THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Definitive Travelling Scrapbook Thread

Paul copy it if you get chance. It only takes a vehicle to be nicked or a mishap and it's lost. We can sort out another scrap book and send that round with it being the start of the year it's quite appropriate
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Uncle jhad

I can't wait to see the scrapbook and can't wait to add something
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature
    An emotional day, as I witnessed the official handing over ceremony, the Scrapbook has a new guardian
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Lightbringer, marshlander, parrotandcrow

Don't dribble and make the pages stick together
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    An emotional day, as I witnessed the official handing over ceremony, the Scrapbook has a new guardian
    ... and I am pleased finally to be relieved of the burden. I did make UJ and Rainbo listen to me sing my contribution though.

Thanks for coming over. 'Twas really lovely to see you both again.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Lightbringer, Uncle jhad

If newbies are not yet trusted to look after it could we not at least have the chance to add to it?

Maybe that's a good idea to make it grow faster, to do a page or two on A4 paper and send them to whoever has the book.
    Anyone got thoughts on this?

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I think allowing other people to "experience" the book is still a better option, even if it has been travelling for several years. It's the journey that's part of it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Originally Posted by Paul
    I think allowing other people to "experience" the book is still a better option, even if it has been travelling for several years. It's the journey that's part of it.
    i agree, but how much longer before it's gone for good? Not saying deliberately but shit happens. Most of us have forgotten what was on page 2 already. The accumulative cost already is into the hundreds . One off pieces of art work could be Gone for good. No record of it's existence other than in the minds of 20 odd aging hippy mind crawlers. We have enough to send to print or copy and we could all buy a printed tea toweI. A lifetime of art work lost in a bus fire that I thought would never happen. A van full of tat that was stolen. Even bricks and mortar used for safe storage flooded, a result of burst water pipe in winter. Every book sucked up moisture like a sponge. If we had a second volume, there could be a 3rd volume. Not Travelling scrap book Attempt 3 or 4? even. Solo didn't get his chance. What's it averaging 6 people a year?
    I once had a badge with a silhouette of a hippy reclining in a chair, with his feet up on the desk and smoking a spliff.
    With the words "tomorrow we must get organised"

It's the journey that's part of it.
    what sat in a pile of somewhere to put it, a few journeys on a Post Office night train, retrieved from the recycling bin pile twice or I thought I would bump into them at the seaside. Everyone of us have had life happen to us during our custody of it.
    Had we considered the convenience of investing in 200 handmade single pages of recycled paper. Took the two years in a Labour of love to submit our page for beautiful binding. Then yes, the journey begins.
    My hospital records have travelled further and seen more action.

Heavenly Creature
    I've never seen this slow-travelling gem of hippy art, but I share AW's view that somehow it should be recorded before it vanishes.

Perhaps someone could scan it page by page, and assemble the pictures as an image gallery online or, if that's too much effort, just put the images through a DTP program and export it as an A4 PDF file, available to download by members of UKH.
    Paul could maybe even make a little dosh for the site: "Suggested donations of a 1 for a download very welcome"

Once scanned it could continue to travel, perhaps going someplace to be scanned once every year or so. That way at least we'd have something of a record of most of it; then if it got lost forever we'd have only lost the last year or so at maximum.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Lightbringer

If Paul was to see it in person, he would know the level of fine detail that could be lost or not picked up with a dimple scan. Most of these pieces are pen or pencil strokes of varying strength and depth of shade. A scanner will have its work cut out labouring to do them justice. A professional digital master copy we could all contribute to the commissioning of it doing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

I'd love to touch the book. Paul please can I be on the list
    I've been a very good girl

The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, Paul

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Some of the entries are also larger than a single page and others are intricately folded works of art. It ain't just any old book you know

Who has it now?

I'll update the list shortly including anyone above this post who's requested it ... and then close it pending a good think.

Who has it now?

I'll update the list shortly including anyone above this post who's requested it ... and then close it pending a good think.
    Cheers Paul. That will be the 3rd time the list has been closed for scanning. If in a couple of years it does get done. Remember to pm us so we can reminisce & probably order a tea towel. By my reckoning it will be 2019 late. Next time it should have a five year time scale, not many of us hang around after 5 years. Many who have contributed no longer contribute to the forum in posts. It may just get them to come back an tell us about their piece of art work.

Heavenly Creature

Who has it now?
    Rainbomama and myself now have the scrapbook Paul, it is well protected, tell us what you would like us to do with it once we have added our little something
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Ah OK.

Lightbringer next, and then back to me (2 years late) for some scanning/photographing, and nobody else until we can be clear on its future and safety.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Cobra, Lightbringer, marshlander

Heavenly Creature
    Paul, the book is now less than 60 miles from you, and you wish to send it back into the wilderness? What madness is this?

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    Paul, the book is now less than 60 miles from you, and you wish to send it back into the wilderness? What madness is this?
    you just want to meet our Gandalf.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    you just want to meet our Gandalf.
    No! I would not presume such a thing

Yay! I can't wait hehe

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Yay! I can't wait hehe
    Just remember, the book holds many secrets, (handle) with care. If your children get to touch some of the (pages) make sure they wash their hands before putting their fingers in their mouth. Better still lock your children in a strong wooden chest. Prop a chair against the room door, close all windows and curtains. UV is the books (pages) worst enemy.
    Don't answer the door to any strangers untill the book is entrusted to the Royal Mail who only use the red vans. They will give you a receipt of postage (this will guarantee they are real Royal Mail) & that the recipient will only take possession if they hold the same signature of our unspoken leader and guardian of all scriptures know to not be fake.

If you succeed in this quest to return the Definitive UKH Scrapbook to the Refurbished Tower of our grey Lord Paul. You may just acquire your very own cutie mark on your left and right flank on your arrival at Dovedale. Lastly but most importantly - let your kids out of the wooden box before you get reported & let some light in.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Lightbringer, marshlander, Paul

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Just remember, the book holds many secrets, (handle) with care. If your children get to touch some of the (pages) make sure they wash their hands before putting their fingers in their mouth. Better still lock your children in a strong wooden chest. Prop a chair against the room door, close all windows and curtains. UV is the books (pages) worst enemy.
    Don't answer the door to any strangers untill the book is entrusted to the Royal Mail who only use the red vans. They will give you a receipt of postage (this will guarantee they are real Royal Mail) & that the recipient will only take possession if they hold the same signature of our unspoken leader and guardian of all scriptures know to not be fake.

If you succeed in this quest to return the Definitive UKH Scrapbook to the Refurbished Tower of our grey Lord Paul. You may just acquire your very own cutie mark on your left and right flank on your arrival at Dovedale. Lastly but most importantly - let your kids out of the wooden box before you get reported & let some light in.

lol do I have to let them out?