THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Stephen King...All Filler and No Thriller?

Turning On
    Sex
    Male

Stephen King...All Filler and No Thriller?

So, in my younger days, I'm talking between the ages of 12 - 18, I was a huge fan of Stephen King. Recently, I've started volunteering in a charity bookshop and we have his books donated on a fairly regular basis. I noticed a few titles (Tommyknockers, IT, Needful Things) that I remember enjoying and decided to give them a go.
    Well, colour me disappointed. It seems like his books are full of scenes that have no relevance to the plot and I've found myself completely loosing interest. I don't remember his writing being like this.
    Can anyone recommend anything from Mr King that doesn't drag?

Sex
    Female
    Ugh,Needful Things is vile.I was a teen fan too but have really struggled to enjoy his work as an adult,maybe theres something about puberty that fills in the spaces
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Cant help with suggestions but just wanted to sympathise.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    One of my favourite books (and films) as a kid was Salem's Lot - I watched the remake recently and quite enjoyed it, but have no idea whether I'd feel the same about his books anymore - he just fails to interest me nowadays.

Same here enjoyed. His books around the ages of 12 to 15 But can't say I have the urge to read one of his books now
    Our palette for books changes with age

I still enjoy some of his books - particularly The Shining and The Stand (the big ones
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ) plus some of his short story groups, like the one with Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption in it (love the film too
    ) Also quite enjoyed one of his recent ones Under The Dome.

Oh, and still quite enjoy Geralds Game but could just be down to may warped sense of humour in terms of sex-game-gone-wrong

That being said, I haven't actually read any of the others mentioned here

Last edited by Noctula; 14-10--2011 at 08:42 AM.

Sex
    Female
    I highly recommend Misery and Pet Semetary!

Some of his other novels have bored me too, such as Insomnia, Bag of Bones and Dreamcatcher. I seem to remember them starting out good but then drifting, eventually to a crazy but boring ending. I think I've read Carrie too but I can't remember much of it! I always think twice before reading one now.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

Sex
    Male
    The Stand is a great book, but I never got into other Stephen King books
    Cards for Sorrow, Cards for Pain.....

Originally Posted by Starling
    I highly recommend Misery and Pet Semetary!
    Oh yes, Misery

I could never get into Pet Semetery though

Sex
    Female
    I think i have read every one of his books
    , I had another look at them a couple of years ago and must admit i was a little surprised that i enjoyed them so much when i was younger. I too enjoyed one of his latest ones, Under the Dome.
    Hello Tom :D

Turning On
    Sex
    Male
    That's another problem, I find the finale completely unrewarding. Pet Semetary is a good one however, even the film adaptation was pretty good, same as Firestarter in my opinion (with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack).

Sex
    Female
    strange how when i was younger they gripped me more than they do nowadays

the talisman (i think thats what it was called)
    desperation
    geralds game
    read it when i was 13...couldnt sleep that night because i kept imagining the man in the corner with the box of bones!!
    anic:

a short story (forget in which collection/book it was in) called the langoliers now seems ridiculous but at the time the idea of it scared me something rotten

Sex
    Female
    Since I last replied in this thread, I've read The Stand and Salem's Lot - both excellent reads!

Oh, and a short story called "The Man in the Black Suit", which was quite chilling.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"