Thread: Carrying and storing calor gas in a campervan

Carrying and storing calor gas in a campervan

Hi ya, I've got my van and we are doing a quick rough job to get it passed the DVLA so I can get cheap insurance
    I want to have a fixed cooker, does anyone know if there are set regulations for carrying a gas bottle. All I've found out so far is that I should have a vent in the floor in case it leaks
    How to you store yours ?

As far as I know there is no regs for self-build. I would recomend a smaller size bottle and there are some new light weight bottles on the market. If you settle for a small bottle and weigh it often, you should be able to gauge when you haven't enough gas for your travels and if you have a spare full back at base & use that one for long gatherings or when spending more than a week its advisable to take both bottles and refill the empty for storage after. easy isolation access is a must. So if its stashed away in a cupboard try and make a access hatch. I never leave the gas turned on when not in use. the vents you have mentioned is a must, as the gas is heavier than air and falls to the floor. Don't go buying/renting a gas bottle of a specific size. blag any old bottle and trade it in for the size you need. This won't apply for the light weight bottles, but if you aquire one of those, you wana keep hold of it for life. Strap your bottle down well or build a suitable cradle/storage box, as far away from your woodburner. Near a door is a good idea, but not always practical. There are refillable gas bottles available and these can be filled up at some LPG petrol stations but they come at a price. We wana see pictures
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

~~ Dragon of the Night ~~ leo-saphira's Avatar
    Thanks Alice as I was thinking about asking this question too (and OP beat me to it) as I need to fit a gas cooker as a temp measure to get it passed DVLA and insurance then remove to fit my woodburner in. (but keep the gas cooker and bottle as a back up)
    "The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why"

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    try frank pickles for insurance, no need for dvla etc.or time limit on build
    vent in floor and pipes must be secured to wall. use propane as it does not freeze, butane does. calor only except trade up or down bottles of their own brand

alo think you will find,dvla will not change vehicle over to a camper that easy, words are, HAS TO LOOK LIKE A CAMPER, ie flash stripes fancy windows modern tat. they keep changing the goal posts

~~ Dragon of the Night ~~ leo-saphira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wandering gypsy View Post
    alo think you will find,dvla will not change vehicle over to a camper that easy, words are, HAS TO LOOK LIKE A CAMPER, ie flash stripes fancy windows modern tat. they keep changing the goal posts
    yes - reading between the lines on material out on the web I have settled in getting a bike rack, ladder, and wheel holder to make it look like a camper on the outside. Its all to do with police/vosa and all.. as if its a bus (that you converted) it musn't look like a "bus" as per such after the conversion. Like Harry said window tat helps (hopfully my tat will do my camper some justice lol)
    "The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why"

curtains is always a good one. my camper had an outside access door and the gas bottles were under the side skirts of the van in an open sided cage affair so were technically outside.
    Grendel
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.

I have a sticker on the outside of mine (added by previous owner) near where the gas bottle sits. It is a hazardous explosion type sticker. I presumed it was in case of a crash, it would tell the fire engine people that there is Gas on board.

image source: http://www.findtheneedle.co.uk

Not sure if it is mandatory though.

Regards
    Box.

Quote Originally Posted by wandering gypsy View Post
    try frank pickles for insurance, no need for dvla etc.or time limit on build
    vent in floor and pipes must be secured to wall. use propane as it does not freeze, butane does. calor only except trade up or down bottles of their own brand
    I am insured with Frank Pickles, but they said I only had 30 days to send off evidence to the dvla, must be something new, they said my insurance would be invalid if I didn't have proof of posting the application within the 30 days.
    We have camping gas, not sure what sort of gas that is, doh !

must be summat new,cos they never said ought like that to me,ah did you tell them it was a mini bus?, cos insurnce companies tend not to like them.van with windows are the key words. camping gas tends to be butane [blue bottle] it freezes, when used change to propane red/orange bottle,calor is best as tis obtainable everywhere and you,ll need a new regulator

Thanks for the info, I'll do that.

I run the small 4.5kg bottles of butane (blue) - I have 2 bottles which means one bottle is always full and ready to rotate round. Come the colder winter months - I go to a main calor gas dealer and they change 1 of the small blue bottles for an even smaller 3.9kg propane (red) one.

The 4.5kg bottle gives me about a month and a half cooking and boiling kettle. Or 1 month if I am using it for the gas fire as well.

I went for the smaller bottles because of storage space available. The bigger the bottle you buy, the cheaper the price per kg.
    At the moment I am paying 16 for 4.5 (this used to be 13.00 last year - but that price is now long gone).

A 15kg butane bottle (more than 3 times the size of mine) costs 33.00 (a little more than double the price of 4.5kg bottles). This makes a great saving, but you also loose storage space too. Carrying two 15kg bottles around means even more storage space lost.

Regards
    Box

Redhead Rollercoaster Enigma_rising's Avatar
    lol that reminds me, is my gas bottle and regulator stillin your shed? lol i cant find that or the cooker we share...hoping i left it at your place!
    Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

Yep, the gas is def here, we have lots of cookers, take your pic and just use one lol.

Redhead Rollercoaster Enigma_rising's Avatar
    woo hoo!, lol thanks
    Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

Awaiting Email Activation
    A 15kg butane bottle (more than 3 times the size of mine) costs 33.00

A 12kg butane bottle is only 20, price set by calor gas, and the bottles are a lot slimmer than the 15kg bottles

Quote Originally Posted by THELKRELD View Post
    A 15kg butane bottle (more than 3 times the size of mine) costs 33.00

A 12kg butane bottle is only 20, price set by calor gas, and the bottles are a lot slimmer than the 15kg bottles
    interesting - will look into that!
    thanks.
    Box

if your just using yr van in the summer then butane is fine, but if your gonna be an all year rounder then propane (orange ones) is best as it doesnt freeze. we used to carry 2 x 20 summin kg cylinders about with us, one for use and one to get filled when the other was nearly empty. we had a huge bus tho which had a belly box for storing them but it would only fit one of the bigger ones on its side. just had the other inside whilst travelling.

store them outside when you using your van (obviously). ensure the valve at the top is off when moving it about inside yr van. you shouldnt have any problems as long as your sensible.

is you're gonna buy propane then find a roofing suppliers to get it from as they were always cheaper than calour gas, best we ever paid was 22 for 19 or 20 kg (cant remember) and lasted us for weeks doin most of our hot water and all our cooking for 3 of us... AND they used to take any make of cyclinder, some places will only sell you a full one of a certain make for an empty of a certain make.
    we had a calor and a flogas, so we could get a refill from anywhere. worth remembering if you cant afford to go to camping shops for your gas

Thanks for the tip, I'll try my local roofer.