THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Infamous hippy hangouts - do you know of any?

Infamous hippy hangouts - do you know of any?

A friend and I were trying to list all the famous places that hippies hang out; came up with these:

- Freak Street, Kathmandu, Nepal
    - Christiana, Denmark
    - Avebury, England
    - Goa, India

Got any more to add?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature
    I have never been there but I hear from a mate who has travelled Aus several times that there's a cool little pocket of hippies in a little place called Nimbin. (Check my spelling on that one! )

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by groove st
    I have never been there but I hear from a mate who has travelled Aus several times that there's a cool little pocket of hippies in a little place called Nimbin. (Check my spelling on that one! )
    I was there about 20 years ago and it was total hippyville have never seen anything like it since. This guy walked past me and he had big feathery white wings actually stitched into the skin on his back. Everybody in the town looked completely stoned there were girls skipping around the place playing harps and all it was mental!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lightbringer

its nt what it was twenty year ago emma. its a heroin infested dump now. If your not a hippy and thik that drugs make the hippy then its a novelty to see but thats all. All the people with their heads screwed n right moved at to the surrounding Northern rivers area and started lives. That just left the watched up no hopers who survive off selling drugs to tourists who find the relaxed policing hilarious. Wont start ranting now though.

However the surrounding area and nearby towns (ie. Mullumbimby, channon, Byron, Ballina etc) are still gorgeous little hippy spots. strongly reccomend it all. Great energy.

Also what about Orgiva in Spain

Originally Posted by LostChris
    its nt what it was twenty year ago emma. its a heroin infested dump now. If your not a hippy and thik that drugs make the hippy then its a novelty to see but thats all. All the people with their heads screwed n right moved at to the surrounding Northern rivers area and started lives. That just left the watched up no hopers who survive off selling drugs to tourists who find the relaxed policing hilarious.
    I think that fits: infamous adj 1 having a very bad reputation; notoriously bad. 2 formal evil; vile; disgraceful.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

its nt what it was twenty year ago emma. its a heroin infested dump now. If your not a hippy and thik that drugs make the hippy then its a novelty to see but thats all
    Ach that makes me really sad it was such a unique place and it seemed to have a really strong community spirit

I agree that Nimbin is now a bit of a dump. Byron Bay was quite nice when i was there as are some of the other towns in that area.
    Other hippy places-
    Glastonbury
    Totnes
    Dahab in Sinai, Egypt
    Various places in India. Vashisht in himachl pradesh

There are lots of places that used to be Hippy hangouts but probably became something different because of their popularity- Ibiza, Ko Phan Ghan, most of Goa. At what point does a Hippy hangout stop being this? Many of these places still have lots of Hippies but they also have lots of other people as well.

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Originally Posted by gary
    There are lots of places that used to be Hippy hangouts but probably became something different because of their popularity- Ibiza, Ko Phan Ghan, most of Goa. At what point does a Hippy hangout stop being this? Many of these places still have lots of Hippies but they also have lots of other people as well.
    Yeah i think it`s just that the places become too popular and well known so loose their uniqueness. Koh Phanghan is a good example..the popularity of the full moon party turns that island into a total hell hole every month
    Last edited by emmadilemma; 09-03--2012 at 10:50 AM.

Noobie

~~~~~~~~

glad for see you here man

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    frome, bruton, stony littleton long barrow, glastonbury but you need to have a well-developed bullshit radar to spot them down glasters
    any gathering of birthworkers is rammed with hippies
    st werburghs in bristol, the kennet bradford on avon...
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

thats your hotspots for hippies in abundance where i'm from anyway...also used to be afflecks palace and on the 8th day in Manchester, todmorden oop ont'ills and 9 ladies always has hippies about

Divine Light princesstigermouse's Avatar

Originally Posted by groove st
    That's actually a commune, isn't it? I didn't go there, but I did visit Byron Bay (if I remember rightly, Nimbin is close by) which is a famous hippy hangout and general artsy place. Someone openly offered to sell me magic mushrooms in the street there, with one of those trays around his neck, like his was selling matchsticks! Seriously.

I didn't realise Christiania was a hippy hangout, I thought it was more like a drug town with gangs and whatnot.
    xx spring xx

Tuning In
    outside council officeses somewhere on the isle of white

Also what about Orgiva in Spain
    yeah i was gunna say orgiva, only went to beneficio (is that spelt right?) but that was probably the hippiest place i have ever been, was lovely!
    Who ever put that picture here is very witty and awesome! :D

Stayed in Beneficio a few times, a beautiful valley with lots of lovely people. There's a number of different 'scenes' around Orgiva.
    The following users think this post is groovy: MrsP

Brighton!

Not Quite a Noobie Red Sunflower's Avatar
    Hebden( is that how you spell ) Bridge in Yorkshire very hippie and set in the most beautiful valley......lots going on the area hippie haven since late 60s.....the canal runs through the centre....
    Last edited by Red Sunflower; 10-03--2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spellings
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lightbringer

thats where i meant not Tod! Hebden's lovely
    X

Aw Tod has hippys too, they probably migrated from hebden when the tofu weaving became mandatory!
    We come with justice and fire. We come with honour and ideas. We come with decency and desire. We come now and we come as unstoppable as the rain

Divine Light princesstigermouse's Avatar
    I've been reading about Christiania today, and it's way more interesting than I realised. I really wish I could have visited when I was in Copenhagan.
    xx spring xx

Totnes in devons a hippy haven... Grew up in the next town, still love wondering around the town browsing the market stalls and shops and chilling out in the nearby woods. If you ever head down there check out the woods at staverton

Way past the outer rings Change's Avatar
    The Isle of Harris
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Originally Posted by Tordisa
    Brighton!
    I was just wondering why no one had mentioned this obvious hippy retreat! Perhaps a little too hectic to be called a retreat, maybe an explosion...The Westcountry = one big hippy retreat!

Does anyone remember Mr Marvels Cafe in West Didsbury it was a fun place on a dark day Oh happy days