Thread: VOSA are out of control

VOSA are out of control

Has anyone had any trouble with the "Vehicle Operator Service Agency" in the past year? If so I would really like to hear about it.
    If so then you are not alone.
    I am trying, not through choice but rather through circumstance, to find as much evidence against the conduct of this "Agency" as possible. They are out of control and action is being taken against them, the more cases we have of their misconduct then the harder they can be hit.
    This is not a campaign, this is a very current affair which has not hit the main stream media yet, however it most probably will over the next few months.
    "Conformity is neither clever nor desirable"

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    They do seem to be getting far too big for their boots, quasi police who make up their powers as they go along. I hope they do get put back in their place.

We got ordered off of the A34 on the way to Dayz last year, they were a bit bemused by Dylan, all the blokes came out of the office after he'd been weighed(luckily he had only just been mot'd so I knew he was fine) tbh they didn't have a clue and tried ever so hard to find something wrong, the funniest moment was when they asked me to 'pop the bonnet', i said 'you pass the spanners and I'll have a go'.
    I was glad I was carrying my docs as there seemed some doubt over how heavy he should be.
    They gave up in the end, and 'let us off' with a warning that we should 'secure' our leisure battery, completely ignoring the market stall bars that were rattling around.
    The overall impression was of a load of 'jobsworths' who were out for an easy nick, I think my happy smiling attitude and Dylan's vintage helped, they thought we were bonkers.The copper wouldn't let Phoebe play with his handcuffs either.

~~ Dragon of the Night ~~ leo-saphira's Avatar
    Bunch of tossers...

Check out the truckers forums.. as they clamp down on the HGV side of things with a heavy hand.

Latest one I've heard - the landing wheels on the trailers, if they are not wound up to the top, its a £60 fine for each 360 turn on the handle to its fully up - wankers is all I can say.

And now the rumour has it VOSA is to be sold off as a business... yup - you can see where this is going. Profit profit profit.

It's the making it up as they go along bit that myself and several others I know are going to take them down over. You can't "make up" statute laws, you need an act of parliament to do that. To cut a very long story short I find myself in the situation where if they back down from the situation they have created then I'll only be doing them for damages and harassment, however if they continue then it will be liable, perjury and misconduct in public office.

I've tried some truckers forums but I've got fed up with all the chat about the size of his turbo charger and failed to find any consistent threads about actually taking action (legal or direct) against them. Any useful links would be much appreciated.

"Latest one I've heard - the landing wheels on the trailers, if they are not wound up to the top, its a £60 fine for each 360 turn on the handle to its fully up - wankers is all I can say."

Yes Leo-saphira.
    Our question is. Is that stated as a lawful penalty in a statute or are they making up the £60 a turn bit? Because if they are making up that sort of thing then that is all the better to take them down with. Show us where that is written or get done for perjury.

try

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php

To the handle question - they are making it as they go along - it was posted on the truckers forum a while back

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopi...handle#p746042

The other one.. every pallet inside a curtain sider to be strapped down by a strap either its a pallet of cornflakes or fluffy foam? even though the curtains are weighed ones where they can withstand the weight.. its stupid.

VOSA do not have any common sense, after all drivers are getting "fined" for leaving their digi cards are home etc.. (which can be presented on request when its located.. but no.. they want ££ - so ching ching.. fine the driver for being a human being)

and the pdf file with the fines all listed for us HGV drivers (rolls eyes)

http://www.urtu.com/uploads/VOSA%20F...ty%20Fines.pdf

Thanks for the info. Although I can't read the interesting bit of one of them without joining the forum, which I suppose I could even though I don't drive trucks for a living except the occasional showman's vehicle. A lot of showmen and classic vehicle people have had huge amounts of hassle from VOSA recently and VOSA are attempting to rewrite the statutes themselves about these vehicles.
    They are not going to get away with it so if you do know anyone actually taking them to court over anything then I would be most interested to hear about it.

That fines list is very interesting. Seems to me the only one to discuss is the one for not stopping

Most certainly I would never pay an on the spot fine, they would have to take me to court for it for sure, and at that point I would make it quite plain how I felt about their attitude and pull them right up over the slightest deviation from what is written. Making the slightest claim in court under law, which is not written in law, is a criminal offense.

Noobie
    Your not the only one who has experience of Vosa.
    I have first hand, and also knowledge of some of the tactics that they have been using close to one of the road side check facilities.
    There behavour if it didnt affect indidviduals is comical, there excuse of course is it is all done in the interests of road safety. Bollocks.
    The fixed penalty system proves otherwise, there sole goal is to maintain there sorry existnece on the back of monies received from the fixed penalty system. there understanding of the regulations are made up as they go along and where challenged there excuse is that they work using there discreation, again another load of bollocks.
    would be happy to discuss further with you Feanor

Not Quite a Noobie
    You'll never beat them, they are the law on vehicle safety.
    I was also a trucker and had several run ins with them, and i tried to take them on over a tire.
    Stopped by vosa vehicle checked, prosecuted for a tire near legal limit.
    Now to me a tire is legal or illegal, answer from vosa, that tire will be illegal in approximately 100 miles,I was 10 miles from ATS on my way to have four new tires including the one they said was illegal. went to court with ATS manager as lorry was booked in with him, found guilty £350.00 and 3 points.
    Driving up the M6 one day I had a blow out about 500 yards from slip road at junction 2, arranged ats to come out I drove slowly up the hard shoulder and halfway up the slip road hard shoulder to get off main motorway for safety reasons, police car pulls up with vosa onboard, result £200.00 fine and 3 points driving with a defective tire, just for trying to put the vehicle in a safe place
    How many more examples do you want, got loads i can tell you, point is you WONT beat them, beleive me i have tried.

Hi, I've got a Court case with VOSA on Wednesday 2nd Feb. I was stopped last year in January & got a summons 51/2 months later for not having a Tacho in, no operaters Licence, & no MOT
    My Truck is a recovery truck & when I bought it it had an MOT exemption certificate with it & when the tax ran out I did it on line with no problems, but VOSA say my truck is not exempted as it is a racovery truck not a BREAKDOWN vehicle which are exempt. Re the Tacho I only use it to transport my own Cars & not as a Business in any way so I also don't need an Operaters Licence but they say different.
    It's a long story but VOSA are trying to use a Sledge Hammer to crack a Peanut which is typical of them, they were hoping I would plead Guilty & take the fine plus their high costs, but I am not I'm going not guilty & have quite a few Bullitts to fire at them
    I will let you know how I get on
    I fully agree that VOSA are getting too big for their boots Phil (Jagracer)

Well re my Court case yesterday (2nd Feb) I represented myself (couldn't afford a Solicitor) Fired all of my bullet's at them etc & got conditional discharge on all 3 summons & the Bench dropped the costs down from £1600 that VOSA wanted to £400 with time to pay, so I semi won
    I was congratulated by the 3 on the Bench on the way I had presented my case & the VOSA Solicitor although not pleased told me outside that I had done a bloody good job & even shook my hand, so a little chuffed with myself

Cheers Phil (jagracer)

My Understanding of Recovery/Breakdown trucks is they are only ex from Tacho regs from so many miles from base. Anything futher than its set base the regs come into full force. But however, since your not doing this for "Hire or reward" (ie personal use) tacho regs are out of the window and not required. VOSA knows this so why did they do this? This is how horse box owners get away with it as its for personal use.

I was in court with VOSA yesterday... We told the magistrates that we were pleading not guilty (which they knew already) We then told them that we would be calling their chief prosecution officer, Christopher Slowly (Bristol office) as a witness for the defence to explain to the court just why he is bringing prosecutions against showman based on his opinion of the law, rather than the law the way it is written.
    You guys should have seen the look on their employees face when we dropped that one.
    Case adjourned now till May, but they fought like hell to keep it in Magistrates court rather than take it to crown which is a pretty sure indicator that they will drop the case. If they do go back to court we aim to have Slowly charged with perjury by the end of the hearing.
    Next move will be to go to our local trading standards to start bringing action against them for false prosecution and using a weigh bridge which did not have a current calibration certificate.
    Then there will be my invoice for expenses (at consultancy fee rate of £60 an hour... they are up to about 2.8k and counting) which will will be presented in the normal commercial way and then pursued through a small claims court if not paid on time.

Thanks for your input Santapod... You should have appealed and brought action against them under European law for breaching your right to conduct your business as well as had them for perjury for prosecuting you for their opinion of your tier.

VOSA are a company. They are 60% owned by British gas which in turn are largely owned by some French corporation. They have no right to interfere with your commercial or private life and attempting to stop you by the roadside is an attempt to get you to enter into a contract with them. If they mistreat you in any way or try to enact their interpretation of the law on you then resist them to the end and charge them for and with everything while paying them nothing and insisting that the law is conducted as it is written on pain of perjury.

We are fighting them with the assistance of the very wonderful AIS
    http://www.ais.me.uk/
    (Yes the website is very old but it gives you the contact) The AIS have dealt with about 38 cases in the last few months against VOSA and won every single of them to date.

Don't be awed or frightened by these people. They are a classic example of a company who think they have some power over their fellow man and employ a whole bunch of scum who they indoctrinate to also believe this illusion. Don't fall for it peeps and don't let them talk down to you or upset you in any way, and for heavens sake do not pay them any money! Especially at the roadside! This country has much stronger laws against highway robbery under threat than it does about tyre tread depth. There is nothing to stop you responding to any communication from them by simply NCRTS (No Contract Return To Sender) the letter and putting it back in the post.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Says it all really The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) was formed on 1st April 2003

Thanks for this thread, how awful I hope things turn out ok.

So what happened in may... did you win/lose?

Feanor I dont know where you get your facts from, heres some real ones for you!

VOSA are not a company and never have been. They are a separate Government body being part of the Department for Transport.

All enforcement staff are warranted officers, holding a warrant from the Secretary of State for Transport. This allows entry into premises where vehicles are operated, seizure of documents, cautioning, interviewing,inspection of vehicles, documents, drivers hours, prosecuting on behalf of the Govt, issuing proceedings, appearing as witness, immobilization of vehicles, issuing of fixed penalties etc etc.

You are also required by law to stop when directed to do so by an accredited officer. Accreditation to stop vehicles used to be issued by Chief Constables of the relevant area. Vosa now accredit their own stopping officers. Failure to Stop is an offence.

Vosa do not make it up as they go along I can assure you. Vosa operate under various laws.

Vosa have every right in law to stop any commercial vehicle and also have the right to check private vehicles along with Police support. Vosa can also stop light goods vehicles if its apparent the vehicle is in a dangerous condition or overweight. Vosa can also stop PSVs.

I can assure you that the vast majority of personnel that work at the roadside are not 'scum' and do a difficult job with courtesy and professionalism.

I hope that the above info clears up any confusion.

hi mcdoog .. you seem to know your stuff im impressed with your knowlege ..its stopped any confusion as far as im concerned .. do you have any connection with vosa..iask this as you could be a mine of information regarding vehicle law and regulation which could be usefull to us all..best regards will..