THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Any birdwatchers want to try this?

Went to a couple of hides this morning. So, to add to my list: mallard, canada goose, moorhen, lapwing, snipe, redshank, shelduck, teal, black-headed gull, heron, long tailed tit, coal tit, great tit, chaffinch, robin, bullfinch, dunnock, sparrowhawk, red kite, yellowhammer, nuthatch and pheasant.

Also saw a juvenile gull but I wasn't sure what it was.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Sarah
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Small black with yellow\orange beak?
    That sounds like a blackbird.

Jays are quite colourful. browny/orange, with black, white and blue on the wing, and some black on the face. They're about the size of a magpie.

Originally Posted by Starling
    Went to a couple of hides this morning. So, to add to my list: mallard, canada goose, moorhen, lapwing, snipe, redshank, shelduck, teal, black-headed gull, heron, long tailed tit, coal tit, great tit, chaffinch, robin, bullfinch, dunnock, sparrowhawk, red kite, yellowhammer, nuthatch and pheasant.

Also saw a juvenile gull but I wasn't sure what it was.
    That's a nice little list. Yellowhammer is a bird I struggle to see down here which is a shame as it looks/sounds good.

Originally Posted by gomphus
    That's a nice little list. Yellowhammer is a bird I struggle to see down here which is a shame as it looks/sounds good.
    Really? They're very common on farmland in the North East. I do the RSPB V&FA surveys, so I see them every year (also on my BBS surveys). I was surprised to see one today though as I was in woodland. Love their song too... one of my favourites!

We counted ~800-1000 lapwing. Looked like they were going through the change (plumage!).

individual fruit trifle beachcomber's Avatar
    Here's my list so far:

Seen:
    Chaffinch, house sparrow, goldfinch, blackbird, robin, starling, yellowhammer, greenfinch, red kite, buzzard,
    great spotted woodpecker, carrion crow, jackdaw, wood pidgeon, collared dove, whooper swan, blue tit, great tit, coal tit, fieldfare, siskin.
    And geese, but I haven't identified what kind they are!

Heard:
    Tawny owls, curlew.

Has anyone seen any waxwings this winter?
    Last edited by beachcomber; 10-01--2012 at 07:39 PM.
    Let's Marvel At Owls :)

Originally Posted by beachcomber
    Here's my list so far:

Seen:
    Chaffinch, house sparrow, goldfinch, blackbird, robin, starling, yellowhammer, greenfinch, red kite, buzzard,
    great spotted woodpecker, carrion crow, jackdaw, wood pidgeon, collared dove, whooper swan, blue tit, great tit, coal tit, fieldfare, siskin.
    And geese, but I haven't identified what kind they are!

Heard:
    Tawny owls, curlew.

Has anyone seen any waxwings this winter?
    There are small numbers of waxwings around though haven't seen one yet this winter. however it's not been a big influx year like the last couple of years. Last winter i saw lots around London including a stunning flock of 175 in a cherry tree preening.

I'm guessing you're in Scotland- so if you're geese are wild birds probably most likely to be pinkfeet, greylags or barnacles + the latter would be really distinctive. I'm looking forward to seeing hundreds of pinkfeet this weekend as I'm off to Holkham in Norfolk which is a great place for wild geese. Love the calls- a musical "wink-wink" as they fly over.

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    thanks for info
    ok my list so far is:
    Chaffinch
    Blue tit
    Blackbird
    Pheasant
    Crow
    Wood pigeon
    Male mallard
    Buzzard
    Wagtail
    Chickens
    Heard: Barn Owl and Doves

Originally Posted by gomphus
    I'm guessing you're in Scotland- so if you're geese are wild birds probably most likely to be pinkfeet, greylags or barnacles + the latter would be really distinctive. I'm looking forward to seeing hundreds of pinkfeet this weekend as I'm off to Holkham in Norfolk which is a great place for wild geese. Love the calls- a musical "wink-wink" as they fly over.
    They hang out with the whooper swans in the field in front of my house. I've only seen them at a bit of a distance and in flight, I'll need to get the binoculars out to see them properly.

I might go the the beach tomorrow if the weather's ok, see what else I can see

(oh, and I'll add my chickens to the list too!
    )

pigeons, kestrel, and little birds darting about and swooping like swifts or swallows but just a single tail plume? What might that've been? Wagtails maybe? Saw from the bus so hard to tell markings. Heard a gull

I saw my first siskins of the year feeding on the seeds of alder cones-pretty little finches; there was also a pair of golfinches just above my head having a good preen + bit of sub-song.

Just identified a bird i saw down on the river bank yesterday.. a water pipit
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

I drove through Scotland yesterday and saw lots of geese flying overhead (couldn't tell what most of them were!).

Saw a buzzard really close up! It was flying alongside our car, on the verge, at eye level - amazing.

Saw a buzzard really close up! It was flying alongside our car, on the verge, at eye level - amazing.
    I think we take buzzards for granted a bit up here (I have a pair of them who sit in the trees at the bottom of my garden almost every day), but I've never seen one in England - are they rare down there?

Originally Posted by beachcomber
    I think we take buzzards for granted a bit up here (I have a pair of them who sit in the trees at the bottom of my garden almost every day), but I've never seen one in England - are they rare down there?
    No- they are supposed to be the most common bird of prey now, though locally they may not be. As far as i can remember they were common in the south-west + in the north but scarce in the east, but in recent years they have been spreading eastwards due to less persecution+ I now often see birds even around the London suburbs.

Yes, they are common in England. Lots in Northumberland and I saw a few when I was in Bedfordshire. I live in the city though, so I don't see them regularly. And they're usually soaring overhead, never as close as that!

We have loads down here in Somerset and over the years have gotten to know where they are - i find them very comforting to watch
    Lee's gone down the library to get me some bird watching books out
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

Popped into Kensington Gardens briefly between jobs today + plenty of waterbirds on the Long Water- great crested grebes starting to display, cormorants sitting on posts, Egyptian Geese calling at the top of trees, lots of loafing shoveler, pochard + tufted ducks + plenty of gulls.

My favourite was a tawny owl sat out of his cavity stretching in the sun + preening; also a nuthatch calling very noisily + some goldfinches feeding in some birches.

Lots of mallards and a heron today, all from a moving car. Going to go for a walk tomorrow to see what I can see.

Mum and dad have been watching a sick pigeon in their garden for the past few weeks - its bottom jaw was really swolen and its beak was in a bit of a mess. I was there today and it came down to the bird table where it nearly choked on a peanut, so I went out and it didn't fly away. It just let me pick it up, so I took it to the vet. She said the vet would look at it and they'd give it to the SSPCA if they thought it could be saved, and if not put it to sleep. I think I know what they'll have done

I feel guilty now. Why do all my rescue attempts end this way?

Amazing day up at Holkham in north Norfolk yestreday- surrounded by thousands of birds! Huge numbers of pink feet geese- about a fifth of the world's population winters in north Norfolk + we found the rare Ross's goose amongst them.

My first grey partridges for some years (as well as red-legs) , big flock of scoter on the sea, a couple of exquisite shore larks with skylarks, peregrine stting amongst the geese, a pale buzzard sat on a post, marsh harrier putting up some geese + a delightful barn owl cruising back + forth.

In addition to the birds a couple of hares + a muntjac.

Just seen first coal tit of the year on the bird feeder in the garden. Unfortunatly squirrels have discovered the feeders and eaten everything. Anybody got any tips for keeping the away?

Originally Posted by martin s
    Just seen first coal tit of the year on the bird feeder in the garden. Unfortunatly squirrels have discovered the feeders and eaten everything. Anybody got any tips for keeping the away?
    You can get squirrel proof feeders- though occasionally I've seen a young one squeeze behind the bars. I've also seen (but not tried) a contains a capsicum type product which is supposed to deter squirrels but birds don't mind it.

Sounds like a lovely day gomphus.

I did my WeBS today. I don't have a very exciting site: black-headed gull, herring gull, great black-backed gull, mallard, tufted duck and cormorant (or maybe a shag... need to discuss!).

Then went for a walk around the coast. Saw lots of the usual woodland species and then rock pipit, redshank and golden plover at the lighthouse. Went down onto the beach and was stood amongst a flock of sanderling, with some turnstone and oystercatcher. It was amazing to be so close to them... they're teeny tiny!

Sounds like a lovely day gomphus.

I did my WeBS today. I don't have a very exciting site: black-headed gull, herring gull, great black-backed gull, mallard, tufted duck and cormorant (or maybe a shag... need to discuss!).

Then went for a walk around the coast. Saw lots of the usual woodland species and then rock pipit, redshank and golden plover at the lighthouse. Went down onto the beach and was stood amongst a flock of sanderling, with some turnstone and oystercatcher. It was amazing to be so close to them... they're teeny tiny!
    I was doing my WeBS today as well - I've got 2 sites; one along the Thames between Barnes- Putney Bridges + a small nature reserve in Barnes. Always plenty of teal this time of year + love watching them display + whistle.