THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What was the first festival you ever went to?

Turning On

What was the first festival you ever went to?

This was mine. Freezing it was. Still enjoyed it,was a little narked that Curved Air and Slade never performed.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Went to 3 Knebworths too.(Floyd/Stones/Zappa) enjoyed em all.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, julianthegypsy

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Midsomer Music Festival in 1991 i think - it rocked!!

but i played at lots of "music festivals" before then
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    in our recorder quartet - all over da south west
    we got really good in the end - furthest we ever played away was the bournemouth music festival i think
    but yeah... the type of music festival you'ms talkin about would've been the one mentioned at the top
    up Midsomer Norton Rugby Club - the following year i stewarded it along with most of my mates whilst we was all majorly drunk on scrumpy
    much fun!!
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, julianthegypsy

reading festival 1996 i think. i went to quite a few readings when i was younger, but wouldn't go now if you paid me!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

stonehenge 1979 -1980-1981
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Is he still going.... Tigerdaddy's Avatar

Originally Posted by stardust
    reading festival 1996 i think. i went to quite a few readings when i was younger, but wouldn't go now if you paid me!

though it was 1990.......I went with a young lady if memory serves.....
    but I do remember being down the front on my own when the Buzzcocks played....

I dont remember the Cramps at all.....

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

i remember getting crushed in a metallica mosh pit one year. i was trying to be cool but it was sooo uncomfortable. some huge great big bloke picked me up over his shoulder and carried me out!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Knebworth. Must have been '75? Roy Harper, Captain Beefheart, Steve Miller and Pink Floyd. And lots of dr.....naughty
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

As i kid my brother took me to one in 1967,first one i got myself too was at Darwen moor in Lancs in 1980.

Aktivator Festival 1988, Bushley. It was a Travellers School Bus benefit. Hawkwind played, can't remember who else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature
    Reading festival 1974 or 5
    Knebworth when Dylan played
    Glastobury when Steve Hillage played late 70s

Turning On

Originally Posted by julianthegypsy
    Knebworth. Must have been '75? Roy Harper, Captain Beefheart, Steve Miller and Pink Floyd. And lots of dr.....naughty
    That's right

Using the force baby... Perthite's Avatar
    T in the fucking Park (the fucking is obligatory, you'd understand if you've ever been) 2001

totally life changing weekend that was
    Everything has changed.

Heavenly Creature
    Reading '92, the nirvana year......glasto '93, never looked back, but we only go to much smaller ones these days, like beautiful days, bearded theory, cropredy to name a few, and countless kent/bulldog bashes/RBCS and other smaller bike rallies in my twenties.

Windsor Free Festival 73

tuned in...turned on....dropped out

i think it was led zep at knebworth i was 15 or deeplyvale cant remember those days were so much fun
    voted nicest member..........thats what they think

Originally Posted by Tam Cameron
    As i kid my brother took me to one in 1967,first one i got myself too was at Darwen moor in Lancs in 1980.
    that would be pickup bank i was there hunny
    voted nicest member..........thats what they think

Glastonbury 2004. I came late to festivals. I had just come out of a 25 year marriage where music didn't figure much - sadly. :/

15 year old son announced he was going to Glastonbury. I said no, he was too young to go on his own and he said, well why don't you take me then? I said yes and 6 of his mates ended up coming too. It was 'interesting'. We had a bloody ball though.
    Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 09-12--2009 at 08:42 PM.

I haven't really had the chance to do festivals....no one to go with
    (but hoping to change that over the next few years
    ). I know it's commercial but went to the V festival in '98 and 2001. Spent most of 98 squashed somewhere at the front of the crowd at the main stage, got trampled by lots of big hairy men when Greenday came on (they trashed the stage after their act, set it alight) and someone crowd surfed over the top of me, I couldn't take the weight so I got flattened into the ground. Got rescued by another big hairy man who yanked me up by my hair...charming!!
    Was great fun overall though

Reading in 87. All I can remember is The Mission and John Ottway and loads of burning plastic in the fires.
    I dislocated my shoulder riding a VT500 round the site. There was a crate of Whitbread in there somewhere too
    'Nothing matters, yet Everything matters'

My parents took me to The Elephant Fayre in Cornwall a couple of times in the early eighties when I was 7 or thereabouts. The first I went to on my own volition was Glastonbury 95 (I think).

Originally Posted by beanstew
    My parents took me to The Elephant Fayre in Cornwall a couple of times in the early eighties when I was 7 or thereabouts.
    The Elephant Fayre in 81 (or maybe 82
    ) was the first festival where we did the cocktail night bar in the bus. The first hour onsite we were worried how the organisers would handle it, but after much talk they agreed to a good spot in the shade just tucked behind the beer tent. Nightly after 2 am there was only one place onsite to find the organisers..in the Foxtale bus

After festooning the shade giving tree with coloured lights we were impossible to miss
    Last edited by Chazz; 10-12--2009 at 02:44 AM.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    stonehenge 1979 -1980-1981
    I was there in '81, don't remember seeing you tho'

First one for me was Reading '78, the police and peter gabriel, can't remember anyone else, nearly put me off of festies for life, luckily glasto 1980 changed that, can't for the life of me remember who I saw there tho'.I'll 'ave a google.
    Kiss My Aura Dora.

Originally Posted by stardust
    Reading was my first too, but my first was in '93...

Megadog beach festival 1998 down in cornwall............ was amazing!!
    'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'