Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having just one dreadlock?

Divine Light princesstigermouse's Avatar

Question Having just one dreadlock?

Bear with me if this sounds a bit mad, but...

when I was pregnant, I had a big patch of alopecia at the back of my neck, and it's growing back really well, it's around 3 inches long. I'm so happy it's grown back, but there's a little part of me that's kind of unwilling to let it just grow back and mingle with the rest of my tresses - I sort of want to keep it a bit special because it represents an important transitional period of my life. I was thinking of braiding it, but as my hair grows so quick I'd have to keep undoing and redoing it, which doesn't feel right.

Now, I definitely DO NOT want dreads instead of my lovely loose hair - my hair is probably my favourite part of my physical appearance, but I was wondering whether it was possible to just dread that one bit? Or will the rest tangle up and matt with it? Cos I really wouldn't want that. And if I did do it, how would washing work? For brushing, I'd just hold it out of the way like I would with a braid, I spose, but would it matter if it got wet and soapy when I washed my hair?
    xx spring xx

You could dread it as it grows in, but you would need to brush round it fairly regular to keep it seperate. Bearing in mind I dont brush my hair at all, I think everyday is fairly regular
    Washing it wouldnt be a problem, dreads love being washed, greasy hair won't knot as fast, most dread heads dont wash them coz it would take a fortnight to get them dry. You wouldn't be able to use conditioner though, or your dread is never going to happen. I'm not really sure you are going to like having a dread if you love your hair, but hey, what do I know.

You could always dye that bit of hair a different colour...........

The thing with the dread is that it will be under all my hair (very long hair down to my bum) so it's sort of just for me if that makes any sense? A bit like having a tattoo on your back, it's not there in view all the time, so you can keep it a secret if you want or show it off if you feel like it.

I don't really want to dye it, I henna my hair a red colour and that feels very right for me, and it's been like that forever now. I like the idea of having a snakey tail underneath all the soft watery waviness. A contrast in textures. This may be one of those things that only make sense to me... there are a lot of things like that I do like dreads, they are beautiful, just not for me generally.

I don't brush my hair every day at all, at the moment, but it wouldn't kill me to do so. Has anyone actually done this? I'm thinking, if I decide it feels wrong after a while, I can always cut it off as long as it doesn't start taking all the rest of my hair with it!
    xx spring xx

I tried doing that once, but it matted into the rest of my hair....but mind you I barely brushed my hair when it was undreaded anyoway so that probably didnt help.

I think maybe what you could do is to wrap it with colorful threads to help keep it untangled from the rest of your hair. Doesnt haveto be the whole dread, just close enough to the root will do.

for the first month or so, try not to wash the dread more than once every two weeks. After it has matured a bit just wash as normal.

Il send you a bead or something in the post to celebrate

That's a really good idea - to wrap thread around the root. When I used to have random braids in, that was the problem - the root part sort of sucked the rest of my hair into it, but that might solve the problem. I only wash my hair about once a week, or sometimes less often that that, so that should be all right.
    xx spring xx

Slide a bead up to the root of your hair and just keep moving it up as it grows, that should stop the rest of your lovely hair matting into it

sounds like a plan.
    are you going to let it knot naturally, or backcomb it?

That's a good idea too, Weecab. I think I'll have to backcomb it to start it off, to keep it separate from the rest... not that I really have any idea how to do that, but I can probably look it up!
    xx spring xx

When i combed out my dreads i kept one in because it was a special one and has part of Charlie in it...it lasted a few days before i got pissed off with it It just had a mind of its own and wanted to redread all the hair around it and i found i was having to rip it every morning ouchy so yeah ... erm....if i was you i'd start off with a braid and let it dread naturally from that... as it loosens as your hair grows it will start to dread at the base of the braid then you only have to undo and braid back up to the dreaded part.. or wrap the section of hair to keep it seperate from everything else... if you use natural fibres to wrap the hair then it should help the dreading process
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

i think its a lovely idea
    my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :)

I think wraping it is the way to go or there will be a lot of ripping reqired........and you can just re wrap it as it grows or use a bead.

I think what I am going to do, is take a section of the alopecia-regrowth (it's spread out in an oval shape so it won't work with all of it) and backcomb it with a longer strand of my hair, and then wrap the root with some thread. I feel all lovely about this, now
    xx spring xx

xx spring xx

sounds lubberly
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

Full power, 24 hour!! xx angel em's Avatar
    hey hun, i started with just 1 dread in about a year ago, I've never had a prob with it matting to the rest of my hair and I only brush my hair when i wash it. I have washed it since day one with no probs, dries pretty quick too . I now have another dread on other side too.. If you get a crochet needle you can make the dread really easy, think thats why mine prob stayed so well.. it makes it really tight.. good luck with it xx

Thanks Em

I have just backcombed it as long as baby would allow, and wrapped some wool around the very top... the crochet idea is a good one, might try a bit of that later! The regrowth section isn't long enough for that, I don't think, but the longer bit will be.
    xx spring xx

I believe you can just dread that area a friend of mine used to have one dread lock growing at the nape of her neck and she had beautiful black hair.
    The universe is a process.

When i had half dreads half normal hair, I didn't have any problems, I think it all depends on hair type
    likes cats, a bit.

I'm very excited - I now have one slim semi-dread and I'm feeling good about it being there.
    xx spring xx

samantha, have you considering braiding it with some nice threads? i love your idea though of keeping it special x

I've chosen to dread it rather than braid it because it'll end up dreading anyway if I braid it, and also because I've had braids in lots of times before, and this is something totally new which feels exciting

It's the skinniest minniest little snakey thing at the moment! I imagine it'll shrink a bit though.

Last edited by princesstigermouse; 10-03--2009 at 06:57 PM.
    xx spring xx

awww sammy its lovely
    I have new hair where your dready is and is the only curly part of my hair!
    My hair has always been dead straight, but for some reason those bits went curly when they grew back

I love my bus Moderator stardust's Avatar
    why do you have to put dreads in naked?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain