Thread: How do you get employers references if you're self employed?

How do you get employers references if you're self employed?

As it says..whats the 'right and proper' way people do that if they need them for a tenancy?

And how do people do it of they are on short term contracts so actually getting paid by someone else but working for themselves so 'self employed'?

And a slightly related query..if say someone needed to 'invent' a workplace that came with genuine references but wasnt actually set up yet (as a company/business/charity whatever) is it still possible to do in internet-age or would the fact there was no website/mention of it online through google screw that one completely and make people check with some place that registers theses sort of things officially and find out its not 'real' (yet)?

Not that i'm trying to lie my way into a tenancy or anything

I am not sure exactly what your asking but, if hypothetically you knew people with Ltd companies then it would be no problem getting work references or come to think of it 'trade cards' in Halfords as an example up to 80% off.

you get your 'customers' to give you a reference....

If you were self-employed they might expect references from creditors (such as the bank you have a business account with) or possibly customers, or even the local Chamber of Horrors Commerce....

Erm,ok,I didnt think it was that confusing a question But thanks anyway

I dont need a 'character' reference (unfortunately.The one thing I could legitimatley get theyre not interested in.Apparently i could be an utter bastard who'll strip the roof tiles and pee everywhere as long as I have a job )I need an 'employers reference' as part of the million checks an estate agent wants to do before renting me somewhere to live.I'm not employed so have to bend the truth to jump through that hoop but am shit at lying so wanted to know what the proper way is if someones working but doesnt have an employer to get that reference from so I can stay as close to my truth and the requirements as possible.I dont even know what they want to know from an employer..is it just 'yup,she works here' or 'heres a break down of her salary' or what? It says online its about if someone can pay the rent (fair enough,but I can) and if they change jobs a lot they might not stay long but its a short term let so that cant matter.

So if I was self-employed I'd be expected to have a business account? Bugger.I never did when I was..And I've got a trade card somewhere but when they see a female in a wheelchair theyre gonna guess I'm not a self employed mechanic at the mo so that aint gonna work.

I *can* get someone to lie and back up my reference if I know what to put but I'm not sure how thoroughly theyd check that out?

I don't know if it applies everywhere, but when I was looking at going through an agency they wanted to know I was on 12,000 annually. Otherwise they wanted somebody else as guarantor, no matter how much cash I had.

good luck

Thanks This lot want to *also* do an 'affordability check' to see if I have 2 1/2 times the rent in monthly wages which seems a bit excessive and has confused me about the employer thing,and this is one of the low class agencys,the posh ones must want DNA I've got a guarantor luckily (who knows I *can* afford the rents I'm looking at,I'm not trying to cheat anyone,just get my pikey foot in the door) but they dont want unemployed so the employers reference is apparently vital.I bet they dont care if uber rich people are sat on their arses all day

This is one of the many reasons I live on a bus and have never rented through an agency But needs must at mo
    Bollocks to babylon

Tuning In
    iv had trouble getting bank references as they dont like doing them and some banks charge for them as well,

one agency wanted 150 non-returnable for credit checks.

would not presently employed due to health not be an option?

Quote Originally Posted by colours of thewind View Post
    one agency wanted 150 non-returnable for credit checks.
    I know! All the agencys want non returnable fees to do checks that cost them nowhere near that much and didnt used to cost anything for the prospective tenant.And then they say no anyway,money grabbing bastards If I could get to the owners direct there'd be none of this nonsense,and itd be cheaper for them coz agencys screw the landlords with unneccessary fees too.'Normal' people just want the rent paid and the place not destroyed,agencys take the piss.And they charge a fortune for 'drawing up contracts' now as well,beyond the first page with the particulars of rent and address etc theyre standard things that agencys just print off/photocopy and hand over,and that anyone can do.How can that cost 85 which is one agency told me it did?

would not presently employed due to health not be an option?
    Apparently not Disability benefits still count as 'benefits' so affect peoples mortgages (according to agents,I dont see why) and the two properties we looked at and tried that approach with the agencys they said no,had to be 'employed' so this time I'm going with lying from the off.

Its partly coz i'm looking 'out of my league' as I have such specific needs right now (rather than looking for slum landlords and shitholes like i always lived in before Molly) so 'standards' are higher.Although affordable because I have disability benefits to top up rent with.But when we were looking for my son he was having the same getting turned down everywhere problem even on the lowest levels,coz of his age.Its a landlord/agencys market at the mo not a tenants one so they *can* be fussy and unreasonable coz theres so many people after every damn property down here,and I just dont fit their idea of a good prospect

I love my bus Moderator stardust's Avatar
    I have been accepted twice now on disability benefits as long as I had a guarantor. I was told Disability Benefits isn't the same as JSA in their eyes. I would push a bit further on that one hun, or how would anyone with a disability ever get a place to live? They can't discriminate against someone who is too ill to work, especially if you have a guarantor.

Admittedly it has been sixteen years since I last moved house but when I've told letting agents or landlords that I'm freelance self-employed they just accepted it. A month's rent in advance plus a month's rent as a returnable damage deposit. There's no shame in telling the truth about being self-employed. I didn't think landlords could discriminate against someone because they're disabled. Aren't there disability discrimination laws which cover that? Or am I being incredibly naive? You might try the Federation of Self Employed for advice, though. Best of luck with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by stardust View Post
    I have been accepted twice now on disability benefits as long as I had a guarantor. I was told Disability Benefits isn't the same as JSA in their eyes. I would push a bit further on that one hun, or how would anyone with a disability ever get a place to live? They can't discriminate against someone who is too ill to work, especially if you have a guarantor.
    Its the housing benefit that affects mortages (allegedly) but my support workers been practically begging on the disability front and so far no ones having any of it.I dont tick *any* of the boxes they want ticking so its not 'discrimination' to turn me down,being disabled doesnt mean they *have* to ignore all their requirements and just let to me unfortunatley,private landlords/agencys can turn down whoever they like.And i guess most people in my situation get social housing if its available,which it isnt,or totally unsuitable private sector housing coz thats all there is I dunno,everyones getting more and more worried about the conditions I'm living in as winter kicks in but theres nowhere for me to go so nothing anyone can do,although we're now onto begging adverts so *someone* might take pity on me..
    Twisted thing is,this one place that wouldve been near perfect is sitting empty with no one else even interested but the agents called the landlord and hes said no,coz i dont tick the right boxes I've had a friend call them to see if he'll change his mind but it doesnt look hopeful so it could be sat empty all winter just coz some rich fucker doesnt need the money enough
    Quote Originally Posted by pixoid al View Post
    Admittedly it has been sixteen years since I last moved house but when I've told letting agents or landlords that I'm freelance self-employed they just accepted it. A month's rent in advance plus a month's rent as a returnable damage deposit. There's no shame in telling the truth about being self-employed. I didn't think landlords could discriminate against someone because they're disabled. Aren't there disability discrimination laws which cover that? Or am I being incredibly naive? You might try the Federation of Self Employed for advice, though. Best of luck with it all.
    Youre well out of touch Al,they want blood now and deposits are now often a month and a half,with an extra fee for checking the inventory when you leave which is a new one on me.Noone accepts anything on trust anymore,the default position always seems to be youre a risk and are gonna cheat them until proven otherwise Tisnt a society I want to be part of

Trouble is that the new-ish LHA (local housing allowance) has been set up to "empower" the tenant by paying the rent to the tenant not the landlord. ie you can't ask for it to be paid directly to the landlord unless you can prove that you are incapable of dealing with it yourself.
    Thus lots of landlords are even more reluctant to take HB/LHA tenants. We had 4 f***** get their back rent paid to them and then leave without paying it over before we found a way round it. Technically we provide breakfast so it becomes HB again and the tenant can ask for it to be send directly to the farm. For some people - and I am not saying that Medeusa is one!!! - it is just too tempting when a couple of months money comes through at once.