Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Omni Recipes

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Coyote
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Pork Belly Gumbo with Dirty Rice (serves 3 to 5)

Pork Belly Gumbo

6 to 8 strips of belly pork, cut into thumb sized pieces and fried until lightly caramelised. Take out and drain when done.
    1 green pepper, sliced into pencil thin strips and fried in the above oil until starting to char. Take out and drain when done.
    1 tin of chopped tomatos, 1 desert spoon of paprika, 3/4s of a teaspoon of black pepper, 1 pint of good quality chicken stock (Kallo), 1 teaspoon of sage, 1/2 a teaspoon of oregano, all mixed together in a pan.
    Add the cooked pork and pepper to the sauce and cook on a medium heat for an hour to thicken and reduce the sauce.

Dirty Rice (coyote style
    )

1 and 1/2 mugs of basmarti rice
    2 beef stock cubes (Kallo again) but only made into a pint instead of 2 pints pint.
    1 Red pepper, seeded and diced
    1 large red onion, diced

Cook and drain the rice as normal.
    Whilst the rice is cooking, fry up the pepper and onion until browned (use the oil saved from the belly pork frying. Get the pan good and hot then add the stock to the frying pan, deglazing the pan. Cook down until you have about half a pint of really dark sauce.
    When the rice is done and drained, put rice back into its pan and pour over the hot dark sauce - mixing thoroughly.

Best served with cornbread (I cant find my recipe for that at the mo' but beware the ones one the net as they often are hideously salty).
    This was fabulous!
    Made it tonight, just added some chicken as well.
    Soooo yummy. I made a really good cornbread I got off the internet to go with it. Will share the recipe tomorrow, as am knackered and can't be bothered to post it now.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Originally Posted by phoenix_bunny
    This was fabulous!
    Made it tonight, just added some chicken as well.
    Soooo yummy. I made a really good cornbread I got off the internet to go with it. Will share the recipe tomorrow, as am knackered and can't be bothered to post it now.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Glad you liked it

My Paypal account accepts royalties cheques
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

Cornbread

I found this one on the internets the other day, and have tried it, with much success.

Cornbread

1 3/4 cup cornmeal
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt (optional)
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 cups buttermilk (if you do not have buttermilk use 2 cups milk with 3 Tbsp lemon juice or cider vinegar, mixed together before putting into the recipe in order to sour the milk)
    2 Tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 230 C. Place cake pan/muffin pan/ or cast iron skillet in oven to get hot.

In large bowl, mix cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.

In seperate bowl, stir together beaten eggs and buttermilk.

Add liquids into the bowl with dry ingredients. Stir, mixing just enough to get dry ingredients wet. Do not over mix, it is ok for their to be lumps and dry patches.

Take pan out of oven, put in 2 Tbsp of butter to melt, moving around the bottom and sides.

If using a cast iron skillet, bake for 20-25 minutes.
    If using a cake pan, cast iron mould, or muffin pan bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in, comes out clean.

Addicted to Ginger LittlestMushroom's Avatar
    Springtime Tuna Cakes

Unbelievably basic recipie, but really tasty regardless. It's all in the seasoning with these.
    It's also one you can play by ear, so the measures here are really just ratios.

2x Tins of tuna
    Roughly half a mixing bowl of mash
    2x Tsp Olive Oil
    1x Diced cooking onion
    3-5x Sliced Spring Onions
    1/2-1x Tsp Celery Salt
    And an optional pinch of thyme for a bit of spicy warmth

Squidge it all together with your fingers, and form them into patties of whatever size you feel gluttonous enough to eat. Coat the outside in eggwhite so they'll fry more evenly and bind better, then chuck them in the frying pan for a few minutes with the lid on, then turn them over. The sides and inside should be heated through and nice and soft, and the top and bottom should be nice and crunchy.

They work in the oven too, but I don't think they turn out as well.
    Kerplunk.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Nebula_Chi

Today's recipe is tonights tea

Spicy Beef Noodle Soup

We use up left over bits of beef if I've made a pie or if we had a pot-roast on a sunday.

First make 2 pints of beef stock (Kallo is recommended) and set it to simmer in a pan.
    Then take the leftover beef, cut it into thin slices and fry in lard (it takes about half a block of tescos value lard)
    Drain the beef (draining spoon) and put it into the stock pan
    Cut 1 (deseeded) red bell pepper into thin strips and fry in the same lard as the beef until the edges of the pepper char
    Drain the pepper out and put into the stock pan with the beef
    Slice two large mushrooms into strips and fry in the remains of the lard until starting to caramalise
    Pour the mushroom and remains of the lard into the stock pan
    Add 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 desert spoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of garlic paste and 2 dashes of tabasco

Simmer for 2 hours on a low heat

For the last 15 minutes, break about 20 strands of spagetti in half and add to the stock.

When the spagetti is cooked, serve in bowls with good sized chunks of bread for dipping.

Last edited by Coyote; 02-02--2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: forgot the garlic :oD
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

Originally Posted by Coyote
    It is

You can also make it with chicken breast or king prawn
    although they need a bit of extra oil/lard to cook them in mmmm
    i love cajun cooking

spanish tortilla omlette

if i can do this anyone can
    5/6 new potatoes,
    2 rashers bacon diced
    6 eggs
    olive oil
    now my potatoes were already cooked[boiled] so i dont know if it will make a difference
    cut the pots in half then flat side down and slice thinly.
    heat oliveoil in frying pan add pots and fry until going crisp and brown
    lift out of pan using fish slice so the oils left in the pan
    whisk eggs in a bowl add diced bacon and sliced pots give it a stir with a fork to evenly distribute the bacon & pots through the mixture
    tip it into the pan and cook until brown then place under a medium grill until the runny bit has gone then tip onto a plate so the part cooked side is facing down then slide back into a pan and brown that side off
    serves 2.

Chicken breast with Feta & Spring Onions

Take 1 or 2 decent sized chicken breasts, slit them length ways.

Take block (or similar) feta cheese, spring onions, salt and pepper and mix in a bowl, till....well....mixed!!!

Stuff said mix into breast, (oh so techincal)

Baste your breasts then put in hot oven, and cook for round 20 mins, or till done.

Enjoy with a cool red merlot, or a cheeky sparkling white wine. Serve on thier own or with salad.
    "Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

My Banannananananananananananananananananan a Curry......

This can be made, Omni, veggie or vegan. It rocks and its famous round my mates, iv been makin it for a few years now and i love it!!!

You will need a good deep cooking pot, a wooden spoon and patience.

You need.....

6 bananna's, the older and browner on the skin the better. This way they mash down and are more easily fried to give it tat ooooooooooooooooo taste.
    3 Sweet potato's
    Half a pound to a pound of Lamb (this is the best meat for this kind of cooking IMHO)
    1 Apple
    and for sheer pleasure 1 Mango

First fry the bananna, this will give the curry that distictive taste, next fry the lamb, but only till its browned, DONT overcook it!!!! Let them gently simmer. Dont use to much oil though, it ruins the flavour of the bananna.

Ok, nextpeel and chop the sweet potato's. Boil them in seperate pan, till soft, but not falling apart. Add them to the main pot.

Now comes the tough bit. Iv left out all the spices, as most folk have thier own blend, BUT I would use cumin, pinch of, Garam Masala, pinch of, Black pepper seeds, pinch of, and corriander seeds, pinch of. If
    you're feeling loved up and you dont want your meal hot, use minimal hot stuff. Grate some coconut block in. Stir and leave to cook for at least an hour, on a low heat.DONT allow to burn, or i'll send you angry fairies!!!!!!

Near the end of cooking, peel the apple and mango, and add them to the mix. Just before you serve add one more bananna, for taste, season to your like and serve.

Serve with rice and salad. Choose as red wine to accompany this meal, not to heavy and well fruity.
    Last edited by Lister D; 18-04--2009 at 12:14 AM.
    "Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."
    The following users think this post is groovy: Nebula_Chi

Delightfully Dippy Mama Indigo_Mummy's Avatar
    Persian Baked Stuffed Melon Recipe

The first time I made this I found I had too much stuffing and now use 2 melons, but it depends on how big your 'cup' sizes are

1 whole Honeydew Melon
    3 Tbsp Butter
    1 Medium Onion, diced
    lb Chicken breast, diced
    2 cups Couscous
    cup Dried Apricots
    cup Honey
    tsp Cinnamon
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Prepare the melon: Trim bottom of melon so that it sits flat in a baking dish.
    Remove the top of the melon jack-o-lantern style and set aside to use as a lid.
    Remove seeds.
    Prepare the stuffing: Melt butter in a saucepan and saute onion until tender.
    Add chicken, couscous, and apricots - simmer on low heat until chicken is cooked through. Add honey, and cinnamon - mix thoroughly.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Stuff the melon, replace lid and place in a baking dish.
    Bake in 350 oven for about 1 hour until melon is tender.
    Enjoy.
    I have a Facebook profile, PM me if you want added.

Banana Jam

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about one medium lime)
    * 3 1/2 cups diced firm ripe bananas
    * 2 1/4 cups sugar
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 2 capfuls of vanilla essence
    Directions

1.Place lime juice in a one quart measure.
    2.Peel bananas and dice directly into lime juice.
    3.Stir with a wooden spoon.
    4.Keep stirring as you dice each banana into the lime juice to prevent darkening.
    5.Measure sugar and water and vanilla into a wide 2 quart saucepan, and stir to dissolve sugar as you bring syrup to a boil.
    6.Cover tightly for the first 2 minutes (so the steam will wash sugar crystals from side of saucepan) then uncover, add bananas (with lime) and boil over low heat for about 30 minutes or until thick.
    7.Stir often to prevent sticking, especially during last 10 minutes.
    8.Jam is done when a spoon scraped across bottom of pan leaves a track that closes slowly, or when jam mounds while stirring.
    9.Spoon at once into hot sterilized jars and seal.

Makes about 3 normal sized jars of yummy scrummy jam!
    Last edited by Blu; 21-07--2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: im a tube......
    jim jam jobbies

Originally Posted by Blu
    Banana Jam

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about one medium lime)
    * 3 1/2 cups diced firm ripe bananas
    * 2 1/4 cups sugar
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 2 capfuls of vanilla essence
    Directions

1.Place lime juice in a one quart measure.
    2.Peel bananas and dice directly into lime juice.
    3.Stir with a wooden spoon.
    4.Keep stirring as you dice each banana into the lime juice to prevent darkening.
    5.Measure sugar and water and vanilla into a wide 2 quart saucepan, and stir to dissolve sugar as you bring syrup to a boil.
    6.Cover tightly for the first 2 minutes (so the steam will wash sugar crystals from side of saucepan) then uncover, add bananas (with lime) and boil over low heat for about 30 minutes or until thick.
    7.Stir often to prevent sticking, especially during last 10 minutes.
    8.Jam is done when a spoon scraped across bottom of pan leaves a track that closes slowly, or when jam mounds while stirring.
    9.Spoon at once into hot sterilized jars and seal.

Makes about 3 normal sized jars of yummy scrummy jam!
    we made some of this back at xmas and it's so scrummy!!!!!!
    Learning....

Really easy baked chocolate cheesecake

Wasn't sure if this could really go in the cake recipe thread so here goes...

OK....this isn't for the health conscious (and serves about 10!!)

For the base:
    1 pack of digetive biscuits (gingernuts work too), bashed into crumbs
    3/4 block of unsalted butter

Grease and line an 8inch loose bottomed cake tin. Melt the butter in a pan, mix in the biscuit crumbs until well coated, spoon into the cake tin and press down.

For the filling:
    2 tubs of mascarpone
    1 1/2 tubs of cream cheese
    10 medium eggs
    10tbsp double cream
    2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
    2-4oz sugar (depends how sweet you like it)
    1tsp vanilla extract.

Bung all the above in a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into the cake tin on top of the crumb base then bung into a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for about 45mins-1hr until firm. It shouldn't be completely firm - it should have started to crack around the edges and still wobble a bit in the middle.

Allow to cool before removing from the tin. Can be served with warm chocolate sauce (1/2 a small pot of nutella heated with 250ml double cream and stirred untill well blended).

*warning* I do not take responsibility for any resulting tightness to your belt/jeans/skirts etc
    Last edited by Noctula; 30-07--2009 at 04:19 PM.

I make a similar one, only without the eggs and cocoa and uncooked
    I use 2 tubs of marscapone, one of clotted cream and one of ricotta, all blended together (by hand) with about a quarter to a half a desert spoon of caster sugar and a tsp of vanilla extract
    On the same base you use, but all you have to do is chill it (no cooking)

Serves about 12 but we can demolish it in a weekend

Oh gods! Clotted cream!! *drool*

Based on the recipes on here I'm sure all hippy's should be a worry to the Cardiac ward of their local hospital!!!

Transcending

thai green curry

Diced chicken
    Green Thai curry paste - I got a tub from the chinese supermarket for a few quid but it makes about 12 curries!
    Onion, mushrooms and whatever veggies you want in it - I used diced sweet potato once.
    Mange tout, sweetcorn
    pad thai or spinach
    sesame oil
    Coconut milk

I start by adding the chopped onion to the oil and a small tablespoon paste (according to how hot you like it)
    Add chicken to wok and stir till browned.
    Add all the other bits except mange tout and spinach
    pour in coconut milk
    after about 5 mins I chuck in the mangetout and spinach.

Im not a very good cook by any means but my partner hasn't been poisoned by this one yet!!

I always serve with basmati rice.

Green Thai curry

This sounds lush, though i really want to know WHATS the ingredients in the Thai Green Curry paste...???? Am wanting to make this recipe from scratch.
    Last edited by Lister D; 30-08--2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Had to edit out spelling mistakes as im a klutz

Rabbit and Apple Stew

4-6 joints of rabbit
    Seasoned Flour
    2oz butter
    2 medium onions, chopped
    2 medium carrots, sliced
    2 Medium apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
    8oz mushrooms, sliced
    8oz streaky bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
    Pint veg stock
    2 tsp tomato puree
    Pinch dried thyme
    Salt and pepper

Heat half the butter in a large saucepan and cook carrots, onions and apples for 5 minutes, stirring well. Remove from the pan and set aside.
    Toss the rabbit in seasoned flour. Heat the remaining butter in the pan and brown the rabbit on both sides.
    Lower the heat, add the mushrooms and bacon and continue cooking for about 5 mins. Add the stock slowly and add the apple/veg mix, tomato puree and thyme, stirring all the time. season if required.
    bring to the boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for about and hour or until the rabbit is tender.
    stir ocasionally and add more stock or water if required.

serves 4-6

mmmmmmm yummy!!!

when i made it used smokey bacon cos it's all i had and it was delish
    Learning....
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

Vension

Anyone got any good recipes for Venison??

Originally Posted by Lister D
    Anyone got any good recipes for Venison??
    Its a very lean meat, so it needs regular basting whilst roasting (once every 15 to 30 minutes throughout the cooking period); then leave it to rest at least 10 minutes after you take it out of the over before carving.

It has a strong flavour, so works well with fuller flavoured vegetables and wines; celeriac, roast potatos, cabbage (red or green), medium bodied fruity red wine.

venison casserole ~ red onions, some kind of redcurrant or other jelly and cook long and slow
    inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness

Thank you Coyote & Coloursofthewind. I'm going to try get some venison from a blokey i know...will let you know how it goes...

Well this part of the forum looks a bit forgotten! Shall we try and wake it up..?

Tasty pork belly strips, nicked from Nigella. Dirt cheap, bloody tasty, and the easiest recipe in the world.

Preheat the oven to about 210 degC. peel a couple of potatoes and slice about 1/2" thick, then quarter. Dice or slice half an onion. Add some oil to a casserole dish and toss the potatoes and onion in it. Add a little sage or thyme if you fancy, maybe a bit of garlic too. Then get a cheap pack of pork belly strips and lay the strips on top of the potatoes and onions. Then lob it in the oven for about an hour and 40 minutes. Done.

Great idea figaro

Here is one we enjoy as a family, we call it Spanish Chicken but it is actually Chicken Basque, I have copied this from Deliaonline as that is the origional recipie we followed, the oils mixed in with the flavours of the olives and a hint of orange and the chicken is orgasmic, acompany it with a bottle of Pinot Grigio wow!!

Ingredients

10 fl oz (275 ml) chicken stock (or stock made from Marigold vegetable bouillon powder)
    6 fl oz (170 ml) dry white wine

1 level teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

You will also need a wide, shallow, flameproof casserole with a domed lid, measuring about 9 inches (24 cm) at the base; or, failing that, any wide flameproof casserole of 8 pint (4.5 litre) capacity.

Start by seasoning the chicken joints well with salt and pepper. Next, slice the red peppers in half and remove the seeds and pith, then slice each half into six strips. Likewise, peel the onion and slice into strips of approximately the same size. The dried tomatoes should be drained, wiped dry with kitchen paper and then cut into inch (1 cm) pieces.
    Now heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the casserole and, when it is fairly hot, add the chicken pieces – two or three at a time – and brown them to a nutty golden colour on both sides. As they brown remove them to a plate lined with kitchen paper, using a draining spoon. Next add a little more oil to the casserole, with the heat slightly higher than medium. As soon as the oil is hot, add the onion and peppers and allow them to brown a little at the edges, moving them around from time to time, for about 5 minutes.
    After that, add the chorizo, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic and toss these around for a minute or two until the garlic is pale golden and the chorizo has taken on some colour. Next, stir in the rice and, when the grains have a good coating of oil, add the sun-dried tomato paste, paprika and chopped thyme. Pour in the stock and wine, and add some seasoning. As soon as everything has reached simmering point, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. Add a little more seasoning, then place the chicken gently on top of everything (it's important to keep the rice down in the liquid). Finally, place the wedges of orange in among the chicken and scatter with the olives.
    Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook over the gentlest possible heat for about 50 minutes-1 hour or until the rice is cooked but still retains a little bite. Alternatively cook in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 4, 350F (180C), for 1 hour.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.