THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favourite Omni Recipes

Marmite Mince!

Trust me, this is much tastier than you'd imagine.

Dice an onion and fry in butter until soft.
    Lob in a pack of beef mince and brown evenly, breaking up the mince as you go.
    Move the mince to the sides of the pot leaving a pool of juice in the middle, and stir in about 2 dessert spoons of Marmite, then mix into the mince/onion.
    Mix in about a teaspoon of paprika and 2 beef stock cubes. The mince will become sticky. Then add about 250ml water and 2 tablespoons of gravy granules, and simmer for a few minutes.
    Great with mash or on a jacket spud.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Can't go wrong with marmite.

Though marmite on toast with beans on top was a bit grim...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Can't go wrong with marmite.

Though marmite on toast with beans on top was a bit grim...
    When I was a lad I used to like marmite and jam. ( before you make retching sounds think of sweet and sour )
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Will post a recipe or 6 when I have stopped laughing at Lister D's signature......fab thread

Marmite! Absolute staple in my kitchen, even Daisy likes it.
    Last edited by Daisysmum; 07-06--2015 at 01:54 PM.

I got this recipe when we were on holiday in Malta.

Peas Cakes

2 packs of ready rolled short crust pastry.
    2 tins of mushy peas
    Marmite (of course, to taste)
    Curry spices (to taste, or your favourite ready made one)
    Rolling pin
    Large pastry cutter
    Bun tins for 18

Cut out 18 rounds and rest them in the bun tin, if gravity doesn't make them sink into the tin give them a gentle push.
    Heat the mushy peas and season with marmite and curry seasoning to your taste, when you have it just how you like it add 2-3 teaspoons of pea mix to each bun tin. Pinch the top of the buns together together so that the edges seal.
    Place in the oven at gas mark 5 until golden brown

P.S. I don't think Marmite is a traditional Maltese ingredient; I simply tried it one day and it worked.
    The following users think this post is groovy: PDCambs

Worchesterberry Jam

We've had Worchesterberries on the allotment for about ten years. They are a cross between black current and gooseberry, producing large gooseberry sized black currents, and they propagate really easily, just snip a large branch off at old wood and stick it in the ground.

However, they are a bit gritty (seeds) and very tart to taste. I've successfully made a pickle from the before, all be it a bit too gritty for the wife's taste, but last week I perfected a method for making a very nice jam, and I just had my first serving on toast for breakfast this morning.

Sorry, I don't have quantities, as that's not the way I cook, the amount of sugar also depends upon how ripe the Worchesterberries are.

1. Boil up the Worchesterberries with very little water, just a splash, and then liquidize with a stick blender.

2. Add a sachet of pectin to some ordinary white sugar.

3. Pass the Worchesterberries through a sieve.

4 Return to the pan and add the sugar and pectin with a small knob of butter.

5 Keep on a rolling boil for ten minutes, spooning off any foam scum.

6. Poor boiling water into jars to sterilise them (you could do this in the oven if you plan to keep the jam a long time) and once dry jar up your jam.

I'll give my jam away to friends, but now I've perfected a method I'll have to go back t the allotment and pick the other 8 bushes. I also have some Tay berries to try this with, as they have quite pithy middles.

OH, and a top tip for jam making, use one part fruit to three parts rhubarb, you'll hardly taste the rhubarb, but you'll get three times as much jam! Before it became unpopular, a lot of the british rhubarb crop was used in commercial jam making like this.
    The following users think this post is groovy: figaro

Ooh we have Tayberries. Planted the bush years ago and it grew like a triffid. For a while we thought it was a gonner but it has come back I'm pleased to say, not enough for a jam crop yet but enough to supplement the redcurrants.
    I probably buried Fred too near it and he has terrorised the roots....
    Thanks for the rhubarb tip, we have loads of that too

Heavenly Creature
    Must say I've never tried or even come across Worchesterberries, but we do grow a few Tayberries.
    I haven't started making jam this year yet, we are still using some from 2013 and 2014!
    Thanks for the tip about the rhubarb, too.

Heavenly Creature
    Hopefully to sort of get this Omnivore thread moving again, I'm giving a bit of info on our three or four day stew that we often make, usually during Winter, starting around this time of year.
    The base is usually root veg of any kind obtainable, but not potatoes to start with as some tend to go mushy with much cooking.

Start with soaking peas, beans or lentils or other dried stuff the night before, in hot water.
    Next, simmer your root veg. and anything green that might take a little while, like chopped cabbage or kale or chard, etc.
    While they are simmering you can chuck in some herbs for flavouring, whatever you like. Experience teaches how much, so go steady at first.
    Also mix in your soaked peas, beans, lentils, etc, which should be nicely soft by now. You will now need to stir it more often unless you have a really low simmer, as the lentils and beans gravitate to the bottom, where they tend to burn.
    I often chuck in a can of chopped tomato or two, as cheap as you like. (Usually the '4 for a 1' offer at the supermarkets).
    Sometimes I chop up a half vegetable cube and put that in, but too much makes it salty.
    When everything is soft and delicious you can decide what sort of stew you are having tonight, and act accordingly.

So next you pour into another pan sufficient stew for your evening meal, and add to it cooked meat of your choice (chopped grilled bacon is nice, as is small chunks of German or Polish sausage, or cooked chicken, or a can of chicken curry, or basically whatever you fancy or have available. Simmer again for a few minutes and serve up with potatoes, potato mash, bread, or pasta, or rice, nan bread, etc.
    Don't forget to add the appropriate herbs and spices to go with your meat. You can also add more of any cooked veg if it goes with the dish. For Veggies you could add extra beans, or meat substitute, or even quorn if you like the stuff.
    Sometimes I add an extra lot of cooked frozen chopped veg, just to make more of a 'Spring stew' dish.

Next day you still have plenty vegetable stew over, stored in a cool place overnight, so you can do the same thing again, adding something different for tonight's meal.
    And so on, until your pan of original vegetable stew has vanished. A big panful often lasts the two of us three or four days, used like this. Some nights it is plain meat and veg stew, sometimes Indian curry, sometimes it is given a Chinese taste with the appropriate spices. You can experiment endlessly, and almost always get good results. We always like to serve up some salad with a cooked stew like this, using whatever materials are available.

I'll chip in with a dish I had just yesterday - cheap and oh so tasty - Kedgeree!

Cup of rice into a pot, add 2 cups of water and put on the hob. Add a teaspoon of tumeric and a couple of green cardamon pods, then plop an egg in the pot (saves boiling an extra pot of water), hard boil for 8-10 minutes then set aside. Remove the egg and run it under cold water.

Warm a pan with a little oil and a knob of butter, add maybe half a diced onion and a bit of diced ginger, add some curry powder to your taste, a little more tumeric and cardamom pods, and stir for a minute or two for the onion to soften. Flake some smoked mackerel into the pan (run your finger down the spine of the fish to find the bones then pluck them out, or simply cut the spine bit out altogether) and warm for a minute. Then add the rice and stir, plonk it on a plate, add sultanas if you want, top with the hard boiled egg, and tuck in. Delicious!

Heavenly Creature
    As a few people have asked about the Apple Cake served up on the Northampton SCE Apple Day, I thought it would be good to share it with everyone else. After making it a few times, you can vary the ingredients if you wish, according to taste, or what you have available:
    Apple Day Recipe Sheet
    This Recipe is Vegetarian but is not Vegan

Somerset Apple Cake & Cookies

Ingredients:
    300g (10 oz) Sultanas or mixed fruit, soaked.
    200mI (1/3 pt) Dry cider for soaking dried fruit hot water will do.
    550g (20 oz) Plain flour or 50/50 plain and wholemeal flour
    2.5 tsp Baking powder
    2 tsp Ground cinnamon or mixed cake spices.
    400g (14 oz) Brown sugar
    300g (10 oz) Butter (If you use soft margarine instead add another 1.5 oz of flour).
    3 Eggs
    1 lemon: flesh, juice, rind finely grated. Or 2.5 tablespoons lemon juice (5 dessertspoons).
    3 large or 5 medium cooking apples or equivalent, peeled, cored and thinly chopped.

Method for Cake:

1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3 4. Grease a 20cm (8") cake tin and line the base with a circle of greased greaseproof paper. (A cake tin with removable bottom is best).

2. Soak the sultanas in the cider or hot water for about 20 minutes or longer.

3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon or spice into a bowl.

4. Rub the butter into the flour mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.

5. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, the lemon flesh & rind, or lemon juice.

6. Peel and core the apples, chop into quite small pieces.

7. Drain the soaked sultanas or fruit, and place into the bowl of flour mix, add the egg, sugar and lemon liquid. Stir for a minute or two until everything is well mixed, add the chopped apple, and mix thoroughly again.

8. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for 45 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Then cool in the tin, and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

10. Shallow baking tins can also be used to make apple cake flat slices. These will not need quite so long in the oven, perhaps 35 40 minutes or until they start to brown on top. This mixture is enough for two shallow baking tins. (240mm long x 150mm wide x 30mm deep).

11. If you are serving the cake as a pudding, loosely cover it with kitchen foil and reheat in a warm oven. Serve with yogurt or custard or a little cream.

Method for Cookies:

As above, but spoon mixture into cake or muffin trays, and cook at 170C/gas3 4 for about 20-25 minutes or until they start to brown on top. If you want a crisper outside to your cookies, leave them in a little longer.

This recipe Is Open Source and may be copied, reverse engineered, changed, adjusted and evolved providing the end result is also made freely available as Open Source.

Gotta try that, I've got a thing for apples at the moment.