THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Any birdwatchers want to try this?

Right this completly probo off topic but i was working on a roof and in the garden there was robins and this great big robin like thing it had a really bright red breast like really red not orange y like a robins and a black cap ed head it was sort of like a blackbird size, what the hell was it? i am fascinated never seen anything like it before the labourer i work with spotted it but made so much row by the time i got my camera it had done one.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by gee
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Right this completly probo off topic but i was working on a roof and in the garden there was robins and this great big robin like thing it had a really bright red breast like really red not orange y like a robins and a black cap ed head it was sort of like a blackbird size, what the hell was it? i am fascinated never seen anything like it before the labourer i work with spotted it but made so much row by the time i got my camera it had done one.
    Always difficult to be sure just from a description but a male Bullfinch has a bright reddish breast with a black cap- it's got a chunky build but is smaller than a blackbird.

it might have been but im sure this thing looked bigger than a robin, i think it maybee was one.

we used to get quite a lot of nuthatches.

individual fruit trifle beachcomber's Avatar
    There was a nuthatch that used to come to the garden the last time I was on holiday in Shropshire - we don't get them up here so it was a total novelty!

I haven't started making a list yet, but the woodpecker was in my garden again yesterday morning for the second time, and on Friday I watched the barn owl hunting up and down the grassy verge next to the wood - during the day! I've never seen him in daylight before.

I'll need to start my list tomorrow.
    Let's Marvel At Owls :)

Mine currently stands at a disappointing 8. Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Magpie, Malard, Mute Swan, Wood Pidgeon and Grey Wagtail. It's just to wet for anything to be out and about.

Originally Posted by martin s
    Mine currently stands at a disappointing 8. Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Magpie, Malard, Mute Swan, Wood Pidgeon and Grey Wagtail. It's just to wet for anything to be out and about.
    Ah, it's still only the 3rd January. I only added raven and herring gull yesterday - but it was blowing a hooley all day so that's my excuse

There's a great grey shrike holding a winter territory about half a mile down the road from me on some of the cleared forestry and I'm half tempted to go for a wander to see if I can spot it as I've never seen one before. I know we've got a lot of birds of prey around here (peregrines, buzzards, red kites, kestrels, hen harriers etc) as well but most of the time I forget to take my binoculars anywhere. I haven't made bird lists since I used to go to Skokholm in my teens - I wasn't a great birder then and I'm embarrassingly bad now considering my job

Did see some little egrets the other week when I was on the train past Llanelli but guess as that was 2011 it doesn't count now.

10minute drive to my mum's this morning - only so much you can look for when concentrating on the road
    ...... Chaffinch, feral pigeon, buzzard, wood pigeon, peregrine falcon. And a robin in the garden.

Well I did manage to add egret yesterday and a gadwell which has mysteriously been hanging around on the river.

Saw a few owls tonight. Think they were little owls and a tawny owl.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

There's nothing like a few little woodland/garden birds to cheer up Newcastle city centre! I heard a loud song coming from nearby and eventually spotted a tiny blue tit sat in one of those decorative "square-shaped" trees, in the middle of town
    Then on my way home, crossing a bridge, there was a flock of ~6 goldfinch circling the motorway. Usually, I'm guaranteed to see a little flock of long tailed tits on my way into town, in a particular group of trees, but didn't see them today.

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Today I was treated to a beautiful chorus from a tree and i think they were chaffinch, a blue tit and blackbird
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

Went up to Titchwell today- a great RSPB reserve on the north Norfolk coast. Bright + breezy with a lot of excellent birds including about 20 species of wader, cracking views of a water rail down in a ditch about 2 metres away, many wildfowl + in the alders 3 species of redpoll- lesser, mealy + an arctic. Puts me on 96 species for the year.

A highlight was some great close views of a male Chinese water deer on the saltmarsh grazing totally unconcerned by his admirers- love the canine tusks!

barn owl tonight and a yellow wagtail this morning
    inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness

Originally Posted by colours
    barn owl tonight and a yellow wagtail this morning
    Must have been a grey wagtail which are yellow below as yellow wagtails are only summer visitors here.

saw a small buzzard...maybe one of last years babies...hunting alone

Went to one of the reservoirs around London this morning with some good birds including great northern diver, black-necked grebe, a juvenile shag fishing with cormorants, smew + scaup. Takes me over a 100 species for the year so far.

Originally Posted by gomphus
    A highlight was some great close views of a male Chinese water deer on the saltmarsh grazing totally unconcerned by his admirers- love the canine tusks!
    They are so weird.... they look like they should be extinct!

Doing well on the bird count gomphus. I haven't been out once yet this year. Too busy with job apps

Originally Posted by Starling
    They are so weird.... they look like they should be extinct!

Doing well on the bird count gomphus. I haven't been out once yet this year. Too busy with job apps
    Know what you mean- they do have a slightly primitive look to them.

Good luck with the job apps- I know it's not easy atm to find work. Still a bit of connection to nature will lift your spirits!

individual fruit trifle beachcomber's Avatar

I had a red kite in my garden yesterday!! I didn't even know we had them about here - the nearest one I've seen was about 4 or 5 miles away. VERY chuffed!!
    Let's Marvel At Owls :)

Had long tails on the bird feeder earlier. Also a jay hanging around the garden for awhile which has only happened once before.

Originally Posted by gomphus
    Must have been a grey wagtail which are yellow below as yellow wagtails are only summer visitors here.
    thankyou gomphus - had I just not noticed they had yellow bits before?

saw a pair of Jays in the woods today
    inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness

a pair of wood pigeons and a wagtail

what do jays look like? Small black with yellow\orange beak? Also saw a duck