Thread: how to dry nettles?

Question how to dry nettles?

ive just been nettle picking to make lots of lovely tea, but i want to dry the nettles and store them (ive got LOTS)

BUT most of them arent on the stalks..is mostly leaves,so i cant really hang them up to dry out...

so does anyone know of a quicker way to dry them? i originally thought the oven would work..but im not sure what temp to put them in or how long or anything..?
    my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :)

Still doddering along.... Stardusts Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    ive just been nettle picking to make lots of lovely tea, but i want to dry the nettles and store them (ive got LOTS)

BUT most of them arent on the stalks..is mostly leaves,so i cant really hang them up to dry out...

so does anyone know of a quicker way to dry them? i originally thought the oven would work..but im not sure what temp to put them in or how long or anything..?
    I put my bay leaves loosely in a plastic bag and hung it in the airing cupboard.....worked a treat until I changed to a combi boiler......
    I was always taught to respect my elders but it keeps getting harder to find one.

how long did they take to dry?
    my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My man love you willows epona_greenleaf's Avatar
    ditto just put them in airing cupboard
    Willows girl love him so much :)
    "I object to violence, because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does it permanent." GHANDI

Still doddering along.... Stardusts Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    how long did they take to dry?
    Bay leaves were a good month or so but remember they are shiny skinned leaves and don't let the moisture evaporate so easily....nettles shouldn't take that long....meanwhile just keep using them fresh for tea whilst the others are drying.
    I was always taught to respect my elders but it keeps getting harder to find one.

I use one of these for drying herbs,flowers and leaves...

Scarlett-I can't tell them the truth:they'll panic and think it's witchcraft

Transcending
    cut them at the base or try to get the root aswell and then hang them in a warmish dark place leave them for 7-15 days then they should be dried place them into jars for storing personally living in the countryside we got them all year round so can just go out and pick leaves buds and stems as much as i want lol

thanks guys

though i was a little impatient and struggling to hang up loose leaves so i gave the oven a shot..and yay,it worked
    my

slightly off topic (just) but i was shown how to dry flowers using a microwave on very low last week. worked a treat. Not sure how it would go for herbs to consume, and depends on personal preference re nuking too.
    Don't have a microwave either!
    'Nothing matters, yet Everything matters'