Thread: Eating bread making me tired?

Heavenly Creature

Eating bread making me tired?

I've noticed this for a few months now - when I eat bread it makes me want to fall asleep. Does this sound daft?

It didn't used to - I've always eaten lots of it and it's a staple part of my diet, but I've noticed a big difference in my energy levels recently if I have, say, a sandwich at lunch time. Last night I had a really good sleep, but after lunch today (mung bean soup with two wholemeal rolls) I fell asleep for about three quarters of an hour.

I'm pretty sure it's the bread, but what is it that's in the bread that's doing it? And also I really like bread - what can I have instead if I'm right?

"Youíre only given a little spark of madness. You mustnít lose it"

~~ Dragon of the Night ~~ leo-saphira's Avatar
    No your not daft - its a sugar spike in the carbs that you consume. Body turns the carbs (flour) into sugars and uses these first and as it wears off the energy levels drop hence why you drift off to sleep.

Its the same very problem I have (which I started in my thread sometime ago.) and I have started to have bread and sugar again in my diet and I feel total shite again. So I going to have to rekick it again.

What the doctor told me, try to cut down anything that is white and processed - like White Flour, White Sugar, Salt, and funny enough the good old white spud. Swap it for Wholemeal flour for example.

If you can cut out white stuff for a week, and its still happening - get to the doctors for a check up (uncle has this problem where after eating he falls asleep afterwards everytime! - dunno what it is yet)

HTH

Mick
    "The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why"

Quote Originally Posted by spiralite View Post
    I've noticed this for a few months now - when I eat bread it makes me want to fall asleep. Does this sound daft?

It didn't used to - I've always eaten lots of it and it's a staple part of my diet, but I've noticed a big difference in my energy levels recently if I have, say, a sandwich at lunch time. Last night I had a really good sleep, but after lunch today (mung bean soup with two wholemeal rolls) I fell asleep for about three quarters of an hour.

I'm pretty sure it's the bread, but what is it that's in the bread that's doing it? And also I really like bread - what can I have instead if I'm right?

If you're already eating wholemeal (as evinced by the wholemeal rolls), then you are probably getting more sensitive to carbohydrates as you mature. Carbs are tranquilising; that's why folks who are stressed hit the biscuit tin. If you have a salad alongside your mung bean soup, or a smoothie afterwards, you'll be just as nourished and not feel so sleepy.

Or you could try boiling some brown rice or getting some rye or oat bread, and having it with your soup instead of the bread, as maybe you have a wheat intolerance developing. If you try that and it has the same effect as the bread, then it's the carbs not the wheat that are affecting you. Hardly anyone is intolerant of rice, rye or oats.

Quote Originally Posted by tehomet View Post
    nstead of the bread, as maybe you have a wheat intolerance developing. If you try that and it has the same effect as the bread, then it's the carbs not the wheat that are affecting you. Hardly anyone is intolerant of rice, rye or oats.
    Not so....if it's gluten as opposed to wheat that's an issue then rye and oats are just as much of a problem.

I noticed this problem a few years ago, not only did it make me feel tired I was feeling bloated and ill as well. I went on a low carb diet, no sugars or processed food and felt tons better. I missed bread but now buy Burgen linseed and soya.....x

Quote Originally Posted by Noctula View Post
    Not so....if it's gluten as opposed to wheat that's an issue then rye and oats are just as much of a problem.
    Good point, Noctula.

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks everyone - but is gluten intolerance coeliac disease or have I got that wrong?

Also, on the whole my digestive process seems fine, and I thought gluten intolerance caused IBS?

I seem ok with potatoes and pasta (but I'm going to monitor those too now!) it was the bread effect that I've found really noticeable.

So if I'm ok with pasta maybe it's not the wheat or the carbs in it.
    But I'm ok with beer so I don't think it's yeast either..

Anyway, I really appreciate your advice. I'm going to try your suggestions and see if I can identify the culprit!
    "Youíre only given a little spark of madness. You mustnít lose it"

Gluten intolerance and coeliac are totally different. Cut the bread out for two weeks and see how you feel. Then try to reintroduce it, see how that makes you feel
    likes cats, a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by spiralite View Post
    Thanks everyone - but is gluten intolerance coeliac disease or have I got that wrong?

Also, on the whole my digestive process seems fine, and I thought gluten intolerance caused IBS?

I seem ok with potatoes and pasta (but I'm going to monitor those too now!) it was the bread effect that I've found really noticeable.

So if I'm ok with pasta maybe it's not the wheat or the carbs in it.
    But I'm ok with beer so I don't think it's yeast either..

Anyway, I really appreciate your advice. I'm going to try your suggestions and see if I can identify the culprit!
    Apparently something like 1 in 10 people suffer from coeliac disease, most of them undiagnosed. Doctors can do a fairly simple test for it.

The 'fairly simple test' for coeliac isn't 100%, the only certain way to find out is a gut biopsy.
    Eliminating it from your diet is the easiest way to see if wheat is the problem. I'll reply properly when I'm not on my phone.
    likes cats, a bit.

could be dibetes have a test at the chemist..i got a nasty shock...