THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cake Recipe Thread

Cake Recipe Thread

So the lovely Gillyflower has got me inspired to make this thread.
    Her cakes are oooberly yummy. I think I had one with apricots in when I saw PTM. and it was gorgeous.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have been thinking though I do tend to want a little snack now and then which is OK but I dont really want to be buying shop bought stuff anymore because there is always so much crap in it, or something that is not gonna be good for me plus I dont really like supermarkets and would prefer not t support them at all.

So please please please share all your yummy cake and naughty snack recipes
    so we can all learn.

This recipes is an absolute gift from the gods, it simple quick and lovely, my daughter found it when she was about 12 and it's a family favourite, you can change the filling or turn it into a chocalate cake by changing some of the flour for coco powder.

6oz butter well softened
    6oz self-rising flour
    6oz caster sugar
    1and a half teaspoons baking powder
    3 large eggs 1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence
    jam and whipped cream or fruit such as berries or whatever you fancy.

METHOD
    pre-heat oven to 180c/350f/gas 4. grease two 8in/20cms sandwich tins with butter and line base with baking paper

sift the flour and baking powder(don't skip this it makes the cake lighter) into a large bowl (try not to use plastic, for some reason it's never as good when we've used a plastic bowl, odd i know but true). Add the eggs, butter,sugar and the vanilla essence. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer or beat madly with a wooden-spoon. The mixture should be pale and creamy and soft enough to drop easily off a spoon (the more you beat it the better and paler it becomes) add a splash of WARM water if it doesn't drop off and beat till it does. (the better the quality the flour the easier this is )

spoon the mixture equally between the two tins, and level it off.

bake for 30 minutes. DON'T OPEN THE OVEN DOOR UNTILL THEN OR IT WILL SINK (think titanic, cos that's how fast it will sink, if you never trust me on anything trust me on this) After 30 mins you can check them, they should be risen, golden and shrinking from the sides of the tins. Gentlypress the middles - they should be firm but springy.

leave for a coupleof mins on the side, then slip a knife aroud the sides of each caketo loosen them. turn out onto a cake rack, peel off the paper carefully. leave them to cool.

spread one cake wiith the jam and the other with the cream (or whatever your filling them with) stick togethger. sift a little icing-sugar over the top.

ENJOY
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

are you only looking for cake recipes or any recipes for naughtiness, because i have an ace stove-top cookie recipe (no baking required).

ohhhhh yeah sounds fantastic

anything like cakes, or flapjacks n cookies :P

ok so here's my very naughty contribution ...

Carolina Delights

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine (roughly about 1/2 of block)

1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    2 1/2 cups oats

Combine sugar, butter, cocoa, and milk in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium - medium/high heat. Stirring frequently to prevent sticking.

Once at a boil, continue boiling for 1 1/2 min. (I usually don't stir much during this part but I do turn the heat down a bit to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan)

Remove from heat.

Add oats & peanut butter. Stir until mixed. Drop from teaspoon onto waxed baking paper and allow to set.

Cookies are best served while warm.

Takes no time at all to cook/prepare. 1 pan and 1 spoon clean up, and are so incredibly yummy. As you are spooning them out onto the baking paper you'll see the 'shine' on the mixture start to fade, which is a good sign that everything has gone smoothly and they will setup. Usually doesn't take long for them to set enough to eat either.
    Last edited by phoenix_bunny; 04-09--2008 at 06:25 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cornwall87

Just a quick question for phonix....are you using American cups, i know that sounds mad to some people, but i know Americans measure differently to us and not everyone will know that. Or can we just use any cup, so long as we measure every thing from the same size cup. I'm lucky as i have family there and they sent me a set of measuring cups.

Am going to make these as they sound yummy and sick daughter will love them as they have peanut butter in them. will let you know how i get on.

Yummy yummy yummy can't wait.

lulu ... um either ones i guess .. i don't know i bought a set of measuring cups at Tescos and use those .. didn't know there was any difference between those and 'American' cup measurements ... only thing i ever changed in the recipe from the American version to British version was it used to say 'one stick butter' (but well obviously over here you can't get sticks of butter

oh the main key in the recipe is the cooking time of the boiling mixture .. it is essential it boils for at least 90 seconds. (if i'm making more than one batch at a time i will cook it for about 2 minutes) .. it's a bit like making fudge really at this stage, and that is what allows the cookies to set properly.

mmm .. now i might have to make some for myself .. darn it

thanks hun. I didn't know you could get cups here now. I've been swopping recipes with family over the pond for 20 years and cups was very confusing to me to begin with. so i just wanted to clear it up for anyone who didn't know. I know the history of why Americans use cups, but lots of people don't know that Americans use cups and assume it's the same way as us.

Thanks for the boiling tip as well. I really can't wait to make them later.

Originally Posted by lulu62uk
    thanks hun. I didn't know you could get cups here now. I've been swopping recipes with family over the pond for 20 years and cups was very confusing to me to begin with. so i just wanted to clear it up for anyone who didn't know. I know the history of why Americans use cups, but lots of people don't know that Americans use cups and assume it's the same way as us.

Thanks for the boiling tip as well. I really can't wait to make them later.
    i never knew there was a difference honestly ... i know a lot of things over here are done by weights which confuses me (especially since i don't have a scale) for those that might have a measuring jug or such like that 1 cup is equal to about 236 mls

RICH FRUIT CAKE

This is a very old family recipe, it was my great great great grandmothers.
    I always use butter but you can use marg or a veggie option, only i can't say what it will be like if you do, but you guys are smart enough to work it out.

Prepare the cake tin, line the bottom of the tin with one layer of brown paper and two layers of greasproof paper and one layer of non stick parchment. this stops it burning and/or drying out while cooking. Line the sides with two layers of greaseproof paper and one layer of non stick parchment. (i use a 2lb tin if that's any help)

Place dried fruit in a large bowl overnight to soak in 2 tablespoons of Brandy.....5ozs currants 8ozs raisins 8ozs sultanas

Cream butterand sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and flour (seived) gradually, then add the rest of the ingredients.

Place in cake tin and make a small dent/well in the centre (i use a tin where the bottom drops out if you put it on a stand)
    Cook in the ove on 4 sheets of newspaper (no idea why i just do it cos all the other women in the family do) Put two layers of brown paper tied around the outside of the tin and greaseproof paper over the top. (this stops it burning and drying out)

Cook at 140c or 275f or gas mark 1 for about 3 hours in centre of oven, test it's cooked after 3 hours NOT before, by pushig a sharpe knife through the centre, if it comes out clean it's cooked, if you still have wet cake mixture on it you will have to judge when it's cooked according to your oven and how it performs if it's fan assisted it will cook quicker, but you'll have to judge.

When cooked and cooled well totally cold to be honest, wrap the cake in greaseproof paper and then tin foil, place in an airtight tin in a cool place and it will last for 2 months, well only if you don't share it, otherwise skip the above as there will be none left, ENJOY

grated rind of a lemon
    7ozs plain flour
    1 teaspoon of mixed spice
    1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
    2ozs ground almonds
    50zs butter or marg or veggie option
    6ozs soft brown sugar
    1 tablespoon black treacle
    4 eggs medium (although i use large, only cos that's all i buy)
    grated rind of 1 orange

and don't forget the fruit for soaking as listed at the start of this recipe.

I know this sounds like a mission, but it's old fashioned and worth the mission.

Yay for cakes!!! Thanks for starting thr thread Arlia. Later on I will share my new experiment peanut butter cake with peanut buttercream topping, but at present Ash is being a wiggly, wiggly, wiggly boy on my lap and won't stand too much typing!

oooooooooo peanut butter

POLISH CAKE (no oven needed)

My fathers family are Polish, so nana would make this lots as we grew up and i made it a lot when mine where littlies. well i still do now they are biggies!!!!!

Line a swiss roll tin with butter (or whatever fats you use) then line with greeseproof paper

8ozs digestive biscuits made into fine crumbs.
    4ozs of butter (or whatever fats you use)
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    1 desserspoon cocoa
    1 bar of coating chocolate (your choice but we use dark)

Method
    heat syrup with coca and butter when melted mix in the digestives. take off the heat and place the mix in the swiss roll tin and press down.

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof dish over hot water on the cooker top (stove) do this gently so as not to spoil the chocolate. Pour over the mixture. Place in the fridge for about 15 to 20 mins, then take out of the tin and cut into small squares or it sets to hard and is hard to cut. Place back in the fridge for about half an hour.........ENJOY.

by the way small square are a good idea as it's rich, but they won't make it last longer.

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    lulu i want someof ya no bake polish cake - my mate Ruth made something very similar for her chocolate alternative to wedding cake recently - the decadent woman used full on organic green and blacks, expensive butter and very posh digestives.. what a treat - spose she only get married once though

was bloody loverly!!!!!
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

Sarah's disgustlingly disgusting chocolate cake

Makes enough mixture for a deep sided 7" tin or two shallow sided sandwich tins of the same dimensions.. roughly lol

3 eggs (rough idea - an egg usually weighs approx 2 - 3oz)
    Soft Brown or demerera sugar
    self-raising flour
    golden syrup
    Cocoa

Weigh 3 medium sized eggs on a set of scales...

If you have balance scales put ya eggs where the weights would usually go and weigh all ingredients to the weight of the eggs.. with an ordinary set of scales, weigh the eggs and then make a note of how much and weigh all other ingredients to the weight.....

That is a fail safe method for gettin correct ingredient quantities btw for any sponge type cake.

Weigh butter first and place in large mixing bowl. Is best if the butter is at room temperature for this method.
    Next weigh out brown sugar to approx 2/3rds the weight of the eggs
    Beat the sugar and butter together until paler and creamy in texture.

Next weigh out self raising flour to approx 2/3rds the weight of the eggs and make up the weight with cocoa.
    Break 1 egg into the bowl and sift in about 1/6th of the flour cocoa mixture...Mix thoroughly with beaters - if mixture looks a bit curdley use more flour with next egg...

Repeat for next 2 eggs...

Add approximatley a tablespoon and a half of golden syrup and beat into mixture...

Sift remaining flour into bowl and gently fold into the mixture taking care not to knock out any of the air in the mixture.

Pop in ya greased and lined tin and bake in an oven 180degrees C until the cake has moved away from the sides of the tin, the top of the cake springs back to the touch and a kinfe inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean...

Tip.. if the top of your cake starts to burn but is still not cooked inside then cover the top of the cake with a circle of grease-proof paper and turn the oven down slightly...

When cooked.. leave to cool, turn out onto a plate and sandwich together with whatever you like... I personally love apple sauce in the middle with some good quality chocolate coating over the top *slurp*

You could add chopped nuts to the cake mix aswell if you wanted.. approx the weight of one of ya eggs

sarah your friends cake sounds very much like our one, the best thing about it is that depending on the quality of the ingrediants, especially the chocolate on top, you can subtly change the flavour of it, so you can make it richer for adults and with dairy milk for kids, who scoff it down.

The other beauty of it is that you can make it and serve it in about an hour, i always keep the ingrediants in my store cuboard, so if you pop round i can make it.

honey if i had a car i'd be on the M4 by now!!! yum might ave to get some suggestives n a bar of chocolate today
    l

Originally Posted by phoenix_indigo
    ok so here's my very naughty contribution ...

Carolina Delights
    do they actually go firm Danni? mine are still very soft ... like unset flapjacks .... wondering about baking them for 5 minutes?
    Last edited by Ms. Vee; 19-09--2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Ok, Peanut Butter cake:

Beat together 3 eggs, 5oz of self raising flour, 1oz cocoa powder, 6oz caster sugar and most of a normal sized jar of smooth peanut butter, leaving a couple of ounces for the topping. (I haven't tried this with crunchy peanut butter but I imagine that this would be great, would leave lots of little bits of peanut throughout the cake. I think the topping definitely needs smooth though.)

Spoon the mixture into a 2lb cake tin, greased and lined with greaseproof paper (Princesstigermouse, you still have my cake tin, I will have to come and visit again to get it back!!
    )

Bake for around half an hour at 180 c, until a knife comes out clean but it is still soft and moist.

Beat together the rest of the peanut butter, 6oz icing sugar and a couple of tablespoons of milk, to make peanut buttercream topping. I found that this came out quite lumpy as the peanut butter was hard to mix, but I have no problem with lumps of peanut butter!
    Spread over the top and eat whilst warm.

And for Arlia, Banana and Apricot cake:

Beat together 4oz margarine, 4oz sugar, 8oz self raising flour, 1/2 tablespoon of baking powder, a pinch of salt and 2 eggs.

Mash up 3 or 4 good sized bananas, this comes out tastier the browner they are, so good for using up bananas that have sat too long in the bowl. Mix in 4 oz of chopped dried apricots, or any dried fruit that you have to hand and think would taste good, and a teaspoon of mixed spice.

Pour the mixture into a 2lb cake tin, greased and lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for around an hour until a knife comes out clean, then eat whilst warm.

Right, another Southern recipe - I will admit this is the only cake I know how to make with any success, STBE is the baker in the family and he's brilliant at it. A few explanations here:

This is in American measurements (sorry!) I never did get my head round grams, ounces and whatever. Can someone with more sense than me translate please?

The Red in Red Velvet cake is often cochineal. If you're vegetarian be INFORMED about this. There is a lot of dye in this, too, as it's just part of the cake. This is therefore probably not a cake for the veggie or extremely additive conscious - just "leaving out the dye" means it's no longer red velvet cake, it becomes "buttermilk" cake or something. I've had it...somehow it isn't the same. But hey, who said you can't use purple!?

For the rest of you...eat your hearts out!

And yes, there's a bit of a side effect as to dye the following day...*cough* no, you're not bleeding internally.

• 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 2 1/2 cups flour
    • 2 tablespoons cocoa
    • 1 1/2 cups sugar
    • 2 oz. red food coloring
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda sprinkled over 1 Tbsp. vinegar
    Preparation:

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Sift flour, salt & cocoa together. Add alternately with buttermilk. Beat after each addition. Stir in baking soda and vinegar mixture. Bake 30 minuts at 350 in 2 9-inch greased and floured pans. Here is her recipe for the frosting:
    • 1 C. Milk
    • 1 1/4 C. granulated sugar
    • 1/4 C. flour
    • 3/4 C. Shortening
    • 1 tsp. vanilla
    Combine milk & flour & cook until thick (like a white sauce) Stir constantly. Set aside to cool. Cream sugar & shortening until light and fluffy. Add vanilla & cooled cream sauce. Beat until icing becomes stiff.

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    We've just looked closely at Sarah's recipe and are agreed it look disgusting. So we'll definitely be having a go at it tommorrow

I liked the tip about weighing everything against the eggs too, very clever.
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...