THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 102 103 104 105 106 107 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,544 of 2546

Thread: What was the last movie you watched?: Take 2

Pretty far out film from 1980, competently directed by Ken Russell.
    The special effects are amazing as is the acting.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Just went to see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Was just a load of special effects really but had some very cool decomposing pirates...
    I just watched the. That, good special effects . I watched dawn of the planet of the apes and I am waiting for the newest one to come out on dvd. Can't afford £23 to see it in the cinema.

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Nebraska. About an old boy who thinks he's won a million dollars and decides to walk to the city in Nebraska to collect it, despite everyone telling him it's marketing spam. Slow paced and languid, beautifully filmed in black and white, and a great performance from Bruce Dern. A delight.

-- Posted from the
    --
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

Oh and I watched a dogs purpose , that made me cry,I love sweet animal films

Salmon fishing in the Yemen....it's different..
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Originally Posted by Pheonix2017
    I just watched the. That, good special effects . I watched dawn of the planet of the apes and I am waiting for the newest one to come out on dvd. Can't afford £23 to see it in the cinema.
    £23 for a cinema ticket? I'd move to a cheaper town if I was you.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Black and white classic, school for scoundrels. Old ones are the best!

Leatherface anybody of a nervous disposition would do well to avoid this offering I have never seen a film with so much blood and gore.

Off the beaten track .... Maxal's Avatar
    I feel like I'm making a confession here: I went to see Atomic Blonde. I don't always like it when they make beautiful female / macho heroines, 'just to break gender stereotypes', it can come across as cheesy tokenism. Women can do everything a woman can do and everything a man can do. Yeah, great, well actually people just do bits and pieces . . . The sex wars need to be resolved by looking inward to discover individuality rather than copying men simply because power is wanted and men define power. Obviously if it's genuinely wanted: fine - but that's the question. [I used the word resolved, because I get bored by the repetitive nature of the 'sex war'.]

Nikita, the original French version, is one of my favourite films - for me this is a film where the female heroine is done well, she was a fully conceived character with her own drives . . . with Atomic Blonde, I was also a bit wary of the issue of the selling of beauty, when they do it so extremely - the Channel commercial filmed in the Palais de Versailles with Charlize, blah, blah, blah . . . so maybe you see why I was hesitant to see the film, I have certain issues.

Anyway, I went to see Atomic Blonde and was hypnotised. It was staggeringly good and Charlize was perfect. The Eighties soundtrack was exciting for me, Bowie, Depeche Mode, New Order, all fit in very well with the Berlin backdrop during the fall of the wall. Then there is the character played by Charlize, a violent super spy. It's comic based, so you accept the improbability; that said, this is not Matrix-style flips and dodging bullets - this is really gritty action that I don't think stereotypes gender. The story is gripping and the supporting characters are fully fleshed, not always predictable. The whole thing is beautifully fun.

[Another confession: Fury Road was good too.]

God of War, a bit like a continuation of the Water Margin meets Mr Bean in the Snickers advert in the way that a lot of Chinese sword movies appear to be but quite watchable if you allow for that.
    Not all who wander are lost

Disjointed a comedy series on Netflix about a marijuana store in America funny in parts
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Transcending
    Un prophete, long and gruelling prison film/religious metaphor.
    I like it, it's engaging and keeps my language brain happy.
    The following users think this post is groovy: gary

Originally Posted by Alf M
    Un prophete, long and gruelling prison film/religious metaphor.
    I like it, it's engaging and keeps my language brain happy.
    All the films by that director are worth watching. I really liked The Beat that My Heart Skipped and Dheepan.

Went to see Daphne at the Prince Charles cinema (matinee cheapie - really good). This is a really refreshing London film.

I went to see the film, knowing absolutely nothing about it (and that's probably the best way) except it was about a woman dissatisfied. I thought, that sounds good, I wonder how she resolves that one?

Emily Beecham plays the woman fantastically: this is a real woman, confused, but strong in her own way. Sex, drugs and nihilism, says the papers, but it's a lot more than that. This is not a Jennifer Aniston sparkly story; it's more like following somebody around, except the script is smart. [And it's not a bleak film, it has heart.
    ]

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    A couple of nights ago I watched Martin Scorcese's film, "Hugo". I may have found a new favourite film.
    The following users think this post is groovy: gary, julianthegypsy, Maxal, pyke13

Cold Moon 2016. Not brilliant and too much 'Beetlejuice' influence.

The Tree of Life. A Terrence Malick film. Slow meditation on a American family in the 1950s onwards. I thought it was very good but it has had mixed reviews.

Saw Bar Bahar (In Between) about three Palestinian women caught between traditionalism and modernity. It's the best film on that subject I've seen - all three women were outstanding.

Heavenly Creature
    "I'm alright Jack" ... absolute classic, and what a cast
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Originally Posted by marshlander
    A couple of nights ago I watched Martin Scorcese's film, "Hugo". I may have found a new favourite film.
    It is my most favouritistfilm ever!
    ​Breathing is the most important thing in life, everything else can wait.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, marshlander

Bacon and Gods wrath. Intriguing short about a 90yr old Jewish lady trying bacon for the first time.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Rebecca, such a great movie

Originally Posted by gary
    The Tree of Life. A Terrence Malick film. Slow meditation on a American family in the 1950s onwards. I thought it was very good but it has had mixed reviews.
    I will look out for it. I liked Badlands and Days of Heaven.
    We all lead different lives.

Just watched Will Penny on DVD. One of the most down to earth westerns I have ever seen. It comes with an untypical Hollywood ending.
    We all lead different lives.