Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose stud help please :(

Nose stud help please :(

I had my nose pierced last Tuesday. They put in a strait stud and it has a sharp end on it. It keeps catching the inside of my nose and it hurts I also have to put a plaster over it every night as there is nothing stopping it coming out. How long should i leave it in before i change it. Also what is the best thing to swap it for please.
    i know i cant spell.

Is it just an earring? Did they pierce it with that?? I'm in shock that they've left you with it like that! You need an L-shape stud. Putting a plaster on a piercing can make it worse. I would go back and get them to change it or go to a better piercer if they won't.

Looks like an earring with a sharp end. She used a gun thingy. She wont use the L-shape ones as says you cant get them back in when they fall out. No one local do's body piercing. Can i change it my self ?
    i know i cant spell.

Doing it with a gun is so bad and can be dangerous! It should be banned. You can change it yourself but it might be tricky. Better to change it soon and then leave it totally alone. The more it moves around and if you put plasters on it, the more likely it is to get infected.

Can i just get an L-shap one online. She said to dilute TCP to clean is that right. Im a bit upset as wanted it done properly
    i know i cant spell.

Annoyingly Positive Moderator DaisyDreamer's Avatar
    As far as I remember I had mine done the same way, although I could be wrong as it was 17 years ago! I can't get along with studs. I kept catching them on the towel when I dried my face. Everytime I did my nose swelled up consequently I spent most of the time with a swollen nose. I've now got a stainless steel hoop in there as it's much easier and I've had no adverse reactions since changing it.
    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too - Voltaire

I wont a hoop. Think nose has to heal first ?
    i know i cant spell.

I suppose it depends really. As Starpoi says the more you move it and aggrevate it the more chance there is for infection. It may be better to change it sooner than recommended and then leave it alone. I've always found surgical spirit the best thing to clean it with. Soaked my hoop in it before I put it in and cleaned my nose and fingers in it it before changing it.

Don't use TCP, weak surgical spirit or saline.
    Most places won't use guns now as they're barbaric. It's bad enough using them on ear lobes but to use them on noses is a recipe for disaster.

Most nose studs are just bent earrings but you can buy them already l-shaped

A ring would be fine to put in aslong as it's the right size

How do i know what size to buy
    i know i cant spell.

How big is the distance between the hole and the bottom of your nose? You want about 2-3mm bigger than that. You'll probably want it about 1.2mm thick

Thanks will find out when kiddys are asleep
    i know i cant spell.

I've got a 1mm thick 10mm hoop......like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Annealed-Surgical-Steel-BCR-One-Side-Fixed-Ball-Nose-Lip-Hoop-Ring-Choose-Size-/320764347057?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_Cos tumeJewellery_CA&var=&hash=item76c0d90dd 3

but really it depends on how high up your nose it had been pierced.......mines quite high up

Daisy how do you put it in. Do you put the ball on after inserting the hoop ?
    i know i cant spell.

Yes although I no longer wear the ball as I lost it a while ago

Just found this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SURGICAL-S...item2eb52a3f41

It might be easier. Or you can get one with removable bars.....trying searching 'surgical steel hoops' on ebay.....see which one you think would suit you best

I had mine done several times over the years. Its wrong that they used a gun and then just left you with the pointy end inside. I have always changed mine for an l-shaped stud asap but it can hurt like fook! The last time I had a ring put in straight away instead of a stud as rings are simply no bother. Cleaning - warm salty water 3 times a day is the best thing to use hun.

First time I had my nose pierced was with a straight needle and the piercing was threaded with a curved titanium stud - I ended up with what looked like a giant zit. Just an enormous pus bubble So I took the piercing out and let it heal. I then had it re-pierced and that time was with a piercing gun although the gun was just used to make the hole and it was threaded with a curved titanium stud again.

Had the same problem with a pus bubble forming. Was pretty gross. Kept it for about 6 weeks then took it out and replaced it with a gold L-shaped stud and the pus-ness disappeared. Replacing the stud before the piercing had healed was quite painful and it bled a bit but I'm glad I changed it.

The bubble is really common with nose piercings, especially if they're fiddled with too much or over cleaned. Hydrogen peroxide gets rid of them.I never had any problems with my nose stud but working in a piercing shop I have seen every problem (some of which were horrifying!) when people would come to us after other places screwed them up.

I had mine done with a ear piercing gun (by my partner) but with the butterfly bit on the back. Waited for it to heal then took it out, bought a load of cheap silver studs and bent them into an L shape myself.

Don't tell me off Starpoi but I've pierced a few friends noses with the same gun myself. Nobody ever had any problems to my knowledge. Someone told me that they're are fine for noses because the skin that you're piercing has a sort of cartledge in it or something. But to be honest it was about 15 or 16 years ago and we all wanted our noses piercing as cheaply as possible and since Pete had a piercing gun it seemed like a good idea.

I knew someone else (who was a total tool) who used an ear piercing gun to pierce a girls top lip for her. You should of seen the state of her mouth after a day . She had to go to casualty to get it removed, her mouth came up like a balloon.

Don't tell me off Starpoi but I've pierced a few friends noses with the same gun myself. Nobody ever had any problems to my knowledge. Someone told me that they're are fine for noses because the skin that you're piercing has a sort of cartledge in it or something.
    A gun can SHATTER cartledge. No piercing other then an ear lobe should ever ever be done with gun...and even ear lobes are better done with a needle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
    A gun can SHATTER cartledge. No piercing other then an ear lobe should ever ever be done with gun...and even ear lobes are better done with a needle.
    Oh lucky we were all okay. Ignorance is bliss. You'll all be please to know the gun has long since disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by starpoi View Post
    The bubble is really common with nose piercings, especially if they're fiddled with too much or over cleaned. Hydrogen peroxide gets rid of them.I never had any problems with my nose stud but working in a piercing shop I have seen every problem (some of which were horrifying!) when people would come to us after other places screwed them up.
    I just found it strange that it went away within a week of changing from titanium to gold - my aftercare routine/amount of fiddling didn't change at all

Quote Originally Posted by Noctula View Post
    I just found it strange that it went away within a week of changing from titanium to gold - my aftercare routine/amount of fiddling didn't change at all
    It won't have been the metal, you can't be allergic to titanium and gold is far less pure so more likely coincidence or it might just have been the shape of the jewellery or something like that. If the stud has the bend in the wrong place or is too short/long etc then it can cause problems.

European laws from 2001 state piercings should only be done with titanium, special surgical steel (which isn't the normal surgical stuff you buy to put in healed piercings) or gold that has been specially processed (which costs 50 just for a small barbell) because of the risks of other metals. Lots of piercing places don't respect the laws though

Re guns, although the studs have a point on them, they're not very sharp and just punch through the flesh which causes a lot of bruising and trauma to the surrounding area. Also, piercing guns can't be sterilised. A needle slices cleanly through with little trauma and much less risk of swelling.
    likes cats, a bit.