THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Any birdwatchers want to try this?

Any birdwatchers want to try this?

Starting tommorow I'm going to try and list every type of bird I see for a year. Anyone else up for doing this?

do you mean list every one every time you see one, or just every species once? :P
    we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

Just once per species.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by elfqueenofrohan
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    do you mean list every one every time you see one, or just every species once? :P
    Many birders do this. Basically you record each species they see in the wild each year, so you count each one once. Many also have a life list which are the birds they've seen altogether for the UK. Also some have garden, local patch, European + world lists. Some keep lists of other things such as mammals, reptiles, butterflies, dragonflies, orchids, etc.

I tend to do this as my RSPB diary always has a check list in it to tick off. usually out most of my spare time doing wildlife stuff so I'm up for it. I'm planning to be at one of my local sites in west London suburbs tomorrow if it's dry.

Many birders do this. Basically you record each species they see in the wild each year, so you count each one once. Many also have a life list which are the birds they've seen altogether for the UK. Also some have garden, local patch, European + world lists.
    Well my Dad has always kept a year list so I thought I'd give it a go.

Which site are you visiting Gomphus?

Originally Posted by martin s
    Well my Dad has always kept a year list so I thought I'd give it a go.

Which site are you visiting Gomphus?
    Most likely Ruislip Woods NNR which includes the Lido which is about 5 miles from home; might also visit the country park at the bottom of the road. On a good day should see 40-50 species.

I mean to do this every year and I started keeping a list for the Bird Atlas but never really kept it up (I always seem to
    see a lot of oystercatchers - guess I spend too much time at the beach
    ). Maybe 2012 is the year for it?

My man love you willows epona_greenleaf's Avatar
    I am not very good at identifying birds.
    Willows girl love him so much :)
    "I object to violence, because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does it permanent." GHANDI

Originally Posted by epona_greenleaf
    I am not very good at identifying birds.

AND

Well,I started my list with turkey......
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

48 species locally including Buzzard, Fieldfares, Goldcrest + Redpolls. For people in other parts of the country flocks of Ring-necked Parakeets might seem strange but part of everyday life around here!

Originally Posted by gomphus
    48 species locally including Buzzard, Fieldfares, Goldcrest + Redpolls. For people in other parts of the country flocks of Ring-necked Parakeets might seem strange but part of everyday life around here!
    And in Brighton - I remember feeling very confused when I was about 10 seeing them in a tree when I went to the park

I'm in
    inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness

Off to a slow start. Robin, Blackbird and Blue Tit so far and some gulls that were flying to high up to identify. Due to working nights I haven't really seen much daylight in the last couple of days.

Are you including birds you hear? In some habitats (e.g. woodland) you hear a lot more than you see. I do a lot of birdwatching, but never make lists.

I haven't left the house yet this year (!). Out of my window I've seen/heard a mistle thrush, jackdaw, magpie, dunnock, blackbird, goldfinch, woodpigeon and blue tit.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

Originally Posted by Starling
    Are you including birds you hear? In some habitats (e.g. woodland) you hear a lot more than you see. I do a lot of birdwatching, but never make lists.

I haven't left the house yet this year (!). Out of my window I've seen/heard a mistle thrush, jackdaw, magpie, dunnock, blackbird, goldfinch, woodpigeon and blue tit.
    I know most birders will count birds they hear unless it's a lifer. I always try + see a bird but some like Tawny Owl, Cetti's + Grasshopper Warblers can take some effort to see.

I added another 8 species in Richmond Park (total 66) with Grey Wagtail + Stonechat highlights.

Forgot about this until about 4pm this evening - quick glance out of the kitchen window gave me blue tit, great tit, house sparrow, carrion crow, starling, collared dove and blackbird. Roll on April - I'll get to see the cuckoos again (not that I'm wishing my life away
    )

Heavenly Creature
    I am no birdwatcher but there are lots of birds on the lake and surrounding countryside.
    Thing is I see the same ones all the time -heron, cormorant, geese, ducks, coots, swans, terns, and kites being most common, plus I hear cuckoos and woodpeckers later in the year. oh and don't forget the pheasants and the odd kingfisher

I am crap at identifying birds or birdsong though.

Originally Posted by groove st
    I am no birdwatcher but there are lots of birds on the lake and surrounding countryside.
    Thing is I see the same ones all the time -heron, cormorant, geese, ducks, coots, swans, terns, and kites being most common, plus I hear cuckoos and woodpeckers later in the year. oh and don't forget the pheasants and the odd kingfisher

I am crap at identifying birds or birdsong though.
    You certainly won't be seeing terns at the moment as they don't usually return until April.

Heavenly Creature
    That's a generalisation, oi mean my post is a generalisation of what comes and goes here. the coots aren't about much at the moment either nor is the cormorant.But that's about the birds we are used to seeing in this little corner of the country
    at different times of the year as and when

Personally I'm only including ones I've actually seen as I've never been that good at linking the song to the bird. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more this year.

Originally Posted by martin s
    Personally I'm only including ones I've actually seen as I've never been that good at linking the song to the bird. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more this year.
    Now is a good time to start learning as there are only a relatively few residents singing. Near me the ones I'm hearing singing the most are Robins + Song Thrushes, but also Mistle Thrush, Wren + an occasional snatch from Dunnock + Goldcrest.

seen mistle thrushe, fieldfare, buzzard, black bird, crow, raven, blue and great tits, house sparrow, robin, chaffinches, lesser wotsit woodpecker and chickens and call ducks so far. also wanting to learn more than the songs of a few.
    inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness

Originally Posted by gomphus
    Now is a good time to start learning as there are only a relatively few residents singing. Near me the ones I'm hearing singing the most are Robins + Song Thrushes, but also Mistle Thrush, Wren + an occasional snatch from Dunnock + Goldcrest.
    If I hadn't have heard the mistle thrush I would never have noticed it (or the redwing that was sat near it the first time!). I hear it all the time now and see it sitting in trees and on tv aerials. It must have a new territory around my area. It's song can't be mistaken though - depressed blackbird!

Before I learnt bird songs I had no idea there were so many species living around me.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"