake uses mashed potato in the recipe, which sounds interesting.....

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Ingredients
    • 200g butter , softened
    • 200g golden caster sugar
    • 4 eggs
    • 175g ground almonds (to make it nut free see below)
    • 250g mashed potatoes
    • zest 3 lemons
    • 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (Supercook does one)

For the drizzle

• 4 tbsp granulated sugar
    • juice 1 lemon

Method

1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
    2. Butter and line a deep, 20cm round cake tin.
    3. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating after each addition.
    4. Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder.
    5. Tip into the tin, level the top, then bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
    6. Turn out onto a wire rack after 10 mins cooling.
    7. Mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice together, then spoon over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
    8. Let the cake cool completely before slicing. (and scoffing
      )

Cheers, Rambo, for the recipe
    I've made this, its really really nice.