THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Omni Recipes

Favourite Omni Recipes

I figured I'd take it on myself to start this in hopes people will populate it with lovely ideas.
    I've noticed lately, that I tend to make a lot of the same things, and after talking with my sister, she said the same thing about when she feeds her family. So ... I thought I might start a thread where we could all share our favourite recipes, in hopes of gaining some culinary inspiration from each other.

So feel free to share any recipe you have you particularly like, whether it be breakfast or dinner, main dish or side dish.

Sloppy Joes

To get the ball rolling, here's a sloppy joe recipe. This is a traditional American food, and is quite yummy. The version I make allows me to sneak a lot of vegetables into our diets, without my husband complaining at all. He swears he hates carrots, but he eats them in this, without thinking twice.

As a tip for picky eaters and kids, when I make this I use a food processor or hand blender/chopper to cut the veg up as small as the mince is, basically. So it all blends together really nice.

1 tsp olive oil
    2 cups chopped mushrooms
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped carrot
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    400 grams beef mince (or for a leaner version 200g turkey mince + 200g beef mince)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    1 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp salt (or leave out)
    1/4 tsp pepper
    250ml tomato passata (i tend to put more in, as i like it to be extra saucy)
    hamburger buns (toasted if desired, also really good on wholewheat buns)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, garlic, and mince.
    Saute until meat is browned, being sure to crumble the mince as it cooks.

Stir in ketchup, red wine vinegar, worchestershire sauce, oregano, salt, pepper, and passata. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve on hamburger buns.

Recipe makes roughly 4 'open-faced' sandwiches, depending on how much filling you put on top of the buns.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coyote Fried Chicken (yes it really does get called that
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

)

8 Chicken legs and wings.

Make a mixture of 2 desert spoons of plain flour, 1 desert spoon of paprika, 1/2 of a teaspoon of black pepper, 1/3rd of a teaspoon of cayene, 1/2 of a desert spoon of sage.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
    Heat up a roasting dish of sunflower oil - oil must be about a quarter of an inch depth in the dish. Get it good and hot in the over.
    Roll the chicken portions in the flower mix.
    Place the chicken carefully into the hot oil.
    Return all to the oven
    Cook for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and the juices flow clear if pricked.

Eat with corncakes or sweet potato wedges
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

Crabstick Pad Thai Serves 2 (or one greedy pig like me)
    1 onion diced
    8-10 Crabsticks chopped
    1-2 spoons Pad Thai sauce (depending how hot you like it)
    Rice noodles enough to serve 2 (works with egg noodles aswell)
    1-2 eggs beaten

Prepare the rice noodles using packet instructions
    Heat some oil in a large frying pan
    fry onions
    add egg and scrable it
    add crabsticks, noodles and sauce
    stir fry for a couple minutes
    We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are - Anais Nin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sprouts with Bacon (works with cabbage aswell)
    Streaky bacon cut into little pieces
    Sprouts but in half
    Wholegrain mustard 1-2 spoons

Fry the bacon
    add sprouts and fry for 1min
    add mustard and fry for another 1-2 min depending on how cooked you want the sprouts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by Coyote
    Coyote Fried Chicken (yes it really does get called that

)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.

Cook for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and the juices flow clear if pricked.
    I never actually thought of frying chicken in the oven.
    Good idea, and I think I'll be trying this one sometime soon.

Eat with corncakes
    Any chance that you have a reciepe for corncakes, please.

Originally Posted by lulu62uk
    Any chance that you have a reciepe for corncakes, please.
    Actually, they are really simple and straight forward

Mashed potato, left to go cold.
    Mix in a (drained) tin of sweetcorn and a few good handfuls of grated cheddar.
    Make into "burger" shapes.
    Dust and pat with flower.
    Fry in just a little oil in a hot pan until golden brown.

Serve as an accompanyment....or on their own with brown sauce
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

Thanks for that Coyote, will have a go at those in the next day or so and let you know how i got on.

Pork Belly Gumbo with Dirty Rice (serves 3 to 5)

Pork Belly Gumbo

6 to 8 strips of belly pork, cut into thumb sized pieces and fried until lightly caramelised. Take out and drain when done.
    1 green pepper, sliced into pencil thin strips and fried in the above oil until starting to char. Take out and drain when done.
    1 tin of chopped tomatos, 1 desert spoon of paprika, 3/4s of a teaspoon of black pepper, 1 pint of good quality chicken stock (Kallo), 1 teaspoon of sage, 1/2 a teaspoon of oregano, all mixed together in a pan.
    Add the cooked pork and pepper to the sauce and cook on a medium heat for an hour to thicken and reduce the sauce.

Dirty Rice (coyote style
    )

1 and 1/2 mugs of basmarti rice
    2 beef stock cubes (Kallo again) but only made into a pint instead of 2 pints pint.
    1 Red pepper, seeded and diced
    1 large red onion, diced

Cook and drain the rice as normal.
    Whilst the rice is cooking, fry up the pepper and onion until browned (use the oil saved from the belly pork frying. Get the pan good and hot then add the stock to the frying pan, deglazing the pan. Cook down until you have about half a pint of really dark sauce.
    When the rice is done and drained, put rice back into its pan and pour over the hot dark sauce - mixing thoroughly.

Best served with cornbread (I cant find my recipe for that at the mo' but beware the ones one the net as they often are hideously salty).

Pork Belly Gumbo with Dirty Rice

Best served with cornbread (I cant find my recipe for that at the mo' but beware the ones one the net as they often are hideously salty).
    So glad I started this thread now ... That sounds so delicious.

Would love to hear your cornbread recipe once you have found it. As last time I made cornbread it came out of a box mix.

Wondering if the recipes for cornbread on the internet mainly come from America? Lulu and I were talking the other day about how American food seems to have a lot more salt in it than what is used over here.

I think I'm going to have to go and dig out some more of my recipes now.

My Mom's Biscuits

I'm not sure if she got this from somewhere else or not, but these are the biscuits my mom always makes.

Now before you go getting confused, this is an American biscuit, so a bit like a savoury scone.

American Biscuits

2 cups plain flower
    4 tsp baking powder
    tsp salt
    tsp cream of tartar
    2 tsp sugar
    cup vegetable fat (could possibly use butter ... can't remember if i've tried before or not)
    2/3 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients.

Cut in vegetable fat using fork.

Add milk.

Knead until elastic.

Roll out on floured surface to desired thickness.

Cut out.

Bake at 230degrees C for 10-12 minutes.

Potato Pancakes
    (I found this on the web somewhere, ages ago ... don't know where I got it, but they are really so yummy. Typically I'd serve them with sour cream and apple sauce.)

These potato pancakes are shallow fried until golden and crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
    Makes about nine (9cm diameter) pancakes.

1 small onion
    625g potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes)
    1 large egg (we use eggs with a minimum weight of 59g)
    28g (2 tablespoons) self-raising flour
    Salt and pepper
    Oil, for pan-frying

Peel onion and grate into a small bowl.

Peel and grate potatoes into a large bowl.

Remove excess moisture from potato by firmly squeezing handfuls of grated potato over the kitchen sink.

Add onion, egg, flour, pepper and a generous amount of salt to the potato and stir well to combine.

Heat oil in a heavy-based, non-stick pan over medium to medium-high heat.
    Drop scant 1/4 cups of mixture into pan and flatten slightly.
    Cook pancakes for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through.
    Adjust the heat if the pancakes are browning too quickly or too slowly.

If you are cooking the pancakes in batches, you can place the cooked pancakes on a baking tray in a warm oven while cooking the remaining pancakes.

Drain pancakes on paper towels and serve.

Here is a tip from someone who trained as a chef. When pan frying any meat use a hard animal fat like lard, dripping or ghee rather than any vegetable oil. Olive oil is fine for making your own salad dressing or home made mayonnaise but it loses its flavour once cooked. Ghee is what I prefer for pan frying fish.
    We all lead different lives.

Originally Posted by phoenix_bunny
    I'm not sure if she got this from somewhere else or not, but these are the biscuits my mom always makes.

Now before you go getting confused, this is an American biscuit, so a bit like a savoury scone.

American Biscuits

2 cups plain flower
    4 tsp baking powder
    tsp salt
    tsp cream of tartar
    2 tsp sugar
    cup vegetable fat (could possibly use butter ... can't remember if i've tried before or not)
    2/3 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients.

Cut in vegetable fat using fork.

Add milk.

Knead until elastic.

Roll out on floured surface to desired thickness.

Cut out.

Bake at 230degrees C for 10-12 minutes.
    will give that a go me thinks

Originally Posted by phoenix_bunny

American Biscuits
    do you have a recipie for country gravey to go with that?

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Pork belly gumbo sounds bloody lovely
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

Originally Posted by Sarah
    Pork belly gumbo sounds bloody lovely
    It is

You can also make it with chicken breast or king prawn
    although they need a bit of extra oil/lard to cook them in mmmm

Turning On
    wow the pork belly gumbo sounds very nice!
    I made quite a nice fish pie the other day, served two of us for 2 meals.

2 fillets of salmon (we had some cheaper off cuts from the fish man)
    1 fillet smocked hadock
    1 tin of tuna
    1 tin mushroom soup
    4 med carrots, chopped
    handfull mushrooms, chopped
    2 handfulls of peas
    1 large leek, chopped
    mash potato to cover the top
    sprinkle of salt, pepper, oregano and paprika

poach the salmon and smocked hadock in milk (stick fish in saucepan cover with milk, simmer for 5 mins) stick in oven proof bowl chuck the rest of the ingredience in, mix it up, cover with the mash and stick in the oven for 40 mins. you might need to cover it halfway through so you dont get burnt mash

Originally Posted by dragonz
    do you have a recipie for country gravey to go with that?
    no ... as we typically didn't eat biscuits and gravy, for some reason. i only got that when we went out to eat (on those rare occasions).

might be able to search around online for a recipe somewhere.
    if you happen to have one or find one, please share.

Country Gravy

I haven't tried this, but I went searching for Country Gravy recipes, because of Dragonz asking. For some reason, all the recipes i found originally were just flour and milk based, with no sausage. And well, anytime I've had 'Country Gravy' it had sausage meat in it. So here is what I found.

Easy Country Gravy Recipe
    1-lb of sausage (hot or mild, ground)
    3/4-cup of flour
    2-tablespoons of butter
    4 1/2 cups milk
    1-teaspoon of sage
    salt and pepper to taste.

Fry your sausage in a large skillet until brown... add flour to sausage and in skillet and mix together... brown flour and add milk.. on medium high, stir mixture often to keep from burning.. add sage, salt, and pepper.. as gravy comes to a boil, it will thicken... if it is too thick, add 1/4 cup more of milk... reduce heat after bringing to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.... this is excellent served over chicken fried steak, biscuits, or potatoes... very economical...

that strange cos I've never had it with sausage in LOL

hmmm just a rue sauce then with salt and pepper and sausage

Originally Posted by dragonz
    hmmm just a rue sauce then with salt and pepper and sausage
    yep, basically.

and that is odd that i've always seen it with sausage.